Create Account

PT 2 - Looking Forward

In Estonia, there are not many SHL games broadcasted through the season. However, when shown, the West Kendall Platoon were typically one of the most broadcasted teams. This became Kalevolaripaako Käspertommevisnapuu’s favorite team. One player in particular would catch his attention from the Platoon roster, Alex Light.

Light’s game really interested Kalevolaripakko, and he wanted to mimic his game as much as possible. During his formative years, Käspertommevisnapuu really worked on his puck handling ability, which in turn, allowed him to become a dangerous goal scorer. While Alex Light is known for being a great skater, Kalevolaripaako’s development in Estonia lacked the power skating schools, that many of his counterparts were able to learn from. Instead, his game rounded out with a strong defensive presence, as is common with many European players who come from smaller hockey countries.

Another similarity between Light and Käspertommevisnapuu is their lack of a physical presence on the ice. Kalevolaripaako saw that Light didn’t need to be a physical dominating player to still make a presence on the ice. Despite his size at 6’4” and 210 pounds, Kalevolaripaako uses his size more to protect the puck than to knock guys off of it.

Code:
~195 words

[Image: BUzKbLn.png]

[Image: 5p7vOwY.png]  |  [Image: NA3IV5m.png]

A little bit of background on Jay Reeves, he grew up not knowing too much about hockey. It wasn’t until his dad took him to his first hockey game. It was a season opener for the Toronto North Stars. Of course he was excited, but he definitely had an eye out for Mikhail Lokitonov. His puck handling stood out among the rest. He was so smooth in every hit, and every pass. You could tell he was experienced. The puck went exactly to where he needed it to go and it made the other teams defenders look like a bunch of noobs. When it came to scoring, you could feel the power behind each and every shot. It made Jay Reeves more excited to learn about hockey and how to play the game with as much passion as Mikhail. He knew he would focus his strengths on puck handling, reaching the max level of 99 along with max level of 99 in scoring. Some of the most important strengths for a winger.

PBE PT

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]

Ursin Zimmermann allways liked to play defense. Just because it's a position where you allways have to be better positioned then your enemy. But he also loved to get assists and some goals. There's one player who pretty much fits his playstyle and thats Jerry Mander.
His build is pretty much was Ursin's build should be. a solid 80 in defence where mine is only 70 yet. As well as skating with 75 where Ursin is pretty basic with 60.
There may be two stats which Ursin want to flip and thats passing and scoring. Jerry has 78 in scoring and 70 in passing where Ursin wants a passing number around 80 and scoring maybe 70.
Currently the only focus of Ursin is getting his build to the 75 points in skating and 80 points in defense but this will take some time till he reaches this point. But till he get's to this point he will have to work his ass off like jerry did.

Growing up I never thought about trying to mold my game after a particular player; I wanted to be my own kind of player. I wanted to be the one people would be emulating in the future. But once I got up into the higher tiers I saw that just wasn't going to work. Everyone is good now, some guys are great. Those guys are great because they have learned from others what works and what doesn't. There is nothing wrong with looking for inspiration to improve your game from another player. Steven Moyer (@CanadianDuck) is one of those great players.

I had a chance to be 'mentored' by him for some program the SHL puts on for connecting rookies with veterans before we get to the show. Well my mentoring was...interesting to say the least. He had me punching half a cow hanging in a meat locker. Probably violates some kind of health code. He had me painting his fence, probably violates a labour law. He also had me chasing a live chicken which was probably terrified for its life. I say all this in jest of course, because I actually really appreciated our time spent together because he was honest about playing pro hockey and it was refreshing. Growing up and looking like you might make it, people talk up playing pro hockey as 'dream.' But it's hard. It's hard on families. It's hard on your body and your mind. And it's in everything you do until you retire. But it's everything to you.

Moyer picking me was the best case scenario. He's exactly the player I want to be. I watched a ton of video after our hangout to see exactly how he did what he did on the ice. He's a big presence but playmaking is his specialty. His skating and playmaking are elite. He provides a scoring touch, but it's his passing that sets him apart. His passing is as good as anyone out there. His defense is admirable for someone of his play style. He's not a liability on the ice, and is very responsible in his own end. I would be a fool not to want to emulate someone like this, and I plan on it.

-James Hendricks