PT 4 - Key Line Pie

PBE PT

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]

PBE PT

PBE PT

When looking at a top line, I have to stick with my team the Lethbridge Lions and look at the top defensive pairing, these two have been lights out all season for our team and is the key factor from why we are not last place as a bunch of rookies. With 34 and 33 points respectively and 77 points combined in 47 games, this top D pair is one of the best defensive scoring tandems in the league. One of the things that really makes this line work in my opinion is having an experienced player along with an amazing rookie prospect, teaching them the game first hand every night of the week.

Off the ice, these two may not be the biggest talkers but they show all they need to in practice, these two make it seem easy for all of the newer players, even the 2 that joined in the middle of the season. These two have very good contrasting stats, with delver having higher scoring, he slots in most of the goals with 14 while akira has 29 assists, which is partially the reason why they are currently leading the rookie scoring race.

It also helps that they are on the top line with pretty much our only experienced forward line, with the help of those 3 up front, this defensive pairing could be a scary thing if they eventually end up on the same team together in the SHL.

It's hard to talk about top lines without talking about the Militia's Gaspard Boone and Herry Morris IV, along with rookie Alexei Rykov. Gaspard Boone is the leagues top scorer and Morris IV is aptly ranked fourth. This line has been a consistent *boon* to the militia with multiple multi-point nights for each of these player. Alexei Rykov has enjoyed his time at the top as well, being one of the leagues top point-getting rookies. Earlier in the season he was among the top 3 but a string of losses for the militia, or perhaps vice versa, has put Rykov back a few steps. Boone and Morris IV also rank among the top players in points per 20 minutes played. They are each the top scoring centers and right wings respectively. Unsurprisingly, they also rank in the top 10 in shots, Morris IV being first and Boone being 10th. Rykov also ranks 4th in shooting percentage, just behind teammate Bobby Lane, who also deserves a mention. This top line hopes to continue to be successful, but one wonders who is helping who on this line?

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Every player that goes up against Montreal’s top line seems to come back to the bench shaking their heads as of late, because the Militia’s star lineup is absolutely on fire this season. Their first line is comprised of rookie wing Alexei Rykov and third-year Herry Morris IV, and centered by veteran Gaspard Boone. Those three have combined for 59 goals so far this season, with Boone atop the league’s goals category (and Morris not far behind, either). Morris is also bombarding the shot category with 172 shots, ten higher than the next closest on the list. Boone averages over a point per game, and is currently on a three game scoring streak as we near the end of the season. With additional talent on the team in goalie Mike Hunt, defensemen Padraig Sarantez and Kaspars Claude, and second line left wing Bobby Lane, I’m genuinely amazed they’re not higher in the standings.

Code:
153 words

[Image: eVLQjW8.png][Image: I8h2PWM.png]
Z-big-nyev Po-kriv-ka

When the intro to this PT mentioned successful players despite their potentially poor-performing teams, I looked no further than the bottom of the standings, and there sat the Anchorage Armada. In an overall letdown of a season, a bright spot for the Armada is their mentorship on the blueline, in particular, the first pairing of Gabriel Johnson and Augustus Wang stand out. Johnson is out on the left, while Wang holds down the right side. Johnson's stats show that he has 11 goals, 23 assists, 23 hits, 44 blocked shots, all while averaging the most time on ice of any Armada player. Meanwhile, Wang's stats show that he had 5 goals and 12 assists, +3, 36 hits and 45 shots blocked. By looking at their stats, there may be a clear divide in their offensive production, but it is important to remember that Johnson is a capped defender in his third season with the Armada, while Wang is a rookie defenceman who is in just his first season of junior hockey and is already handling top pair minutes. Their stats also show that both players do a great job at producing both offensively, with goals and assists, but are also key defensive defencemen with their high hit and blocked shot totals. I think the key to the success for the Armada with this pairing, in particular, is the combination of veteran experience alongside raw young talent which combines to yield promising results. If Johnson returns to the J next season, then look out for Anchorage's strength on the blueline.

[Image: bobby1.jpg]

[Image: DaNnVpo.png]   [Image: CfsNrQZ.png]   [Image: ZZLBWWZ.png]
Kraken | Switzerland | Jets

Obviously, best line in league is third defensive line of Lethbridge Lions. Jack Wilson and I may only be on ice for 21% of game time, but time is used wisely. Great partnership between the two of us. While he goes up and plays with forwards, getting assists, the odd goal, and contributing to attacking success, defensive duties often fall to me. Two best stats in hockey are hits and blocked shots, and I have been putting in work doing both. With 66 shots blocked, I am tied for third most in league despite lower playing time, and I have good number of 69 hits. This would be higher if referee didn’t constantly view hits as “illegal” or “looking to injure”. I spend more time in penalty box than I would like, but only because it takes away from time I spend on ice making hits. Meanwhile, Wilson averages 0.46 points per game despite low level of playing time. This show how once defensive stop has been made, he does excellent job of moving puck up the ice to begin proper attack.

When it comes to the best line in the league, it's gotta be the top line in St. Louis. Nicolaj Muller, Mika Kandinsky, and Barrett Blackwood are undeniably the best line in the league. Muller Leads all left wingers and the entire league in points and goals with 25 goals and 30 assists. Blackwood has the second most points of any right winger and eighth most points in the league overall with 22 goals and 23 assists. Mika Kandinsky is fourth in points for centermen and twelfth overall in points with 16 goals and 28 assists. There is an argument to be made for Montreal's top line as well. They have two players who are fourth and second in the league in points overall which is extremely impressive. However the third member of that line, a rookie, has just 23 points and drags the overall value of that line down. Not to say it isn't impressive for a rookie to tally up that many points, but the line overall just isn't as purely skilled as the all-veteran top line in St. Louis.

[Image: rankle.gif]
[Image: 9rbVE0N.png]

Barracuda Chomp Chomp Water Dog Barracuda
Scarecrows Scarecrow Noises Scarecrows
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

I believe a great example of one of the most effective lines in this league would be St. Louis’ line of center Mika Kandinsky, their left wing Nicolaj Muller and their right wing Barrett Blackwood. After some review with ML, I realized their stats are pretty damn good. Nicolaj has 55 in 48 games, Barrett has 45 in 48 games and Mika has 44 in 48 games. Not to mention their +/- with Nicolaj at 19, Barrett at 19 and Mika at 20. Not only does this show each players individual efforts but as a line it shows how well they work together. Also when you compare their +/- to the rest of their team, you can clearly see that they work together the best. Not implying that the rest of the team isn’t good but compared to this lines +/- the rest have at most a +12 and most have a negative +/-. So shout out the Nicolaj, Barret and Mika!

While every team has “that” line that works for them. I believe a line that is being overlooked is the Lethbridge Lions second line of Eva Lykke Aparjode, Liam Hutchinson, and Luca Vecccelli. This line is actually the highest producing line in Lethbridge, but the problem is the Lions are a middle of the pack team.

They always say that a team needs contributions from more than just the top line. Aparjode leads the team with 48 points, Hutchinson is tied for second with Banananak, at 40, and Veccelli, a rookie, has 29. The combined 117 points is more than Banananak, Jazz, and Eykhil first line, who have a combined 103 points. Clearly, the second line is doing their part in making Lethbridge competitive. Unfortunately, after the top two lines there seems to be very little depth. You could only imagine how far behind the Lions would be if they were just a one line team.

I believe this shows how well Aparjode, Hutchinson, and Veccelli, who despite being a rookie, play together. Come playoff time, this is the kind of line that can win rounds for a team. A strong second line makes life easier for the top line, as the opposing team will have to figure out how to shut down more than just one line.

Code:
~210 words

[Image: BUzKbLn.png]

[Image: 5p7vOwY.png]  |  [Image: NA3IV5m.png]

The Kelowna 1st line, which is made up of Josef Novotny, Tah Puhcheese and Raquel Castillo Gutierrez is arguably the most effective line in the J right now. Obviously they play a lot, as they are the first line of Kelowna with 40% of the icetime allocated to them, but combined they got 134 points, lead by Gutierrez 48 points. It's is the most by a single line, at least from what i've seen, some other lines came close but wasn't there. They're a fairly physical line too, combining for 166 hits, with Gutierrez leading the pack as well with 64. Despite being forwards with a full 5 offensive line tactic they are all actually getting the work in on the D too, blocking shots on a good rate for being forwards. The line combined for 42 blocked shots, with Puhcheese leading the trio with 16 blocked. Very impressive for a line that is supposed to be focusing on scoring to actually play some good D. Hat off.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

I'm a bit surprised thatwe have yet to mention Colorado's second defensive pairing of Derek Bohne Jr. and rookie Daniel Kuster in this thread - I mean, the numbers speak for themselves! They netted an impressive 57 combined points, were able to both keep a positive ratio at 5v5 (while we're seeing the first pair in the negative), all while playing around 20 minutes a night. And every night, you could see Bohne's paternal instincts kick in, always willing to come to the defense of his young partner, and show him how to become the ultimate defenseman! Bohne finished third in the league in shots blocked, sixth in hits, and second in penalty minutes (let's not glorify that stat too much, his coach may be listening...) - and while Kuster is not nearly as physical and short-tempered as his mentor, you could see the defensive responsibility flourish in him as the season unfolded. I'm certain that if the season was just a bit longer, Colorado could have surprised the league with an even better result thanks to these two.

(186 words)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

Today we will be looking at some of the best producing lines in the SMJHL. I always take a liking to defensive pairs so we will be looking at D pairs. Specifically we will be looking at the St Louis scarecrows 2nd defense pairing. This pairing features Basil Magnicotta on the left and Flash Gordon on the right. This line has 35% ice time percentage. So while its may technically be a 2nd pairing it they are playing as much as the first pair. In 50GP Basil has racked himself up 13 goals and 32 assists making him the league's highest point producing defenseman. A stat behind that surely contributors to this is his amazing 13.27% team shooting percentage. The next player on this pair is flash gordon. He is the yin to Basil yang. While only putting up 10 points this season, flash managed to produce great defensive stats such as the team’s 2nd highest hit count at 58 and the most shots blocked on the team with 60. I would say this line has been put together exactly by the scarecrows coaching staff. We having an offensive juggernaut paired with someone who lets this juggernaut flourish while also being responsible in their own end