Create Account

S49 PT #5: The Meta PT
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019, 09:31 PM by TheHockeyist. Edit Reason: Typo. )

A. What is your favorite type of PT? Backstory-related? Current happenings in the league (e.g., stats and standings)? Prompts about your player as an on-ice figure? Prompts about your player as an off-ice figure? Prompts about other players? (Not looking for specific ideas here, just looking to get a sense of what types of things people like)

A. I prefer backstory, but I really like writing about Igor both on and off of the ice. I can go on and on about what he'd do in various situations and so on. I never get bored of them and sometimes I like to use them as an opportunity to mess with people's expectations. As for current happenings, I am not too well educated on them, so I usually have to plagiarize or skip them. I can write about my teammates, though. Is there a word count for this?

[Image: x9gTXZa.gif]

S48 Four Star Cup Champion (Vancouver Whalers)

Quote:A. What is your favorite type of PT? Backstory-related? Current happenings in the league (e.g., stats and standings)? Prompts about your player as an on-ice figure? Prompts about your player as an off-ice figure? Prompts about other players? (Not looking for specific ideas here, just looking to get a sense of what types of things people like)

My favorite type of PT would be the ones I can back up with numbers and stats. Most recently would be PT #4 where I got to use the bojo box and back up my points with pure stats. I am not too creative when it comes to writing stories so I tend to lean away from those more creative ones like Big Brother. I do understand, however, we need to appeal to a large variety of people so I think going more diverse and broad rather than narrow and specific would benefit the community as a whole. Oh and that wholesome PT was by far my favorite.

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2019, 08:45 AM by Fantobens.)

A. I don’t have a particular favorite per say, but I can tell you I flat out don’t do ones involving stats or research. Not because I don’t want to but because I don’t have the time to.

I don’t have much time to do point tasks so if I can’t just pull something out of my ass I usually skip it.

I can see how people would like those kind of tasks because if I had the time I would enjoy them too. There are normally one or two of them a season. Which is fine. I’m glad there is a mix of point tasks.

I have a question for you. I see this task is only 100 plus words opposed to 150. Is that going to be a thing? You have my vote if it is. I going to throw some words here at the end. Hope you’re having a great day. Good luck with the position. You will do great. You know, In case I misread it....

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

PBE Affiliation

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

Wow I cannot believe I am doing an SHL PT - I haven't done one of these in a while but I want to do this to give help to the PT team. My personal favorite PT on the ole SHL is all about my own player. My player is something that I know well and going to standings or other stuff or talking about statistics in a league I don't really follow is tough. I like talking about my player either on ice or off ice but definitely prefer to go in to off ice stuff and talking about out of character and background things.

A. What is your favorite type of PT?
I've always enjoyed the "build your lineup" PT's. Whether it be create a line of 3 forwards, 2 defensemen and a goalie from your draft class or all players who missed the playoffs, or even just using two teams in a single playoff matchup or rivalry. They're interesting and by the time you're done you are well over the word limit so you aren't looking to fluff it with a bunch of extra stuff.

B. What is your favorite type of Graphic PT? Do those get stale or should we keep those as is?
I used to do the graphic options quite regularly so I could improve my photoshop skills, but lately I find myself opting for the written options. For the most part the graphic options seem like a bit of stretch, but one I've always enjoyed is the statistical comparison of two players. Typically this is done in the playoffs where we're asked to compare the "best" player of two teams, but I think it could be extended for regular season too. You could compare two skaters from the same draft class, or same team, or even the same player from one season to the next.

C. What is your favorite/most memorable PT from your time on the site?
Jeez this one is tough. I'll have to go with the mount rushmore one. Sadly I was around from the very beginning so I don't know all the builders, but over the last 20+ seasons there are definitely a few familiar faces that keep this league alive and well. It was nice to go through and read everyone's entry and see who they deemed the main contributors to the success of this league.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2019, 02:13 PM by Alex Mack.)

What can I say about Mike Izzy that everyone doesn’t already know or realize? The guy is a class act, from day one he greeted me with open arms, he is the most personable player in the SHL, he puts his heart into everything he does. The man has more knowledge and more capabilities than anyone I know, the only other player I know with talent like his is Esa. The player that would be the complete opposite of Mike Izzy would be that waste of human life WannaBeFinn. Mike not only comes up with amazing WFT PT’s but he’s most helpful as a teammate and a buddy. I don’t know where my career would be without him helping nurture Alex Mack.

[Image: Depositphotos-46829959-original-1024x602.jpg]

Quote:B. What is your favorite type of Graphic PT? Do those get stale or should we keep those as is?

I really like the graphic options for PTs the best, and I tend to like the poster or infographic PTs about stats or standings better than the ones that make me think up stories for my player. It's not too hard or time consuming to look up stats and organize them onto a poster. Even though I know they're not as fun to read as the stories, they do make getting a PT turned in on time a lot easier and I usually enjoy making them. I haven't tired of the graphics options yet and I don't think I will. Hockey card style graphics for PTs are also fun, and again, I like the stat PTs for those.

[Image: 60043_s.gif]
Player Page                Update Thread 
Thank you to @Wasty and @frithjofr for a couple great sigs!

A. What is your favorite type of PT? Backstory-related? Current happenings in the league (e.g., stats and standings)? Prompts about your player as an on-ice figure? Prompts about your player as an off-ice figure? Prompts about other players? (Not looking for specific ideas here, just looking to get a sense of what types of things people like)

My favourite type of PT is related to backstory. Fleshing out my players backstory and behind the scenes work is the most enjoyable. As a semi-active member of the community I don't follow the league close enough to do some of the PTs related to other teams or players. The Big Brother PT for example is what I don't like as I have no idea who the young players in the SMJHL are right now and I have no desire to go do research for that. Maybe it's just me being lazy, but I think it's somewhat justified. Similar to ones that require stats and standings, it requires research. I don't mind those ones as much as they can be interesting a lot of the time.

Player Page --- Update Page
[Image: twils.gif]
Picture credit to Allen, Jenny, enigmatic, Wasty, ckroyal92, 701, and EJ

300+ Career Goals, 750+ Career Points
5th All-Time Goals Scored for WKP,
8th All-Time Goals Scored for SEA/TBB
3rd All-Time in Playoff Points
17th All-Time in Goals

6 Consecutive 50+ Point Seasons, 7 Total
Quote:"idc if ur naked if ur holding that cup" -Jenny

Code:
A. What is your favorite type of PT? Backstory-related? Current happenings in the league (e.g., stats and standings)? Prompts about your player as an on-ice figure? Prompts about your player as an off-ice figure? Prompts about other players?

I think my favorite types of PT are the ones that involve my player's backstory and off the ice life. We get a lot of the simulation of having a professional career through game sims and the management of teams, the draft, the contracts etc, but what really helps expand this league to be something more than just a spreadsheet game is the writing. So anytime we get a chance to write a little bit more about our player and how they got to the league, and what they are doing between games allows us to get creative and immerse ourselves a little bit more into the SHL. So I think those type of PTs add something different and fun to the league.

Mika Kandinsky Stars 

[Image: mika_kandinsky.gif]

Part A:

This one is really easy and how I think most PTs should be. PTs, for the most part, should be fleshing out your character both on and off the ice. When I explain people this site I basically say it's like DnD for hockey and the only way to provide more depth in your characters is in media (or if you are like me with prompts from the PT team). Sure not a lot of people read other peoples PTs and lots of people write garbage just to fill the word count. But in my first year I really enjoyed the smjhl PTs cause they always asked about my character and what he was doing in his life on and off the ice, usually pertaining to the life of an actual hockey player. This was super cool. The focus on real world athlete scenarios and what your player would do for them really fleshes out everything and makes it more fun imo.

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

Option A

Honestly, I do not really particularly enjoy most types of point tasks. This is not the fault of the pt team I just find them all to be mundane chours and nothing can really be done to spice them up. However, the one type of PTs that I do enjoy are the prompts involving my player off the ice. With these you can really be creative and you can use it to really control your players life. Let your imagination run wild and create wild stories for your player. I am not a huge fan of stats based PTs because it’s just not interesting looking and analyzing stats.

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

Option A:

Honestly I love to talk about Jon Forty-One's backstory but it just has not really happened. I put him in a cult with the other league characters I have in other simulation leagues so it would be good to touch on that. Another decent one for me is just basic reacting to the seasons drama or shock standings or even just elborating on how you think your character is doing at the half way point of the season. Such as struggling, over-achieving or just going as expecting. Some people may be involved with drama in character too so it would be easy enough to explore I feel.

[About 110 words]

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Blizzard Now Isaac Forty-One Switzerland

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

09-03-2019, 08:44 AMFantobens Wrote: A. I don’t have a particular favorite per say, but I can tell you I flat out don’t do ones involving stats or research. Not because I don’t want to but because I don’t have the time to.

I don’t have much time to do point tasks so if I can’t just pull something out of my ass I usually skip it.

I can see how people would like those kind of tasks because if I had the time I would enjoy them too. There are normally one or two of them a season. Which is fine. I’m glad there is a mix of point tasks.

I have a question for you. I see this task is only 100 plus words opposed to 150. Is that going to be a thing? You have my vote if it is. I going to throw some words here at the end. Hope you’re having a great day. Good luck with the position. You will do great. You know, In case I misread it....

Sorry to get your hopes up!! It's still going to be 150 in the future; I just made this one 100 in an effort to get genuine thoughts from people instead of droning on saying stuff they don't mean just to meet the word minimum. We'll be back to doing that next season lol

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Personally I've always had a thing for backstory related PTs. Anyone can open the index and check out the stats that are in there, that's just boring to me. I'd rather have the chance to get creative and write about whatever I want within the confines of the point task being presented. The stat based Pts just feel like they're telling me to open the index, pick a random player and just say whatever about them, and that's never really appealed to me. Those things seem like they belong more in championship week as one of the PTs in there, rather than weekly Pts.

Also just wanted to say thanks to @Mike Izzy for always keeping the PTs fresh. Even though people didn't always agree with the types of PTs you were putting out for us each week, it's hard not to say that your take on the point task system was fresh and different than what we had seen previously. Have fun in retirement, you've certainly earned it.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia