Create Account

Team Brand Ranking - SHL Western Conference

With the eastern conference team brand rankings complete, it is now time to dive into the western conference. I will be taking the top 4 scoring teams from each conference and putting them into a playoff bracket where they will face-off 1v1. The hatred was real with the eastern conference rankings, let's see if I can continue the trend and upset three quarters of the league and ruin Bo Kane's draft stock.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragons Calgary Dragons Dragons

Team Name: 3/8

Calgary is literally known as "cowtown" due to the extremely popular annual Calgary Stampede that they host. While I'm sure for a lot of people this might make Calgary a great destination to play in, it's a negative for me. The last thing I would be interested in is attending that event. Not to mention those brutal winters you'll have to deal with as well. Big fat no from me. The name itself is pretty cool. Dragons might seem kind of generic in a sense which is understandable but a Dragon is badass and there's no way around that.

Logo: 6/8

This logo is clean. The detail on the dragon is incredible and I like the way they incorporated the team name into the logo. From what I can see they don't have a secondary logo. I hope that's in the plans for the future because you can make some really badass logo's/jerseys with the dragon theme.

Jerseys: 4/8

There's not much negative to say about these jerseys. They aren't super special but they are far from bad too. I do wish the alternate home was the main home jersey because I like the red version as they stand out more. I really like the striping down the arms as well.

Overall Score: 13/24

Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard Blizzard

Team Name: 5/8

Edmonton is in the same boat as Calgary with those winters, yuck. I have lot's of friends who joined the military and every single one of them did the best they could to not get posted to Edmonton (one guy got stuck there but he actually enjoys). Personally, would rather not ever have to deal with winters if I can help it. The name itself is really cool. Blizzard obviously suits Edmonton really well.

Logo: 5/8

The western conference just has such good logo's. 4/8 just seems lower than it should but as I said, the competition is tough. The shades of blue all mix really nicely together and give you that cold vibe. I really like the incorporation of yellow/gold for the text and in the logo. The font on Blizzard is really unique and suits the name really well also. I wish the secondary logo wasn't so identical to the main logo such as the word mark logo but they still look good.

Jerseys: 7/8

I'm an absolute sucker for blue and these jerseys are filled with different shades of it. The away jerseys look so clean with the darker blue as the shoulders and than lighter blue throughout the rest of the jersey. The alternate jerseys are solid light blue and it looks awesome. My only complaint would be the word mark logo on the alternate. I wish it was a different logo as mentioned before.

Overall Score: 17/24

Panthers LA Panthers Panthers

Team Name: 6/8

Fricken LA baby. How could you not enjoy living there if you're wealthy? Especially if you're an athlete. The sun, the beaches, the women, the nightlife, the mansions, and just so on and so forth. LA has everything a wealthy young athlete could want. While the name Panthers might come across as super generic and unoriginal, it's still damn cool so I don't care.

Logo: 8/8

This logo is nasty. It screams originality. I love the orange and teal colour combo together. The Panther walking on the ground with the sun in the background gives me two vibes. Lion King and then the Hollywood sign (no idea why I get that vibe to be honest). It just looks like a really cool unique logo. The secondary logo is really cool how they kept the panther head shape and then have the city skyline as the background.

Jersey: 8/8

These might be my favourite jerseys in the SHL and even the SMJHL. Like I mentioned earlier, I love the colour combo of orange and teal. The striping on the home jersey is really cool. I'm a huge fan of it going behind the logo and then it carrying over to the sleeves. I wish the away jersey did that also but it still looks awesome.

Overall Score: 22/24

Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs Chiefs

Team Name: 1/8

Living in Minnesota is actually a pretty intriguing thing. It's often considered the state of hockey because it's such a popular sport there which is obviously a good thing. The reason they are getting the worst possible rank is because I'm not a fan of the Chiefs name. The whole sport teams referring to Native American's and First Nations is a huge controversey. Some consider it offensive and stereotyping and while I definitely believe that is not the case and that they are trying to highlight the positive traits associated with them I just find it something that is better off avoiding.

Logo: 2/8

The logo design is really well done obviously but it's the same issue as with the name so I won't repeat myself here.

Jerseys: 2/8

I'm sure a lot of people actually really like these jerseys but out of personal preference of colour it's getting a low ranking for me. I'm not a fan of green, especially the shade on the jerseys. I do like the striping though.

Overall Score: 5/24

Specters New Orleans Specters Specters

Team Name: 4/8

New Orleans is literally known for his nightlife experience which obviously is a huge plus to me because who doesn't like to party. The name Specters is also really badass and unique. I don't have any negative things to say about the team name, it's just really tough in the western conference.

Logo: 1/8

I honestly don't know why I dislike the logo so much. The character looks cool and I like the idea of it but it just doesn't stand out to me. It seems like there is too much solid colours throughout the logo so maybe it just lacks some detail. The font used on Specters looks really cool though.

Jerseys: 1/8

I love the idea of using purple because it's different but I just feel like it's a swing and a miss here. There is just too much solid black going on with the middle of the jersey being all black and then the shorts being black as well. I just feel like the jersey colours don't blend well together especially the black stripes on the away jersey.

Overall Score: 6/24

pride San Francisco Pride pride

Team Name: 8/8

San Francisco seems like it would be a really cool place to live. I'm pretty sure this is where a lot of major tech companies have their main headquarters which is neat. The name Pride is something I really like also. Generally, you want your sports team name to be intimidating and scary but they went for a completely different vibe here and I think it works. Pride is just a positive word and I think the team name would be great with building motivation throughout the organization.

Logo: 3/8

This logo is good but is just missing some aspects, unfortunately. I really like the colours as I'm a fan of purple and I think with gold/yellow it looks really good. I just wish the logo had the team name somewhere incorporated into it. I'm not a huge fan of the shoulder patch as the lion just looks like an old school design to me. The SFP word shoulder patch I'm also not a fan of as I just find it really basic and boring,

Jerseys: 6/8

As I mentioned before, purple and gold/yellow mix really well together and this jersey is proof. The usage of the gold/yellow along the top to separate the shoulder area from the main jersey is perfect and is the exact type of detail the Specters jersey is missing. I like the stripes on the jersey as well. The alternate jersey could use some work as I find the gold/yellow a little too much and as I mentioned before I'm not a fan of that logo.

Renegades Texas Renegades Renegades

Team Name: 2/8

Texas would be an interesting place to live because the weather is always nice and the food would be crazy good. The reason they rank so low though is because of the name. I personally am just not a fan because I find it to be very generic. It reminds me of the NHL game series EASHL just like the logo does.

Logo: 4/8

I really like the black, grey/silver, and white colourway. If done right it can look really clean and sleek which is exactly the situation here. The text looks cool and I like the hockey stick in the logo. The actual cowboy part I'm not a huge fan of because it reminds me of the pre-made custom logos in the NHL game series. I'm not a huge fan of the secondary logo as the added colour to represent the United States takes away from the sleek look I like with the colourway chosen.

Jersey: 5/8

As mentioned twice above, I find this colourway looks really nice together when done correctly. I wish on the home jersey they had a silver/grey line separating the shoulder part from the main jersey but overall it looks really nice. On the away jersey I wish they used the normal logo without the added colour for reasons mentioned above. The alternate jersey looks awesome and unique. I like the colour split from silver/grey to white at the middle portion of the jersey.

Overall Score: 11/24

Jets Winnipeg Jets Jets

Team Name: 7/8

While I would absolutely hate living in Winnipeg because it's a terrible city and the winters are brutal. The fan support in Winnipeg is off the charts. Just listen to the arena during the NHL Winnipeg Jet games. While the team name isn't original as it's a direct rip of the original NHL Winnipeg Jets it's still a cool name and obviously, that's a good general consensus as the new Atlanta Thrashers relocating to Winnipeg kept the Jets name.

Logo: 7/8

I love the NHL Jet's logo but I like this one even better so that speaks volume. The font gives me vibes from one of the original NHL Jets logos which is cool. I'm a sucker for city skylines in logos so I'm obviously a huge fan of that here and I like the detail of the jet flying in the background. I think the colours all work really well together also.

Jerseys: 3/8

Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of the jerseys for the jets. They aren't bad by any means but I don't think they are good either. I just find them too simple I guess? I'm not really sure. The alternate jersey with the stripes is really cool and the other alternate with the gold/cream colour is nice. I just wish the shade was a little lighter.

Final Rankings
1st: LA Panthers - 22 points
T 2nd: Winnipeg Jets - 17 points
T 2nd: San Francisco Pride - 17 points
T 2nd: Edmonton Blizzard - 17 points
5th: Calgary Dragons - 13 points
6th: Texas Renegades - 11 points
7th: New Orleans Specters
8th: Minnesota Chiefs

With each conference rankings officially done this is the playoff bracket for the Team Brand Finals. Winner from each conference will face-off in the finals.

Eastern Conference
Toronto North Stars vs Tampa Bay Barracuda
West Kendall Platoon vs Hamilton Steelhawks

Western Conference
LA Panthers vs Edmonton Blizzard
Winnipeg Jets vs San Francisco Pride

Words: 1979

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sort of on the fence on how to do the playoff format so if anyone has some ideas don't be afraid to share. I just need a format that won't result in ties.

Falcons Canada

[Image: Screenshot_20190627-201134__01.jpg]

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

06-27-2019, 09:12 PMSlashACM Wrote: [Image: Screenshot_20190627-201134__01.jpg]

I can't wait to score on you

Falcons Canada

how you not gonna knock the only team with the exact name of an NHL team for originality? haha good stuff though @NONAME I always like articles like this

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

06-27-2019, 09:56 PMGrapehead Wrote: how you not gonna knock the only team with the exact name of an NHL team for originality? haha good stuff though @NONAME I always like articles like this

Bias basically but thank you!

Falcons Canada

lee wants to know your location

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

06-28-2019, 12:18 AMTnlAstatine Wrote: lee wants to know your location

Victoria B.C, pull up

Falcons Canada

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

i bet it's tough to have crap visuals when you got Wasty as a GM, lol

totally agree with the LAP part. but i'd give Calgary less points, the dragon is a bit cheesy. but good stuff, nevertheless.

[Image: ontanis.gif]

[Image: 6by0kBi.png] [Image: YztPk3T.png]
thanks to @Wasty, @Bruins10, @Carpy48 and @iRockstar for the sigs!