Create Account

Regarding Today's Response to Sexism

I hope people don't assume I was defending sexist comments or actions but at the end of the day If you do you clearly don't know me or what I stand for.

Publicly shaming, bashing, "dunking" on fools only drives them, further away and strengthens their skewed views on the world people like to preach for everyone to be treated fair but are then very quick to throw someone under the bus rather then lending a hand to help educate. I know its none of our responsibility to help teach and educate but on the other hand its not our responsibility to punish or shame them either, but when making the choice of what path to take id prefer to see people push for constructive changes.

But seriously Here's to women in sports I have had the privilege of meeting Cassie Campbell a few times shes amazing and I love her broadcasting, I love seeing the diversity spread through sports and everything else as we all improve (even if its slow). I appreciate those who stand up for others because its important I just want everyone to consider how they are standing up for people because there is a right way and a wrong way.

<3 one love SHL

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: qp9sjzw.png] [Image: QPhJjnn.png] [Image: cz7Q1LV.png] [Image: RapExQb.png] [Image: sXGJ3Yn.png]
-----
[Image: aasdAwo.png]

Canada Update Thread | Player Page Canada

I don't know who penknight thinks he is
Maybe he thought he was safe in NOLA

Guys like him are despicable
A casual comment like that is so wrong
Y'all did good by calling him out

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

And I'd be willing to bet most of the hypocrites calling him out voted for the grab em by the pussy guy

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

07-12-2019, 09:38 AMTML99 Wrote: Publicly shaming, bashing, "dunking" on fools only drives them, further away and strengthens their skewed views on the world people like to preach for everyone to be treated fair but are then very quick to throw someone under the bus rather then lending a hand to help educate. I know its none of our responsibility to help teach and educate but on the other hand its not our responsibility to punish or shame them either, but when making the choice of what path to take id prefer to see people push for constructive changes.

Again, I think this misses the general idea behind "calling out" people like PenKnight when they say bigoted things.

People should not be reasonably expected to "teach" others how to not be bigots. The best I think we can do is provide a community (whether in the SHL or your hometown or a country or the whole world) that is not "tolerant" of those ideals being put out in the open, and demonstrating that if you wish to be accepted in a community then you cannot demonstrate or endorse these views. While some people may still hold those views but not publicly voice them, it reduces the amount of "air-time" that those views get, reducing the chances of impressionable people taking those ideas as moral and makes a community a better place.

Making statements that are borderline are a different story, and someone who makes a statement that is on the edge may be willing to listen to reason as to why a statement is a bad one or "problematic". I do not believe that PenKnight's comments were borderline.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Good job calling someone out who said some bigoted stuff. It shouldn't be excused and it wasn't.

However, anyone who is willing to condemn a person and offer no chance of redemption is no better than the offender in the long run. The only thing that separates you from the bigot are more "tolerant" viewpoints. Irony. Enjoy the view from your high horses, it will get lonely up there eventually.

If the offender does not with to change their ways or even see things from a different point of view, then this probably isn't the best place for him or her.

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

07-12-2019, 09:38 AMTML99 Wrote: I hope people don't assume I was defending sexist comments or actions but at the end of the day If you do you clearly don't know me or what I stand for.

Publicly shaming, bashing, "dunking" on fools only drives them, further away and strengthens their skewed views on the world people like to preach for everyone to be treated fair but are then very quick to throw someone under the bus rather then lending a hand to help educate. I know its none of our responsibility to help teach and educate but on the other hand its not our responsibility to punish or shame them either, but when making the choice of what path to take id prefer to see people push for constructive changes.

But seriously Here's to women in sports I have had the privilege of meeting Cassie Campbell a few times shes amazing and I love her broadcasting, I love seeing the diversity spread through sports and everything else as we all improve (even if its slow). I appreciate those who stand up for others because its important I just want everyone to consider how they are standing up for people because there is a right way and a wrong way.

<3 one love SHL

While I did call him out and "dunk" him, I think it was mostly because he doubled down and claimed he was "old school" in his ways and wouldn't change, or something along those lines. I do agree, everyone should be taught not to be bigots or racist, but I guess it's also hard to know when to do that, especially when those people will just double down if they are already spreading their hate.

07-12-2019, 10:18 AMBarnabasCollins Wrote: And I'd be willing to bet most of the hypocrites calling him out voted for the grab em by the pussy guy

[Image: emot-jerkbag.gif]

[Image: tjFQotX.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]

07-12-2019, 10:40 AMMarc Bradford Wrote: Good job calling someone out who said some bigoted stuff.  It shouldn't be excused and it wasn't.

However, anyone who is willing to condemn a person and offer no chance of redemption is no better than the offender in the long run.  The only thing that separates you from the bigot are more "tolerant" viewpoints.  Irony.  Enjoy the view from your high horses, it will get lonely up there eventually.
I think a person isn't worthy of redemption until they are willing to start the path for it. We shouldn't just grant someone redemption because they might be willing to change their views at some point.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

07-12-2019, 10:53 AMArGarBarGar Wrote:
07-12-2019, 10:40 AMMarc Bradford Wrote: Good job calling someone out who said some bigoted stuff.  It shouldn't be excused and it wasn't.

However, anyone who is willing to condemn a person and offer no chance of redemption is no better than the offender in the long run.  The only thing that separates you from the bigot are more "tolerant" viewpoints.  Irony.  Enjoy the view from your high horses, it will get lonely up there eventually.
I think a person isn't worthy of redemption until they are willing to start the path for it. We shouldn't just grant someone redemption because they might be willing to change their views at some point.

Oh yea no doubt! Can't just be given a pass. I just meant that if a person sees no way forward, there is no reason to change or even try. He has some pretty crappy views that probably won't change, but could.

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

Too much talk about waman and not about cumming

Also someone redeem me

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

Well, I may be wrong, but I feel like this is going over too many people's heads. People
Assume that the subject matter in this thread is yesterday's shit-storm, and,
While it is at a surface glance, there is certainly more to it. Personally,

I applaud everyone tackling such a critical issue in a intelligent, thought provoking way, and it's certainly good to have
Such a topic in the Wonderdome, it feels out of place that such a topic

Delivered in such a fashion be placed here,
In and amongst the thread meant to compliment users, despite the intended message in this thread. That is all.
Sauce.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

On a more serious note, when it comes to bashing, the person on which it's being done is not an excuse, nor is the environment.

Too many people yesterday lowered themselves to a level in which they can prove themselves to be dicks, just as PK did.

That's the main problem SHL has with drama; it excites people, creates an almost lynch-like mob who all swarm the perpetrator and feel the need to say something, or take a side, rather than take a more analytical stance and providing intelligent points, not letting one's emotions take control.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

We can stand together.

All is not lost.

Love conquers all.

Unity will be our standpoint.

I for one welcome it.

Girls and guys can get along.

If you don't get it by now I don't know what to do for you.

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

When I looked at PenKnight's comments I saw a guy who lacks respect for women and likely has some strange form of bitterness toward them, why else would you make such a blanket statement? I immediately classified him as a guy who has had no success in dating and or relationships and probably doesn't understand why that's the case. He can probably nab a date here and there but never gets that second one, or doesn't understand why girls lack interest in him and the relationships don't work out. To me, he sounds very lonely.

Any person who takes a stance like he did has something going on inside of them that causes them to feel the way that they do. There is something about hearing a woman speak about sports that clearly triggers him and if I were @PenKnight , I'd try to figure that out.

PenKnight, ask youself what is it about them speaking about sports that bothers you? Is it really about sports, or is it an issue you have with women in general? Why do you feel the way that you do? What's the root cause? Analyze yourself, go back as far as you can in your memory to try and understand it.

Sometimes we're unable to see the forest from the trees and only with clarity are we able to look around and understand what's truly happening around us. The problem now is that PenKnight has isolated himself and pushed away a community that he really wants to be a part of, so he has lost in many ways here. But that's what happens when you close yourself off, you miss out on opportunity and lose out on chances for close relationships. I'd put money on the fact that this isn't the first time PenKnight has experienced this sort of backlash in his life, and it's on him to figure it out and be better.

In the end of all of this he's still going to be lonely, only he won't have anyone other than a few friends (if he's lucky) to complain to about it, because everyone will just change the channel the moment he starts to talk. Just like he has to the women he says he can't stand.

One of the most exciting moments in my life was when I listened to a girl describe how Sidney Crosby was the best grinder in the history of the NHL, but for me, there's nothing better than listening to an educated opinion, especially when it has such a nice sound to it. I have all the time in the world for people who are passionate, and so too should PenKnight.

[Image: f7IGJw3.png]
[Image: UFYQyLU.png]