Create Account

PT 2 - Looking Forward

As a rookie in the SMJHL, you're taking the same first steps today's SHL greats took all those seasons ago. Tell us about the player(s) you look up to and are aiming to emulate.

Requirements

Written option: Must include 150 words and some reference to build attributes and/or stats of both yourself and at least one player currently in the SHL.
Graphic option: Must include two renders and at least three different build attributes and/or stats of both yourself and at least one player currently in the SHL.

Payout
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)

Only S49 SMJHL Rookies (S50 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.

Deadline
Sunday, August 18, 10 AM MDT

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2019, 03:17 PM by Budgie.)

Peter Larson is a goalie that I very look up to. We have different weaknesses - his skating, mine rebound control - but the way he chooses to focus on the primary/secondary attributes echos my own. His style control, hand speed, and reaction time are all the highest attributes and equal. Secondary attributes lag a little behind and attributes like penalty shot and endurance are all but ignored. So far, that's something I've been trying to do with my TPE as well. I'm pushing my primaries to 80, then bringing the secondaries to 70/75. After that, the remaining TPE before the Junior cap will be spent on bringing the primaries to 85 or getting my favourite secondaries (agility, skating) to 80. Penalty shot and endurance will remain at 50 for the foreseeable future, just like Peter Larson.

I also spent some time looking at the build of Harry Carpet. He also has a high rebound control with skating weakness, which makes me think rebound control makes a bigger impact on the game than I thought, and maybe I should change my weakness.

Edit: I guess all the ANC kids are talking about Cameron Carter II. I'm a goalie so the most relevant things I can learn from such an immense role model are to fight for a contract that reflects your worth, and to never let criticism get you down -- no matter how unanimous that criticism may be.

[Image: EsVSFns.png][Image: uzmDXiJ.png]
Sigs by @Carpy48 and @tweedledunn

Growing up in Minnesota, Bobby Lane really looked up to Terrance Nova. He loved Nova’s offensive approach to the game. Nova had a nose for the back of the net, and found ways to score even when it looked improbable. Lane wanted to be the same kind of player.

When I was considering how I would build Lane, I strongly considered taking the same strengths that Nova has, which are Scoring, Puck Handling, and Passing. It’s a really good offensive toolset. I opted for Scoring, Puck Handling, and Skating, which is also a solid toolset. I may still swap Skating for Passing at some point, but I’d like to see how Lane’s career goes and who his linemates will be when he’s in the SHL before I make that decision. The one thing I am thinking about doing, which Nova did not, is to not max out Defense at 90. I am toying with the idea of leaving Lane’s at 85 for most or all of his career. It might not go well, and I’ll end up having to put it up, but I think it’d be interesting to try when so many people are taking Defense as a strength.

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 07:59 PM by ImASurvivor.)

With my first-generation player here in Ricky Bobby, I plan on excelling in 3 areas of the game which are shown by my build's strengths. Ricky's three areas of strength are Scoring, Skating, and Defense. While Ricky wants to be a sniper through and through, while using his speed to find himself open shooting lanes, he does not want to forget the defensive side of the game since defending goals is just as important as scoring them. Checking is a weakness for Ricky as he struggles to emerge from the corners with the puck or throw his body into other players, but hopefully, teammates around him will be able to pick up his slack in that area. A player that I plan on emulating with Ricky Bobby is Mike Izzy of the Calgary Dragons. Izzy is the top goal scorer currently in the S49 SHL Season, and that's where Ricky Bobby's potential should take him. Izzy currently has 15 goals in the first 21 games, meaning he scores 0.714 goals per game. Meanwhile, in his rookie season in the SMJHL, Ricky Bobby has 4 goals in the first 21 games, meaning he is on pace to score 9.52 goals by the end of S49.

[Image: bobby1.jpg]

[Image: DaNnVpo.png]   [Image: CfsNrQZ.png]   [Image: ZZLBWWZ.png]
Kraken | Switzerland | Jets

While my exposure to the SHL itself has been fairly limited, I'd like to model my player after Slap McShotty who is a center for the New England Wolfpack. He's been a mentor of mine as an alum of the Anaheim Outlaws and shown me what a good developing center can be. I have compared my target build to his and he's definitely got a great approach, although a bit different from mine. He's favoring a pass-first offensive style that I am trying after as well, but went with a weakness of scoring whereas I took a weakness on the checking. With a 697 TPE rating, he's boasting an impressive 90 defense and in the 80s for puck handling and passing. As I'm still working towards my 350 TPE build my approach will be slightly different, but Slap shows how variance can work in the SHL and that there is a spot for each type. His impressive performance in the worlds shows that the centers can play the whole ice and gives me someone to learn from.

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

As an Alberta native, Ryan Shepard always loved watching Mike Izzy play for the Blizzard and then the Dragons. He wanted to be similar on the ice, but just wasn't very good at getting the puck in the net so he went in a different direction. When Shepard was about 11, a center that caught a lot of people's eyes caught his as well. That center was Max Mauldin who now plays for the Los Angeles Panthers. Both Shepard and Mauldin share passing, skating, puck handling as strengths and checking as a weakness. However, Shepard has been working with the coaching staff in Kelowna and has considered changing skating for defense later in his career. Other than strengths, Mauldin is nearly as good as he can be at faceoffs, which is something Shepard would like to be a defining part of his character as he continues to grow. Sadly he cannot improve too much more on his faceoffs until he reaches the SHL as there is the well known plateau everybody hits during their time in the SMJHL.

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

One player in the SHL I think everyone should try and emulate is Cameron Carter II also known as CC2: MJ of the SHL and member of the Chicago Syndicate. Michael, oh sorry Cameron, is a strong skater and defender, things I too an strong in and hope to improve in the future. The issue I will have emulating the great CC2 is the fact that he has a strong scoring presence which is something that I will struggle with for the duration of my career. MJ also is strong on the puck with his great puck handling and is able to check well to get others off the puck. I am working on my checking game now, and I am also working hard on my puck handling.

On top of his great statisitical abilities, his greatest strength might be his ability to disappear after the preseason. As someone who also is not a large presence on the score sheet in the regular season this gives me hope that one day I too can be a strong scorer in the preseason, just like MJ.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2019, 02:29 PM by Ferda.)

Cameron Carter II should undisputedly be everyone's choice as their SHL role model. The fact that he is able to make everything he does look so effortless is an understatement to his capabilities on and off the ice.  His ability to skate, check, score and play defense all at a high level should be an inspiration to all aspiring players in this league. Not once in my generation has there been such a well rounded player that is a threat in every area of the rink. If only it was easier to learn how he wheels all the ladies at the bar. The guy is the main reason why I am considering working on my body more to bulk up and raise my physical game more, specifically, in checking and strength as he easily beats defenders with his size and speed. With all of that grit and power going into that big 6'2" 200 lb. frame, he's made me want to put more emphasis on strength, skating and checking to round out my defensive game before getting better offensively. All of these attributes have become important to me in my development because I want to be able to be dominate other guys just like CC2 in all aspects of the game. Sure, I might be a bit smaller than him, but nothing is stopping me from bulking up and getting a bit thicker to be a bigger presence on the ice. I understand that I can't work on everything at the same time, so I'm going to try and focus on the stuff the stats don't show to help my team in the defensive end. Even though he's a forward, there's an overwhelming amount of learning you can do from just watching him play and you can't help but admire the fact that he has the most well-rounded skillset in the SHL and it's not even close. It's unfortunate that I'll never be as good as him and we'll never see another player that can play at such a high level when he decides to hang 'em up.

CC2 is truly the MJ of the SHL and you can't even argue about it because he's busy styling on all of your asses, night-in and night-out.

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

[Image: pt2.png?width=296&height=240]
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2019, 03:58 PM by uhh.)

Hariken Urawa is meant to be a smooth-skating, offensive-minded forward with a strong bias for shooting. He's never going to be a pass-first player, and the name of his game is to get to the high-danger areas and score goals. Puck handling, skating, and scoring are going to be his three primary attributes, with enough points in passing and defense to keep him from being a complete liability outside of the offensive zone. He will be the kind of player that ends up on highlight reels often, due to his creative puck skills and his deadly snap shot.

Many of the top veteran SHL players have amassed enough TPE to provide significant boosts across all of their stats, so I went through a few players' update threads to see which ones fit a similar development pattern. Rainbow Dash @Eggy216 followed a mostly-similar progression through the SMJHL, with some differences. Dash put more points into checking early on than Hariken has, and chose to increase defense first over puck handling. Still, by the time Dash hit her TPE cap in the J, her top attributes were Scoring (76), Defense (75), Skating (76), Puck Handling (70), and Checking (71), with Passing at 62.

I think that Hariken will end up in a similar place, but I don't plan to put as many points into checking, which is Urawa's weakness. By the time Hariken is at his 350 TPE SMJHL cap, he will look like:

TPE: 350
Bank: 0

CK = Checking: 40

FG = Fighting: 25
DI = Discipline: 62
SK = Skating: 78
ST = Strength: 50
EN = Endurance: 60
DU = Durability: 50
PH = Puck Handling: 76
FO = Face Offs: 40
PA = Passing: 70
SC = Scoring: 80
DF = Defense: 76
PS = Penalty Shot: 40

The above should be enough for Hariken to be one of the top players in the SMJHL sim by the end of Season 50, and then from there, his banked TPE will go into getting endurance up to 70-80 for the SHL, increasing the support stats (defense and passing), and then getting strengths (scoring, puck handling, skating) into 90-99 territory.

[Image: urawa4.jpg]
Special thanks to @Sleepy for the signature

As a defensively responsible forward, it's hard to imagine young players looking up to the great Viktor Marius and Mike Izzy. Henrik Lekberg Osterman grew up watching Marius and Izzy play. Lekberg Osterman and his friends would spend hours on end watching their games, dissecting every play and every move on the ice and trying to emulate them. Lekberg Osterman specifically decided to focus his game on defensive play as well as his skating, something that he had always been gifted at. He would spend most days during the colder months of the year just skating around on the lake at home, constantly pushing his abilities to the brink. When he started getting noticed for his play as a young boy it became clear that his shot was not what he should be focusing on but rather his passing as he had always had an uncanny ability to read the developing play. It also started becoming increasingly clear that the combination of his natural defensive and skating abilities made him slippery with the puck, so unlike Marius and Izzy his weakness wasn't strength while on the puck, rather it was checking, something he had always been less than impressive at no matter how hard he worked on it.

210 words

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

One player Andrei Petrikov has always looked up to is Mikhail Lokitonov. As both Andrei's father and Loki played for the same SMJHL teams, it was very easy for young Andrei to watch both the Mikhails play. This was the time that young Andrei decided he wanted to be a winger, instead of playing the blue line like his father. Loki's scoring and puck handling stats of 99 are a point Andrei would like to reach eventually, although he knows his puck handling will never be as good as Loki's.

Another player that gets talked about in the Anchorage locker room, and Andrei watches from time to time, is Cameron Carter II. Although Andrei respects CC2's high defense, skating and scoring stats, of 95, 98 and 96 respectively, he thinks that CC2 would benefit from spending more time in the gym to help bump his strength up.

[Image: 49775_s.png]
Thanks to Budgie and Carpy for the sigs!

Player || Updates

The player I look up to right now is Mike Izzy. Mike is an elite center with strong puck handling skills and strong. At 90 Puck handling, he is a good example of the type of player that I want to be. Mike Izzy likes to shoot the puck more than I do, but I'm mainly concerned with his point production and +/-. This proves Mike's ability to be strong on both ends of the ice and that his entire game isn't just scoring goals. Moreover, Mike plays many hard minutes a night and is the top center on the team. I also want to be a strong two-way center, and to that end I have strong puck handling abilities and a passing mind-set. My defence is only at 70 but I aim to continue to improve it to be a point generating 1st line center with a positive +/-. I want to play the hard minutes and be relied upon on my team.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Growing up, Ronlain actually always really looked forward to getting the chance to play with Jimmy Slothface. Both of them are Right Winger snipers, focusing primarily on getting away from the opposing team with raw skating and puck handling and then beating the goalie one on one. The Finnish forward's ability to outplay nearly every other skater on the ice is incredible, and something that Ronlain hopes that he can do himself someday. He would watch countless tapes of Slothface playing in the Finnish juniors, from before he came over to the SMJHL and eventually the SHL, and sit there in awe of his ability to move the puck around on the ice and dance effortlessly around all the other skaters. Now, Ronlain is hoping to do much of the same as he enters his first SMJHL season. Looking forward, one thing is for certain, both James Ronlain and Jimmy Slothface have many many years of clapping bombs into the back of the net to look forward to.

[Image: rankle.gif]
[Image: 9rbVE0N.png]

Barracuda Chomp Chomp Water Dog Barracuda
Scarecrows Scarecrow Noises Scarecrows
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Andrey Barbashev’s father was a defensive and pass first centerman in the SHL. However, his son Andrey II is basically the complete opposite. Andrey is a highly skilled, strong on the puck sniper who one day hopes to emulate similarities to Kucherov and Ovechkin. Andrey has already developed a strong skill in both his scoring and skating ability but he’s aiming to improve his puck control and strength in hopes of being a hard forward to knock off the puck. In addition, after talking to management, he has also been advised to focus more on his 200 foot game and playing without the puck on the defensive side. The logic is to be a strong player across the board and perhaps add some physicality which if Andrey does, he could be a very dynamic winger for any team that decides to draft him in the SHL. The goal for Andrey is to max out at 350 by the start of next season or get remotely close to. For now, his workouts will be centralized around strength, defence, scoring, and skating.

Code:
180 words

[Image: QhAQn2i.png]  [Image: yIvjn4j.png]