Create Account

Vancouver Whalers SHL Draft Track Record: S47 & S48
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2019, 01:34 PM by Otrebor13.)

The Vancouver Whalers, one of the most successful SMJHL franchises in the SHL continues to develop exceptional talent. Many teams have great prospects, however it appears the last couple of drafts the Whalers have really developed talent well and been a team that has had most of their players get drafted in to the SHL very early. I am going to take a quick look at the last two SHL drafts and where Vancouver Whalers prospects got drafted to see just how good the Whalers are at getting players involved in the league and making them promising prospects that all SHL teams would love to have.

Season 47 SHL Draft:

Round 1

1. Jets Winnipeg Jets - Jax Duggan
8. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Cullen Gray
11.  Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Sami Raanta
15. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers (via New Orleans Specters) - Theo Morgan

Round 2

17.  Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (via New England Wolfpack) - Aaron Wilson
27.  Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Dale Miller

Round 3
35. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Joe Ackroyd
45. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - Igor Volkov

Last season, the Vancouver Whalers had 8 prospects get drafted and realize their SHL dreams, all of which got drafted by pick 45. Half of those prospects were drafted in the 1st round, as well as Jax Duggan being drafted 1st overall by the Winnipeg Jets. Cullen Gray, Sami Rieder (previously Sami Raanta), and Theo Morgan were the other 3 drafted in the 1st round. Aaron Wilson started the 2nd round by getting picked 17th by the Steelhawks, who also later selected Dale Miller.

The 3rd round saw a pair of quiet Whalers defensemen get drafted, with Joe Ackroyd and Igor Volkov getting drafted 35th and 45th respectively. With so many prospects eligible to be drafted, Vancouver made well on theirs by having them all get drafted and having them all hear their names called relatively early.

Now, let’s take a look at what happened in the S48 SHL draft which took place this past week.

Season 48 SHL Draft:

Round 1:

1. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Kaspars Claude
12. pride San Francisco Pride (via New Orleans Specters) - Bobby Bobcalf
16. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Kasperi Braulin

Round 2:

23. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs (via Manhattan Rage) -  Jon Forty-One

This season was slightly different for the Whalers, as they only had 4 draft eligible prospects. Half the size of their crop last year as Vancouver has been trying to get themselves a Four Star Cup, but nonetheless, the talent available was apparent.

For the second straight year, a Vancouver Whalers prospect was selected 1st overall, this season that honour belonged to Kaspars Claude, picked by the Tampa Bay Barracuda. To round out the first round, Bobby Bobcalf and Kasperi Braulin got drafted at 12th and 16th respectively. Lastly, and certainly not least (I don’t want to be yelled at by him in one of his articles), was Jon Forty-One, who was drafted to the Minnesota Chiefs with the 23rd overall selection. Although only 4 prospects were getting drafted this season, all of them were selected before the middle of the 2nd round came by.

Just looking at the past 2 draft seasons it is apparent that the Vancouver Whalers’ management know how to keep their players engaged and involved in the league. While most players can be credited with their work ethic and their dedication to the league, it is no secret that an active LR and great teammates makes a huge difference with keeping people interested in staying. That alone makes Vancouver and noteworthy destination for prospects. What I think is another great point is how well Vancouver has been able to get their Free Agent signings to remain active and gain recognition as top prospects, even with less experience compared to some of their peers. Last season, Theo Morgan and Dale Miller were 2 Free Agent signings and they were selected in the 1st and 2nd rounds, respectively. This season, Jon Forty-One was the only Free Agent signing made, but still found himself an SHL team by pick 23. Having your SMJHL draftees drafted high is one thing, but being able to get your free agents exposure and drafted high as well must be commended.

For the Whalers prospects who were drafted this season: It’s a shame we won’t be teammates in the SHL, but I wish you all nothing but the best in your careers. I’ve seen a lot from each of you and I know your SHL clubs are going to be very happy to have you.

To all other prospects that were drafted this week: I look forward to getting to know some of my teammates more and to others I really want to see how your careers turn out. The SMJHL can be a little tough at first, but it’ll get better.

2x Media bonus

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

Hell yeah

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Wow busy after bust and they still keep drafting from you guys what are SHL teams doing?

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2019, 06:57 PM by C9Van.)

06-09-2019, 06:29 PMFordyford Wrote: Wow busy after bust and they still keep drafting from you guys what are SHL teams doing?

Nothing intelligent. (Great article btw dude. You didn't say anything bad so Jon is cool with you <3 lol)

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Blizzard Now Isaac Forty-One Switzerland

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]