Create Account

Check in with Lyle Odelein III

We are now past the halfway point of S48 of the SMJHL.  A quick look at the standing shows the reigning Four Star Cup champions, Anaheim Outlaws, on top of the table, with a four point lead over their nearest competitor (Detroit Falcons).  The St. Louis Scarecrows find themselves seven points back from the league leaders, sitting alone in 3rd place.  We caught up with Lyle Odelein III who this season, became a much bigger piece of this St. Louis team.  We sat down to discuss this season so far, we asked him about the Crows as well as his SHL team the New Orleans Specters:

Q: It’s been a busy season for you so far, we’re very happy to be able to get this chance to talk with you.

A: Me too!  We haven’t had a chance to get caught up in a while, glad we could make this work.

Q: A lot has happened this season for you, after being drafted 8th overall to the New Orleans Specters and winning the gold medal with Team Canada at the WJC, you started your second season as a St. Louis Scarecrow, and you did it wearing an A on your jersey.  All of that must have made for a busy off season, was it difficult to get back into your routine with the Crows?

A: Not at all, it was surprising how easy it was to get back into the Crows locker room.  We have such a great group of guys on the team and we were super lucky to snag the rookies we did in the SMJHL draft, as soon as pre-season kicked off we all knew it was time to do our jobs, and start playing some solid hockey.

Q: Thirty three games into this season, past the halfway point, you and your St. Louis Crows are sitting in third place, behind Detroit and the league leaders and last seasons Four Star Cup champs, the Anaheim Outlaws.  How do you see this last part of the regular season playing out?

A: I’m not too sure to be honest.  We’ve had some great games this season so far, Mika and Nicolaj have been lighting it up as of late.  Are top two lines have been crazy good.  And for us on defense, Izem and Noah have been playing some great hockey as well.  I think we are going to keep winning a lot of games, but since we are sitting back from (fuck) Detroit and Anaheim, we need them to start losing a couple of games as well.  That’s not something that’s in our control.  We are going to keep going out there and try to win every game, I think we have the team that could do that, so I wouldn’t be surprised at all to be back at the top of the standings at the end of the season, but again, we’ll need a little help there!

Q: You talked about some of your teammates playing some good hockey, but you didn’t mention yourself.  I know you’re a humble person, so for those reading this, Lyle is currently sitting with 22 points on the season, with 7 goals and 15 helpers.  That is good for 9th overall for all defenders in points.  He is also in the top ten in the league for blocked shots and hits.  That’s quite a change from last seasons 7 points!

A: I’ve never been a huge fan of looking at stats, but ya, being able to get some more ice time this season, playing on the first pairing with Basil has been awesome.  Being able to put more points on the board for the team is all I ever want to be able to do.  I’ve also been able to get some special teams time too, that’s always been one of my favourite times to be on the ice, so I’m very grateful to get those chances.

Q: You seem to be firing on all cylinders out there, are there any areas of your game that you aren’t so happy with right now?

A: I’ve been taking a lot of penalties this season.  I think that is something that my grandfather passed along!  I want to be able to tone those penalties down a bit.  I hate being the reason my team is on the disadvantage, and the fact that I just have to sit in the box and not be able to help drives my crazy.  I knew going into the season that I would be playing a lot more, and for the most part against some of the tougher players.  I don’t want me taking a penalty be a reason for us to lose a game.  That is something that doesn’t sit well with me.  The refs are calling all of the games tight this season, that’s something I got to remember each time I step on the ice.  I’m no good to my team when I’m sitting in the box.

Q: So, with 17 games left to go, what are your predictions for the 48th season of the SMJHL?

A: Predictions? Well, I’d like to predict that the St. Louis Scarecrows are going to win the Four Star Cup. It’s not going to be easy, and none of us think it will be.  We’ve got a lot of work to go before we can even think about raising that beauty cup, we’re going to take it one game at a time.  We’ve got some real tough competition this season, but Anaheim showed everyone last season that anything can happen once the playoffs start.  We’d like to show everyone that same thing this season.  We were gutted last season when Anaheim beat us in game seven of the conference finals, we worked hard in the off season to try and prevent that.  All of us who were on the team last year do not want to repeat that feeling, and our kick ass rookies are ready for what ever comes our way.

Q: Sounds like your really focused on winning the championship!  Have you been able to spend much time with the team that drafted you into the SHL?

A: For sure! I try and get down to New Orleans whenever I get the chance.  My grandfather and dad are both hard at work getting their hockey training center underway.  It’s been great to see what they are doing down there.  The community seems to have really embraced them.  I try to get over the Specters locker room as much as I can as well.  They have such a great team and I really enjoy chatting with all of them.  I’m really looking forward to being able to make the move when the times comes.

Q: Has there been any discussion about that?  When you’ll get the call-up?

A: Ya, Joe and I had a good chat a little bit ago.  If everything goes as planned, I’ll be spending at least another season in St. Louis, which I think is great.  I always felt 3 seasons in the SMJHL would allow me to perfect my game, and I should hopefully be able to make the move and be able to make an impact in my first season wearing a NOLA jersey.  I’ve got a lot of work to do before that, not only in training, but I want to win as much as I can for the Crows, they gave me this opportunity to play in this league, I want to be able to really thank them by helping win a cup with this team, maybe even two cups!!

Q: That sounds like a pretty solid plan to me.  Glad we’ll get to watch you play here in St. Louis for a little while longer.  It’s been fun watching you grow into the player you have become.  Last season you played the 2nd least minutes on the team, but you were very noticeable every time you took to the ice, so much so that you were a top ten pick in the SHL draft.  This season, you are playing the 2nd most minutes on the team, and contributing in all areas.  I for one can’t wait to see what is next in line for you.

A: Thanks, those are some kind words.  I’m just doing what I get paid to do.  Since day one, I’ve only wanted to help my team win.  I’m going to keep doing that, day in and day out.  My ultimate goal is the same as all of my teammates, to win the cup.  Whether that cup is the Four Star here in the SMJHL or the Champions Cup when I get to the SHL, that’s what I want to be a part of and I’m going to keep working hard to make sure I am ready when our opportunity arrives.

Well, that’s all we have for now, big thanks to Lyle for sitting down with us, and best of luck to him and his St. Louis Scarecrows teammates in their journey towards the playoffs and the Four Star Cup. 

Thanks for reading and GO CROWS GO!!!

Word count - 1640

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

Go Crows!!

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, and Ragnarr for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Militia