Create Account

Way too early look at S46 SMJHL Class
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2019, 09:51 PM by blix900.)

It's early in the SMJHL season as we've seen most teams play a total of 5 games so far. Here we take a look at the top five point producing forwards in the S46 SMJHL Draft Class through either four or five games. Now it may be a small sample size, but being 10% of the season, five games likely has a decent chance of forecasting the rest of the season (except for that it definitely won't).

1st - Joseph Laraque - HAL - 5 GP, 2 Goals, 3 Assists

In the rookie's first game he potted three assists, earning him the first star leading Halifax to a 4-3 win over his personal rival Jax Duggan and the Vancouver Whalers. He didn't put up his next point until his fourth game, scoring the second goal of the game in a three goal first period for the Raiders leading to a 4-3 win for the club over the Outlaws. He scored his second goal in the Raiders fifth game of the season, unfortunately the Raiders fell to the Kelowna 6-2 in their first loss of the season. Laraque has averaged 14:38 per game on the second line, including some power play time on Halifax's second unit. He is a +2 and is shooting at a great clip with 28.57%.

"Most people would look at stats to prove 'best rookie forward' or other stuff like that. But not me. I only use advanced Corsi tactics known as the E.Y.E. test, which stands for Eye look at them, You look at them, Everyone looks at them test. Now, Laraque? He looks pretty good, he's thicc, he can shoot. When I scream at my television to shoot, he sometimes does, and that's pretty good. I think he should grow a beard." - Hockey Insider (Gecko)

2nd - Cullen Gray - VAN - 5 GP, 1 Goal, 3 Assists

Gray has been the model of consistency so far on the score sheet, posting a point in four out of five games to start the season. If he was on a better team, he likely would be producing at a higher clip, hard to imagine a rookie producing better than a point per game. The knock on Gray is his 7.69% shooting percentage, being the lowest out of this crop of rookies. That low of a percentage isn't likely to continue with a player of this skill level though, so look for the Whaler's rookie to get some better puck luck in the future. Don't be alarmed by his -3 plus minus rating, as it all came in the game against Halifax where his line was heavily outmatched. Gray has averaged 17:20 on the ice so far and has been trusted on the Whaler's 2nd power play unit.

"Cullen is the opposite of streaky. He is likely the best candidate to lead the league in rookie scoring this year based on the sample size we have to look at so far. It helps being on Vancouver where as a rookie he is one of the better forwards on the team." - Hockey Insider

3rd - Isaiah Reece - HAL - 5 GP, 1 Goal, 3 Assist

Isaiah Reece's first point came in the Raider's second game of the season where he added a helper in the second period on the Raider's second goal of the contest. It was in Halifax's third game where the rookie really showed his talents scoring the tying goal in the 3rd and adding an assist on Halifax's first goal of the game. He earned the first star in this game pushing the Raider's to a comeback win over the Anchorage Armada. He added his final assist in the five games in game four when he assisted Kobe Krisp in the 1st period. Reece is shooting at an alarming rate of 33.33%, only trailing Krisp in the crop of rookies outlined in this post. He's also been a key cog on the fourth line for the Raiders winning over 55% of his face-offs thus far. Lastly, he is averaging 8:35 of ice time on Halifax's 4th line.

"This kid doesn't have as bright of a future as the others in this list, but he is proving his worth on the stacked Raiders so far. Come playoff time this fourth line will add the depth needed to go all the way." - Hockey Insider

4th - Kobe Krisp - HAL - 5 GP, 2 Goals, 1 Assist

Krisp got off to a bit of a slow start, being shut out on the scoreboard in his first two contests in the SMJHL. It wasn't until the Raider's third game where he showed his skill as well (is it obvious that Reece and Krisp are on a line together?) and also put up a goal and an assist. He finished up his point producing in this five game span in the fourth game where he scored the third goal in the first period offensive outburst for the Raiders. Krisp is shooting at an impossible rate of 40.00% and it definitely will not stay that way. Nevertheless, he leads the five rookies here by a tally of over 6%. On a line with Reece he has averaged 8:47 of ice time so far this season.

"The only word to describe Krisp being here is an absolute surprise. He shouldn't have 3 points so far, likely being carried by Reece. Maybe he can keep up the production but I'd say it's highly doubtful." - Hockey Insider

5th - Jules L'Eclaire - LBL - 5 GP, 2 Goals, 1 Assist

Jules L'Eclaire might actually be the best scorer out of this group as he's scored twice for the Lions while not being featured much on the power play. He could be the best 5 on 5 player out of the group as well. Starting the season on Lethbridge's 1st line he scored in his first game and added an assist in the second. For some reason he found himself demoted in the 3rd game of the season where he struggled to make a mark on the game. The Lions did shutout the Raptors in their 3rd game though. The Lions have stuck with the demotion, and as a result L'Eclaire has only posted one point in his last three games. Jules has averaged 15:46 minutes of ice time thus far, but that number is likely to decrease to somewhere around the 12:00 mark. Tying Isaiah Reece, Jules is scoring at a 33.33% rate.

"Jules is a stand-up player and we really wish them well in the season. It's going to be a mediocre season for Lethbridge, but Jules will be one of their positive notes as they try to build towards the future." - Hockey Insider

"Reece and Krisp? I'm not actually sure who these guys are."
glances at smjhl scoreboard
"OH THOSE GUYS! you know, they're pretty good, i think. Look at those points! This is sustainable." - Hockey Insiders (Gecko)

[Image: blix900.gif]

[Image: QwTZD8C.png][Image: iemKOIk.png]

Rivalry has to go 2 ways, I don't consider you a rival...

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

02-28-2019, 09:42 PMSecondSucks22 Wrote: Rivalry has to go 2 ways, I don't consider you a rival...

Whatever you say bud

[Image: blix900.gif]

[Image: QwTZD8C.png][Image: iemKOIk.png]

02-28-2019, 09:42 PMSecondSucks22 Wrote: Rivalry has to go 2 ways, I don't consider you a rival...

You guys didn't shut up for like 5 days in discord so I'm gonna say this is a lie and you do.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

02-28-2019, 10:01 PMJNH Wrote:

You guys didn't shut up for like 5 days in discord so I'm gonna say this is a lie and you do.

Nope, I've dropped it, did a whole press conference about it

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

I think it's way too early to be having a look at the draft class

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]