Create Account

S46 PT #4 - Discord Commissioner
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2019, 06:22 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

[Image: BzeAzsR.png]

THIS PT IS FOR SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. IT IS NOT FOR SMJHL ROOKIES.

When talking about SHL activity the elephant in the room is discord. The league wants and needs the site to be its main selling point but recognizes and appreciates that Discord has carved a significant role within the community. This tight rope which the league straddles has left discord in many respects a place of untapped resources.

Written Task:  Today the SHL has gone all in by naming you the leagues first ever SHL Discord commissioner! with unlimited power over the whole league channel what would you do??  What ideas or changes would you consider? would you add any channels, bots or other discord friendly additions? would you make or modify any rules? what would some of your strategic plans be between discord and the SHL/SMJHL under your reign?... the floor is yours, feel free to dance!  (must be 150 words or more)

*If you are not a fan or not a member of discord than talk to us about your teams website locker room and ways in which you would utilize it better if you were given the assignment of bolstering website LR activity in the discord era. (must be 150 words or more)

Graphic Task: Create a campaign style poster of what you would do as discord Commish! graphic should include a poster title, your name and render, a discord related picture and 4 bullet points of information about what you plan to do as discord commish.

Additional Information
You will receive 3 capped TPE for fulfilling all requirements.
This PT will close Sunday, March 24 at 10PM EST.

Welfare claims from either PBE or the NSFL are accepted!  *if you’re claiming welfare and have a different username on the affiliates site then you need to state that in your post to get credit.*

Any questions/concerns, please PM me.
Note: Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2019, 12:12 AM by White Cornerback.)

Alright cunts this is how you fix your discord

>delete it
As it stands there's too much pure shit on there right now and it's not worth your time re-fixing shite. Plus there's lot of IA accounts in there making clutter

>create a new discord, incl
general
offtopic
SHL
SMJHL
games

give or take a few more maybe music or food, within general there are no strict topics. within all the others it has to be related

>create some roles inc
team roles
gm roles
HO roles
grader roles
Basically copy what the NSFL does now. It boggles the mind that you guys claim the discord is unofficial but its on your official site. I fail to fathom who thought this true.

>make discord official

>implement other ideas like idk maybe the odd money for talking about the league or even better a random lottery bot enabled which maybe rewards any discord user in the chat with 10m a month, idk spitballing

>have people moderate the chat and do their jobs

> things you should not do

try and enforce team LR's within the general chat because
>you will no doubt fuck up the perms at somepoint and people will be able to see into various LR's
>you will also somehow try to outdo yourselves and plummet HO approval ratings down to the centre of the earth by instilling a big brother mentality. The sole reason for team channels in discord would not be ease, but rather an ability to spy on teams. I mean for fuck sakes the entire expansion debacle looked and felt like a headache for teams in the past who expanded, yet this expansion featured a member of HO who was GM'ing a team and surprise, both teams are given a much more favourable expansion draft, but I digress.

Encourage pingy spam or pingybot, just mindless drivel
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 05:45 PM by JSS.)

Ok first off, we gonna yeet that bitch outta of space and all the way to Ben Water's basement in Jupiter. That discord is so dead and there is really no point in trying to fix it. There are also way too many inactive accounts and it just clutters everything. Next step, make a new discord and make that bitch official. It's time that SHL finally has a proper discord. Next thing we add proper channels, only essential channels tbh. I hate when convo is spread out. We want to make the discord seem active as possible. Then we gonna set everyone up with proper roles, upload proper emotes, update the team list, etc. Then I gonna make mr noot noot himself a mod. Yes, Pingoon will become the new mod of the discord and will be co discord commish along with me. With pingy, that discord will never have nothing going on it.

[Image: 3.png]

ph

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

Wow are we allowed to say cunt now

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

Wow I would do a lot of things like first of all I would appoint someone Role Czar and put them in charge of making sure everyone had the correct team roles in the discord and then I would cut down on the number of channels we have like right now we're at Rules, General, SHL, SMJHL, Draft, IIHF, NHL, Gaming, Music, Pets, Smash Bruhs, Dev, Emojis, Pokemon, and Food and that's a few too many so I would re-organize that into General, Hockey, Off Topic, Pets, and Spam because 5 channels really ought to be enough and we could quarantine all the dumb shit in the Spam channel and leave General (league stuff), Hockey (non-SHL hockey stuff), and Off Topic (everything else) as general guidelines for the majority of conversation and then next I would ban all objectionable fans so wild and red wings fans would get the boot as would leafs fans and penguins fans and most boston fans as well as an insta-ban for anyone using +/- in anything other than a mocking manner.

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

Did I? I forgot. Tongue

~

Please give me control over that goddamn server, Storm is inactive. The first thing I'll do is set up proper categories for the channel groups. Then I'll set up a mask request channel, so that people aren't stuck with masks forever for an entire previous year. I'll appoint 3 or 4 other admins to help keep on top of those requests, too.

Then, it's time to think about the channels themselves. Firstly, that pokemon channel can get bent. The pokemon bot is old, boring, and missing most of the option egg and TM moves anyway, so actually building a pokemon is pointless. That bot can be replaced with Dadbot, and also Stepdadbot, because we should have both. Then, I'll set up a proper memes channel. The absence of any real memes channel on that server essentially eliminates any desire for me to use it anyway, so I'll need one immediately.

Finally, I'll unban gorlab. Not because he'll be actually unbanned from the SHL, but because he's actually chill to talk with.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

As the new SHL Discord Commissioner, I would want to clean up the server first and foremost. There are way too many channels and we can condense those down. After that, I'd make sure roles are set and always updated. This is important so that anyone, at any time, can find the right person for their questions. For one of the channels, I'd like to have one where people can go in and ask a question about something on the site. For example, if someone had a question about a PT, they could in there, tag the PT team, and hopefully get a quick response. This would be easier than having to find each member of the PT team on the forum and send them each a PM.

Another thing I would like to see is a channel to advertise big things on the site so that we still get heavy traffic on the forum. It could be a tag for when the sim is up, when a league announcement is made, a quality piece of media is posted, and so on. I like Discord and understand the role it plays in the league, but the lifeblood is still the forum and I would want the traffic to still go through the site. This could hopefully get more eyes on things on the website.

(224 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
0-0-0
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

Discord is all about managing channels and having the proper bots in place. Having the standard pokemon and adventure pots are a staple but there are other areas we can look into. Channel wise? One for each of the leagues, SHL/SMJHL/IIHF/WJC. I would also like a separate channel for awards discussion here people can talk about award races and debate other matters league wide concerning statistics. A league development channel to talk about suggestions and what is actually being done in the league. Obviously some things should be kept in HO but a lot of people in discord could use a sneak peak. Perhaps a podcast archive section that links major verified SHL podcasts? A build help channel would be nice, to guide newcomers that don't quite know which attributes do what without searching through the forum. Essentially, I would make everything very easy to find in discord and make rules accessible. Discord is all about making life easier!

160 Worderinos

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]

I'm a big advocate for Forum Locker Room. I love them. I remember a day on the SHL where you would log on and the LR would be going through pages and pages of comments. Sitting in the Hamilton Stleehawks LR, sometimes we couldn't even believe how many pages we went through. Those are good days and for me, anything that's on the site is better than what's off the site in most cases (unless it's the VHL's amazing portal). I'm the VHLM commissioner and I still largely preach "forum, forum" but do too realize that Discord is a big thing for it. In the VHL, I'm also a GM and I dearly miss the days where the LR's were bumping but I think it's a pretty normal thing now that Discord>Forum for locker rooms. It's not a bad thing and activity is great in some I'm in, but it doesn't feel the same as the Forum LR's.

If I were named commissioner, I would immediately hire three trusted members to moderate the chats. There's areas where you can do specific things, but I think we all know how much negativity toxic members, topics and situations can bring. It can wreck it for members and that's something we should never want. We're all here for the common goal of enjoying the site and at the end of things, this should be taken into account. You'd make sure you have all your links and rules, roles and all of that nature, maybe even with a bot in a section that mentions trades and scores (if there isn't).

Lastly, clean, neat and organization. Get rid of the shit that clutters (topics or threads which aren't needed). Have what you need and some minor extra. Make it enjoyable but don't make it a joke. Have your help threads, maybe your PT threads ETC. Make members want to come on Discord and have Discord be a healthy outlet that reminds them when a Pt has to be done or when the claim is up etc. Have a news or announcement section too if there isn't. I'm not in the SHL Discord and haven't been for a very long time Smile

[Image: ThdtxoF.png]

|| Fujikawa Player Page || Update Page ||

If I was discord commish I would clean up all the channels and get rid of most of them. Basically I would want a channel for memes of any kind. I would also want a channel for @Samee created SHL memes. He makes some real quality and I wish we had a dedicated section somewhere for SHL memes. I would want two new side locker rooms one would be for Women Only and one for Men Only. These channels could give people a chance to have a real life locker room experience online. It would be cool if there was one channel that was just pings each time games happened. Could have some normal channels like pictures of pets are great and gaming channels. It would be cool to have more events happen for the community that maybe weren't just the sims like more gaming nights. I think there is too many people for the league wide discord to be that great as it would be too much to keep up with.

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

Here is my outlined plan for discord.

Step one: we as a community need to decide exactly what role discord will play in this league and react accordingly. From my experience discord is only used to attempt to annoy pingy and for individual teams. If we are happy with that, than my only job will be to make it so we can all read the #rules section.

If we are not, than my next step would be to give all teams their own private channels. I would require those teams to use those channels and make any other discord an “unofficial” discord. The reason? Because if our discord is going to support the league, the channel should be regulated. This will not be a popular move, I’m sure, and I will catch some shit for it. However, the logic makes sense. If discord is going to be used for more than memes, than it needs structure and teams being recognized and represented on there will be a very important step for that.

Also, I would make the league have weekly discussions, an open place to complain in real time and get real time answers.

Lastly, I would eliminate the GM discords for 2 channels each on the public discord. There is no reason to have so many channels.

Or, leave it the exact way it is for shit posts and memes. It is your call!

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2019, 06:06 PM by ViN.)

[Image: Gu0aLiu.png]

[Image: TqPg1ou.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png] [Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: wu5MVvy.png%5D]

You wanna know what I'd do as Discord Commish? I'd delete it. Discord is absolute garbage and has ruined the connection between teammates.

I remember coming into the league and all I could do was bond with my teammates through our locker room. It brought us together and made us friends. I remember being alienated in New England and feeling like an outcast because they used SKYPE of all things. Who the hell even Skypes anymore?

Now, I have to be tethered to a discord server that isn't just my teammates, and have to sift through stupid usernames to figure out what meme people changed their names to as the flavor of the week. It's stupid as hell.

Then, I have to figure out who's on my team and who's not... and sift through hours of pointless conversation to find anything relevant. Back on the forums it was a slower pace, and you could go to YOUR last post and see what happened since you talked.

My discords are all muted. Unless someone @s me, I don't get on. Or unless I need to be snarky.

Discord sucks. It's killed the league. Get over it.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

03-17-2019, 10:10 AMDurden Wrote: You wanna know what I'd do as Discord Commish? I'd delete it. Discord is absolute garbage and has ruined the connection between teammates.

I remember coming into the league and all I could do was bond with my teammates through our locker room. It brought us together and made us friends. I remember being alienated in New England and feeling like an outcast because they used SKYPE of all things. Who the hell even Skypes anymore?

Now, I have to be tethered to a discord server that isn't just my teammates, and have to sift through stupid usernames to figure out what meme people changed their names to as the flavor of the week. It's stupid as hell.

Then, I have to figure out who's on my team and who's not... and sift through hours of pointless conversation to find anything relevant. Back on the forums it was a slower pace, and you could go to YOUR last post and see what happened since you talked.

My discords are all muted. Unless someone @s me, I don't get on. Or unless I need to be snarky.

Discord sucks. It's killed the league. Get over it.

the future is now old man.jpeg

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e