Create Account

S48 PT #5 - SHL Appreciation Week

07-14-2019, 08:19 PMjjlangabeer Wrote: I have met a lot of people through out my time here, some through short stints, others through friendships or short versions of that off the site. I would easily say that my Kelowna and West Kendall Platoon days were the most prosperous in that re-guard. During my years in Kelowna and West Kendall I met a lot of great SHL friends in @Jenny, @ej27, @Zoone16, @Pris, @.bojo and so on. Easily too many to mention. I have talked to them a lot on discord, won a couple championships with I believe all of them and still keep those teams as one of my highest loved destinations. They were the ones to that after a long 3 to 4 year absence that reminded about how much fun this community can be and I enjoyed every second of it. I look forward to getting the chance to play with a lot of them again down the road.

[Image: HIXWkkp.gif]

HE SHOOTS HE SCORES

JOHN LANGABEER NETS IT AND TIES THE GAME!!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AND HE SCORES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! JOHN LANGABEER JUST SCORED THE 2 BIGGEST GOALS OF HIS CAREER IN A MATTER OF 10 SECONDS!!!!!!

WEST KENDALL TAKES THE LEAD!!!!

S41 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7, Game Tying and Game Winning Goals.

by far favourite post on the site is anything post S40 @AssPancakes, the dude was something else lots of the time but it always made for a good TD at least 2-3 times a week. Yes, some people were genuinely pissed off but at the end of the day I think most if not all can look back and see how hilarious some of his contributions were to the site, he was the meme of the league for a long time after he left, and with the whole coming out with his multi player Mr. shit the SHL forum exploded. as we stand today, ass pancakes still sits on a 25 game suspension if he ever choses to come back to the league; however, it is doubtful that happens because he tried to come back once and wasn't even picked up by an SMJHL team so I think his time in the SHL is done

[Image: nasty.png]

One of my favorite times on the site was back during the S39 SMJHL Draft. I was on my player Daddy Mack and I had a lot of interest from a few teams leading up to the draft. Number 1 overall was a lock with Florence Clijsters going to Colorado but I had a lot of talks with Halifax that they wanted to take me either 2nd or 3rd overall as they had both picks. @nour was the GM of Kelowna at the time who had the 4th overall pick and he told me that he would take me as well if he could but there was a pretty good chance I was going to Halifax. Halifax skipped me over and nour was good on his word and drafted me 4th overall. That first rookie season was a lot of fun as nour was clearly one of the best SMJHL GM's this site has ever seen. He is such a loving dude and really stands up for the people he cares for. He had a really active LR in the SMJHL and of course we went on to win 3 straight four star cups. I will always be thankful for you @nour and everything you did for that team and myself. Thank you!

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

Topic 1: I really enjoy the “Top 100 SHL players of All Time” posts. I doubt I'll ever be included in them, as my activity has slowed down considerably over the past few seasons. Eventually I'll recreate and turn into TPE whore like usual, but it might take a month or two to get back into it.

Topic 2: Some of the most enjoyable times of this site were when I was first drafted into the SMJHL. Everything was so new and everyone was so nice, it was a very warm welcome to the community. I also loved getting drafted 4th overall to the North Stars. While I haven't fully panned out, I wasn't a complete bust.

Topic 3: I've really appreciated my time with ML002. He drafted me in the SMJHL, and convinced the Toronto North Stars to draft me that next season. I've tried my best to win Toronto a cup, but we haven't been successful unfortunately. He's put a ton of time into this site and works incredibly hard.

[Image: 400x200.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2019, 11:33 PM by Leoben.)

Topic 1
My most enjoyable moment on the site has to be Season 33 when Montreal won the Four Star Cup after an epic playoff run.  Tim Elliot won playoffs MVP and I think some of those playoff records still stand.  Back then it was @Copenhagen and @Grapehead running the team and they did a hell of a job.  We had some really good players that year and I got to play alongside some good people like @Leppish , @mdubz , @Ghost, @princekyle, and a handful of others I am sure I left out.  It was a heck of an accomplishment and we had a blast that season.

Topic 2
On a more personal note, a few people know about my real life issues and struggles with addiction over the past few years (if you can't tell a bunch of strangers on the internet then who the hell can you tell).  So they've known about my stints off the game where I sometimes had to go dark for a month or so.  I'm coming up on four months clean and sober now which is a miracle.  The last time I went this long without using anything was when I was deployed (it was frowned upon there).  While they are not professionals (don't worry, I sought professional help) it's still good to talk to people and be open about shit.  Whether they realize it or not they probably played a minor part in me getting my life back on track.  So here's to some of the best people I have ever talked to in a game online. @Grapehead @Keygan @King @Jearim @BarnabasCollins @caltroit_red_flames @Mack   If I ever meet any of you in real life, I would say I'd get you a drink, but that might not go too well for me.

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

My most enjoyable moments on this site have been being drafted by @Zoone16 for the Kelowna Knights and make me feel at home. He helped me learn so much about the site and player builds. In my three years as a Kelowna Knight we've almost had the taste of succes with a very active group of players. It just wasn't meant to be to win a Four Star cup. It's very sad to see @Zoone16 step down, because he did an amazing job as a GM.

Another great moment was being drafted in the second round of the SHL by @Steelhead77 for the Calgary Dragons. I could not have wished for a better home than the Dragons discord. The Calgary Dragons is a team that is a perfect fit for me as a person and luckily my player fits in as well. The discord is like family where we all try and help eachother improve our players and the team as a whole.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

Option 3

Honestly, i've met so many awesome people through the SHL it's not even funny. I'll be doing these off the top of my head as I go along:

@DanbyRem, even though you and Justice were cast out from your roles, I know you're a hard working person, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you for the oppertunities you gave me and for helping me find my passion for GMing, even though I have yet to find a position... on the SHL, that is.

@TnlAstatine You are my first friend that I made through the site, and that says a lot. Just keep being you and maybe Luffy won't be a bust, ye?

@JSS @Jepox @Kalakar If I didn't have my own GMing aspirations, I wouldn't want to work for another SHL managment group. Y'all are nothing short of awesome.

@sköldpaddor There's a reason why I call you Team Mom: you're one of the most kind and compassionate people I've met, and it shows in the LR. Can't wait to play with you in the SHL!

@hhh81 Thank you for reaching out to me and fueling my confidence after the last draft. I feel way more confident with GMing because of it.

@"luketd" You're just awesome. Seriously. You're the type of GM that people should look up to.

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

Code:
- Tell us about some of the most enjoyable moments you have had on this site. (*Tag anyone relevant to the topic)

There have been a few really great moments since I was recruited into the SHL.  Getting picked #10 overall by the Scarecrows was such a big moment for me.  I came over from Siberia knowing no one here and somehow ended up getting picked in the first round.  That was a great moment and ever since the Scarecrows have been the absolute best team I could have asked to be a part of, it's a really special group there.  So thank you to @Nictox and @TML99 for drafting me to your franchise.

Another absolutely great moment was going on an absolute tear in the regular season this year with linemate Nicolaj Muller @esilverm.  We are the new top two scorers in a single season in St. Louis history.  We also lead the league in points holding the 1 and 2 spot.  It was a real pleasure to play on your line all season and can't wait to keep tearing it up in the playoffs together.  Muller is an absolute man-rocket.

Also special shoutouts to Toronto for drafting me at 10th OA in the SHL entry draft!  Going 10th overall twice in a row was pretty cool and they've been great over there so far.  @Nobody@ml002

And another special shoutout to the Russian Federation for having me join the team in my rookie year and giving me a chance to have an impact and for being overall great people. @Pris @ztevans

Mika Kandinsky Stars 

[Image: mika_kandinsky.gif]

There are a lot of people on the SHL that I appreciate, but I'd be especially remiss in this day and age to not shout out @ej27, who I've had the most fun with on this site during our Knights glory and beyond; @bilbo, who was an excellent teammate back in the day and will be again on GB; and @slothfacekilla, who I was somehow lucky enough to snag to be the proud parent of the other half of our dumbass couple.

I also hugely appreciate my Armada family. It's been an honour to be their captain and I'm very sad to be leaving next season. They're all a fuckin' riot but I only know half their usernames because they're always changing their discord names, so I'll just say a huge sincere thank you to @"Ascolap" for drafting me and a dubious thanks to @frithjofr for giving Cloutier the ass captain title and leave it at that.

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

Some of the highlights of my time on SHL:

Being drafted to Edmonton with my firts player and meeting some of the greats who really stoked my interest, like @JayWhy @Buster @Tez @Keenan and others

Being the GM of Kelowna in S19 when we had an awesome draft with excellent dudes like @raymond3000 @micool @Narconis @Jedi @WannabeFinn @chocula it was a super fun season

Winning the Cup with Hamilton, my player had a great playoff run including a 4 goal game. We won in 7 games with every one of our wins coming in OT, and every game was PBP'd so it was really cool to follow that season

Being drafted 1st OV by the Renagades with my recreate, then going on to have an exceptional career highlighted by 2 Cup wins and being selected to Hall of Fame

Being the SMJHL Commissioner in S31 with a super awesome group of people and one of the biggest draft classes ever

co-founding Norway and seeing the team grow into an IIHF powerhouse, including winning a gold medal and several other medals

currently playing for SFP and really enjoying the whole team and being part of a rebuild which has been showing to be awesome despite the departure of a couple high-profile players. @Grapehead and @tweedle lead the way in making it a great and inclusive experience for everyone

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

Code:
- Have you met a person or a group in the SHL that you are friendly with? or someone that you appreciate here on the site? give them a shout out and tell us why you appreciate them! (*Tag anyone relevant to the topic)
The S46/47 Anaheim Outlaws group has to be one of the best, most interesting group of people I've met on the site. I had come back to the site for S46 and wasn't really sure what to expect, I signed for Anaheim right away as a free agent after a friend of mine from my first time on the site @JNH played for them. I think it's safe to say now that had it not been for the fantastic group of people in that LR, I don't think I would've lasted very long this time. Guys like @SDCore, @SpartanGibbles, @Segi, @Dangles13, @GCool, @Thunfish, @shutdown and the many more special personalities in that LR made it a place that was fun to be where everyone just kinda meshed together in an amazing way. This is without a doubt the SHL's most unique group and Dangles has done a fantastic job in Anaheim putting together a team that is not only amazing on the ice, but also off it.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

Well, this is a very sweet and very hard question to answer, because there are a lot of names I could tag. I've met a lot of people in 3 years of being on the site. 

To my OG squad from Team Russia: @ztevans and @Slowpoke have been two of my closest, most trusted friends since we all joined the site and the federation together, and their friendship and guidance has been a large part of what has made Russia such a tight-knit, loving locker room for nearly 20 seasons now. You're both assholes, but I love y'all immensely. (And shout out to all the new kids and recreates that have joined the roster in recent seasons, too many of y'all to tag but y'all are fantastic. The Russian locker room is my favorite place to be, and it's in large part because y'all keep it lively.) Russia 

To the boys that took me in as family: @nour, @Sleepy, @Loco, @Gooney, @Waters have been among the few people I've been able to vent all my demons and complaints to, and some of the main people who have kept me sane on this shithole of a site lmao. It's always been nice to have our little family discord, but thanks for getting me drafted to Hamilton too, it's been a lot of fun to finally share a locker room with y'all. 

Shout out to the original family as well, @Jenny, @ej27, @bilbo, @jjaybs and others, thanks for keeping me sane when I was nothing more than a wee bab around these parts.

And of course, s/o to Colorado for my new lease on life with Nastya, @hhh81, @Esso2264, @wumaduce, @nykonax, @39alaska39 and others, thanks for being so patient to me even when I was an ass, lol. Y'all are great. 

Most importantly though, I'd definitely be remiss if I didn't point out the fact that I met my literal IRL boyfriend of half a year on the site, I think that counts as being "friendly"  Tongue  @adamantium you're fucking cute as hell and I love you. Thanks for always putting up with my bullshit. You're the best. Heart

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

Code:
- Have you met a person or a group in the SHL that you are friendly with? or someone that you appreciate here on the site? give them a shout out and tell us why you appreciate them! (*Tag anyone relevant to the topic)

Well this is going to be a long one, so I apologize for anyone who starts reading this.  I've met a lot of great people in the SHL (which is the best part of this place imo) and I'm going to try to hit them all here.... if I left you out please know it is because I am an idiot not because I don't love you.

I guess straight away, even if he's gone again, I have to give a shoutout to@King .  I talked to him the most when I joined the site and I was very happy that he drafted me to the Raiders (even if it put the evil curse on me).  I'm low key mad that he left again, but that's just because I wanted him to hang around more on Discord and whatnot.  I hope his PHD goes well away from the SHL drama.  Speaking of the Raiders, I guess this would be a good time to shout out my fellow Raiders draft class.  @"Flareon4043" was the next Halifax pick and joined me as an assistant captain our first season.  I'm still great friends with Flare and I count him as one of my closest friends on here (even if he's a Ducks fan).  I hoped we would end up on the same SHL team somehow but I knew it would be tough with us both going early (most likely).  The next active pick was @Citizen of Adraa the newest co-gm of the Raiders.  CoA is always around in the locker room, which I appreciate because the guy is hilarious.  He's a giant goon on the ice though so I hope he doesn't kill me in the SHL.  Somehow the Raiders were able to grab @Kalakar next, and we have all seen what a steal he has been.   Not only has he been piling up awards, but he's a fantastic addition to any locker room and is a scouting pro.  Also has good Game of Thrones banter.  Even thought his clown @sharksisback is basically inactive, I have to shout him out too.  Hopefully he comes back to shitpost.

Although these players didn't get drafted to Halifax with me, they made the Raiders locker room very welcoming and the best on the site: @bilbo (even if you hated me because of my name), @TheDangaZone, @BadWolf, @vbottas17, @StamkosFan,  @JR95, @Lazyeye.  Also a big thank you to @Jearim for taking over as GM of Halifax and giving me a chance to be his co-gm even though I was the worst one this site has even seen.

Speaking of Bilbo, a very special shoutout to @ej27 and @Jenny for putting up with Jimmy and his pet Roomba.  Y'all are one of (if not the) my favorite things about the SHL and I'm glad I've gotten to know you.  I feel super lucky!

Random SHL GM shoutouts as well: thanks to @Wasty for being the first GM to show interest in me, but mostly because you've been a great friend to talk to about random shit over discord.  I really enjoyed my pre-SHL draft talks with @Ace (even if I had to be a jerk) and even if I don't talk to him much anymore I still consider him a great guy.  @Tomen is probably one of my favorite people from all the sim leagues I'm in, and he was very nice to talk with in my pre-draft interviews.  One of my SHL man crushes for sure.  @GeckoeyGecko I love you hecko just wanted to add that, keep up your drawing you're getting damn good.  @Steelhead77 it has been great getting to know Esa, he shot me a last minute PM before the draft and I feel like we've gotten to be friends from there.  I wish he would stop his sim voodoo and let Nola win this playoffs though.  Hello to @Grapehead and @tweedledunn I promise I will ensure Bilbo stays a rookie.  And finally of course thanks to @JKortesi81 and TDZ for drafting me to NOLA.

SMJHL GM shoutout to @"luketd" and @Inf1d3l for bringing me to Vancouver last season, it was fun to be a part of that short playoff run and I wish we could have won it all.

And now just random shout outs because I want to avoid work more...

@TnlAstatine you're a bust bro <3
@hhh81 keep flying that Red Rising flag
@ztevans I've really enjoyed you in the Halifax LR
@Pris definitely helped me not lose my mind trying to figure out the league when I joined (and thank you for hiring me)
@goldenglutes I'm glad we get to share the UK discord together
@Blastmeaway Thank you for hiring me and for being a cool dude on discord
@Nobody thank you for hiring me

Please neg rep me if I forgot you

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Code:

@notorioustig is a person I really appreciate on this site. He was the real OG in drafting me to Detroit when I first stumbled on to this site. He was always quick to appreciate my banter in the discord and was really cool with me going up to the SHL when @Ace scooped me up and wanted me to play in the big leagues as a natural rookie. With my short stint here I must say that both of my GMs have been top notch and really made wasting time on this site more enjoyable than I thought it ever would be. Another cool person that I always have a great time is @hotdog because he is always active on the discord but more importantly, he loves the shit out of my PB media posts and that is what matters most. Also, his name is literally hotdog and PB is the king of kielbasa so it is only natural that we would be best of friends. Finally, @Wibbly McButternutz was a good buddy of mine in the early days of SHL but it seems he may not be as active anymore, but he was the one who showed me the way of blocking shots with my monster dong and that is a skill that can never be self-taught. So ya thank you for that wibbz.

[Image: PvZbGlD.png]
[Image: FszcRvP.png]
Thanks @"AndrewWarren13" for the sig

When I was first on the site I didn’t spend much time on the site, and even less time on Discord. When I was traded from Winnipeg to Texas I felt kind of discarded. Thankfully @Allen reached out to me immediately and introduced himself and that LR pretty much became home from that day forth. There has been some changing in leadership along the way. @Phobospwns and @Dangles13, @CampinKiller, @Durden and yes, even @JumpierPancakes have all made that LR an enjoyable place over the years. Then there is @dankoa who I cannot speak highly enough about. It is weird how people who you have never met, and may even live across the world, can make you excited to be in a little chat group talking about random shit. From helping people do homework, dating advice, resume building tips, you name it and we have been there. Even now, when it feels like everyone is kind of going in different directions, its still a great group. Thanks everyone, but don’t forget to go fuck yourselves.

[Image: horvat3.png]