Create Account

Poll: Who should we name the Defensive Defenseman Trophy for?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Alonzo Garbanzo
25.00%
12 25.00%
Bojo Biscuit
41.67%
20 41.67%
Willie Weber
33.33%
16 33.33%
Total 48 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

League-Wide Voting: Defensive Defenseman Award
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 07:12 AM by Baelor Swift.)

Hey everyone,

While this announcement is something that, I think, has been expected for a long time now, I am happy to be able to finally make it a reality. We will be adding a new award that will be handed out for the first time at the Season 46 SHL Awards Show - an award for the top defensive defenseman in the SHL. But now, we want to ask the SHL who the award should be named for. The Award Committee has narrowed the options down to three players... Choose wisely!

Alonzo Garbanzo - Link Here to Career Stats
A 24-season player in the SHL, Garbanzo just recently retired after Season 44. A sure-fire Hall of Famer, he ended his career as the league's third all-time scorer with 973 points and set the record for most Scott Stevens Trophies won over a career. However, that's not to say he wasn't just as strong defensively. His 2587 career hits rank sixth all time and third among defensemen. Moreover, his 1882 shot blocks are first in SHL by a huge margin - the second ranked shot blocker has just 1322.

Bojo Biscuit - Link Here to Career Stats
A member of the Season 38 Hall of Fame class, Bojo Biscuit was known for his ferocious physical play in his 17 seasons in the SHL. His 1945 career hits rank 27th all-time and his 1120 shot blocks rank 14th. He was also one of the most penalized players ever, racking up 1473 penalty minutes, second most by a single player ever in the SHL.

Willie Weber - Link Here to Career Stats
Weber, a member of the Season 32 Hall of Fame class, played a total of 21 seasons in the SHL. While not a major offensive force, he shined as a prototypical defensive defenseman. His 3169 career hits rank second all-time and first among defensemen while his 1190 shots blocked rank tenth all time. The one time Scott Stevens Trophy winner was also an intensely aggressive player, racking up the third most penalty minutes of all time with 1431.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 07:59 AM by Tomen.)

Garbanzo kinda always felt like a more offensive Defender to me while Bojo or Weber kinda fit the mold of a defensive defender more for me than Garbanzo. Interesting that Garbanzo wasn't much of a hitter in his first 2 seasons and later on when he regressed comapred to Weber or Bojo who immediately started laying out his. Of these 3 it seems that Weber was the only one still having quite a decent amount of checking left into his last seasons as a player.

I'd rather see the Stevens be re-named to Garbanzo than him being the name sake of the defensive defender award would just be more fitting.

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Honestly, between those 3, Garbanzo is actually the most defensive defender. Weber barely averaged 50 shot blocks a season, Biscuit wasn't that much higher, and no defensive defenceman worth their salt should be setting PIM records.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Couldn't we have a mixed name award? like the Garbanzo-Biscuit Trophy or something?

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Award should be named after a more unsung player imo. I don’t have a great example of who right now. I agree with Tomen in that it doesn’t make a lot of sense imo to name it after Garbanzo

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

I motion to name it the Boychuk

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

03-25-2019, 07:33 AMTomen Wrote: Garbanzo kinda always felt like a more offensive Defender to me while Bojo or Weber kinda fit the mold of a defensive defender more for me than Garbanzo. Interesting that Garbanzo wasn't much of a hitter in his first 2 seasons and later on when he regressed comapred to Weber or Bojo who immediately started laying out his. Of these 3 it seems that Weber was the only one still having quite a decent amount of checking left into his last seasons as a player.

I'd rather see the Stevens be re-named to Garbanzo than him being the name sake of the defensive defender award would just be more fitting.

Stevens should be defensive and Garbanzo should be offensive.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 09:57 AM by Ace.)

For once in my life I'm inclined to agree with Hallsy here.

Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]
[Image: AceIn603.gif]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

please please please

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Stevens > Garbonzo
Defensive > Biscuit
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 10:30 AM by Chris-McZehrl.)

VLAD McZ > Karpotsov

VLAD McZ won the Award three times! Karpotsov 0 times and only Mexico with 4 or 5 was better in the history and that was at the beginning where all never need so many TPE than after S20 ... also we heard about some rigged sims.

like McDonald himself rigged what I heard!

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Sean Stevenson

Sean Stevenson award sounds great lol. The OG defensive defenseman. The guy who helped players like Turska, LaFlamme, and Wastlund have such freedom offensively which led to 2 cups. All I see on this list are Stevens finalists. Stevenson had a limited offensive skill set but defensively he was a rock. Stats aren't flashy due to the time he played in, and it's missing his decent rookie season as well.

In fact the only one that is a defensive defenseman to begin with is Bojo

03-25-2019, 10:17 AMChris-McZehrl Wrote: VLAD McZ > Karpotsov

VLAD McZ won the Award three times! Karpotsov 0 times and only Mexico with 4 or 5 was better in the history and that was at the beginning where all never need so many TPE than after S20 ... also we heard about some rigged sims.

like McDonald himself rigged what I heard!

Okay let me rename the Littleton to the Chris McZehrl Trophy while I'm at it.

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]