Create Account

Oliver Cleary Talks Trade, Season, Top Prospect Status and Draft

Detroit Falcons defensemen Oliver Cleary had a tumultuous start to his season to say the least. Projected to be one of the top picks in the S47 SMJHL draft, Cleary fell out of the top five and was drafted fourteenth overall by the Montreal Militia. Shortly after the draft, Montreal's general manager announced that he had signed Cleary to a contract with draft standouts such as Padraig Sarantez, drafted in the first round, and Ravyn Tedisko, drafted one pick after Cleary.

“It's still a day I look back on and wonder if I made the right decision. Obviously I was unhappy with the fall and less happy with the way the team handled my contract. That is now in the past though and I feel like it is not worth looking back on it.”

Shortly after the draft, Montreal traded Cleary to the Detroit Falcons for a 4th round pick in the next Reddit draft. Though Reddit draft picks are much more valuable than normal draft picks, it is still a bit of a stretch for a team that had spent a second on a player they assumed would be playing for them.

Since the trade, Cleary has been playing on the second line for the up and down Falcons. As the SMJHL is gearing up towards the playoffs, the Falcons are currently 22-22-4 in 48 games, good for 8th in the SMJHL. Montreal on the other-hand is currently second with 63 points. Cleary's season may not have been exactly what he expects with only one goal and six points overall.

[Image: 921456634.jpg]
Cleary rushing the puck up the ice. He ended up giving the puck away

“Yeah it's definitely not been exactly what I hoped for. I ended up missing training camp this season with my holdout. I think after that I never was able to get my bearings. It took awhile for me to be fully comfortable with limited time on the third pairing. Since moving up to the second it's been better. I still have a long way to go.”

Clearly was hyped to be a two-way defensemen who would eventually dominate at both ends of the ice. He was expected to provide more offence than he currently is. Overall, he's looked much more like an old-school defensemen who the analytics community would not like. The 6 foot 3, 215 point defensemen has used his size to the tune of 79 hits and 49 shots blocked.

“When you aren't producing on the scoresheet, you need to find other ways to show up each and every night. With the game moving more away from the old school game and more into speed, I felt like I might be able to use my own speed to bruise guys who aren't used to it a little more. Obviously it did work out and I'm hoping it got me noticed.”

While his on-ice contributions were not what may have been expected, his off-ice dedication has been impressive to his teammates. An early commit to the SMJHL draft, Cleary was able to get an early jump on his training efforts. As of last update, Cleary was one of the top TPE earners in this rookie class, possibly even the top TPE earner.

“I think when you end putting a negative taste in people's mouth with your actions, you really need to earn your way. From day one I made sure that I would be the first guy in the gym, the best teammate I could be. Obviously my off ice regiment was possibly the best in the SMJHL and its something I intend to keep up as a send down next season and eventually as a pro player in the SHL.”

With the SHL draft quickly approaching, it wouldn't be a stretch to see people predict that Cleary will be a top pick. Cleary isn't of the same opinion.

[Image: senators-lightning-hockey-thomas-chabot.jpg]
Cleary isn't good under pressure as evidenced by him giving the puck away.

“Obviously its tougher to predict. In theory based on my TPE count, bank account and other factors I should be considered a top prospect. But realistically how many GMs will end up wanting to take a risk on a player who has already turned his back on the team that has drafted him? I think with the amount of quality draft picks coming up this season it wouldn't be a stretch to see my stock drop from a potential first rounder to as low as a third rounder. It is tough to predict.”

In terms of where he might want to end up going, Cleary had no real preference. He worried that teams related to Montreal players and general managers may end up wanting to avoid him.

“It's definitely something I'm not too focused on in the end. Obviously I have teams I'd like to go to. I have a preference towards Manhattan and Buffalo because I have good relationships with their general managers and some player. I'd love to be drafted with my friend Freddie Sweeney unless he ends up being drafted before me. I'll definitely be more willing to update when the season ends and I start talking to teams. If teams want to contact the hold-out.”

Code:
846 words

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Falcons Stampede

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]