Create Account

Tampa's Twins

[Image: Dynamic_Duo3.png]
TAMPA'S TWINS

Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
Written By: Carson Shmyr

@Jepox
And with that sound of that final buzzer, the miracle run that saw the Tampa Bay Barracuda finish first in the league to secure the President's Cup was over. The Buffalo Stampede had upended the team full of young superstars after falling down 3-1 in the series, and had given them a taste of their own miracle medicine to pull off three decisive victories in a row. As could be expected, the mood was less than spectacular in the Barracuda locker room following their game seven loss at the hands of the Stampede. Jerseys set along the benches, equipment was lazily set on top bags, and some players still sat in full gear wondering what could have been. That was no different for youngsters Nickolas Klaus and Nolan Sawchuk. It was both players first appearance in the playoffs since entering full time roles in the SHL, although Klaus had seen some time down with the Chiefs during their own back to back miracle runs in S45 and S46 which pushed them all the way to the conference finals. It was an enormous moment for two of the most exhilarating prospects in the game, and after a huge regular season in terms of production the two players seemed completely prepared for a deep playoff push.

And then, something changed. The chemistry was gone, the dedication and perseverance that had been so integral the entire season vanished in an instant and the Barracuda were thrust into the off season after a very short seven game series. You could have heard a pin drop in the tunnel below the stadium, no one moved an inch. Klaus sat still on the bench of the rink, waiting for the Zamboni to finish clearing the ice before he'd step back on for another hour or two of practice. Sawchuk sat in his street clothes in a seat near the glass, headphones on and a dejected look plastered across his face. This is where dreams went to die, ice level at the home rink of a team who just lost a playoff series.

"Hey Nicky!" Sawchuk can be heard shouting over the glass. "Come check out this meme man. Everyone's apparently taking over Area 51. It's a Facebook group and everything."

A slight smile plays across Klaus' lips, but he puts up a dismissive hands and waves off his team mate. Sawchuk will have enough time to bug him, the two are going out for drinks after the game. It's only days after Nickolas' twenty first birthday, and they plan to celebrate in style. Alcohol tends to be a good way to get over heartbreak. The Zamboni exits the ice and Klaus prepares to step on before he hears a voice from inside the tunnel. It's coach J. 

"Come on now Nick. Get off the fucking ice for once."

Coach's rugged hands grab the back of Nick's jersey and pull him back fully into the bench. Sawchuk sits in the stands with a grin on his face as he watches his team mate get dragged around like a rag doll by their sixty year old coach.

"Give him a good beating J." Nolan encourages from the sidelines.

"It's over Nick, we have plenty of years ahead of us. Go relax and enjoy your night. We don't need you out here on the ice right now."

Klaus opens his mouth before being cut. 

"I don't want to hear a word. The rink is closed, go."

"This means pizza time, hey?" Sawchuk adds from the seats. He get to his feet and makes a move for the guardrail, jumping over onto the floor. He pats Klaus on the shoulder. "See you inside buddy."

As Sawchuk walks down the tunnel, Coach J looks up Klaus up and down with a defeated grimace on his face.

"I'm sorry Nick. I know this isn't how you expected this all to end. Especially not after a year like this, but we didn't even expect to make the playoffs in the first place let alone win the President's Cup. That's a success in my books."

"Yeah I guess it should be for me too." Klaus replies. "But I can't help myself from feeling like it's not enough. It's in our blood as humans to always strive for more, and this year wasn't enough."

"You have next year, and many more if you decide to resign here. We'd love to have you."

"I've thought about going home." Klaus says, before pausing. "And staying, in Norway. Finish off my contract and move back to where I belong. North America just doesn't feel right for me anymore."

"Come on now Nick. We're just getting started here, you're so young. I've seen guys like you make the mistake you just mentioned, and that's all it ever is. A mistake."

"Yeah I don't know. Maybe it was just this being my first year without Sanyi. It was hard enough playing without Nolan, but it's even harder losing your captain. It's really been difficult to deal with."

"I know, I know. We'll deal with it. Get yourself inside."

-- 20 Minutes Later --

"Jesus, took you long enough." Sawchuk darts out from his position propped up against a neighboring dressing room door and grabs onto Klaus' shoulder. "Let's go get some drinks and pizza in you."

Sawchuk grabs Klaus' stick from out of his hand and starts trailing behind him, whacking the bottom of his bag as he goes.

"Next year is going to be our year. If we surprised people this season, they're going to have no idea what him this year. I tell ya, once I get my hands on those damn Stampede players, god. Did you see how much they were slashing me in that third period. No wonder I was shut down, they were basically breaking my wrists!"

Klaus smirks but doesn't entertain Sawchuk's monologue. Nolan catches his eye and grabs his arm.

"Hey, you good man? It's not that big of a deal, you know? We're going to have much worse losses and much bigger wins. This is just one of those valleys."

"Yeah I know, don't worry." Klaus replies. "I just have a lot on my mind."

"Like what?"

"Moving back to Norway."

"For good?"

"Yeah, for good."

They continue walking as Sawchuk pushes open the entrance to Gate B. He breaks the silence when they near the top of the ramp.

"Well man, whatever makes you happy. After next year, if you want to be in Norway with your family, power to you. But remember, those decisions can be permanent. Not everyone can be like Jaromir Jagr and make a grand return."

"I know, I wouldn't come back. I'd play back home, keep myself sharp for fun. Get paid a bit on the side, but I have enough to comfortably float my family through the rest of my life. With a newborn baby, there's a lot that I have to think about. He's going to need his dad in his life, and I can't do that if I'm never around. There's just bigger commitments coming up."

"Hey I understand, but that's what we signed up for. Big commitments. Money talks."

"Yeah, and so we come back to this. It's all just about money. They could take any guy and slap his name over top of mine on the jersey in this bag and it wouldn't make any difference. We're all just a number and a name on a page."

"Think about guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe. They weren't just numbers, they were record holders. You are too."

"Yeah, in major junior. It hardly counts for anything."

"But still. You've got the beginning of something amazing, you've represented your country better than anyone could have asked for. Don't throw that away on a whim. Stay here in Tampa and I promise things will work out. This is what's right for you."

Klaus pauses.

"I'm not deciding now, I certainly have to think about it though."

Sawchuk shakes his head and hops into the car, shutting the door. He unrolls his window.

"Fair enough. Meet me at Louis' in fifteen?"

"Thirty, I've got to grab diapers first. We're totally out."

Sawchuk grimaces. 

"God babies are gross. Although I definitely wish I could still shit my pants and have it not be weird."

Klaus laughs, and Sawchuk waves as he pulls away into the street. Klaus still has the smile plastered across his lips as he gets back into his car. His keys turn, and he leaves the rink, mind racing with the thoughts on where life will lead him next.

[Image: Klaus2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2019, 04:17 PM by trella.)

didnt read this but that graphic is pretty cool, nice work

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

07-19-2019, 04:17 PMcpetrella Wrote: didnt read this but that graphic is pretty cool, nice work

thanks

[Image: Jepox.gif]

Tagging your multi. Bold move @Noble.

All jokes aside, glad you're active and that shit is finally in the past!

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

07-19-2019, 06:54 PMwumaduce Wrote: Tagging your multi. Bold move @Noble.

All jokes aside, glad you're active and that shit is finally in the past!

shiiiit u got me wuma <3

[Image: Klaus2.jpg]