Create Account

S49 Top-100 SHL Players

07-26-2019, 10:26 AMArGarBarGar Wrote:
07-26-2019, 10:25 AMWhikadoodle Wrote: I love Argar, and I love that he does this, but I think the formula he uses to determine these puts WAY too much emphasis on prior years stats.

But my last player never made this list, so my opinion is bad and I should feel bad.

The last two seasons I haven't used an algorithm, it's all been voters.

so its a popularity contest? fun stuff

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

07-26-2019, 03:33 PMTnlAstatine Wrote:
07-26-2019, 10:26 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: The last two seasons I haven't used an algorithm, it's all been voters.

so its a popularity contest? fun stuff

I mean if you want to treat it like that then most things on this site are "popularity contests".

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

07-26-2019, 04:07 PMArGarBarGar Wrote:
07-26-2019, 03:33 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: so its a popularity contest? fun stuff

I mean if you want to treat it like that then most things on this site are "popularity contests".

shouldn't the "top" 100 players be arbitrary and not a popularity contest?

Wow I didn’t even make it Undecided

Akashi SixNine Jr. Updates

07-26-2019, 04:09 PMTnlAstatine Wrote:
07-26-2019, 04:07 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: I mean if you want to treat it like that then most things on this site are "popularity contests".

shouldn't the "top" 100 players be arbitrary and not a popularity contest?

1. I am not sure you are using arbitrary correctly (based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system according to webster).
2. Having a group of people voting on ratings for each individual player does not in and of itself constitute a popularity contest. It can be if the voters have biases towards players they recognize or like, but I don't believe that has ever really been the case from my history doing this (since S23).

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

07-26-2019, 04:15 PMArGarBarGar Wrote:
07-26-2019, 04:09 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: shouldn't the "top" 100 players be arbitrary and not a popularity contest?

1. I am not sure you are using arbitrary correctly (based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system according to webster).
2. Having a group of people voting on ratings for each individual player does not in and of itself constitute a popularity contest. It can be if the voters have biases towards players they recognize or like, but I don't believe that has ever really been the case from my history doing this (since S23).

1.oh ya woops that's my sick brain talking
2. fair enough

07-26-2019, 04:15 PMArGarBarGar Wrote:
07-26-2019, 04:09 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: shouldn't the "top" 100 players be arbitrary and not a popularity contest?

We all certainly have biases, but I think the group we have now is all capable and willing to recognize their biases and work to mitigate the impact as much as possible. We're all human, it can be hard to work with your biases and avoid over-correcting as well, so I think it's just critical for people to continue pointing out our errors as we develop our system. I know that I tried to refine my evaluations using info I got from my first time last offseason, and the comments in this thread will be in mind when I take on this task next offseason.

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia