Create Account

S49 PT#3 - SHL Big Brother program

PBE

[Image: capybar22_600.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2019, 09:18 PM by Kalakar.)

Matt Kholin was really excited when the Big Brothers organization asked him to mentor a young Barracuda player earlier last month. They were just coming off the draft and tons of new rookies would be settling in their new environment and would definitely need some help in that regard. Kholin decided to mentor the young former Falcons player in the Barracudas prospect pool, Lunga Gumba (@Pingy Pingu). While the task seemed like a great idea, it took Matt just under 4 days to track down the Detroit player who was now back in his hometown in the land of Gumba. With 3 days remaining, it was too short for Kholin to jump on a plane, ask a pilot to trust his navigational tips to the unknown area, and spend some time with Lunga. So he decided to facetime him instead. They spent the next several days trying to reconnect and set up time for Lunga to come back to Tampa to visit the old gang that missed him a lot but that is now in the hands of Gumba, for him to ask himself if he ever wants to play in the SHL again. One thing's for sure, he definitely has the skill required to play in the league.

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

PBE PT

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2019, 09:26 PM by Pris.)

Though they are the same age, Anastasia is happy to mentor her Russian teammate Jerry Mander, who is on his last season in Anaheim. The two have become fairly close over the course of the past few seasons, being partners in advocating for more physicality on the Russian national team (mainly by just calling everyone else a bunch of bitches). Over the course of the week, Anastasia decided that the best way to mentor him was to finally, truly indoctrinate him into the Russian way - the beautiful art of drinking. While Mander is no stranger himself to this art, Anastasia thinks it best to show him the Russian way now that he has transferred nationalities, for the sake of better cultural assimilation. She’s nothing if not a good countrywoman. She took him on a bar crawl through the streets of Moscow after the last IIHF tournament, putting him through the “difficult” situation of vodka shot flights. Finally, in an homage to her upbringing, she made him drink vodka out of a skate, to complete his transformation. He took it all like a complete champ. Now, he is a true Russian forever. @GCool

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

This task was hard for Gunnar because he's the youngest of seven children, so he's only ever had experience being a little brother, not having one. Also, all of his siblings are sisters and he has no brothers at all, even an older one, so he was making this up as he went along. Eventually he decided to drag both of his former roommates from Kelowna, Vadim Malichov and Aleksandr Scherbak, out for a lot of fancy food and drinks. Despite it looking as if they both might have decided not to play in the SHL at this point, Gunnar decided it was important that they learn how to spend money at a professional level (he's a Taurus, what were you really expecting). It was a long week that involved a lot of sushi and trying on overpriced watches while listening to Post Malone non-stop, and it is anyone's guess whether they learned anything other than the fact that Gunnar is bad at being a big brother.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

I was able to spend a week mentoring a fine young man in the Anchorage Armada organization, Gabriel Johnson @Gwdjohnson. Gabe is also a prospect in the Steelhawks org, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to connect with him and share my experience to help him navigate through what is a confusing time for many players. Mostly, I was able to have a real heart to heart conversation with him about what it's like to deal with the pressure of being a high profile draft pick and how to overcome challenges in production. We talked a lot about how I have yet to materialize as an elite defenseman yet I am able to help shoulder the load as part of a team that's rebuilding towards being a powerhouse. At the end of the day I hope that I imparted to him that personal success may or may not come quickly but knowing how to play a role on a team is what helps make great things happen.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

@Steelhead77 Esa Parmborg came into Dragons camp and Shooter thought he would give him pointers, especially with how to win over GM Esa. The key is to be able to eat as many chicken parts as possible . So shooter showed him by eating 5 in 10 minutes...however Parmborg ate double that in half the time. Shooter's face dropped in amazement. Parmborg asked "do you know who I am"? After explaining who he was, he explained that Anrikkanen took him aside after watching him play his first year, told him all the hockey skills were there, but to be a true Dragon he would have to be able to pile down chicken parms. Esa Parmborg took his advice to heart and seemed to be flawless. Shooter took him aside and said, there is one thing you can improve a little bit, I'll help you shoot. So shooter took him out to the golf course with hockey sticks and they played golf with pucks. It took Esa a few holes to get the hang of it, but he finished with a hole in one on the 18th hole...he's ready for the big leagues now.

We came into the league in the same draft but I made it to the big leagues before him. He is @esilverm. A great up and coming player who is ready to burst onto the scene next season. We first met when we both played for the St. Louis Scarecrows. We instantly became best friends and I took him under my wing to teach him the ways. He did struggle with learning how to be a role player in his first season as a scarecrow. With a bunch of veterans on the team it was hard for both of us to play less minutes. In our second SMJHL season we both played big minutes and I saw Silver grow as a player on and off the ice. He started helping the rookies on the team and they took notice on how to play like a captain. I feel that I taught Silver some important lessons that he was able to give to future crows.

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2019, 09:59 PM by diacope.)

At the Whalers Big Brother program in Vancouver I ended up getting paired with @"luketd" and it was nice to see him again after he moved to Manhattan this off-season, it was a perfecting pairing because I was still trying to adjust and get used to the league and if anybody was able to help me learn the ins and outs he would know, we started chatting after our morning practice, we played a quick 1 on 1 before lunch and he destroyed me but it was fun, was just thrilled to see him in Vancouver again. At lunch we eat Subway and exchanged stories on how our life has been since winning the Four Star Cup, nothing has changed for either of us outside of hockey, when we decided to talk about hockey I let him know I didn't like I fit in, he said it was part of the game and to keep developing into the player I wanted to be, it made me realize I was taking things too serious and I needed to have more fun. He took me to his place and we played the newest version of SHL hockey, this time I got revenge and beat him with the Rage when he was playing with Vancouver, scored with Thomason too. The night ended when the program called him back around 9 at night, I wished him luck in Manhattan and hoped to see him again. Learned a lot from this and hope to do it again!

(252 words)

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon