Create Account

Poll: Agree/Dissagree
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
SMJHL is a league for the first gen rookies
14.81%
44 14.81%
SMJHL is NOT a league for the first gen rookies
4.38%
13 4.38%
Rookie ice time should be prioritized
10.77%
32 10.77%
Rookie ice time should NOT be prioritized
8.08%
24 8.08%
350 TPE cap is to low
10.77%
32 10.77%
350 TPE cap is NOT to low
10.10%
30 10.10%
Competitiveness of the SMJHL should be the focus of the league
10.44%
31 10.44%
Competitiveness of the SMJHL should NOT be the focus of the league
10.10%
30 10.10%
Spending long time in the SMJHL is good
7.74%
23 7.74%
Spending long time in the SMJHL is bad
12.79%
38 12.79%
Total 297 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Purpose of the SMJHL League
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2019, 08:00 AM by Mayuu.)

Hi!

I'd like to discuss what the SMJHL league's main purpose is.
This may seem obvious but I really do think the HO needs to define what the purpose of it is and make sure that the perception of the SMJHL is in line with that.

We've had a lot of discussions over my 4 seasons in SMJHL and some of the common ones are:
  • SMJHL is a league for the first gen rookies
  • Rookie ice time should be prioritzed
  • 350 TPE cap is to low
  • Competitiveness of the SMJHL should not be the focus of the league
  • Spending to long time in the SMJHL is bad
Lets go from the top.

SMJHL is a league for the first gen rookies:
The SMJHL's main purpose is to introduce the first generation members to the site and how it works, from how to apply your TPE to how to gain money. This league is where you are supposed to learn it all.
This to setup the user for the real deal, the SHL.

Rookie ice time:
SMJHL is a league that should focus on getting new first generation players to stick with the league, the first few weeks on the site is cited as crucial for the first generation members as it's during this time most users drop the site.
To prevent this the SMJHL should focus on giving rookies more ice time, this is to make the users get a feeling of importance. More ice time => More points/hits etc.

350 TPE cap is to low:
The cap of 350 is hit very fast, if you are a top earner you'll be maxed out at the beginning of your 2nd season. This makes the progression if your players stop as you only bank the future TPE. Also your player wont change unless you redistribute your TPE drastically or change position. Your player in it's 4th season of SMJHL is just as good as a player entering the 2nd season. This makes the 1-3 seasons of send down very stale for the user.

Competitiveness of the SMJHL should not be the focus of the league:
This one ties in with the first one, the SMJHL should focus less on winning Four Star cups, every team should make the play-offs so that you don't risk losing members during a long off-season of no games and setup for the next season. Stacking lines with strong players (includes fielding strong inactive capped players with more ice time then actives) and forcing rookies down in minutes is making users leave.

Spending to long time in the SMJHL is bad:
A player is able to play in the SMJHL for 5 seasons before they are forced to be called up to their SHL team, or dropped from the roster. Playing to many seasons in the SMJHL is taking up spots that could be filled with rookies.

I've tried to write statements with as little personal bias as possible, if there still is I'm sorry.

I'd like to know what the community thinks of these topics, and if the league owners and HO agree with the view the community have.

Please take time and vote, and if you have add or change to leave a reply.

(you got five votes, one for each topic)

Much love,
Mayuu

RETIRED

small note

you can vote for more than once!!!

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

I kind of like that SMJHL is about building smart and ditributing your TPE well, not just how much TPE you can hoard. I believe GOMHL has a similar concept.
Hence why I like the low cap.

I do believe, however, that people shouldn't spend more than 3 seasons in SMJHL.

Competitiveness should be the focus of the league. That's just more fun.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

04-24-2019, 08:04 AMaaronwilson Wrote: I kind of like that SMJHL is about building smart and ditributing your TPE well, not just how much TPE you can hoard. I believe GOMHL has a similar concept.

I do believe, however, that people shouldn't spend more than 3 seasons in SMJHL.

Thanks for your input!

Why 3 seasons though, how did you come to that conclusion?

RETIRED

Without competitiveness in the league what’s the point? Everyone wants to win, be it a cup or an award. I think being on an active team will keep new creates involved longer. If the locker room doesn’t keep you interested then you will most Likely leave the site.

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26

04-24-2019, 08:09 AMMayuu Wrote:
04-24-2019, 08:04 AMaaronwilson Wrote: I kind of like that SMJHL is about building smart and ditributing your TPE well, not just how much TPE you can hoard. I believe GOMHL has a similar concept.

Thanks for your input!

1st season is learning 
2nd season is getting capped/enjoying/going for the cup 
3rd season is for getting more tpe and the previous things
4th season is unbanking the past 2 seasons 

Now there will be exceptions as people grow slower than some, so they may need an extra season in the smjhl. But it allows a quick turnaround that doesn’t screw over the SMJHL GM’s

In any league there will be competitiveness, you can’t get rid of it. But there’s always a cycle of SMJHL teams of building a good team then watch it burn by people leaving. 

What I do personally as a gm is get the rookies ingrained into the culture of the LR, build the LR up with them. I tell the rookies that they won’t have a ton of points, but what they can see is the team doing well as well as an active LR environment that makes them excited and happy to be there. Sure a sim is great and it’s the reason why people are here, but a good LR makes people stay a lot more than how their player is in the sim. What I do is have them get excited for this season and next season, always having hope for the future. 

From what I see analytically, is that once you get drafted in the SHL, depending on factors the # of people getting drafted to the #of people staying halves around 3-4 seasons into it. 

Mayuu for our S43 draft class, we got drafted with 63 people, Now we have 28-35 people left active 

For S44 there was about 28 or so people drafted that were active, now there is 10-15 people left.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

SMJHL is a league for the first gen rookies:
Yes, I agree 100%. It should be a learning place to prepare people for the SHL.

Rookie ice time:
Active players should always be prioritized over inactive players, but I do not believe that rookies should get more ice time. It's a sim after all. When you are called up to the SHL chances are you'll be playing 3rd line minutes for quite a long time also.

350 TPE cap is to low:
The TPE cap of 350 is fine. With the 350 cap the development of your player doesn't stand still. You can think ahead and plan accordingly to the TPE you are earning. Also with the 350 cap in place it will maintain a smaller gap between newly drafted players and send downs.

Hockey is competitive and as this is a hockey sim, the sim should be competitive too. It can't be learning place where things are being spoonfed, it shouldn't be too easy. Look at it like this generation of kids is growing up. Everything is handed to them, they aren't allowed to get hurt. When they are getting older they will face the harsh world that's called maturity. When a kid in school didn't perform well, you got a good talking to by your parents. Nowadays it's the teachers fault. Let's not be like that.

I agree and I think this is a responsibility for the SHL GM's as well as the player itself. SHL GM's need to really consider the flow of players that they are drafting. Giving everyone equal opportunity if they are active. Let's say you have 7 picks in a SHL draft and draft 7 players, but you know that in 3-4 seasons you only have room for 4 players. Some might say a luxury problem, but I don't see it that way. I see it as a lack of insight.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2019, 08:30 AM by Chris-McZehrl.)

04-24-2019, 08:23 AMluketd Wrote:
04-24-2019, 08:09 AMMayuu Wrote: Thanks for your input!

1st season is learning 

Now there will be exceptions as people grow slower than some, so they may need an extra season in the smjhl. But it allows a quick turnaround that doesn’t screw over the SMJHL GM’s

In any league there will be competitiveness, you can’t get rid of it. But there’s always a cycle of SMJHL teams of building a good team then watch it burn by people leaving. 

What I do personally as a gm is get the rookies ingrained into the culture of the LR, build the LR up with them. I tell the rookies that they won’t have a ton of points, but what they can see is the team doing well as well as an active LR environment that makes them excited and happy to be there. Sure a sim is great and it’s the reason why people are here, but a good LR makes people stay a lot more than how their player is in the sim. What I do is have them get excited for this season and next season, always having hope for the future. 

From what I see analytically, is that once you get drafted in the SHL, depending on factors the # of people getting drafted to the #of people staying halves around 3-4 seasons into it. 

Mayuu for our S43 draft class, we got drafted with 63 people, Now we have 28-35 people left active 

For S44 there was about 28 or so people drafted that were active, now there is 10-15 people left.

and that should be all our job ... to find out and analyze ... why they left? what were the reasons? How we can manage this reasons = problems that we can save those members? I have two options in my mind but both will produce a lot of work, for sure. one option you saw with a Farm League and the other one would be the next SHL Expansion that also 600 TPE players getting relevant in the SHL. Because then we could without a Farm League solve the problem.

Challenge Cup Wins:

Four Star Cup Wins:

04-24-2019, 08:23 AMluketd Wrote:
04-24-2019, 08:09 AMMayuu Wrote: Thanks for your input!

1st season is learning 

Nice, yeah I agree with most of what you said!
Just a personal question, did you not get bored of banking TPE for two season?

RETIRED

04-24-2019, 08:32 AMMayuu Wrote:
04-24-2019, 08:23 AMluketd Wrote: 1st season is learning 

Nice, yeah I agree with most of what you said!

I'm not, because I already planned builds for 500 TPE, 600 TPE and 700 TPE.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

04-24-2019, 08:33 AMKatth Wrote:
04-24-2019, 08:32 AMMayuu Wrote: Nice, yeah I agree with most of what you said!

would you love it to be in the SHL needed with just 600 TPE? or maybe 500 TPE? and getting the 3rd line spot? also on stacked teams!?

Challenge Cup Wins:

Four Star Cup Wins:

04-24-2019, 08:24 AMKatth Wrote: SMJHL is a league for the first gen rookies:
Yes, I agree 100%. It should be a learning place to prepare people for the SHL.

Rookie ice time:
Active players should always be prioritized over inactive players, but I do not believe that rookies should get more ice time. It's a sim after all. When you are called up to the SHL chances are you'll be playing 3rd line minutes for quite a long time also.

350 TPE cap is to low:
The TPE cap of 350 is fine. With the 350 cap the development of your player doesn't stand still. You can think ahead and plan accordingly to the TPE you are earning. Also with the 350 cap in place it will maintain a smaller gap between newly drafted players and send downs.

Hockey is competitive and as this is a hockey sim, the sim should be competitive too. It can't be learning place where things are being spoonfed, it shouldn't be too easy. Look at it like this generation of kids is growing up. Everything is handed to them, they aren't allowed to get hurt. When they are getting older they will face the harsh world that's called maturity. When a kid in school didn't perform well, you got a good talking to by your parents. Nowadays it's the teachers fault. Let's not be like that.

I agree and I think this is a responsibility for the SHL GM's as well as the player itself. SHL GM's need to really consider the flow of players that they are drafting. Giving everyone equal opportunity if they are active. Let's say you have 7 picks in a SHL draft and draft 7 players, but you know that in 3-4 seasons you only have room for 4 players. Some might say a luxury problem, but I don't see it that way. I see it as a lack of insight.

Interesting!

Quote:Active players should always be prioritized over inactive players, but I do not believe that rookies should get more ice time. It's a sim after all. When you are called up to the SHL chances are you'll be playing 3rd line minutes for quite a long time also.

Would you, if you were a GM play an active rookie over an inactive 350 TPE player? As you said it's hockey so competition is natural, but where does one draw the line?

Quote:Giving everyone equal opportunity if they are active. Let's say you have 7 picks in a SHL draft and draft 7 players, but you know that in 3-4 seasons you only have room for 4 players. Some might say a luxury problem, but I don't see it that way. I see it as a lack of insight.

Isn't this how it is in real life as well? When a NHL team drafts they don't just draft for their current needs, anything can happen between and during season. Who know's who might leave in FA or go inactive.
If your squad is full and looks to be full the upcoming season, giving away picks for free isn't something I'd ever do as a GM.

RETIRED

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2019, 08:42 AM by Tomasnz.)

04-24-2019, 08:35 AMChris-McZehrl Wrote:
04-24-2019, 08:33 AMKatth Wrote: I'm not, because I already planned builds for 500 TPE, 600 TPE and 700 TPE.

would you love it to be in the SHL needed with just 600 TPE? or maybe 500 TPE? and getting the 3rd line spot? also on stacked teams!?

I don't know what you are saying here Chris,

But lots of players can have a perfectly good contribution to a team at 500-600 tpe. Unless the team is completely stacked. But at that point those players might need to leave anyway. 

The smjhl is not a place for shl teams to leave players untill they want them.

Each season a shl team should have a reason for keeping a prospect down and not call them up. Maybe that's as simple as the prospect wants to stay .but in my mind the default should be to call them up each season, unless there is a reason not to.

Quick edit: shl teams should want to have the players they draft playing for them. And if they don't. Maybe something we should explore is RFA kicking in at the end of 2 seasons not four.

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

04-24-2019, 08:33 AMKatth Wrote:
04-24-2019, 08:32 AMMayuu Wrote: Nice, yeah I agree with most of what you said!

Yeah I did that as well to stay motivated.
I'd prefer to apply it and see the change in my player because now when i enter SHL my player still feels weak compared to most.

RETIRED

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2019, 08:45 AM by Chris-McZehrl.)

04-24-2019, 08:41 AMTomasnz Wrote:
04-24-2019, 08:35 AMChris-McZehrl Wrote: would you love it to be in the SHL needed with just 600 TPE? or maybe 500 TPE? and getting the 3rd line spot? also on stacked teams!?

I don't know what you are saying here Chris,

But lots of players can have a perfectly good contribution to a team at 500-600 tpe. Unless the team is completely stacked. But at that point those players might need to leave anyway. 

The smjhl is not a place for shl teams to leave players untill they want them.

Each season a shl team should have a reason for keeping a prospect down and not call them up. Maybe that's as simple as the prospect wants to stay .but in my mind the default should be to call them up each season, unless there is a reason not to.

many teams are stacked and that mean ... min 8 Forwards over 1000 TPE + 4 Defender over 1000 TPE
probably inactives also over 1000 TPE

if you read a bit higher my post about the next SHL Expansion (since the SHL S46 Reddit Draft / S45 SMJHL one ... killed the Expansion) then way more send downs would be called up and we have more spots in the SMJHL.

Challenge Cup Wins:

Four Star Cup Wins: