Create Account

S49 PT #5: The Meta PT

So as many of you have seen in Izzy's last WFT, the beloved @Mike Izzy is stepping down as PT director after many seasons of dedicated service to the site. I want to personally thank Izzy for all his hard work over the seasons; he's left the department in a position where it'll be extremely easy for me to take things over and I'm adopting a well-oiled machine. If not for this organizational work that Izzy has done, there's no way I would've accepted this position lol.

With that in mind, most things about the PT department are going to stay exactly the same. We have a wonderful team in place ready to rock and roll and we wanna keep things running smoothly.

That said, I want to take this opportunity to hear from you. I'm framing this PT in a positive light, and with the knowledge that not everybody is going to like every PT. It's not possible to make 100+ people happy every time. But that doesn't mean I can't make efforts to please the masses, so enter PT #5: the meta PT.

Task: Choose one of the following options and elaborate in 100+ words. 
I strongly prefer you choose one of options A-C and answer seriously; your feedback will lead to happier yous in the future.

A. What is your favorite type of PT? Backstory-related? Current happenings in the league (e.g., stats and standings)? Prompts about your player as an on-ice figure? Prompts about your player as an off-ice figure? Prompts about other players? (Not looking for specific ideas here, just looking to get a sense of what types of things people like)

B. What is your favorite type of Graphic PT? Do those get stale or should we keep those as is?

C. What is your favorite/most memorable PT from your time on the site?

D. Say 100+ words of nice things about Mike Izzy

Additional Information: You will receive 3 capped TPE for fulfilling all requirements (100 word minimum). 
This PT will close Sunday, September 8th at 10PM ET. 

Welfare claims from either PBE or the NSFL are accepted! *If you’re claiming welfare and have a different username on the affiliate site then you need to state that in your post to get credit.* 

THIS PT IS FOR SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. IT IS NOT FOR SMJHL ROOKIES. 

Any questions/concerns, please PM me. Note: Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019, 02:42 AM by Katth.)

Quote:A. What is your favorite type of PT? Backstory-related? Current happenings in the league (e.g., stats and standings)? Prompts about your player as an on-ice figure? Prompts about your player as an off-ice figure? Prompts about other players? (Not looking for specific ideas here, just looking to get a sense of what types of things people like)

I don't actually have a favourite type of PT that I like to do, perhaps stats/historic events related PT's have a slight edge, but that's because I haven't been around for that long and it's great to read about the SHL's history and legendary players. Another type I quite like is to write about other players and read people write about other players. Those PT's are often some of the funnier ones. I think what's most important in PT's is variation. If all PT's are of the same type it will probably get boring quite fast. So having all kinds of different PT's following up to eachother is in my eyes the best.

Quote:D. Say 100+ words of nice things about Mike Izzy

Not sure if I'm going to make a 100 words, but I'll give it a go. 

As the latest addition to the PT team I entered a team that is well structered and very motivated. One of the main reasons this happened is because of @Mike Izzy. He worked really hard as a PT Director to make life easier for us, but he also worked really hard to improve all player progression assignments and create a higher standard. 

Thanks Izzy!

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

My favorite PT is backstory-related, for sure. I absolutely love the to build my players' backstory and then elaborate through PTs, build on it and just develop my character through media and PT. I like when PTs are more on-ice related, because STHS gives you quite a big number of stats and whatnot to elaborate on and build your legacy. Prompts about other players is also a great way for SMJHL send-downs and rookies to build some relationships with SHL team members, at least that was my case when i got some great guys tagging me on the site doing a PT, and after that we would get talking and i just got to know my future teammates, great stuff.

anyways, best of luck going forward with the position @hotdog, you'll do great!

[Image: ontanis.gif]

[Image: 6by0kBi.png] [Image: YztPk3T.png]
thanks to @Wasty, @Bruins10, @Carpy48 and @iRockstar for the sigs!

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019, 03:12 AM by Tate.)

Option A

So far in my experience I have really enjoyed PT’s that require a fun twist and or a humorous goal to them. The more enjoyable and fun natured the PT the more I find myself  reading the replies by other players. The one PT that stands out to me the most is when we had to make up some kind of food dish for every player and it was so hilarious and interesting to see what other players called each other. There is always a fine line when it comes to humor and what’s appropriate, but I think if we can continue to incorporate more funny themed PT’s the more it will increase involvement and help with morale.

[Image: f7IGJw3.png]
[Image: UFYQyLU.png]

I'm picking option D for the PT, but I'll answer the other options really quickly...

A) I personally prefer the ones that require us to write something about our player (their pet, something they eat, etc) because it doesn't feel as restrictive as ones like "Write a song about your team" (I can't remember exactly what that PT was a few seasons ago).

B) I rarely do graphics, unless it's a simple task like designing a playoff ticket or something.

C) Can't say PTs have ever been very memorable in the long run.

D) Mike Izzy is one of the hardest working members of the site that we have, and his recent dedication to the PT department has provided much needed stability to the role. There was no question that when Izzy took over the position, it was going to give the PT section a new level of integrity. In his time there, the PT system has changed subtly, and for the better in several ways, including a much more consistent schedule of posting/grading. On top of that, Izzy managed to breath some fresh air into a rather stale routine of cookie cutter tasks, and while there were definitely some duds among the offering, I'd rather have a PT director willing to throw some curveballs once in a while, than see the same 5 PTs rolled out each season. Who knows what will be next for Izzy, but congrats to him on a job well done. @Mike Izzy

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019, 10:34 AM by FinnRhys.)

I did A, C and D since I can barely spell graphics or photoshop (maybe someday though).

A. My favorite type of PT are the prompts about other players, although, honestly, I actually haven't had a PT that I didn't like so far. It is fun to integrate other users and include them into random back stories and frankly, including other users in the PT is a relatively low threat way to have some good natured public ribbing.

C. My favorite/most memorable PT so far has been the Big Brothers one. Definitely fun to see the ridiculous things people come up with. Going back to my answer to A, the more I can integrate other users into my back story or storylines the more fun I have. To be fair though, this is my first season of SHL PTs so I have nowhere near the breadth nor depth of PT experiences as some of the older hands but that was my favorite.

D. @Mike Izzy I'm still pretty new to this whole sim hockey thing and still fairly new to the site but dude, you've been absolutely the most consistent part of my experience this far. Every interaction I have had with you has been positive and, as ridiculous as it sounds because I dont actually know you, you have been a great role model for both me as a user and for FR the player. And I know I'm not the only user to feel that way. It is abundantly clear the positive impact you have had on so many people on the site and on the SHL in general. You're one of the old generals that has set the example that we can only attempt to emulate and I look forward to seeing Mike Izzy continue to be a staple not only in the league but for my fantasy team. Seriously though, great work doing a pretty thankless task.

@hotdog good luck and don't fuck it up.

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

Quote:A. What is your favorite type of PT? Backstory-related? Current happenings in the league (e.g., stats and standings)? Prompts about your player as an on-ice figure? Prompts about your player as an off-ice figure? Prompts about other players? (Not looking for specific ideas here, just looking to get a sense of what types of things people like)

No question, my favorite type of point tasks is the backstory driven options. While I’ve not had time in months to just read everyone’s PTs (oh, the days of my media and non-GMing glory….) I really enjoy seeing people’s character development. Some people dial it in, but those who commit to telling a story (myself included) really resonate. Over the last few months, I’ve been building toward something through the off the ice PTs that I’m excited to reveal sometime when the moment is right. The backstory/off the ice options help flush out who these fake people are, and make it feel like the text-based mmorpg the SHL is.

I also enjoy stats based tasks. Make the Case is something I hope continues, as I’m really good digging into the numbers a little bit and arguing.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

My favourite kind of PT is definitely the ones which require a little insight into a player's back story. It gives us an opportunity to be creative and we are able to have a lot of fun with it. I think those are also the easiest ones to complete since you can just sit down and write. I do enough research and looking up of things in my everyday life, it is honestly kind of a pain to go on SHL and look up some stats or historical thing before going out and writing about it. Sometimes I just want my creative juices to flow and let me write something funny or heartwarming.

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

I prefer to talk about actual SHL-related topics. Things that I can go through the index and compare and contrast players, or look at prospects and talk about how one is going to be better than another, or going back in history and talking about old SHL teams or players or specific seasons (like the last PT we did). I am not the kind of person who particularly likes making up random stories that have nothing to do with my player's SHL aspirations because they just seem like pointless filler, and while I understand many people do enjoy them, I see no value in those kinds of PTs. The biggest reason why I don't see the value is because I don't believe that it brings along real discussion or keeps people active. It is just a glorified activity check from my perspective.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

D. Say 100+ words of nice things about Mike Izzy

I came back to the site at the start of the year and I was amazaed of the improvements made over time and one of the first thing that struck me out is wow, that PT guy seems organized and managing this like a pro (like litteraly if he was paid to do it). I was never fond of PTs themselves as they always felt like a chore to me but I could see there was some inspired content and it made it a lot more enjoyable. I want to thank Izzy on for being always dedicated, always on time with PT posting, always rigourous with having the PTs graded and for overall putting a lot of heart into it. I want to tell Izzy that his hard work didn't go unnoticed and that he will always be an appreciated member of the site to me. Also his player is so good I'm pissed when I can't pick him up in fantasy. Thank you for everything and I hope you have success with any project you participate in.

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Quote:A. What is your favorite type of PT? Backstory-related? Current happenings in the league (e.g., stats and standings)? Prompts about your player as an on-ice figure? Prompts about your player as an off-ice figure? Prompts about other players? (Not looking for specific ideas here, just looking to get a sense of what types of things people like)

I think my favorite type of PT's are ones with lots of choice. I normally don't have issues with PT's or WFT until the topic is so narrow that unless you really care about 1 specific thing it becomes a real chore to do. I think promoting fun in PT's is the easiest way to keep the people doing them happy. For example, the last WFT was a weird inside joke about a small subsection of the community and initially I couldn't think of what to put for it. I enjoy things where you give a topic and let us choose from a wide variety of targets. Like talk about 1 player that you think doesn't get the recognition they deserve or who is one teammate you enjoy playing with. These are rather open ended and allow the users to really put as much thought into it as they want. I think prompts about your own player are nice, but can be troublesome if you don't feel they are doing enough to write about. Someone who plays limited 3rd/4th line minutes will have less to write about than someone on the 1st/2nd line with lots of special teams play. I think the key for choosing topics should be looked at from a few different players perspectives. I think broader topics are the way to go as it gives everyone a better shot at writing a good amount about the subject if they want to.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

Quote:B. What is your favorite type of Graphic PT? Do those get stale or should we keep those as is?
I'm pretty fine with most of the Graphic ones. I usually skip them and do the written prompt when I feel the amount of time it would take me to type up the written one is half the time it would take me to do the graphic one. PT #4 I did the graphics option because I really didn't have much to say about records. I will admit, they feel pretty samey at times. Typically its render, related text, and team name. I don't know what you could do otherwise. I really like the jokey ones, and I feel they get more responses that way. I do think that you could probably keep those as is, and everything would be fine.

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019, 10:47 AM by The__Y-man__100.)

What is your favorite type of PT? Backstory-related? Current happenings in the league (e.g., stats and standings)? Prompts about your player as an on-ice figure? Prompts about your player as an off-ice figure? Prompts about other players?

My favorite kind of PT would have to be the one where you can create a story involving your player/other players. Current league stuff is nice because sometimes people are unaware of certain situations that are happening in the league (ex: like why is new England so good this year Tongue ), but i would much rather create a comedic story about my player and add to the wild back story i have already given him. I feel like it almost creates the image that you are writing little chapters of a small book when you do these kinds of PT's. Regardless, good luck with your new role and I'm sure the feedback of this PT will only make things better for next season

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

Code:
A. What is your favorite type of PT? Backstory-related? Current happenings in the league (e.g., stats and standings)? Prompts about your player as an on-ice figure? Prompts about your player as an off-ice figure? Prompts about other players?
My favorite type of PT has to be backstory related prompts. I love talking about what my player does off the ice and world building, so it’s great to talk about where he lives now, where he grew up, how he trained for hockey as a kid, or where he started off working. It’s fun to interweave a story through a series of PTs and to have the opportunity to give Ola Wagstrom interests and a personality. It’s almost like developing a character for a novel; you have total and absolute control over what sort of person your SHL player is off the ice. Stats, you can’t control that so much if you write about that, on-ice performance is fickle with STHS, so I’d have to prefer writing about less hockey related parts of my player’s life. It makes the SHL world seem more realistic and three-dimensional, makes this all a more immersive experience.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

Code:
A. What is your favorite type of PT? Backstory-related? Current happenings in the league (e.g., stats and standings)? Prompts about your player as an on-ice figure? Prompts about your player as an off-ice figure? Prompts about other players? (Not looking for specific ideas here, just looking to get a sense of what types of things people like)

I think this is going to be a tough thing to balance, I prefer talking about my player and my team, and really dont like having to do a bunch of research or talking about teams that I really dont know about, especially with history based prompts. At the same time Im a fairly new member to the site, having only been here less than an IRL year, so history based prompts may appeal more to users that have been around longer and been around in those situations, players like luketd and others on the historian committee, or Esa who is simply an old fuck. Like I said above, youll never be able to get everyones interests in every PT, and most PT's are going to have people say "this pt fucking sucks" but end of the day they have to do it right?

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]