Create Account

HIRING: SHL Awards Committee
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019, 10:36 AM by Baelor Swift.)

Hiring: SHL Awards Committee

As the newly hired SHL Awards Committee Head, I am looking to design a more robust awards selection process for the league. Awards are a very important part of any league, be it real or just a sim league, and are an essential part of league history and league records and I want to make the sure committee treats it as such. As a result, I want to make sure the committee is filled with members who share similar views on the importance of the awards committee and are willing to put in the time and effort to ensure that the most deserving players and/or members are awarded.

Some key things to consider:
-We will 100% be moving to a private ballot system (of which all votes will be released to the committee after awards have been tallied)
-Familiarity with ice hockey and advanced statistics is strongly preferred
-Prior to voting on Season 46 Awards, we will be reviewing the standards for current awards and potentially adding a new award. Participation in these discussions is mandatory and if you are hired and do not participate, you will be replaced.

We are in need of at least one new SHL Awards Committee Member for this season, to start work immediately. Responsibilities/Qualifications include:
-Familiarity with and willingness to incorporate traditional statistics along with advanced statistics such as possession metrics, giveaways and takeaways, and win shares
-Timely delivery of awards nominations with justifications and references to resources provided (deadlines are generally set 1 week+ in advance although a tighter turnaround may be needed this season due to the need of a replacement)
-Timely voting on awards in an unbiased manner

Applications
Please send all applications to me. Applications should include answers to each of the questions below:

Why are you qualified for this position? What are your motivations for applying?

How would you approach evaluating players for awards with the limited availability of statistics that we have?

How familiar are you with ice hockey and the various statistics that can be used to evaluate player performance? Is there any one (or more) statistic available to us that you believe is not properly utilised by the SHL in terms of evaluating player performance?

Do you have any questions for me? Any additional information?

Deadline: Friday, July 20 @ 11:59 PM EST

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

Big moves! Looking forward to a more consistent and serious approach on awards in this league. This is good.

Doubt is a dream killer

What new award?

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Aren't votes done by private ballot already?

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

03-11-2019, 10:19 AMr1c3bowl22 Wrote: Aren't votes done by private ballot already?

Not when I was on a few seasons ago.

2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*

03-11-2019, 10:19 AMr1c3bowl22 Wrote: Aren't votes done by private ballot already?

Nominations no, votes yes.

Voting by committee members has not been private to other committee members. I was not sure how it was done before applying, although it was a concern I explicitly mentioned in my app, but since getting the position, I have even seen two identical ballots for S45 awards, which to me is completely unacceptable. The idea is that we should be aggregating a handful of qualified members' careful analyses of which players should be recognized for a given award in order to determine who is most deserving.

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue

^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS

03-11-2019, 10:51 AMBaelor Swift Wrote:
Voting by committee members has not been private to other committee members. I was not sure how it was done before applying, although it was a concern I explicitly mentioned in my app, but since getting the position, I have even seen two identical ballots for S45 awards, which to me is completely unacceptable. The idea is that we should be aggregating a handful of qualified members' careful analyses of which players should be recognized for a given award in order to determine who is most deserving.

I assume you are talking about the nominations, which are public? Because the actual voting on the winners has been done in private in the last few seasons and I haven't seen another members votes since.

03-11-2019, 10:59 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
03-11-2019, 10:51 AMBaelor Swift Wrote: Voting by committee members has not been private to other committee members. I was not sure how it was done before applying, although it was a concern I explicitly mentioned in my app, but since getting the position, I have even seen two identical ballots for S45 awards, which to me is completely unacceptable. The idea is that we should be aggregating a handful of qualified members' careful analyses of which players should be recognized for a given award in order to determine who is most deserving.

I assume you are talking about the nominations, which are public? Because the actual voting on the winners has been done in private in the last few seasons and I haven't seen another members votes since.

Sure, the one that is public, I noticed two that were completely identical. One was copied with the simple addition/omission of team abbreviations.

^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS

what's the pay

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

03-11-2019, 10:47 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: Not when I was on a few seasons ago.
Wasn't I the head when you were on it? The votes were definitely 100% private to all other members except me, since I was tallying up votes. Only other way to have done it is Google sheets, which would have been 100% private to all members including me....but I didn't think about that until just now. But even then, I didn't vote since I saw the votes and thought it'd be weird.

03-11-2019, 10:51 AMBaelor Swift Wrote: Voting by committee members has not been private to other committee members. I was not sure how it was done before applying, although it was a concern I explicitly mentioned in my app, but since getting the position, I have even seen two identical ballots for S45 awards, which to me is completely unacceptable. The idea is that we should be aggregating a handful of qualified members' careful analyses of which players should be recognized for a given award in order to determine who is most deserving.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm voting was def private when I was committee head. Just interesting to see. Good on ya for trying to do that again.

03-11-2019, 10:48 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Nominations no, votes yes.
I thought it was good for nominations to NOT be private because it speeds up the discussion process, instead of waiting for everyone to send the Head nominations and then post. Instead, you can just discuss as people nominate people.

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

--------------------
Player Page | Updates

03-11-2019, 02:34 PMr1c3bowl22 Wrote:
03-11-2019, 10:47 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: Not when I was on a few seasons ago.
Wasn't I the head when you were on it? The votes were definitely 100% private to all other members except me, since I was tallying up votes. Only other way to have done it is Google sheets, which would have been 100% private to all members including me....but I didn't think about that until just now. But even then, I didn't vote since I saw the votes and thought it'd be weird.

If I recall correctly Izzy or someone else was the head.

03-11-2019, 04:03 PMArGarBarGar Wrote:
03-11-2019, 02:34 PMr1c3bowl22 Wrote: Wasn't I the head when you were on it? The votes were definitely 100% private to all other members except me, since I was tallying up votes. Only other way to have done it is Google sheets, which would have been 100% private to all members including me....but I didn't think about that until just now. But even then, I didn't vote since I saw the votes and thought it'd be weird.

If I recall correctly Izzy or someone else was the head.
Hmmm Izzy was the one after me.

--------------------
Player Page | Updates

03-11-2019, 02:34 PMr1c3bowl22 Wrote:
03-11-2019, 10:48 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Nominations no, votes yes.
I thought it was good for nominations to NOT be private because it speeds up the discussion process, instead of waiting for everyone to send the Head nominations and then post. Instead, you can just discuss as people nominate people.

Yeah that's how I see it as well, have some discussions for the nomination process to minimize the change of people being missed or to point out flaws in certain players, but then have the voting for the actual winners be private so that people dont influence each other too much.

Any more applicants?

^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS