Create Account

A S48 SMJHL draft retrospective from the Outlaws point of view

The day of the draft, we were not 100% sure if one of our GMs could be there for the whole draft, so we had to make a detailed list with our preferences, that we could hand over to nobody if the worst case happened, so that he could auto pick for us. The Outlaws have a pretty good track record in drafting phenomenal first generation players in the first round that other teams aren't that big on. In the S47 draft, we picked Nick Conolly (@shutdown ) at 6th overall and the year before Corey Kennedy (@SDCore ) at 2nd overall. Both have developed really well and have gone on to be very early picks in their SHL drafts. So going into this very recreate heavy draft, we were confident with our chances to even at 10th overall still be able to get one of the best players of the draft class. The top two names on our list however, were not first generation players, but recreates, who we felt confident that they would be very good additions to our locker room and fit well with the team. One of those was Derek Bohne (@wumaduce ), who publically made it very clear that he would only play for 2 teams. We knew, we were one of those two, but we also knew that the other one was the Colorado Raptors, who picked 2nd overall. We did not really have the means to trade up to first, even though that pick was on the block, so we knew that we would most likely miss out on Bohne. We also knew that the 2nd recreate on our list, Cody (@Winter is Coming ) would be gone before we picked for the first time. 

So, we've turned our eyes towards the best first gens of the class, hoping that one of them would fall to pick number 10. The best new player in our eyes was Anthony Archer (@Zach ). He created soon after the trade deadline, so he was one of the older players in his draft class. He's also a friend of Torbvo and stayed active for a couple of weeks without being on a team. All very good signs that he would stay active and be an important part of the team that would draft him. Other first generation player that we would have felt good about taking at 10th overall were Jake Primeau (@rangersbruinslightning ), Wyatt Ruschkoff (@Sand ), Jukka Jokinen (@jtp ), Heat Siecker (@HeatSiecker ) and Noah Brusky (@BrewskyBoy ). In the last 2 hours before the draft, I chatted up the top 4 of them (Archer, Primeau, Ruschkoff and Jokinen), because I felt pretty confident that at least one of them would still be available when we first picked. Primeau wasn't around so he didn't respond but the other three all seemed to be pretty happy when I told them that they were considered for 10th over all. Personally, I was convinced that Archer would be drafted before it was our turn, but I would have been very happy with getting one of the other three as well.

The draft comes around and the Detroit Falcons pick Noah Andros (@Good_Ole_Kimmy ) first over all. A lot of people saw Jagger Fouquette (@Waters ) at this position, but I guess they felt Fouquette would be more likely to drop to 4, where they would pick again, than Andros. We would have liked Andros in Anaheim, but it was obvious that he wouldn't fall to 10. At 2nd over all, the Colorado Raptors claimed Derek Bohne, like we already knew they would, so no big surprise there. The Halifax Raiders picked up Cody at 3rd over all, which also was no huge surprise. Definitely a good pick up for the Raiders. That means, Jagger Fouquette fell down to 4th over all and Detroit was able to get both of their top picks. A very good start of the Falcons in this draft.

Now came the picks where we felt, the first of the first generation players were going to be picked. The Kelowna Knights, who picked at number 5 are also a franchise that values first generation players highly, but they went for Prince Devitt (@CFJ ), who will definitely be a good player, but since he wasn't at the top of our list, we were pretty happy about that pick. We were pretty sure that Elija Jones (@"Torbvo" ) would not fall past the Anchorage Armada, since he has already played half a season with them and publicly said that they were his first choice. So it came to no ones surprise when the Armada picked him up at 6th over all. The Vancouver Whalers at 7th over all picked Jan Zacha (@StaticShocked ). At this point, we felt like Archer might actually fall to us which had us pretty excited. But of course, next up were the St. Louis Scarecrows, another franchise that tends to pick first generation players rather highly. However, they did not go for Anthony Archer, but instead picked up Noah Brusky, a player who was also on our radar, but rumoured to already be picked in the top 5, which is why we didn't get our hopes up about him falling to us. With that pick out of the way, only the Montreal Militia stood between us and Archer, but they opted to not take the chance on a first generation player and get Connor Tanner (@Keygan ) instead. Definitely a great pick that we had assumed would come earlier, but we were pretty happy about it. 

So we didn't have to discuss, we all knew that we were pretty happy to have gotten Anthony Archer. We would have taken him if we were picking fourth over all, so picking late in the round did not really make our draft any worse. Now, we did not have our second round pick, so we assumed that our other favourites like Ruschkoff, Jokinen and Siecker would be gone by then and we were eyeing players like Nicklaus Engel (@rittflyers ) or Gavin Hughes (@Brandon ) for our third round pick, which would be pick number 26. And indeed, Heat Siecker went 11th over all to the Colorado Raptors, who also picked up Bo Kane (@NONAME ) at 12th. Kane was a player we would definitely have been happy to have, but we knew that he would likely be picked in the second round. At number 13, the Lethbridge Lions took Delver Fudgeson (@Massive Coiler) with their first pick of the draft. Fudgeson was a player we weren't too keen on getting, but for the moment he doesn't look like a bad pick up. At number 14, Jake Primeau was picked up by the Anchorage Armada and Wyatt Ruschkoff went 16th to the Halifax Raiders. In between them at number 15 went Gotta Love Honors Bio (@GottaLoveHonorsBio), a player we did not necessarily predict to go in the second round. Pick number 17 should have surprised no one since the Detroit Falcons used it to pick up their Co-GM, Skao Anazibf (@nour). 

At 18th over all, we saw Ricky Spanish (@Whikadoodle ) go to the Raiders, which was no huge surprise. Many people probably even saw him gone sooner. Hugh Jazz (@"ThatDamnMcJesus" ) went 19th to the Militia. Also a pick that a lot of people would have expected sooner. And at pick number 20, the first goalie went to the Colorado Raptors. Knox Booth (@Tate ) would probably have gone sooner if he wasn't a goalie. The next picks were Jean-François Mayer (@YVOVD ) to Colorado, Raquel Castillo Gutierrez (@Jiggly_333 ) to Montreal and Jon Snow (@ckenny45 ) to Halifax. The attentive reader knows that there was only one team picking ahead of our second pick of the draft now and that Jukka Jokinen was also still available. Jokinen was a rather late addition to the draft class, but he steadily rose in our list on the day of the draft because he looked to be very active, went into the draft with a great mentality and his update post looked very well structured, which is always a great sign. So we were very excited when with the 25th pick of the draft, the Kelowna Knights did not pick Jokinen, but Sterling Slaughter (@ItsLTH ) instead. So we had another no brainer pick and I'm convinced that he will be a much better player than your average non reddit draft third rounder. 

Between this pick and our fourth round one, the draft started to dry up and pretty much all the active players, except a couple of goalies, were gone, so we just picked up a couple of players, who we thought might still come back from inactivity. At 36th, we picked up Karl Motley (@motzaburg ) and at 46th, Daniel Gonzalez (@Dany). At number 56, Gritty Saosin (@Joester09 ) was still available. He is a goalie and will have to play as our third goalie for a season, before he can claim a back up spot, but he looks to be at least semi-active, and we wouldn't want a player like that go undrafted. All the other teams were passing at that point, but we decided to take our chances on one more currently inactive player and with the 66th and last pick of the draft, we picked up Alexander Mann (@mikeywicky ).

So overall, I think we did as well, as we possibly could have. Being able to pick up two possible first rounders with only one late first and one mid third round pick was pretty huge. I think, the Outlaws are on a good way to stay competitive every season, even though this season we got hit hard with call ups. We continue to have a great locker room and with every draft so far have managed to add some great players to it.

Code:
1647 words - 2x draft media

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

What's the inverse of a sub-tweet? Like when you name-drop someone in an article specifically after not talking about them and then continue to not talk about them after mentioning their name.

[Image: 1104.gif]

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

06-11-2019, 12:48 PMJiggly_333 Wrote: What's the inverse of a sub-tweet? Like when you name-drop someone in an article specifically after not talking about them and then continue to not talk about them after mentioning their name.

[Image: 1104.gif]

Sorry about that.

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath