Create Account

S46 PT #4 - Discord Commissioner

So for some strange reason we've decided to become a discord league, and you've decided I should undertake the process of setting it up. It likely will be a huge, unmanageable, cluttered mess, but I would have a text chat channel for all of the current subforums on the site. Teams would have their own private channels, and things like activity checks, point tasks, and bank withdrawals would be public. Do to discords structure it would be an absolute nightmare trying to moderate these channels, keep permissions straight, and grade point tasks or confirm updates. GMs would have less control over their team's channels, and HO would be able to spy on all team channels. GMs would just break off of the SHL discord server and create their own team servers, resulting in a similar situation to what we have now, except the whole site is on 1 discord server. Ultimately this would be a huge waste of time, and wouldn't solve any of the leagues issues related to locker rooms and team discords.

[Image: Crawfling2.png]

Well, if I've been named the commissioner of the league's discord server, then something has probably gone wrong. I would start off with eliminating many of the channels that currently exist. We don't need a #food channel, that discussion can go in #general. We don't need a #pokemon channel, that can be done in a different server entirely. The Pokebot spam is annoying enough as is. #emojis is unnecessary, just... post your emojis. You don't need a channel for it at all. #dev seems like a useful channel, but something that's likely better off as a separate server entirely. #smash should be rolled into the #gaming channel. The #iihf and #draft channels should be rolled into the #shl and #smjhl channels. #nhl should probably be rolled into #general, but I understand trying to keep it isolated from sim league talk to avoid confusion and spam. So, yeah, I'd want to make sure we eliminate unnecessary channels and nearly halve the channel total. Then we can focus on chat content, discord policy, etc.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 05:58 PM by c00kies.)

I would add a game channel for the entire SHL, that way everyone can get to know each other instead of just their teammates, as is common in the NHL. Some of these games would include Cards Against Humanity, a Rotating DJ (so everyone can share their musical tastes), and any other games that are suggested. Additionally,tThere could even be a dedicated game night so that it isn't always a random cluster trying to get together, though those times would also be welcomed. I would also add an "SHL Questions" channel, where anyone can post questions about the SHL, their build, money, etc...and get an answer from SHL Veterans.

I noticed that a lot of the rarely used channels clog up notifications, so I would remove those channels and see about potentially adding those channels back (if it is a popular enough request) in a White noise section that won't interfere with everyone else's regular Discord. This would help others avoid getting overwhelmed by all the notifications, and increase the importance of the actual needed notifications.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 06:29 PM by Ask.)

Discord is perfect for team discussions and it is especially fun with the IIHF when you feel that team spirit competing for your country. If I was to change something it would be a better structure so things would work much more like the site itself. It is difficult to know who is who, what their player is and where they belong. A better structure to see who is a junior, a prospect, a General Manager etc. It would make things a lot easier when you are planning the team you are building, creating lines and things like that. Maybe a junior section for every team and same with the IIHF having a WJC section within each team. Control the channels from above because they are all very different and it is difficult to find what you are looking for. This is just one of the things I would change. Not a big problem but it would save us a lot of hassle.

163 words

[Image: TtSHTwn.png]

Player Page | Update Thread
[Image: VhDOEWm.png]

if the job on the simulation hockey league site "discord commissioner" became a job on the simulation hockey league site and I, gary grease was hired to be the discord commissioner for the simulation hockey league site I would do lots of things. first of all on the official simulation hockey league discord server I would rule with an iron fist, and ban anyone who says things I do not agree with. I would make a second rules channel that nobody can read inside of the simulation hockey league official league discord, and I would ban all of the spammers as well. Most people I know on the simulation hockey league forums have the simulation hockey league official discord server muted because of one unnamed person who is constantly spamming every channel with annoying nonsense. I would also try to have the official simulation hockey league discord server conversation relate more to what is happening on the forums, as it should be an extension of the forums rather than its own separate thing.

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

The first thing I would do after taking the mantle of Discord commish would be to add Pingy bot to the server with admin permissions. A tool like this could make everyone's lives much easier. Next on the docket would be to remove or reorganize many of the channels that are under used or under utilized. The server is a bit cluttered in my eyes and needs better organization for a better user experience. Next up, add an announcement system for trades and contract extensions. Yes, they will still be posted on the forums, but having them on the discord server as well will increase the amount of activity on the official server, which is not used nearly as much as it could be. Finally, a possible migration of all team and country discords onto the official server, with privacy settings and better team tags for everyone would create a large amount of daily activity on the official server.

If I was discord commish the first thing I would do is get rid of all the unnecessary clutter channels and have only two channels: general and pokemon. Then I would tie in a level system with the pokemon so that only the top pokemon masters in the discord have any privilege or rights. The pokemonless peasants can be stuck with slow mode and barely anything they're able to do meanwhile the chads of the discord server who have mewtwos and entei's will be equipped with admin powers so strong that the few weaklings who refuse to catch strong pokemon will be crushed under the oppressive regime of the pokemon master's rule. To me, this is the only way to properly run the discord server and until the official SHL discord server abides by these means then it will be cursed to fail for the rest of eternity.

151 words

[Image: OzriPox.png]

Player Page - Update Page

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho

If I was named SHL's discord commish with unlimited power, would that mean that I could do anything I want with no repercussions or being fired. I guess that kinda happens with some commish's anyways. If I was made discord commish the first thing i would do is unban Chris McZehrl if he hasn't already been unbanned since I have no idea why he was even banned in the first place and by someone who doesn't even have power in the SHL or was that active in SHL at that time. Maybe he did something super worse than his usual Mczing that I dont know about. The second thing I would do is that if were actually going to use this discord and make it a community and the "official SHL discord" then it would have to be advertised more on the SHL. Ideally it would be a FFA all insults allowed zone but that probably wont be a good look so could have timeouts like other leagues, also a new player subchannel for new members for nice like VHL really we should just steal everything the VHL discord has and make it better since copying from VHL and improving on it is always good.

[Image: Kylrad2.gif]
[Image: Kylrad.gif]

Please, god, not another commissioner job. Personally I hate the discord and never go in it (usually I forget it even exists) but the number one complaint people send to me is definitely spamming, so I think that's where I'd start. Find a bot that will take away people's posting permissions and purge their recent posts if they're spamming too much, and you'll resolve the number one complaint we see coming from that discord. The second thing would be cleaning it up - why do we have so many channels? We already have sections on the forum to talk about all of these things, so why do we need discord sections too? We can definitely cut out a good number of them. Finally, I think the last thing to do is put a bunch of people in charge of that. That place is a toxic hellhole, so you'll have to start by scrubbing everything with a pretty tough brush - might I suggest steel wool?

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

[Image: image0.png?width=696&height=703]

Germany Elk Aurora [Image: vKrOFwy.png] [Image: VbtOVyg.png] Aurora Elk Germany

[Image: Thunder39.gif]

My first step as discord commissioner would be to root through all the message histories of the more locked down channels. As I have been attesting over the past few months, something large is at stake and there's some shady going ons happening. I'll combine that with my current knowledge and use it to be able to remove those parties from our discord to make it more player friendly, and allow them a free and open space to not be manipulated by the shadow organization.

My next step would be a complete revamp of the rules involving profane language. Too long people have gotten away with saying things (please skip ahead should you not want to see these terrible words) like 'heck' and 'dang'. I propose that as discord commissioner, any use of those words and many others (I will create a comprehensive list) lead to an immediate and permanent ban from the server with no chance of appeal. I will try to work with the head office in order to get them banned from the site as well, but I feel that they like having this type of riff raff in the league to keep things interesting

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]

If i got the great opportunity to be the official shl discord commissioner i would immediately delete the channel. Discord has ruined the shl, and board activity in my opinion and I think calling the shl discord any sort of official is ridiculou, especially when certain members can be banned from the discord with no reason on the "commissioners" whim. So i guess I would just ban every member because i can then add some channels for me to promote my stream and brag about my players stats to myself. Then id bring gorlab in the discord and then unban everyone so that gorlab would be the first member of the discord other than myself and have seniority on everyone. I think these are all incredible ideas but i also think locker rooms and board discussion was way better, and now people just talk shit behind peoples backs instead of to their face which is dumb

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

If the SHL were wise enough to make me the discord commissioner I would do what has to be done. I would take it on myself to eliminate discord entirely from the SHL. I know people love going on there, and they would still be able to do so. There would simply be no connection between the league and discord in any way, no acknowledgement of its existence frankly. While it may foster discussion between people on the site, it effectively kills discussion on the site. The forum is deader than disco and has been for a long time. That discord is too blame for this can hardly be denied. I’m not saying it doesn’t have its place, but it’s place is not as some sort of proxy SHL site. You, literally, cannot fully participate in the SHL now without going on this separate chat site that I have no interest in. It’s ridiculous. Let’s get rid of this thing and actually talk on the forums

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

If I were to create a new Discord for the Simulation Hockey League, something that is much needed since most of the site now takes place on discord anyways, I would completely nuke the old one. it is filled with inactive users and I think it would be good to totally start with a clean slate. First, we will need a general channel, where all talks about the league will go. The general should be for league talk only. Then, for pff topic discussion, we can have a separate channel for that, called off topic or something like that. There are also wayyyyy too many channels in the current SHL Discord, and I feel like those can be consolidated much better. I also think that it is important that roles in the discord will always be updated and up to date so everyone can have their team identity in the discord.

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

Thread is now closed.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria