Create Account

SHL Draft Picks #37
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2019, 09:29 PM by 5ympathies.)

2x Media, WC: 1524 + research

@hotdog did this post about previous players drafted 9th overall and I found it really interesting so I figured I would do the same about people drafted at the same spot as me.

S48: Tah Puhcheese - RW - Winnipeg Jets  Jets
SMJHL Draft Position 26th - Lethbridge Lions
Current TPE: 229
SHL Stats: N/A

S47: Jay Boom'Boom - D - Los Angeles Panthers  Panthers
SMJHL Draft Position - 51st - Lethbridge Lions
Current TPE: 246

S46: Dick Clapper - LW - New England Wolfpack  Wolfpack
SMJHL Draft Position - Undrafted - Kelowna Knights FA
Current TPE: 654
SHL Stats: 12 G, 9 A, -1, 3 PPP (1 Season)

I went up to the SHL after spending two seasons in the SMJHL. Losing the game 7 in OT in the finals of the Four Seasons Cup was just too much for me to bear and so I went up to the SHL. Humility hasn't been a strong suit of mine in years and I definitely believe I should have been drafted higher. I already know how this review is gonna go and once we reach the bottom together, you'll understand that it's not hard to be the best player drafted at 37th overall. Regardless, I had a decent first season in New England, and it's only going to get better from here.

S45-S44: Pass

S43: Marc Palicka - C/RW - Minnesota Chiefs  Chiefs
SMJHL Draft Position - 16th - Detroit Falcons
Current TPE: 319

Marc Palicka was about what you would expect a 37th overall pick to be around this time of the SHL. In a lot of these drafts, teams were passing at this point, so Palicka would have been real far down in the depth charts for the Chiefs. He went inactive about a season or two after being drafted and as he was below 350 TPE he stayed in the Falcons' system until his last season in S46. He recreated recently, but only time will tell if Palicka Jr will follow the same path as his namesake. 

S42-S40: Pass

S39: Tony Snow - RW - Winnipeg Jets  Jets
SMJHL Draft Position - 44th - St. Louis Scarecrows
Current TPE: 425
SHL Stats: 5 G, 7 A, -17, 0 PPP (1 Season)

Tony Snow was a recreate of an old long time player named Tony Flow. The S39 SHL Draft had to have been a reddit draft as it was full of talent. Teams were still picking players all the way until the end of the 5th round which is crazy as in regular drafts, teams are done by the end of the second/beginning of the third. Perhaps having been on the site for so long Snow needed to take a break and his player spent 5 seasons with the Scarecrows, never actually making it to the Jets. Somewhere along the line he was traded to the Chiefs and that is where he played his one and only season in the SHL. He appears to have recreated and is eligible for the S48 SMJHL Draft occurring tomorrow. 

S38: Damien Blackfyre - G - Texas Renegades  Renegades
SMJHL Draft Position - Undrafted - Kelowna Knights FA
Current TPE: 310
SHL Stats: 0-2-1, .889 SV, 4,67 GAA (1 Season)

Blackfyre was drafted near the end of his draft with 9 players being selected afterwards. He created after the SMJHL draft and so signed as a free agent with Kelowna instead, spending 5 seasons there from S37-S41. He was called up for 3 games in S40 to play for the Seattle Riot but it didn't go well and was unfortunately sent down. His poor play is more on Seattle than him, however, as 310 TPE is well under the SMJHL cap and is no one should be surprised about his stats when he was called up. 

S37: Jamie Bryan - D - Manhattan Rage  Rage
SMJHL Draft Position: 31st - Vancouver Whalers
Current TPE: ???

Bryan spent 4 seasons with 3 different SMJHL teams and never went up to the SHL. I can only assume his total TPE was less than 350. 

S36: MF Ozolins - RW - Minnesota Chiefs  Chiefs
SMJHL Draft Position: 44th - Kelowna Knights
Current TPE: 346

The Bojo Box has 0 info on this guy. He must have played at least a few seasons with Kelowna as he is just about at the SMJHL cap. 

S35: Gord McKenzie - C - Winnipeg Jets  Jets
SMJHL Draft Position: 6th - Halifax Raiders
Current TPE: 144
SHL Stats: 0 G, 0 A, -6 (10 Seasons)

I'm shocked this guy had 10 seasons in the show considering he never scored a single point ever in the SHL. He was pretty highly rated and very active at first, I mean Halifax drafted him 6th overall so they must have seen something. Unfortunately, he went inactive pretty quickly. He played 7 seasons with the Pride, playing every game and never registering a point so I guess they must've been desperate to ice a full roster. He even suffered from regression at the end of his career.

S34: Pass

S33: Maricis Kalvis - F - Hamilton Steelhawks  Steelhawks

The further back I go, the harder it is to find info about people. He played 2 season on the Whalers, which makes me assume that he had less than 350 TPE. I can tell he was a forward by his stats but don't know what position.

S32, S30-S28: Pass

S31: Frankie Latta - No SHL stats 

S27: Julius Sylvia - G - West Kendall Platoon  Platoon
SMJHL Draft Position: 18th - Prince George Firebirds
Current TPE: 183
SHL Stats: 7-5-0, .888 SV, 3.41 GAA (4 Seasons)

Another draft where 37th overall was one of the last few picks of the draft. He played a few games for the Steelhawks from S32-S36 but went inactive the season after being drafted in the SMJHL and ended with a TPE high of 204. 

S26: Ben Klinkhammer - Winger - Hamilton Steelhawks  Steelhawks
SMJHL Draft Position: Undrafted - Detroit Falcons FA
SHL Stats: 1 G, 1 A, 0, 1 PPP (1 Season)

Another player with next to know info. Appears to be undrafted in the SMJHL and is definitely a winger of some kind but unsure of the side he played. He spent 4 seasons with Detroit and just under a full season with Hamilton.

S25: Tim Tebow - Winger - Winnpeg Jets  Jets 
SMJHL Draft Position: Undrafted - Detroit Falcons FA
SHL Stats: 3 G, 3 A, -10, 0 PPP (1 Season)

I feel like this guy is just the same as the last guy. This time there was only one season spent in Detroit but he then went up for the Steelhawks where he played a full season there. 

S24-S21: Pass

S20: James Adkins - No SHL stats

S19-S17: No 37th pick even available

S16: Rick o'Malley - No SHL stats

S15: Nikolai Niemiets - Winger - Minnesota Chiefs  Chiefs
SHL Stats: 1 G, 5 A, -17 (4 Seasons)

S14: Brandon Lesyk - C - Manhattan Rage  Rage
SMJHL Draft Position: Undrafted - Montreal Impact FA
Current TPE: 166
SHL Stats: 1 G, 2 A, -9 (3 Seasons)

S13: Pass

S12: Vladimir Kyssmyice - RW - Los Angeles Panthers  Panthers
SMJHL Draft: Detroit Falcons
SHL Stats: None Available

S11: Maxime Talbot - Las Vegas Kings RIP

S10: Fabian Fuhrberg - G - Hamilton Steelhaws  Steelhawks
SMJHL Draft Position: 16th - Kelowna Knights
Current TPE: 303
SHL Stats: 60-66-14, .887 SV, 2.99 GAA (12 Seasons)

This might be the best player drafted 37th overall in the SHL ever and it's only because of longevity. 

S9: Rob Bishop - D - Minnesota Chiefs  Chiefs
No SHL stats

S8: John Hagen - C - Manhatten Rage  Rage
SHL: 0 G, 0 A, -21 (2 Seasons)

S7: Marik Hamsik - Calgary Dragons - No SHL stats 

S6: Super Man - Winnipeg Jets  Jets
SHL Stats: 2 G, 5 A, -4 (1 Season)

Great name, too bad it was wasted with only one season. Also the real take away from this is that seasons used to be 60 games long instead of 50.

S5: Matthew Sullivan - D - Hamilton Steelhawks  Steelhawks
SHL: 0 G, 5 A, +12, 57 H, 44 SB (1 Season)

S4: C.J. Major - G - West Kendall Platoon  Platoon
SHL Stats: 0-1-0, .825 SV, 2.57 GAA

S3: Zack Gagnon - D - Manhatten Rage  Rage
SHL Stats: 11 G, 26 A, +11, 185 H, 105 SB (3 Seasons)

S2: John Matthews - Manhatten Rage  Rage
SHL Stats: 10 G, 35 A, 0, 150 H, 213 SB (9 Seasons)

He appears to be the man to beat. 

S1: Pekka Jarmuth - Winnipeg Jets  Jets
No SHL Stats

Cool, so if you followed me this far you now see that there are max 4 people better than me drafted at 37th overall. One of the 3 is a goalie but I'm poised to take the lead for points by the end of next season. Honestly before writing this, I was expecting at least a few players with over 100 points; instead there were a few with over 10...

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2019, 09:30 PM by luke.)

That’s Marc Paligma Balls to you

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]