Create Account

Serpe Sits Down To Talk Draft and Future

Hello and welcome to another edition of SHL Weekly, in this article we will talk about New Orleans Specters Charlie Serpe and how he will be making the jump to the SHL for Season 48. We are looking forward to talking with him and getting an idea of how his career has went so far and what he thinks his future will look like. But first we will give the readers a brief overview of Serpe’s SMJHL career and how he projects to the SHL.

The Season 47 10th overall pick Charlie Serpe will be playing in the SHL after only two seasons in the SMJHL. This shouldn’t be shocking news for fans and players around the league. Serpe was able to put up an amazing season in the SMJHL, recording over 30 points and blocked over 70 shots which is a very good number and he was able to lead the league in blocked shots. The growth from his rookie SMJHL season to his past SMJHL season was amazing. Not just because he played more minutes, but he was able to be a better teammate in the locker room, including being an assistant captain and helping the his fellow SMJHL rookies get use to the league and help them be prepared to takeover for him when he leaves.
Leaving the St. Louis Scarecrows won’t be easy, and the Scarecrows will greatly miss Serpe, who was their best defenseman and was one of the best in the long history of great defenseman to wear a Scarecrows jersey. If Serpe had stayed down for a few more seasons it could be said that he might have had his number retired or make it to the Crows hall of fame. For now, we don’t think that’s going to happen, but you never know and the end goal for Serpe was to play in the SHL for New Orleans. We can speculate all we want but it was said during the long and intense contract negations between New Orleans and Serpe is that Serpe wanted to be up in the SHL sooner rather than later and he was willing to take a pretty sizeable pay cut in years 2 and 3 of his contract to make that happen. Serpe made it clear he wanted to be paid very well but at the end of the day reaching the SHL is more important than money and he will have several more contracts to be negations to be had in his career.

Taking a look back at the season 47 SMJHL draft we see that there were three defensemen taken before Serpe, Duggan, Kennedy and Ford. These 4 all have the potential to be franchise defenseman and it will be interesting to see if any of these others will be playing in the SHL in S48 or if they will be taking more time to develop. New Orleans is in win now mode unlike some of these other teams are.  

For the next part of this article we will interview the man himself, Charlie Serpe about his future goals and aspirations in the SHL.

Interview Hey Charlie, thanks for coming on and talking with us.
Serpe: No problem, glad to be back on here, it has been too long.

Interview Yes, the last time you were here we talked right before the S47 SHL draft. Congrats on making the SHL roster for this season. First question, what line do you think you will be playing on?

Serpe: I’m excited to play for New Orleans in season 48. I expect to play a fair number of minutes, but I understand that I will be expected to play more minutes in the up coming years. I want to get my feet wet and get some minutes under me. I would like to get some powerplay time as that is where I excel most; but I trust the management team in New Orleans and I believe they will be me in the best position for myself and the team to succeed and a bring a cup to New Orleans.

Interview Alright Charlie, thanks for coming on the show for a quick question. We wish you the best of luck in the upcoming season and we look forward to talking with you again.

714 words and double media bonus

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

Specters Specters Specters