Create Account

Recreation idea

Why would we want to implement something that would make it harder for new members to compete with others in their draft class?

Not knowing STHS from the get-go already puts them at a disadvantage. Increasing that will just drive people away.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Recreation? Why are we so concerned with players leisure time activities? Shouldn’t we keep this focused on hockey?

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

09-01-2019, 08:54 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: Why would we want to implement something that would make it harder for new members to compete with others in their draft class?

Not knowing STHS from the get-go already puts them at a disadvantage. Increasing that will just drive people away.

As a first gen player I like the idea because it gives something to aspire to. I think that it should be within reach for a first gen to be a star in the league, but I think there should be a tier above that for the truly generational players, and this is one avenue to do it. But I get what you're saying. Not everyone would like that as a new player.

[Image: urawa4.jpg]
Special thanks to @Sleepy for the signature

Where shl milestones

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

09-03-2019, 09:11 PMSlashACM Wrote: Where shl milestones

http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91252

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

09-03-2019, 09:32 PMTommySalami Wrote:
09-03-2019, 09:11 PMSlashACM Wrote: Where shl milestones

http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91252

Bunp

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

No thanks. Re-creates already have a good enough advantage over first-gens. Stuff like this would turn me off from joining a new league.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

@"TommySalami" I have been thinking about you previous suggestion for super players.

I think something that might be a better path is a TPE bonus paid to players for going to the SHL earlier in their careers.

Something like. 120tpe awarded one off to players that enter the SHL in their first eligible season (true rookies). 40tpe awarded one off to players that enter the SHL in their second eligible year.

This would enable players to play for their ShL teams at 450-500 tpe as true rookies, or 550 as 2nd year players.

This is a path that veterans might take more readily. And allow them to meaningfully contribute quicker.

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

09-04-2019, 08:17 AMTomasnz Wrote: @"TommySalami" I have been thinking about you previous suggestion for super players.

I think something that might be a better path is a TPE bonus paid to players for going to the SHL earlier in their careers.

Something like. 120tpe awarded one off to players that enter the SHL in their first eligible season (true rookies). 40tpe awarded one off to players that enter the SHL in their second eligible year.

This would enable players to play for their ShL teams at 450-500 tpe as true rookies, or 550 as 2nd year players.

This is a path that veterans might take more readily. And allow them to meaningfully contribute quicker.

Not a bad idea tbh. Would be hard to get a lot of people on board just because you'd be rewarding tpe to people for doing nothing, but I like it. My only complaint is that 120 TPE is a bit too to give to a true rookie.

[Image: 3.png]

09-04-2019, 09:03 AMJSS Wrote:
09-04-2019, 08:17 AMTomasnz Wrote: @"TommySalami" I have been thinking about you previous suggestion for super players.

Not a bad idea tbh. Would be hard to get a lot of people on board just because you'd be rewarding tpe to people for doing nothing, but I like it. My only complaint is that 120 TPE is a bit too to give to a true rookie.

Yeah the numbers I think could be played with. But I feel like this would be interesting. And allow and inventivise players to move up from the junior League when they are ready.

Needs to be at least 100tpe I think in order to actually work.

Could be maybe this is an option that needs to be paid for by the team or player if they want to make use of it? Calling it say "5 star recruit training" or something.

Not sure. Numbers and mechanism needs work, but I think this avenue might be a better mechanism in terms of allowing players to get underway faster if that is what they want to be doing.

Player Page

In theory this is a better idea, though if you can get THAT much extra TPE in your first season would anyone want to stay down, really?

I'll take a crappy rookie season for a free 120 TPE.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

The benefits to recreates turned me off of VHL way back when. I'd rather see an even playing field, as well as continuous incentives to make the site better.

Just putting my thoughts in as a Junior GM.

1. I don't like this idea primarily on the premise of the massive divide it opens between new users and recreates. Recreates already normally have advantages over new users and widening that gap by letting people create as super players only makes that worse. You could kiss any chance of a first gen getting drafted high if you know there are going to be 10+ recreates who are coming into the J at almost the cap.

2. Looking at it from another angle this could lead to teams trying to time recreates with making super teams since you would suddenly have many more capped players in a draft that can take a team with people who have just capped and add super players to the team. /

3. Yet another angle from a GMing side. If I don't think I will be at the top of the league right this season why even bother drafting someone who will likely be gone next season since they almost start off capped.

4. I still don't understand how some people see the juniors as something they have to escape at the first possible moment. Outside of your team being horribly mismanaged I don't see a reason not to enjoy the relatively short time career-wise you are in the J. You already have the option of just telling your GM you want to be called up immediately.

5. I think having veteran users invested in junior teams is good for the new players as they have more people outside of the GM's who can help them and share information. If someone knows they are just going to be there 1 season, it is unlikely they will get as invested in their teammates.

I just don't like any system that so heavily favorites a recreate being able to make a much better player than a first gen as this would effect their entire career. They would reach TPE tiers much faster and make it almost impossible for first gens to match up to recreates in their draft class.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

09-04-2019, 10:07 AMArGarBarGar Wrote:

In theory this is a better idea, though if you can get THAT much extra TPE in your first season would anyone want to stay down, really?

Yeah, at a glance the way this would incentivize premature graduation from juniors would really harm SMJHL participation.
Plus, the free TPE means more productive seasons before regression.

09-04-2019, 02:06 PMSpartanGibbles Wrote: Just putting my thoughts in as a Junior GM.

1. I don't like this idea primarily on the premise of the massive divide it opens between new users and recreates. Recreates already normally have advantages over new users and widening that gap by letting people create as super players only makes that worse. You could kiss any chance of a first gen getting drafted high if you know there are going to be 10+ recreates who are coming into the J at almost the cap.

2. Looking at it from another angle this could lead to teams trying to time recreates with making super teams since you would suddenly have many more capped players in a draft that can take a team with people who have just capped and add super players to the team. /

3. Yet another angle from a GMing side. If I don't think I will be at the top of the league right this season why even bother drafting someone who will likely be gone next season since they almost start off capped.

4. I still don't understand how some people see the juniors as something they have to escape at the first possible moment. Outside of your team being horribly mismanaged I don't see a reason not to enjoy the relatively short time career-wise you are in the J. You already have the option of just telling your GM you want to be called up immediately.

5. I think having veteran users invested in junior teams is good for the new players as they have more people outside of the GM's who can help them and share information. If someone knows they are just going to be there 1 season, it is unlikely they will get as invested in their teammates.

I just don't like any system that so heavily favorites a recreate being able to make a much better player than a first gen as this would effect their entire career. They would reach TPE tiers much faster and make it almost impossible for first gens to match up to recreates in their draft class.

I agree with all of these, but 4 and 5 especially. Juniors is fun. Take your time to enjoy it, because having a strong SMJHL experience is key in retaining new players. I speak from experience, being a new player myself.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

09-04-2019, 10:07 AMArGarBarGar Wrote:

Means you are skipping the chance to play in the juniors with a high tpe build (300-350)

Some people won’t mind that others might want a chance to shine a bit more.

If we got the numbers right I think some people would use it and some wouldn’t. Which would mean more people leaving the juniors earlier but not emptying it. Which I think would be good.

Player Page