Create Account

Draft Discussion: The S49ers
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2019, 01:26 AM by Toivo.)

Code:
S49 Draft Bonus....Ready for grading....Word Count: 6000+ and 5 photos

Season 49 Draft Discussion
Skipp Santos - Anchorage Sports

LOS ANGELES-- The Season 49 SHL entry draft is in the books now. The draft started out as expected by hockey media with Elijah Jones selected with the first pick by the Los Angeles Panthers. Then the Texas Renegades selected Noah Brusky at second overall. Bo Kane was then taken third overall by the San Francisco Pride. These picks were known well before the draft began and surprised no one. More coverage on these three picks follows towards the end of the article.

The first surprise on Wednesday night came from the Blizzard when they selected FR Finn-Rhys with the 4th overall selection. Rhys was not at the top of draft boards in terms of development, but impressed a lot of people around the league with his work ethic. Some hockey  media analysts were quick to call the selection a reach. Edmonton Blizzard GM reacted to one article stating, “I'm 100% fine with people calling players a reach, I've been really impressed with what Khabib and Rhys have brought to the table, I'll let their earning be the ultimate defense though.” The other player referenced by Blizzard’s General Manager, Khabib Nurmagomedov, was selected 7th overall. The player responded publicly to the criticism, “The critics will all be silenced in due time.” Khabib and Rhys seem as determined as ever, and hearing the word reach thrown at them seems to have motivated them. The critics may very well end up eating their own words because the players are motivated by them.

With the 5th selection, the Texas Renegades selected Ricky Spanish. A lot of folks saw this pick coming before hand. Spanish has been very active during the regular season, regularly updating the league with articles from his personal blog. This pick was an easy choice for the Renegades since they add one of the top wingers of the draft to their prospect pool. Next up, the West Kendall Platoon drafted Cody. The American right winger is an offensive forward that specializes in scoring, skating and puck handling. Scouts are concerned with his checking ability, but the winger and The Platoon are fine with it in today’s game. At 6th overall, West Kendall is hoping that Cody turns into an all elite kind of player.

Toronto then made their first of three first round selections with center Jan Zacha. Zacha is drafted out of the ‘Couve, where he scored 5 goals and 5 assists in 50 games during Season 48. Zacha was a solid choice here and the North Stars will be happy with their center going forward. Skipping ahead a few picks, at 13th overall, Toronto drafted defenseman Derek Bohne Jr. out of Colorado. The Raptor had 12 points in his season 48 campaign (2 goals and 10 assists).This looks like an excellent pick at 13. Then Toronto surprised some around the league with the following pick, at 14th overall, Toronto selected goaltender Knox Booth. Toronto’s General Manager was immediately questioned since the franchise already has a young talented netminder in Harry Carpet. Toronto’s General Manager simply responded, “Value”. Then he further revealed that a team was already on the phone about a possible trade. The next day Knox Booth was traded to the Panthers for a Season 50 Manhattan Rage 2nd round pick. It’s noted that Season 50 draft is expected to be one of the deepest in recent history. Therefore, switching a late first rounder in a draft that has been described as top-heavy for a second rounder in a deep draft is nifty asset management from the Toronto management.

Moving backwards on the timeline to the 9th selection, the Calgary Dragons selected Prince Devitt. Devitt is a defensive defenseman and does side work as an independent contractor. Devitt is a product of the Kelowna Knights where he put up 2 goals and 5 assists (9 points) in 50 games. With continued development, his Average Minutes Per Game should shoot up from 13:45 to around 20-plus minutes per game. Prince Devitt went 5th overall to Kelowna in the Season 48 SMJHL draft. The Kelowna Knights had a difficult season and that did not do Devitt any favors. With Devitt coming into Season 49 stronger than before, the Knights might be on the upswing. If Devitt keeps up the great training, the Dragons will have a gem in their pool. Calgary did well here.

Up next, Hamilton decided to bolster their forwards pool with center Skao Anazibf. A great pick at 10, Skao managed 7 goals and 5 assists (13 points) with the Detroit Falcons. Skao Anazibf was drafted to Detroit in the Season 48 SMJHL draft at 17th overall. Like the other Season 48 draftees, Anazibf was a big reason the Detroit Falcons had a strong performance. With continued development out of Skao Anazibf, the Falcons and Hamilton Steelhawks are going to be very happy teams. Hamilton gets good value towards the later end of the first round.

With the 11th selection, San Fricsco makes their second pick of the night and they go with defense this time, selecting Mikas Bieksa. Bieska is a solid prospect with a good work ethic. He’s not wasting time as he’s already shown up for training camp and has started working on his skating, passing and scoring ability. His defensive game is already sound and he looks like one of the best defensemen in the upcoming Season 49 of the SMJHL. Not everyone was a fan of San Francisco selecting Bieksa at 11th overall, and Bieksa is well aware, having responded to one critical article with a simple, “Ok.” Once again, the public criticisms are likely fuel for these competitive athletes. Look for big things out of Mr. 11.

Up next came my favorite selection of the night.Tampa Bay’s Co-General Manager Cameron Dubois took to the stage and announced, “With the 12th overall pick the Tampa Bay Barracuda are proud to select Anthony Archer!” The Barracudas add the top earner at draft week with the 12th pick in a “shallow” draft. This is an incredible value and comes about because of questions regarding Archer’s means to afford training. Archer reassured Tampa Bay the very next day by landing a gig to host the SMJHL draft after the SMJHL had nobody to host.

Now going to the 15th selection of the evening, the Jets of Winnipeg select Whaler Artem Mozgov. This left winger is a power forward hailing from Russia. He has excellent scoring, skating and strength. Scouts have identified passing as the weakness in his game. In 50 games this season, he managed 1 lone goal and did not see a lot of minutes. With continued development that we expect to see, Mozgov’s numbers are sure to rise this upcoming season and going forward.

To close out the first round, Edmonton Blizzard draft Noah Andros. A solid defender that has offensive ability, Blizzard increase their depth at the blueline with this selection. Andros  managed 1 goal and 8 assists (9 points) with the Detroit Falcons while playing 20.66 minutes per game. Noah Andros isn't the biggest defenseman, standing 5'10" and 180 lbs, but he makes up for it with his excellent play. Andros initially went first overall in the SMJHL Season 48 draft to the Detroit Falcons. Andros played an important factor in leading the Detroit Falcons to 3rd overall in the SMJHL standings with 62 points (29-17-4). Edmonton makes a solid choice to finish up the first round.

The second round started with New England Wolfpack picking up Jakub Bruchevski. New England found value in the second round as their new center prospect put up 6 goals and 3 assists (9 points) in 41 games played. The team’s general manager stated, “The Wolfpack were high on the hulking youngster based on their meeting and interview during the SHL Draft Combine.”

Next up at 18th overall, Los Angeles selected goaltender Nolan McMahon. McMahon’s reaction to being drafted by Los Angeles was positive, stating, “Wooo! Stoked to be in the Panthers organization again!” McMahon did not play much in the regular season for Lethbridge, but posted a 4-2 record in 8 games and a 0.893 save percentage and a 3.05 goals against average. The save percentage was actually best of the Lions’ goalies and the goals against average was the same. Now, with the Knox Booth trade, the Panthers have two young goalies that can push each other. Exciting times in the Los Angeles Panthers goalie pool. Nolan McMahon moved his draft position up greatly from the Season 48 SMJHL draft. The goalie went 36th overall to the Lethbridge Lions.

Buffalo then selected Denver Wolfe with the 19th pick. Wolfe is a defenseman that played 44 games for Colorado and put up 2 goals and 10 assists (12 points) while playing 15.80 minutes per game. Wolfe is a generous teammate, having inked a league  minimum contract already and stating, “easy accept, easy accept, I dont need the money, give it to someone who does, just happy to be part of the squad Smile.” These kinds of players are the ones General Managers dream of.

Chicago was on the clock with the 20th overall selection and those chose Anaheim Outlaw Leonid Kofix. The two-way forward impressed scouts with his scoring, defense and skating. Scouts however were concerned with checking, labeling it as his one true weakness. Still, Kofix managed 18 hits in his 50 game campaign with the Anaheim Outlaws. Additionally, he put up 3 goals and 4 assists (7 points).

Coming in at 21st overall, the Texas Renegades make a heck of a pick stealing up Jake Primeau. The product of the Anchorage Armada, Jake Primeau is somewhat quiet but has a promising career ahead of him. Jake Primeau is an awesome teammate first and foremost, and then we can have a discussion about his game. 7 goals and 5 assists (12 points) from the third line of the Armada. Texas is going to love this pick down the road even more than they already do.

Next up, it’s back to New England, making their second pick they drafted Delver Fudgeson. If Fudgeson’s season 48 numbers are anything to go by, the Wolfpack got an absolute steal at 22 overall. The defenseman put up 8 goals and 18 assists (26 points) for the Lethbridge Lions. New England General Manager Erik Chisling said, “The jury is still out if Fudgeson has the endurance to reach his potential at the SHL level, but he has as good of a shot as the other guys that went ahead of him.” Fudgeson was selected 13th overall by the Lethbridge Lions, a pick they picked up via trade that originally belonged to Detroit. Either way, the Wolfpack get a bargain this late in the draft.

At pick 23, Edmonton Blizzard drafted Jean-Paul Boivin. The forward played 17 games with the Vancouver Whalers in Season 48. Following the draft, Boivin released a diary where he stated, “Alberta SUCKS.” Jean-Paul Boivin acknowledges that he was surprised with Edmonton selecting him since they were not in communication prior to the draft. That said, Boivin is training hard and has improved his face-offs, eyeing a second line center spot. Boivin has been very active in the hockey media and could very well transition into a top player coming out of the S49 draft class. Perhaps the most interesting quote from Boivin is, “Protip don't be full of shit and eat poutine.”

The Wolfpack returned to the draft stage and picked with the 24th selection forward Jukka Jokinen. The power forward fits into the mold that drives the Wolfpack. General Manager Erik Chisling described the future of Jokinen as, “Time will tell what sort of player Jokinen will turn into, but the potential is there.” The forward played 50 games for Anaheim and scored 4 goals and 8 assists (12 points). Jukka Jokinen went 26th overall to the Anaheim Outlaws. If training goes as planned, the Outlaws will have a good shot at remaining one of the better teams of the SMJHL. Getting experience like going deep to the SMJHL finals will help out with Jokinen's development.

The Hamilton Steelhawks picked up a couple players in the draft. With the 26th pick, Hamilton selected Jagger Fouquette. Fouquette played for the Falcons where he put up great numbers, 16 goals and 16 assists (32 points). Additionally, they picked up Hugh Jazz a forward from the Montreal Militia. Jazz performed well in Season 48, putting up 18 goals and 20 assists (38 points).

San Francisco Pride selected Heat Siecker with the 27th pick. The defenseman is a product of the Colorado Raptors where he put up 2 goals and 13 assists (15 points) in Season 48.  These numbers are strong, especially coming from a late second rounder. Siecker is a two-way defenseman that has great passing and skating to complement his defensive abilities. San Francisco might have been lucky with this selection, in an interview a long time ago before the SMJHL draft, Siecker stated, “Whoever drafts me will get a hell of a player and I just want to join a team that I will be able to contribute to and bring some Cups back to the fans and my future organization.” The defenseman sounds determined and will likely be a contributor in the future.

With the 30th selection, Toronto North Stars draft Jared Lammi. This forward played in 43 games for the Vancouver Whalers. Lammi did not see much ice time, only 3.79 minutes per game. The young prospect headed out to celebrate, he was quoted saying “I went to Jersey City and saw an authentic Toronto North Stars jersey with my name on it.” Despite being drafted 30th overall, Lammi actually moved up draft positions from the SMJHL Season 48 draft where he was selected in the 4th round at 38th overall by the Vancouver Whalers.

The Jets took to the podium to announce the selection of huge 6’11” right winger, Herry Morris IV. Morris IV must have gone undrafted the past couple seasons because he’s originally a Season 47er. In 50 games, Morris IV put up 16 goals and 15 assists (31 points) for the Montreal Militia. Morris IV plays the body and had 93 hits last season.

The Edmonton Blizzard then drafted Conor Tanner with the 32nd draft pick. He is one heck of a player to draft at the end of the second round. Conor Tanner is a center that put up 5 goals and 19 assists (24 points) for Montreal in Season 48. Conor Tanner is a good prospect that is likely a key piece in the Blizzard’s future. You can likely expect great things out of this player despite being there at the end of the second round.

The next selection came from Texas with the 35th pick. The Renegades drafted defenseman Cal Clucker. Clucker is a product of the Lethbridge Lions and in Season 48 he dressed for 34 games, putting up 1 goal and 8 assists (9 points) while logging 19.10 minutes per game. Clucker is sort of a quiet individual, but could turn into a serviceable defenseman if development goes accordingly.

Next, the Chicago Syndicate used the 36th pick to draft Nicklaus Engel. The German forward put up excellent numbers in his rookie season with 7 goals and 20 assists (27 points) for the Kelowna Knights. He reacted very positively to Chicago drafting him, exclaiming “WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!” It appears that even late in the draft, teams found eager players champing at the bit to prove their potential. Chicago made a smart move picking up the German winger.

The Texas Renegades draft another defenseman with the 37th selection, picking up Gavin Hughes. The 5’10” American defenseman played for the Montreal Militia in Season 48. He had 1 goal and 16 assists (17 points) highlighting his offensive abilities. Hughes played an average of 19 minutes per game. Gavin Hughes was a 3rd round draft pick in the Season 48 SMJHL draft. #6 for the Militia had a great hit to hit taken ratio at 61:16. This American defense man really packs a punch and will be a difficult foe in the upcoming season. Good pick by Texas here that could work out well.

The final selection in the draft came from the New Orleans Specters, forward Raquel Castillo Gutierrez was picked 44th overall. The sniper from Costa Rica has developed well and put up 10 goals and 6 assists (16 points) for Kelowna in Season 48. The Specters are likely to make out like bandits with this selection in the late third round. “Rocky” is likely going to have a lengthy career and contribute more than several of the players drafted ahead of her. A media piece detailing the selection described her as, “Primed and ready to be the next Cinderella.”

Some Draft Profiles
Elijah Jones
[Image: 8474056.jpg]

Los Angeles Panthers General Manager: “With the 1st overall pick, the Los Angeles Panthers are ECSTATIC to select, ELIJAH JONES.”

Officially Elijah Jones II, the young forward was born in Mexico. His father, the senior Elijah Jones, played professional hockey in Toronto and Buffalo. The senior Elijah Jones was an offensive dynamo who set many records in his day. Elijah Jones II picked up his father's game and tries to emulate his leadership capabilities. Elijah Jones trained with the United States Development program. His excellent developmental coaching prepared him to make an early debut in the SMJHL. He signed midway through season 47 with Anchorage Armada. The team did not go far in the playoffs and Elijah Jones found himself back in the draft pool ahead of the entry draft. He was selected 6th overall in the Season 48 SMJHL by the Anchorage Armada. Elijah Jones enters the SMJHL as one of the top players for Season 49. He's capped out of training and will demonstrate why he was coveted by both Anchorage and Los Angeles. Season 49 ought to be a coming out party for the young forward, expect an increase in his numbers. With the pressure on him, Elijah Jones must either do or die.

Skipp Santos: How exciting is being drafted to Los Angeles?

Elijah Jones: It's challenging to describe how proud of myself I am. When you have a parent that is a star, it can be tough to do as well or better than them. My father taught me a lot about how to carry myself. I never let the attention get inside my head. I've continued to train as hard as ever. Los Angeles is an exciting city, all the stars around. I'm ready to show that city exactly what I am capable of. There have been several greats in Los Angeles that I looked up to. Matthew Auston and Sophia Bennett were my favorite players growing up. It's awesome to don the same crest they wore.

Skipp Santos: They say a certain level of pressure comes with being a top draft selection, how are you dealing with that?

Elijah Jones: I'm a normal guy, so I experience stress like anyone else. I deal with stress by working out. I can maintain good fitness and deal with my stress. I don't take vacations from training so I'm always ready to go at camp. Until I can't physically make it to the gym, I'll be training and developing. There's pressure, people will take shots when you slip up, but I just take it one day at a time, all you can do.

Skipp Santos: What expectations do you have for Anchorage in Season 49 of the SMJHL?

Elijah Jones: I want the four star cup. I want the championship, so... so badly. This team is incredible. I have one season left with the Anchorage crew and I want to win it with them more than anything. The locker room is like a brotherhood. If we can come together and win this cup then I'll leave the SMJHL totally satisfied. To be honest, Skipp, I think the Armada has a great chance at winning the championship. Our defense is loaded, our forwards stacked, and our goalies ready. We're going to hang with the best. When playoffs start anything can happen. I can't guarantee a championship for the Anchorage faithful, but I can promise we're going to do everything in our power to win. We are all really motivated, and I mean every team is going to say that, but Skipp, I can promise you that this team is hungry. There is something special here. And then with the Season 49 SMJHL draft that just happened, the team is locked and loaded. This is a perfect time for the Armada. The management really did their homework and managed to build a team that is fun and dangerous.

Skipp Santos: You have been under the microscope lately. I haven't seen much of your personal life, what do you enjoy doing?

Elijah Jones: I'm a big outdoors man. I love being out of the house and visiting places I haven't been before. Nothing is better than a nice museum and a day trip. I love going on walks, I try to everyday, either short or far, it just helps with staying peaceful, calm, or like winding down at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, I totally like staying up late and playing video games, but as I'm getting older, I can only do that so often. I have fun watching other sports too, I'm a pick fan of basketball, whether it's college or professional.

Skipp Santos then sat down with Patrick O'Connor, the Co-General Manager of Los Angeles.

Skipp Santos: Why was Elijah Jones the pick for Los Angeles?

Patrick O'Connor: We had lots of experience with his agent who represented Toivo Kosonen, someone we loved during his time here. After having great talks with Elijah Jones, and taking into consideration his obvious elite skillset, the pick was a no brainer. We love the person Elijah Jones and are very excited about what the player can bring to our lineup. Scoring was a weakness for the Panthers that we wanted to address, so the top prospect in the draft being a sniper worked out very well for us. As the season progressed, there was never any doubt about who our number one target was.

Skipp Santos:Expectations for Elijah Jones in the SHL?

Patrick O'Connor: I think Elijah has the ceiling of a top 10 player in the league for sure. We see him slotting in as soon as next season. He'll be young, but after talking with him, he's already eager to come up. If we had a slot for him in our top-nine this season, he would probably be up for Season 49. However, that's not the case and instead of battling for the third line spot this season, he'll just easily take it next off-season. Additionally, the Panthers are planning a major advertising campaign for the 50th season of the SHL, and having Jones included in that is very exciting. Very exciting indeed, big things are coming out of Los Angeles, stay tuned.

Noah Brusky
[Image: 8457063.jpg]

Sven Karlsson, General Manager of the Texas Renegades, announced “With the 2nd overall pick, the Texas Renegades proudly select, from the St Louis Scarecrows DEFENSEMAN - NOAH BRUSKY.”

Initially, the Texas Renegades had the third overall pick but traded up to second overall to secure Noah Brusky. The American defender recorded 4 goals and 15 assists for the St. Louis Scarecrows in Season 48. Brusky was pumped about being selected by the Renegades, he was seen in the backstage of the arena jamming to “Renegade” by Styx. Noah Brusky moved up in draft positions compared to the SMJHL draft in season 48 where he was selected 8th overall by St. Louis Scarecrows. Obviously, St. Louis got a steal in terms of value at the end of the first round. #24 for the St. Louis Scarecrows played a big factor in the Scarecrows road to leading the SMJHL in points with 69 points (33-14-3).  Brusky is a brave player, not afraid to jump in front of an oncoming shot, he blocked 51 of those in season 48.

Skipp Santos: How it felt when Texas called your name?

Noah Brusky: There had been some rumblings throughout the days leading up to the draft that Texas had some strong interest in taking me, so I wasn’t all that surprised to hear them call my name on draft day. That being said, it was still a surreal feeling to hear my name called on the big stage like that. I’m looking forward to stuffing myself with Texas BBQ season after season.

Skipp Santos: Thoughts on being a top draft selection?

Noah Brusky: Oh it’s simply incredible. Coming into the J draft last year as a complete unknown, the Crows took a complete gamble on me even taking me late in the first round. Fast forward a year and now I’m going as a consensus #2 overall in the SHL draft. This is the kind of thing that you dream about as a kid.

Skipp Santos: What can the SHL expect from you?

Noah Brusky: Well, I think it’ll be a season or two before I make my way into the big leagues, but I’ll be busting my tail off in the J to ensure that I can make a smooth transition into the SHL. Just making it to the SHL won’t be enough for me though. I expect to be one of the best defenders in the league, and nothing is going to stop me from achieving that goal.

Bo Kane
[Image: 8477939.jpg]

San Francisco Pride Co-General Manager Geonimo Otto: “SFP Proudly Select 3rd Overall Center - Bo Kane.”

The third selection in the draft, and San Francisco’s new prospect, Bo Kane is talented center. Breaking away from tradition, this center is a shoot first kind of guy. In 50 games for the Colorado Raptors, Bo Kane managed 11 goals and 7 assists (18 points). His 7 assists show that he is not selfish and when there’s an opportunity for a good pass he takes it. Still, his 11 goals are just the begining. His shooting percentage was 16.67% and he played 15.79 minutes per game. Kane is likely going to see an increase in ice team and if he maintains that shooting percentage he could lead the Raptors in goals. Bo Kane has the potential to be the best player out of this draft class. He could have easily gone 1st or 2nd overall. San Francisco will enjoy the benefits of a sniper center for a long time. Bo Kane make a big jump from his SMJHL draft where he was selected 12th overall by the Colorado Raptors. The Raptors made out like bandits getting a player of Bo Kane's caliber in the 2nd.

Skipp Santos: How it felt to be a top draft selection?

Bo Kane:It was nice to see the work and effort I out in through the season paying off. I was a 2nd round pick in the SMJHL draft and worked my way up to 3rd OA. Expectations are high on me now and I’m looking forward to meeting and potentially exceeding them.

Skipp Santos: How it felt when San Francisco called your name?

Bo Kane:I was very happy SFP drafted me. It was the team I was in contact with the most so I had begun to build those relationships already.

Skipp Santos: What the SHL can expect out of Bo Kane?

Bo Kane: The SHL should expect another elite goal scorer to be entering the league who’s dedicated and will be one of the highest TPE earners in the S49 draft class.

Anthony Archer
[Image: 8479974.jpg]
Co-General Manager of Tampa Bay, Cameron Dubois:”With the 12th overall pick the Tampa Bay Barracuda are proud to select Anthony Archer!”

Anthony Archer had the Tampa Bay GM’s dashing to the stage to call his name when they realized he was still there at 12. Archer will likely cause the 11 teams ahead of him to regret passing over him. His development continues to be at the top of the draft class. Season 49 of the SMJHL will be a big coming out party for the forward. Anthony Archer initially went 10th overall in the Season 48 SMJHL draft to the Anaheim Outlaws. Outlaws got a steal with that pick just like the Tampa Bay Barracuda. Archer is 6’2” and 182 pounds. The Canadian winger is a power forward with strong checking, skating and scoring. His passing isn’t the best, but scouts that have really followed his game aren’t concerned about it. #42 of the Anaheim Outlaws managed 2 goals in game 7 of the SMJHL finals against the Vancouver Whalers, but was unable to carry the team on his back to victory.  Archer has kept up his training regimen and will enter the SMJHL in season 49 as one of the best players. Anaheim will lean on him heavily as they did in the playoffs to get the team’s scoring going. With Archer’s great development, he isn’t too far off from entering the SHL and when he does he will likely compete for Rookie of the Year.

Skipp Santos: How it felt when Tampa Bay called your name?

Anthony Archer:It didn't really feel anything honestly because I didn't know much about the team besides they have nice colors and a cool logo. But once I joined the locker room and they started greeting me and talking to me and talked about how they're excited to have a power forward I was thrilled.

Skipp Santos: Thoughts on being a  being drafted 12th overall?

Anthony Archer: I didn't care where I get picked at all or who picks me but I guess when you're ranked as the top prospect and then you keep getting skipped over and it's about to switch to round two while supposedly being the top prospect it's a little upsetting if you go to the second round and then you're more or less every team's second choice. But as I said I really don't care about draft position, it's still going in my signature even if I got drafted 5th round. People have said I turned out to be a steal in the SMJHL after getting picked 10th, so maybe that'll happen here again with 11 teams passing on me.

Anthony Archer: I think when I'm playing top minutes other teams are going to be up against someone who's always a scoring threat on the ice, and they're going to see a lot less possession as there's also a physical threat on the ice who's constantly knocking them off the puck. While hopefully not also being a liability in penalty minutes. However in juniors everyone on the roster who had similar or equal PIMs had significantly less hits than me so there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation. (~20 PIM in regular season and ~10 PIM in post season).

Skipp Santos then sat down with Tampa Bay General Manager Yanni Katarnakis.

Skipp Santos:Why was Anthony Archer your guy at 12?

GM Yanni Katarnakis: Anthony Archer was someone me and my co-GM didn't even take a proper look at , because honestly we expected him to go top 5. However we knew the basics and we did do some research to a certain extent so we were prepared. When the TPE leader drops to you at 12, it's a no brainer especially when coming from an SMJHL team like the Outlaws that are known to produce top end talent.

Skipp Santos:What do you expect out of Archer?

GM Yanni Katarnakis: I expect Archer in his prime to be a top fantasy pick, to be hitting 200 hits a season and contend for the Dar. Archer will be an excellent player in the future and I can't wait to see him in the big league.

Knox Booth
[Image: 8460535.jpg]
General Manager of Toronto North Stars takes to the stage and calls out, “And with the 14th overall selection in the S49 SHL Entry Draft the Toronto North Stars select goaltender from the Colorado Raptors... Knox Booth!”

As covered earlier, while Booth was drafted by the Toronto Raptors, he is property of the Los Angeles Panthers now. The SHL club was quick to sign their new goaltender, inking a $9 million, 3 season deal with Booth ($3 million Average Annual Value). Knox Booth released a podcast about his draft day experience and stated that Toronto treated him very nicely and that he was happy the trade occurred sooner rather than later so that it was easier to process. Apart of the Season 49 class, Booth got his start in the SMJHL with the Colorado Raptors, selected 20th overall in the S48 draft. Booth was excited about Colorado selecting him, quoted saying, “Woohoo!” While Knox Booth’s record was 4 wins – 8 losses – and 3 overtime losses, Booth did have Colorado’s best save percentage at 0.981 and goals against average at 2.60. While Booth’s record isn’t great, the Colorado Raptors struggled in general last season, going 18-25-7. The Raptors have a good chance at rebounding next season, especially with a capped Knox Booth backstopping. Booth should see more games next season as he’s vastly improved thanks to a great work ethic and continued development.  The Canadian goal tender is 6’5” and 215 pounds, he has the size and the skill is coming along nicely. He plays a butterfly style, with scouts raving about his rebound control, style control and reaction time. Scouts are concerned, however, with his skating. Knox Booth has talked about how he will be in the SHL before too long and that’s what makes Los Angeles the right team for him. Fun fact: Knox Booth’s jersey number is #60.

Skipp Santos: How did it feel when Toronto called your name?

Knox Booth: I felt equal parts happiness and relief. I wasn’t sure if I’d go in the first round and was hoping I wouldn’t fall too far, so when it happened I felt like I could finally relax.
Skipp Santos: Thoughts on being a first round draft selection?

Knox Booth: Honoured to be a 1st rounded especially when everyone told me that goalies were not needed. I was pleasantly surprised when it happened.

Knox Booth: Stability, both in net and on the forums. I love this game and will be around for a long time. I’m a positive person who bring that mindset to both the LR and on the ice.

Skipp Santos then sat down with Los Angeles Panthers’ Co-General Manager Patrick O'Connor.

Skipp Santos: How did it feel when you saw Toronto draft Knox Booth?

Patrick O’Connor: We were frustrated. We had a lot of talks with Booth and so we were very high on. We thought he would be there at 18, so seeing him go a few picks early was just frustrating to watch. We were very happy with McMahon as we had experience with his agency but Booth was someone we really coveted. Booth is someone that we could see backstopping for the franchise for a long time. That said, we were never really upset with Toronto. We understood what they were doing and we were eager to work out a deal with them. We were not going to call for their heads publicly and ruin a working relationship with them.

Skipp Santos: How determined were you to make a trade for Knox Booth?

Patrick O’Connor: We had talked about it, went back and forth. If it was possible to pull off the trade and get Booth to Los Angeles then we were going to explore it and try to make it happy. It was definitely something we were interested in looking at, however the potential cost was our issue. We decided it was worth it however and went for it. Toronto gave us a fair price and we had the necessary resources so it was a no brainer to pull the trigger on that deal.

(Thanks a lot for the help with the article, you guys are the best)

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

Fiuck yeah Toivo! Smile

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Thanks for the shout, cool article

[Image: KIHXpPg.png]