Create Account

Junior Journal with Eddie Morozov - Feat. Izem Abioye

Word Total: 632 (No 1st Article Bonus)

Izem Abioye’s passport is getting a few more stamps.

The Nigerian-born defenseman recently accepted an invitation to the Czech U18 National Team, to help compete for the IIHF World Junior Championship, which is set to commence in Prague, right after the SMJHL playoffs in June. Abioye, who has finished his 1st season with the St. Louis Scarecrows, finished the season strong with 7 points, all of which were assists, and a +/- rating of +9. A physically active – yet enforcedly nice player, I met up with the bruising 3rd liner, and asked him a few, hard-hitting questions on his career abroad, his home-life, and his experience with the Scarecrows so far.

Eddie: Alright, so…Welcome to the show, we have a few questions for you, the first one is about your life back in Nigeria…not a lot of people know your origin story. Can you elaborate on that?

Izem: Sure. I was born in the big city of Abuja, capitol of the country, you know? So I had lots of friends who were in bad shape, but that’s how we all were. We all went to school, we all went to upper school, and then, one day, I was told I was good enough to enter a transfer program, right? So I had a choice, stay, or go to Sweden and learn with some new kids I never knew, but get an education. It was a hard, hard choice, man. I CRIED. I SOBBED. I decided to go to Sweden and I haven’t regretted the choice.

Eddie: So then, what got you into hockey from there?

Izem: Well, living in Sweden, there’s a lot to do on Saturday nights, you know? (laughs) A few of my friends decided to take me to a hockey game. At that time, never heard of the sport. They said it was “soccer with sticks on ice”. So I went, and I watched, and I instantly wanted to play it. My buddies loaned me gear, and gradually, I learned how to skate. I never grasped something as well before, and from there, I started to play. I was pretty good, and Frolunda gave me a contract.

Eddie: Have you enjoyed your time in St. Louis so far?

Izem: Definitely. The community was very supportive, and I was able to find an apartment quickly downtown. Such nice people, passionate about their teams, and we fed off that in the locker room. Every goal, every good shift felt like a victory for us, despite being the best team. We’ve had fun.

Eddie: People talk about your good spirit and fun-loving nature. How do you stay so positive after a tough loss?

Izem: Candy. Lots of Candy, there’s a lot of gum in the locker room, so I stay positive by having gum.

Eddie: Is it true you say “I’m sorry” after every check you land?

Izem (laughing): Not in the playoffs, I assure you. But yes, I feel like if you hurt someone on the ice, you should say you’re sorry.

Eddie: Do you have family coming over for the playoffs?

Izem: My parents and friends can’t make the trip due to the position they’re in. I was able to buy the family a TV so they could watch my games. I hope we win, it would be a shame to have them watch us lose.

Eddie: If there were enough players to create a Nigerian national hockey team, would you join?

Izem: I’d love to. When I come home, I’ll be teaching my friends how to play.

Eddie: Do you think the Crows will win the Cup this year?

Izem: (knocks on wood table 3 times) Yep!

The nicest person I’ve ever met in the business, Izem Abioye will play soon in the 2nd round of the SMJHL playoffs.

[Image: TRVzgUB.png]

GrizzliesGrizzliesGrizzliesMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs

shl-oldshl-oldshl-oldUsaUsaMonarchsMonarchs