Create Account

Knox Booth on the upcoming SMJHL Draft

“Come on in Knox,” the voice that calls out to Knox Booth is one he recognizes well, it’s his sports agent, Jim Simpson. Knox has had the same agent since he was fifteen years old and he’s grown fond of good ol’ Jimmy Simpson, and although Jim has never come across as the most disciplined worker he’s remained consistent in Knox’s life, and has guided him toward success. Did Knox believe that there were other agents in the sports world who could represent him better? Perhaps. But was Knox willing to give up on a relationship that had gone so well for a maybe? Not yet. 

As Knox enters the office Jim remains seated in his large leather chair, it’s a custom-made chair, built to fit Jim’s wide frame. Jim Simpson has a tendency of indulging in the sugary sorts of food and it shows, he’s a heart attack in waiting. “How you doing Knox?” Jim asks him as he shifts forward in his chair to shake Knox’s hand.

Knox returns the gesture before sitting down, across from his long-time agent, “I’m good, anxious.”

Jim smiles softly and nods in agreement, “Aren’t we all? I’m glad you could come here today Knox, it’s always nice to be able to meet and chat in person.”

“I’d rather be in camp,” Knox issues his own soft smile before he leans back in his chair, trying to relax. The word has come out that the SMJHL draft will be announced soon, and Knox can’t help but wonder if his name will be called come draft day.

“The hope is we can get you to one, we’ve had two teams reach out,” Jim says matter of factly and pauses to judge Knox’s reaction, however Knox remains stoic. “Two teams is better than none,” Jim continues, “and I don’t need to tell you that the goalie position has limited spots.”

“Two teams is good Jim, I’m happy to hear that,” Knox agreed, and he was. The fact that there was any interest at all was a sign that so far, his plan is working. He’s getting noticed.  “So who are we talking about?”

“First up is Halifax, and I know you have some family out there- don’t you?”

“I do.”

“It’s a beautiful city, with an incredible fanbase- great culture both in the area and on the team. They see a lot of potential in you Knox, and they want to develop you. No promises, but there’s a chance you get picked by them come draft day.” Jim shifts back in his chair and leans over slowly, as he sits back up he produces a folder- it’s a welcome package from Halifax covering the Raiders roster and development plan. “Listen, if you have a team give you something like this- they’re prepared. They’re scouting you.”

“I’d love to stay in Canada and the East coast in some cases is the best coast,” Knox tells Jim as he opens the folder and the first item he sees is an enlarged picture of downtown Halifax. Knox browses the remaining items included in the welcome package, all of it looking extremely professional and in depth.

“Before you get too excited,” Jim calmly reaches over and closes the opened folder, and places a second folder on top of the first. Knox watches as Jim opens the second folder, revealing an aerial picture of the Rocky Mountains, “Colorado,” Jim says with a dramatic effect.

Knox looks up at Jim, “They’re the second team.”

“You bet they are, are you a fan of skiing or snowboarding Knox?”

Knox shrugs, “I’ve never been.”

Jim grins before he laughs lightly, “Well, you just might be going soon enough. In terms of teams needing to develop a goalie we have another option in Colorado. Just like Halifax, they’re interested and although I’d say the interest is stronger with Halifax, I’m not so sure. But the main thing I got out of both these calls Knox, is that come draft day- you better have your phone turned on.”

“I can keep these?” Knox asks as he gestures to the two welcome packages on Jim’s desk.

“They’re yours,” Jim tells him as he again leans back, this time he watches as Knox sorts through the second folder on Colorado, “Do you have a preference?” Jim asks him.

Knox is focused on the Colorado folder, comparing the packages and trying to spot any immediate differences, “No,” Knox says aloud as he shakes his head, “I don’t. I just want to play, and whoever will give me the best chance is the team I want to be on.”

Jim nods in agreement, “If that’s the case then I don’t think you have anything to worry about. I’m going to continue to work the phones and get what I can out there. Knowing that we have two teams is a way for us to try and entice more. We still have some time, and a wise man always tries to use it.”

“What can I do Jim?” Knox asks him, “Is there anything more I can do?”

“Just focus on yourself,” Jim tells him as he always does, “Eat right, sleep right. Show up early and stay late. Keep your eyes on the prize Knox, it’ll come soon enough.” Jim looks down at the folders in Knox’s hands, “Anytime you get down on yourself, you look at those. Use them as motivation,” Jim pauses for a moment, “Not that I believe you need it. You have what it takes to succeed in the SMJHL Knox, I know it or else I wouldn’t represent you-“ Jim bursts into laughter and Knox forces himself to join in.

“Thanks Jim,” Knox tells him.

“Keep doing what you’re doing, and it will work out for you. So tell me Knox, what should you do come draft day?”

Knox thinks about the question, “Keep my phone on?”

“Yes!” Jim exclaims as he points at him, “And what are you going to do in the meantime?”

“Focus on myself.”

“Yes, do what you can to play the best you can. Give it everything you got.”

[Image: p82ugau.png]

Great article!

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

I love your immersion from your media. Keep it up!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Great stuff!

raiders raiders raiders

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Thank you for the kind remarks, I can't wait to get started! Smile

[Image: p82ugau.png]

Great read! Keep up the hard work!

S52 "A" Alternate Captain of the Calgary Dragons
"GM" - Former Prince George Firebirds and Regina Force General Manager
"C" - Former Captain of the Halifax Raiders
S48 Brandon Holmes Trophy Recipient - Top Defensive Forward

FirebirdsScarecrowsraiders - TimberGrizzliesArmadaCanadaDragonsBlizzardStars - PlatoonSpecters
Davos Otasrob Player Page
Davos Otasrob Player Updates