Create Account

Edmonton Blizzard Management Announcement
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 07:04 PM by karlssens.)

BLIZZARD ANNOUNCEMENT

Fresh off game 1 of S46 wild card series between the Edmonton Blizzard and the Calgary Dragons longtime Blizzard general manager karlssens requested a press conference. While there was some speculation as to what the press conference was about, several people close to the general manager had a pretty good idea why it was requested. After a brief delay the veteran manager took the stage to address the media...

[Image: pmNzEWo.jpg]

At the end of the S46 playoffs I will be stepping down as general manager of the Edmonton Blizzard. It's been a fantastic experience managing the Blizzard over the last 14 seasons, but it's time for me to step aside and see what the future holds. I'd like to thank everyone involved in helping me build a challenge cup contending squad over the last decade, especially those involved in the management and scouting capacity. I'm still very much interested in continuing my time with the Blizzard in a reduced role should future management like to have me involved. Thanks for your time and good night.

Back at the beginning of S32 the Edmonton Blizzard were in a bad position that was only worsening. They had come off a Challenge Cup final appearance in S31, but the roster was shallow, regressing and with very few promising prospects in the minors to fill big roles that would soon be available. Turnover at the general manager role was also concerning as the team had 3 different managers  since S29. Current general manager Allegiant saw fit to engage in a much needed rebuild. An undertaking many thought was long overdue for the historic organization. He opted to bring in an inexperienced karlssens as he co general manager in S33 to help with the difficult task and away they went, offloading established players for future picks. With an even shallower roster they managed to make playoffs in S33 due to the insane performance of Theo Kane, Pedro Sarantez and Ivan Koroviev, but were promptly eliminated in round 1 of the playoffs by the Los Angeles Panthers. It was all downhill from there as the Blizzard would enter a deep rebuild and fail to register 50 points again in the regular season until S39. Prior to the S35 SHL Entry Draft general Allegiant would step down and trade his player for a plethora of picks to help with the rebuild, allowing karlssens to assume the role of general manager. Karlssens would solo manage the team in S35 before hiring Eric Chisling (Ace) at the beginning of S36, his player of which was drafted 4th overall in the S36 Entry Draft. Chisling got to work immediately, proving to be a much needed catalyst for the rebuild. The Blizzard would land a number of quality players in the S36, S37 and S39 draft that are still on the team to this very day and cornerstones of the S45 championship winning squad. Chisling would eventually step down to assume his current role as general manager of the New England Wolfpack. In need of a new co manager karlssens didn't need to look far as there were several quality choices already available internally. He opted to go with the slick coaching style of Keygan at the beginning of the S44 season who, much like Chisling, paid immediate dividends as the Blizzard would go on to post back to back president trophy winning seasons as well as a Challenge Cup and multiple pieces of individual hardware in S44 and S45.

I guess the real question is "why now?". This is honestly something I've been considering for quite some time, but with the change of personnel at the co general manager position and then the expansion draft it didn't feel right to cut and run. I've always felt consistency is the biggest key to success in the this league and I didn't want the Blizzard to fall in to the same category as some of the other teams with a revolving door at the management position, including the Blizzard themselves before I took over. Things have started to level out now finally.
Personally I accomplished everything I had hoped to achieve when I took this position back in the s30's and I've pretty much been in cruise control the last few seasons. With many of our rebuild draftee's set to hit regression the team is at a transition point and I feel it's best to hand over the reigns to someone who is eager to take the driver's seat and has more of a game plan than yours truly. I don't plan on stepping away from the SHL. In fact I hope to possibly try my hand at other league positions including my current roles in the awards and hall of fame committee. As for who will take over my position there are a number of worthy candidates I can list off internally, but I'll leave that to HO to decide. I like to think I left it in much better condition than I received it as we still have a competitive group and most, if not all, our picks in the next few drafts.

During my time as general manager (and co general manager):
14 Seasons (700 games)
364W-270L-66OTL (0.52 win%)
2x Joe McKeil Awards (S44, S45)
2x Joe McKeil Award Nominations (S33, S41)
2x Lance Uppercut Awards (S39, S45)
2x Lance Uppercut Award Nominations (S42, S44)
2x President Trophies (S44, S45)
1x Challenge Cup (S45) and perhaps 1 more...

Special Thanks
The management @Allegiant @Ace @Keygan... Honestly, without you guys there is no way I would've stayed as general manager for as long as I did. You guys made this job exciting and most importantly easy. You were always there to help navigate a difficult decision whether it be a trade, signing or in house dispute. Thanks again for making this such an enjoyable experience.

The scouts @cpetrella @caltroit_red_flames @ErM @tommysalami @Leafs4ever... Everything I said about the guys above goes double for you. You were all a terrific resource to bounce ideas off of, especially when it came down to crunch time like during drafts and what not.

The players... waaaaay to many to list here, but obviously a huge thanks to everyone that suited up for the Edmonton Blizzard over the last 14 seasons. It was awesome getting to know each and everyone one of you.

[Image: EDMB1.png][Image: 14tq6q9.png]

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

End of an era

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

Wow.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

O

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

I had a weird feeling you might be calling it quits soon. You were a good one Karl!

Enjoy retirement Wink

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

@Mack for GM

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

_/

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

I’m not crying, you’re crying.

Its been an absolute pleasure being a part of the Blizz under you for so many seasons, and I wouldn’t trade it for any team and there is nowhere else I’d rather be. Gonna be crazy not having you as GM. You’ve done a fantastic job and hopefully you’re deemed Hall of Fame worthy :eyes:

U the best @karlssens

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

It was a ton of fun working with you Karl and I have to say of all the members I’ve managed with I had the most synergy with you. Cheers man.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Great GM career, really enjoyed my time in the Blizzard jersey so far, so thanks for bringing me in Wink Hopefully we get to play together for long time.

I know how much you like seeing me in the penalty box, so I´m going to dedicate the next major penalty I take to you! But after that, lets get one more cup and end this ride in celebrations!

Cheers

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

Now we can finally become that dynasty!

[Image: TorTuck.gif]
[Image: sAx3Llh.jpg]

Bout time.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
15-6-0
Regular Season - [G 2] [A 3] [Pts 5] [+/- +6] [PIM 10] [Hits 12] [SB 38]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

Sad stick taps

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

_/

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!