Create Account

S47 Skater and Goaltender Point Shares

S47 Skater and Goaltender Point Shares

***Spreadsheet Located Here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Welcome to the Season 47 edition of SHL Point Shares. Yet another way to help to contextualise the player statistics we have available to us in the index, Point Shares are a measure of how many points in the standings a player contributed to his or her team. A player’s Point Shares may be positive or negative, with negative point shares indicating that a player performed so poorly that he or she actually took away points generated by teammates. Of course, as with any statistic, these measures are not perfect and should not be seen as a be-all, end-all measure of player performance. However, it is one of many factors that can be taken into account when determining player performance.

Point Shares are calculated in the context of a given player’s team’s overall play. What this means is that point shares are essentially a normalized statistic and allow for better comparison of players on different teams. While for many statistics, especially points and +/-, comparing between players on different teams can be quite difficult, point shares attempts to make this comparison a bit more congruent and quantify a player’s contributions to his or her team. Point Shares also do take into account playing time.

This season, I calculated point shares for both skaters and goaltenders. Skater Point Shares are segmented into Offensive Point Shares and Defensive Point Shares. Offensive Point Shares naturally will favour forwards as they, of course, tend to score more points that defensemen. On the other hand, Defensive Point Shares will favour defensemen. This is not a natural thing based on the numbers available but is done so through a positional adjustment used in calculating Defensive Point Shares. It makes the assumption that defensemen essentially contribute two times as much defensively than forwards do. It allows for a more accurate evaluation of how a defenseman contributes to his or her team’s points in the standings, albeit imperfectly. Add Offensive PointShares and Defensive Point Shares to get Total Point Shares for skaters. Goaltender Point Shares factor in the rate at which a player faced shots compared to the league average in determining how much impact a goaltender’s play had on his team’s overall points.

In sum, Point Shares attempt to quantify a player’s contributions to the most important aspect of a team’s performance – wins/points in the standings. Calculating these values took a significant amount of work in order to be sure all metrics involved in point shares were calculated correctly and applied appropriately. Perhaps the most difficult aspect of calculating Point Shares is appropriately doing so for players traded mid-season. We cannot simply apply their total statistics to their current team – doing this can and likely would either over or underestimate the players’ performance prior to being traded. Thus, these players are essentially assigned Offensive, Defensive, and Total Point Shares for their statistics on each of the teams they played for separately before the resulting numbers are added together to determine their most true and accurate contribution over the course of the season. So yeah, GMs… stop trading your players so much. It makes this work even more grueling.

Anyways, let’s look at our standout players in terms of Point Shares. First, let’s take a look at those players who contributed most greatly to their team’s performance over the course of the season and are determined to be, as per the Point Share calculations are concerned, the most valuable players in the SHL.

Total Point Shares (Skaters)
1. Specters F DeMaricus Smyth – 7.96 TPS
2. Specters F Piotr Czerkawski – 7.23 TPS
3. Platoon F Crossfit Jesus – 7.09 TPS
4. Blizzard D Brady McIntyre – 6.96 TPS
5. syndicate F Luke Atmey – 6.93 TPS
6. Platoon / Panthers F Sophia Bennett – 6.89 TPS
7. Wolfpack D Tigole Bitties – 6.77 TPS
8. Jets F Jason Visser – 6.75 TPS
9. Platoon F Dani Forsberg – 6.63 TPS
10. Platoon / Wolfpack F Artemi Berezin – 6.58 TPS
11. Renegades D Liam O’Callaghan – 6.47 TPS
12. Stars F Mikhail Lokitonov – 6.36 TPS
13. Blizzard D Connor Tanner – 6.18 TPS
14. Dragons D Otis B. Driftwood – 6.15 TPS
15. Wolfpack F Rafe Ulrich – 6.13 TPS
16. Stars F Lyndis Vakarian – 5.93 TPS
17. Renegades F Louie Garrett – 5.84 TPS
18. Blizzard D Ensio Kalju – 5.83 TPS
19. Blizzard F Hercules Rockefeller – 5.82 TPS
20. Stampede D Alexis Metzler – 5.80 TPS

And for goaltenders, I have separated them because, unsurprisingly, they tend to have greater impacts on the game than skaters, when comparing them individually. Here are our sixteen starters ranked.

Total Point Shares (Goaltenders)
1. syndicate G Jay Bae – 10.27 GPS
2. Wolfpack G Johannes Leitner – 9.96 GPS
3. Blizzard G Tommy Tuck – 9.92 GPS
4. Dragons G Kata Vilde – 9.49 GPS
5. :barracudas: G Benjamin Blue – 9.09 GPS
6. Steelhawks G Geezus Kryyst – 9.08 GPS
7. Platoon G Beaujeaux Biscuit – 8.83 GPS
8. Stars G Michael McFadden – 8.46 GPS
9. Stampede G Cedric Robinson – 8.10 GPS
10. Renegades G Walter Hobbs – 7.70 GPS
11. Chiefs G Sebastien Primeau – 7.49 GPS
12. Specters G Aleister Cain – 7.42 GPS
13. pride G Chris Partridge – 7.18 GPS
14. Rage G Scotty Crawfling – 6.89 GPS
15. Panthers G Evgueni Mameladov – 6.73 GPS
16. Jets G Vivian LeBlanc – 5.49 GPS

Just to have a little bit of fun, here are the players who made the largest negativeimpacts on the ice this season. One player in the league was far and away the largest negative contributor, at least in terms of magnitude of impact.

Negative Total Point Shares
1. Jets F Vladimir Vaskov - -1.14 TPS
2. Jets F Nolan Snipez - -0.61 TPS
3. : barracudas: D Brett Jones - -0.24 TPS
4. :barracudas: F Samuel McVay - -0.18 TPS
5. Wolfpack D Jimmy Cahill - -0.17 TPS
6. Chiefs F Sam McGrizzley - -0.13 TPS
7. pride F Ty Hoover - -0.11 TPS
8. Renegades F Barnaby Picklesworth - -0.10 TPS
9. Panthers F Mason Brown - -0.08 TPS
10. Rage D Sachimo Zoidberg Jr. - -0.07 TPS

Now let’s look at our forwards… Of course due to the natural difference in player stats and then the positional adjustments involved in calculating point shares, comparing either Offensive Point Shares or Defensive Point Shares between forwards and defensemen is not a very effective way to judge player performance. In fact, when ranking ALL SHL players by Offensive Point Shares, the first thirty-four players are forwards. And the other way around? The first forty-one players in Defensive Point Shares are defensemen. It makes sense; however, it does necessitate looking at each of these two numbers separately by position.

Offensive Point Shares (Forwards)
1. Specters F DeMaricus Smyth – 5.84 OPS
2. Platoon F Crossfit Jesus – 5.70 OPS
3. syndicate F Luke Atmey – 5.30 OPS
4. Stars F Mikhail Lokitonov – 5.29 OPS
5. Platoon F Dani Forsberg – 5.20 OPS
6. Specters F Piotr Czerkawski – 5.11 OPS
7. Platoon / Panthers F Sophia Bennett – 4.98 OPS
8. Jets F Jason Visser – 4.94 OPS
9. Stars F Lyndis Vakarian – 4.74 OPS
10. Wolfpack F Rafe Ulrich – 4.69 OPS
11. Platoon / Wolfpack F Artemi Berezin – 4.53 OPS
12. Renegades F Louie Garrett – 4.51 OPS
13. Stampede F Viktor Marius – 4.28 OPS
14. Chiefs F Terrance Nova – 4.11 OPS
15. Platoon F Gabriel Wong – 4.03 OPS
16. Wolfpack F Herb Robert – 3.97 OPS
17. Dragons F Mike Izzy – 3.84 OPS
18. Platoon F Dayymo Ralchankinov – 3.80 OPS
19. Blizzard F Teddy Cuddles – 3.74 OPS
20. Steelhawks F Robert Phelps – 3.71 OPS

Defensive Point Shares (Forwards)
1. Blizzard F Cory Knouse – 2.21 DPS
2. Blizzard F Hercules Rockefeller – 2.20 DPS
3. Specters F DeMaricus Smyth – 2.12 DPS
4. Specters F Piotr Czerkawski – 2.12 DPS
5. Platoon / Wolfpack F Artemi Berezin – 2.05 DPS
6. Blizzard F Joseph Lombardi – 1.97 DPS
7. Specters F Nicholas Williams – 1.97 DPS
8. Platoon / Panthers F Sophia Bennett – 1.91 DPS
9. Chiefs F Bobby Watson – 1.82 DPS
10. Jets F Jason Visser – 1.82 DPS
11.Jets F Lil Manius – 1.81 DPS
12.pride F Dionyz Vyskoc – 1.79 DPS
13. Panthers / Platoon F Florence Clijsters – 1.78 DPS
14. Dragons F Shooter McGavin – 1.74 DPS
15. Stampede F Dermot Lavelle – 1.72 DPS
16. Dragons F Hunter Jones – 1.68 DPS
17. Dragons F Mike Izzy – 1.66 DPS
18. Chiefs F Terrance Nova – 1.66 DPS
19. syndicate F Luke Atmey – 1.64 DPS
20. Stampede F Kevin Hamilton – 1.62 DPS

Now, let’s move on to the defensemen and see who the best offensive and defensive defensemen were this past season…

Offensive Point Shares (Defensemen)
1. Blizzard D Brady McIntyre – 3.27 OPS
2. Wolfpack D Tigole Bitties – 3.17 OPS
3. Renegades D Liam O’Callaghan – 2.99 OPS
4. Dragons D Otis B. Driftwood – 2.87 OPS
5. Blizzard D Ensio Kalju – 2.63 OPS
6. Blizzard D Connor Tanner – 2.61 OPS
7. Stampede D Charles Walker – 2.41 OPS
8. Rage D Craig Finley – 2.05 OPS
9. Jets D Gary Grease – 2.05 OPS
10. Stars D Zander Rhys – 2.01 OPS
11. Stampede D Alexis Metzler – 2.01 OPS
12. pride D Isak Odegard – 1.93 OPS
13. Platoon D Ludwig Koch Schroder – 1.85 OPS
14. pride D Jack Tanner – 1.79 OPS
15. Specters D Adam Kaiser – 1.75 OPS
16. pride D Charlie Schieck – 1.74 OPS
17. Rage / Chiefs D Poopity Scoop – 1.73 OPS
18. Platoon D Karsten Kadinger – 1.70 OPS
19. Blizzard D Tor Tuck – 1.69 OPS
20. Rage D Tokek Takshak – 1.65 OPS

Defensive Point Shares (Defensemen)
1. Specters D Clint Eastwood – 4.18 DPS
2. Specters D Richard Physt – 3.99 DPS
3. StampedeD Alexis Metzler – 3.79 DPS
4. Stampede GOD McZehrl – 3.78 DPS
5. Blizzard D Brady McIntyre – 3.69 DPS
6. Chiefs D George Moore – 3.66 DPS
7. Platoon D Nat Emerson – 3.63 DPS
8. Wolfpack D Tigole Bitties – 3.61 DPS
9. Blizzard D Connor Tanner – 3.57 DPS
10. Platoon D Ethan Ross – 3.56 DPS
11. Renegades D Liam O’Callaghan – 3.47 DPS
12. Panthers D Jon Toner – 3.43 DPS
13. pride D Charlie Scheick – 3.37 DPS
14. Wolfpack D Maximillian Egger – 3.34 DPS
15. Dragons D Otis B. Driftwood – 3.29 DPS
16. Blizzard D Ensio Kalju – 3.20 DPS
17. pride D Isak Odegard – 3.20 DPS
18. Dragons D Ostap Maksimov – 3.18 DPS
19. Blizzard D Tor Tuck – 3.13 DPS
20. Panthers D Toivo Kosonen – 3.03 DPS

Now, let’s look at the most one dimensional players in the league. These are calculated by determining the percentage of a player’s Total Point Shares coming from either Offensive Point Shares or Defensive Point Shares.

Most One Dimensionally Offensive (OPS/TPS Ratio)
1. :barracudas: F Xavier Cross – 96.4%
2. Chiefs / Stampede F Conor McGregor – 92.3%
3. Jets F Ace Redding – 92.3%
4. :barracudas: F Kolja Seppanen – 91.5%
5. Stars F Mercer Church – 88.1%
6. Stars F Mikhail Lokitonov – 83.2%
7. Stars F Roger Baston – 82.7%
8. Rage F Alex Winters – 81.9%
9. Platoon F Crossfit Jesus – 80.4%
10. Stars F Lyndis Vakarian – 79.9%
11. Steelhawks F Andrew Martin – 78.9%
12. Platoon F Dani Forsberg – 78.4%
13. Platoon F Dayymo Ralchankinov – 77.8%
14. :barracudas: F Kevin Kazarian – 77.7%
15. Renegades F Louie Garrett – 77.3%
16. Specters F Roman Augustus – 77.2%
17. Stars F Chris York – 76.7%
18. Platoon F Alex Light – 76.7%
19. Wolfpack F Rafe Ulrich – 76.5%
20. syndicate F Luke Atmey – 76.4%

Most One Dimensionally Defensive (DPS/TPS Ratio)
1. Panthers / Rage F Sulak O’Hritea – 99.1%
2. Stampede D GOD McZehrl – 97.8%
3. Wolfpack D Maximillian Egger – 95.4%
4. Platoon D Nat Emerson – 94.6%
5. Renegades D I Shattenkirksbed – 92.4%
6. Dragons D Casey Creller – 91.1%
7. Dragons D Brennan Kennedy Jr. – 90.6%
8. Blizzard F Derrick Glover – 90.2%
9. syndicate F Kire Yelkrab – 90.0%
10. Steelhawks D Vegeta Muerto – 89.6%
11. Platoon D Ethan Ross – 87.5%
12. Steelhawks D Nour Harrak – 86.6%
13. Renegades D Chuck Crutchfield – 84.6%
14. Platoon D Ted Glass – 82.4%
15. Specters D Clint Eastwood – 82.3%
16. Steelhawks D Ben Dover – 81.9%
17. Stampede D Tatu Makela – 81.4%
18. syndicate / Panthers D James Johnson – 80.3%
19. Dragons F Paddy O’Sullivan – 79.9%
20. Panthers D Matthew Leetch – 79.3%

Now that we’ve taken a quick look at the most one-dimensional players in the league, for this season at least, we will now look at the most balanced players, or those with the most similar values for their Offensive Point Shares and Defensive Point Shares. This was calculate in relative terms in order to avoid, for example, a player with 0.2 OPS and 0.4 DPS (DPS is double OPS!) being considered more balanced than a player with 2.8 OPS and 3.1 DPS. This was calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between a player’s OPS and DPS and dividing it by the average of a player’s OPS and DPS.

Most Balanced (Smallest Relative Difference Between OPS and DPS)
1. Wolfpack F Dick Clapper – 0.95 OPS – 0.96 DPS
2. pride F LeShaun King – 0.92 OPS - 0.94 DPS
3. pride F Dionyz Vyskoc – 1.84 OPS – 1.79 DPS
4. Stampede D Charles Walker – 2.41 OPS – 2.34 DPS
5. pride F Richard Metcalf Jr. – 1.47 OPS – 1.52 DPS
6. Specters D Adam Kaiser – 1.75 OPS – 1.69 DPS
7. Rage D Barret McCarthy – 1.40 OPS – 1.49 DPS
8. Jets F Corey Bearss – 1.68 OPS – 1.55 DPS
9. Platoon D Karsten Kadinger – 1.70 OPS – 1.86 DPS
10. Dragons F Mikael Choybuk – 0.98 OPS – 0.89 DPS
11. Panthers F Max Mauldin – 1.68 OPS – 1.50 DPS
12. Rage F Yannick Berger – 1.02 OPS – 0.91 DPS
13. Panthers / Platoon F Florence Clijsters – 2.00 OPS – 1.78 DPS
14. Blizzard D Brady McIntyre – 3.27 OPS – 3.69 DPS
15. Platoon D Ludwig Koch Schroder – 1.85 OPS – 2.10 DPS
16. Wolfpack D Tigole Bitties - 3.17 OPS – 3.61 DPS
17. Renegades F Conklin Owen – 0.85 OPS – 0.97 DPS
18. Dragons D Otis B. Driftwood – 2.87 OPS – 3.29 DPS
19. syndicate F Daniel Smeb – 1.00 OPS – 0.87 DPS
20. Renegades D Liam O’Callaghan – 2.99 OPS – 3.47 DPS

Overall, much of the above analysis is just to present the data in a way that more people will be interested in and provide some interesting but not all that useful insights that the data provided. Just to reiterate, Offensive Point Shares, Defensive Point Shares, and Total Point Shares should not be seen as a stand alone statistic that captures all aspects of a player’s performance. It is rather one of many tools we can use to compare performance between difference players on different teams and, when combined with other numbers and analyses we have available, can help paint a clearer picture of player performance in light of the limitations of a text based simulator like Simon T.

Over the course of the next few seasons, I plan to continue to provide this information on a seasonly basis. Ultimately, I want to evaluate how well this metric, designed for the NHL, is able to be applied to the SHL and how well point shares actually do correlate to points in the standings here. Perhaps, based on an analysis of a handful of seasons of point share data, the methodology can be tailored slightly to better reflect the realities of the SHL. Or, itmay just be a perfect estimator Tongue

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

Baelor’s cool stats + aaronwilson’s cool stats + regular stats = DeMaricus Smyth for MVP.

Killer season @Blastmeaway ! Specters

Thanks for putting the time in for these Baelor!

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

D George Moore – 3.66 DPS

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5413847]

[Image: lebbish.gif]

Dick Clapper == Thanos confirmed

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

So you're saying if I played in Hamilton the entire season, in theory, I project to have a 2+ Defensive Point shares?

This seems a little team based though. I had barely anything in Tampa but in Hamilton i'd be top 5 in this list? So I should look at them more relative to those on the team, correct?

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]

06-01-2019, 05:15 PMBoomcheck Wrote: So you're saying if I played in Hamilton the entire season, in theory, I project to have a 2+ Defensive Point shares?

This seems a little team based though. I had barely anything in Tampa but in Hamilton i'd be top 5 in this list?  So I should look at them more relative to those on the team, correct?

Isn't this fairly known?

A mid tier TPE player on a rebuilding team can get way more points then a equal TPE(same build) player on team with higher average TPE. 

My guess is that if you have shittier line mates you'll get the puck more often and get more points cause the inability of your line mates. You'll also be defensively worse cause of your line mates. 

On the other hand even if you are a 1300 TPE player on a line with two 1800 TPE players you will drop in point production but do better defensively.

RETIRED

06-02-2019, 07:50 AMMayuu Wrote:
06-01-2019, 05:15 PMBoomcheck Wrote: So you're saying if I played in Hamilton the entire season, in theory, I project to have a 2+ Defensive Point shares?

This seems a little team based though. I had barely anything in Tampa but in Hamilton i'd be top 5 in this list?  So I should look at them more relative to those on the team, correct?

Isn't this fairly known?

A mid tier TPE player on a rebuilding team can get way more points then a equal TPE(same build) player on team with higher average TPE. 

My guess is that if you have shittier line mates you'll get the puck more often and get more points cause the inability of your line mates. You'll also be defensively worse cause of your line mates. 

On the other hand even if you are a 1300 TPE player on a line with two 1800 TPE players you will drop in point production but do better defensively.

Thanks for the response.

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]

No, you very much can compare across teams and, as mentioned in the OP, it takes into account team performance and attempts to standardise across the league. It means that based on this estimation, your defensive play didn't really contribute much to the team's overall performance in Tampa but it did in Hamilton. As said before, it can also be due to the performance of your teammates, which is a very difficult thing to separate especially in a sport like hockey.

Also as mentioned in the OP, this is not a stand alone statistic... It just can give more context to traditional counting statistics and should be used in conjunction with other metrics in order to determine a player's overall performance. It can be that your player was just better with HAM. For example, look at Matthew Auston... his performance was nearly identical in split time between LA and Manhattan. It's also difficult to just say if you played in Hamilton the whole season, your DPS would be 2+. A season is a small sample size and half a season is less... To just extrapolate that when, perhaps, your player was just on a hot streak (or a cold streak with Tampa) would be disingenuous.

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]