Create Account

PT 5 - Highlight Reel

You've done a lot of cool new things this season - what's on your highlight reel?

Written option: Tell us about at least three things on your highlight reel from this season - they don't necessarily have to be things you did on the ice, though of course those are acceptable. Must include 150 words.

Graphic option: Make a graphic of your #1 highlight moment from this season, whatever that may be. Must include a render of some kind (but if that's a Paint stick figure, that works) and be intelligible.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the options, not both.)

Only S49 SMJHL Rookies (S50 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT. If you signed after the trade deadline, that's NOT you.

Do NOT claim TPE for this task until a post has been made in the claim thread.

Deadline:
Sunday, September 8, 10 AM MDT

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

HIGHLIGHT ONE - Donation to Sick Kids Foundation
"Denver Wolfe has always been the guy to give, never to care about receiving so much, and this occasion was special to him. Wolfe had the opportunity due to his change in wealth status to provide a little extra help to a foundation and charity that has blessed his family personally with help and all the tools they needed for a special someone in his immediate family. Because of this, Wolfe went to Sick Kids and personally delivered a check for $100,000, a very large sum but for him, it's priceless, and something he'd never think twice about doing."

HIGHLIGHT TWO - Being Drafted
"For any kid who plays any sport, your dream is to make it big. Some sports have drafts, some sports have imports, however you've got to do it, the goal is to make it to the pros and be good enough to be recognized, and that is exactly what Denver Wolfe did this past season as he was drafted by the Buffalo Stampede after having a mediocre season which surprised a lot of people, but not Denver. He knew if he put forth his best efforts and proved he could be a star, someone would take a shot on him and he was absolutely right. It was one of the best feelings in his mind, and he was just happy to have that done.

HIGHLIGHT THREE - Drastic Improvement Exceeds Expectations
"Denver Wolfe was not very good last year, he's not here to paint a different picture, the facts are facts and those facts show, he just wasn't great. He was a late bloomer from the get-go, he was behind his fellow players who were down in the league and because of this, he struggled. His practice hours, while growing, were not substantial enough to make an impact, and due to this, he got lost in the rubble. This year, Colorado used him a lot more, he exceeded his own expectations as he hit the gym day and night, and because of this, he was 4th in the whole team scoring for total points and this is as a defender, this gives him hope for years to come and made Denver very happy.

Highlight 1- Draft Day

What a great day for the reel considering I didnt do that much on the ice all season. Getting drafted to anchorage was a great time and draft night was incredible with all of the drinking and trying to keep track of where Ferda was that night after his shinanigans.

Highlight 2- Training Camp

Wow that was a good time. Probably the best I looked all season to be honest. Played some really good hockey and developed quicker in that time than I did all season. The boys and the mini fridge had a great time and coach might have gotten mad at us for that but oh well.

Highlight 3- Coming back

Well after a rough start to the season the boys went on a run mid season, myself included with a point scoring streak of 3 games (hey its a lot for me). These were great times and I even scored a goal at the end of that streak. Alas that didnt relly mean much since we lost it again at the end. All in all this streak might have been the run that helped me "breakout" a bit more in the league.

I didnt do much on the ice all season so this is the majority of the things that I had an impact on.

The first highlight of the season was getting drafted. I was really, really excited to be drafted by the Anchorage Armada and I thought it was a highlight but unfortunately, I did not know what I was getting into because it turns out that it was a terrible thing to happen to me.

The second highlight was when I scored my second goal. My first goal was not that interesting but I waited a long time for my second goal. When it finally came I was so happy, it was definitely a highlight for me. Unfortunately, it turns out that the game didn't count and my goal got taken away and I didn't score again for many, many games.

The third highlight was meeting my new best friend Leppy who lets me stay in his basement. He is very nice and he is a much better best friend than my old best friend Hotdog because Hotdog is very mean.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2019, 02:33 PM by puolivalmiste.)

Highlight #1

Being drafted by Vancouver Whalers at #27 was earlier than I thought as I already had seen hints about enforcers being on low demand and on the other hand I had not had any contact with Whalers management.

Highlight #2

We got relatively good start to season and after nine first games our record was 6-3-0. But then we hit losing streak, next nine games we had one overtime loss and 8 regulation losses, that includes few games that our starter goalie got called up. Our management worked bit with our lines and for next thirteen games we went 10-3-0, being part of that turnover and seeing how it affected our locker room was one of greatest experiences of season.

Highlight #3

Game number 123 of season. Halifax takes lead early in first, but then:
2. Vancouver Whalers , Bjorn Leppanen 2 (Marcus Ohlsson 3, Jean-Paul Boivin 4) at 9:54
Later Sami Rieder gets one on power play and we have 2-1 lead. Then in second period:
4. Vancouver Whalers , Bjorn Leppanen 3 (Artem Mozgov 6, Jean-Paul Boivin 5) at 10:16

We win 3-1, I got first star of the game, I had most impressive stats of my career so far with: 2 Goals +0 Assists = 2 Points, +2, 2 Penalty minutes, 2 Shots,  1 Hit,  3 Shots blocked, 15:40 Minutes played, 0:02 PPM, 0:02 PKM.

We had exactly 25 games played, I had 3 goals and 7 assists and season looked to turn out pretty great, little did I know those would be 2 last points for my rookie season making them even more special.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

[Image: P9eRTfd.png]

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

The brightest spot of my season has to be game 102 against the Colorado Raptors. We went up 3-0 in the first period, and the Raptors were relentless for the rest of the game. Somehow, I managed to keep them from scoring for the rest of the game, recording my first and only shutout in the SMJHL. There was a particular stretch of time at the top of the third period where we were hounded in our own end. I let a couple bad rebounds and both of them were retrieved by Colorado players. It was only through the heroic efforts of my teammates that the puck stayed out of the net. The coaches have been hounding me all season about controlling my rebounds, it's possible they were right all the time. One of our centres, Bischoff, came by a couple times at the end of the third to whisper "shutout" in my ear over and over again. I guess, like our locker room, the hockey gods have figured out that they shouldn't take what he says too seriously.

Another memorable moment from this season was my first assist. Stopped the puck behind the net, pass across the blue line, and before I know it the puck is in the back of the net. I've gotten assists before, but the first one at a new level of hockey always feels especially good. I can't wait until one day when I start getting assists in the SHL.

The third best moment of the season came when we put a string of wins together. From game 82 to 112 we won 7 games in a row. Of course, we won almost all the games before and after that streak. Damn, now I've spoiled this highlight reel with bad memories. Blech. Alright bye.

[Image: EsVSFns.png][Image: uzmDXiJ.png]
Sigs by @Carpy48 and @tweedledunn

Highlight number 1: Finally getting the call
Starting my career I had all sorts of people whispering things into my ear. I had people telling me I could go in the first three rounds and I had people saying I was not gonna get drafted at all. I tried my hardest to stay realistic but also optimistic, but that became harder to do as the draft got farther and farther in. I saw more than a hundred picks go past and my name still wasn't getting called, teams started passing and my name still was on the board. And then finally I got a call from the Lethbridge GMs saying they were gonna give me a chance and I told them I would reward their faith in me.

Highlight number 2: First goal
As a defenseman who typically stays at home and tries to just effectively transfer the puck you get used to not scoring. It's not even something you think about, you aren't consumed by "when is my next goal coming". All that being said, it doesn't take away from how sweet it feels when that first one of the season goes in, especially on a new stage.

Highlight number 3: Ending top 10 in rookie scoring
As a first-generation with no real experience, I didn't come in expecting to score a ton of point and have a massive impact. But finishing top 10 for rookie scoring against so many established players made me feel like I have a bright future in the SHL.

[Image: 4bGW0Vw.png]

Joseph Weston's Three Highlight Reel Items

1. If at first you don't succeed...
    Joseph Weston has always been persistent, and in game 209 versus the Detroit Falcons, it paid off. At about fourteen minutes and thirty seconds into the third period, a heavy flurry of shots assaulted the Detroit net, featuring five shots from three Militia players, with the last three by Joseph Weston within four seconds of each other. After the last finally decided to cooperate, the Militia scored their fifth of the game. 

2. Going out with a bang.
    Weston hasn't been fully proud of his season, with too many quiet nights or ones spent in the penalty box for something stupid. However, at the end of the season, Weston made sure to be there when his team needed them. After some heavy shots from the Armada at the legendary Maverick, Weston blocked one, and after a beautiful pass by Michael Fitted, Weston sent the next shot right into the net to tie the game. The Militia would then go on to secure the W, three goals to one, with Weston knowing more was to come despite the end of the regular season.

3. Always room for improvement.
    In an unusual fashion, Weston's third highlight is a broad subversion of the typical beautiful goal or gorgeous pass. Instead, Weston believes his last notable highlight is when he swallowed his ego and reached out to the team for help. Joseph wasn't thrilled with the low amount of production he had early on in the season, and was growing increasingly frustrated as time went on. Eventually, he couldn't take it anymore and reached out to the team management. In the locker room Weston set himself up with a plan thanks to the team GM and his fellow teammates for TPE and player build plans. While no proverbial floodgate opened up on the ice, Weston's performance steadily increased, and he couldn't be more thankful to be a member of the Militia where help is given to those who ask. 

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

HIGHLIGHT ONE - Prospects Game S48
The first Highlight for me was the Prospect Game, where i played for the Mustangs. For me as Person the Games went well, and i could get some experience before the draft. We just get the 3th place in Tenacious Conference, but i get some playing time on the ice with a lot of draft prospects. That was great, also to get in touch with the GM's and the Coaches of the SMJHL League.

HIGHLIGHT TWO - Draft Day
Draft Day was incredible, but got drafted late in the draft. Expected to get a bit higher, but was ok. I got a Team that was willing to draft my, with a great coach with a lot of adviced during the season. I was in front of the tv, was swetting after each round i was not draftet and so lucky when i saw my name on the board. never will forget this day and this emotions after everything was done and i was a member of the colorado raports.

HIGHLIGHT THREE - Get to know other Players
When i got access to the loocker room, and in dacord, it was so much fun to talk with the other players and coaches in the team and from the same country. we had allready some good chats and know eachother after one season as we know us since birth. looking forward to be part of a team with so good and friendly teammates

[Image: sBbbJmN.png]
Thank you @ToeDragon84
[Image: 431fb2-1569327124.png]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first highlight would be the way Alexei approached the draft he did not go in person and in all honesty was not expecting to be drafted yet he still sat there with his parents Vasily and Sophia in their modest home in St. Petersburg to watch the draft. Suddenly before the fifth round of the draft started, he got a call to which his father picked up and confused handed the phone over to Alexei who was surprised to hear, and English-speaking voice ask if he was interested in playing for Montreal. After that everything is history as he was excited and was even more surprised as word quickly spread and local media showed up making him quite the local celebrity before he flew out to Canada with his family to sign his paperwork.

The second highlight would the third game on the Montreal calendar against the Vancouver Whalers where not Alexei showed his amazing talent scoring two goals in the first period with the last goal being on the power play and the game winning goal. Later Alexei would remark in an interview that he hoped his father would not be too upset he didn’t manage to make an assist in the game which led to a chuckle from the interviewer even though it made Alexei look even more miserable.

The third highlight would be Game 113 of the schedule with Montreal versus Lethbridge where a usually calm Alexei found himself infuriated after a rash of penalties in the first period and during the end of his first shift on the second period proceeded to wallop a Lethbridge player leading to him being boxed for a highsticking penalty. One of his more aggressive and last penalties of the season.

[Image: 59270_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png]  [Image: nHs4nH0.png]

[Image: W9GRYn9.jpg]

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

The first big moment of my career was scoring my first goal on my first shift with my first shot of my first game. It was a huge accomplishment to have and something that I'm sure I'll be proud of for the rest of my life. Some of my other big moments this year came off the ice, most specifically when I was first drafted by the Vancouver Whalers with the 10th overall selection this year. The Whalers have been a great home that I've loved to exist in, and so I don't think I would be happier anywhere else other than with my current team mates. Finally, another of my highlights from my rookie campaign was facing off against an old friend of mine in @dynamite Tobias Lindeman when he was picked up by the Anaheim Outlaws and showing him true power since his team stood no match against ours.

[Image: ws92zPV.png]
FIRST SHIFT, FIRST GAME, FIRST SHOT, FIRST GOAL
[img=0x0]https://i.ibb.co/4fx7RqP/first-goal.png[/img]

The first highlight has to be the draft. Being drafted fourth overall is quite an honor. I had my eye on top three, but fourth is still very good. It shows that Montreal has confidence in my player and in me as a user. I really appreciate that.

Next, I’d have to go with Bobby Lane’s first goal of his career. It came in Montreal’s third game of the season, which had Vancouver visiting the Militia. The goal came off of Lane’s only shot in the game. It was a bit meaningless, since it was the last goal Montreal scored in a game they won by two. It was nice to see him get his first so early in the season.

Third, I’d say was game 192 of the regular season. It was a lowlight for the team, losing to Kelowna, 6-2. I feel bad choosing it for that reason, but it was Lane’s first multi-goal game. Even in a loss, I was happy to see Lane score 2 goals.. I would have liked to see a few more of them, but I think this was the only one of the season.

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

Overall the season went relatively well for SMJHL Rookie Akira Ren. While there is always room for improvement, he did have a number of highlights this season:

1) Assisting on the first goal of the season: Akira Ren didn’t take long to get himself his first SMJHL point. In fact he got an assist on the first goal scored by Lethbridge in their opener vs the Vancouver Whalers. He knew it would be a good season after that!

2) Scoring his first goal: While Ren racked up assists, it took him a while to score his first goal. It finally came in game 15 of the regular season against the Colorado Raptors. This was a huge relief for Ren and broke his 15 game goal drought that was weighing on him.

3) Leading Rookie Scoring: His last highlight of the season was when a reporter asked him after the final game of the regular season about how it felt to lead all rookies in scoring. Ren doesn’t pay too much attention to stats so he was surprised and honored to learn he was the top rookie in the SMJHL this year amongst a very talented class.

[Image: 60354_s.gif  ]
[Image: 1yZYUXK.gif]
Sig Credits: Gorlab and Kylrad