Create Account

Cap Recapture

There have been an influx of extremely long contracts lately, and as funny as they are, there's a serious discussion to be had about the effects of these contracts. There currently is no cap on the length of contracts offered to players over 1000 TPE, as defined in the rulebook by the following:

Quote:E. Minimum Contracts/ELC

A player’s minimum contract amount is determined by their TPE total upon signing, as follows:
Tier 6 (1300+ TPE) - $5,000,000
Tier 5 (1000+ TPE) - $4,000,000
Tier 4 (700+ TPE) - $3,000,000
Tier 3 (500+TPE) - $2,000,000
Tier 2 (300+ TPE) - $1,000,000
Tier 1 (<300 TPE) - $500,000
Maximum Contract Lengths based on existing contract tiers
Tiers 1-4: 3 seasons maximum
Tiers 5-6: No maximum length
Hometown discounts
Hometown discounts are available to two active players per team, and may be signed at one tier lower than normal, or two tiers for players over 1300 TPE. Hometown discounts have a maximum contract length of three seasons. Players must have played at least six seasons with that team before they are eligible for a hometown discount. Once a player is eligible for a home town discount, they will always be eligible for that team, even if they leave the team and return later.
If a player with a hometown discount is traded, their contract will count against the new team's cap of two players on a hometown discount. If the new team already has two players on a hometown discount, their contract will be adjusted to the proper amount based on their TPE.
Entry-Level Contracts
ELCs may not be more than 3 seasons.

For those who haven't seen, San Francisco just signed two players to a $420M deal over 69 seasons deal each, which was preceded by a $4M x 15 season deal signed to Flareon in New England. Now, while the contracts are structured so that through the course of their supposed careers none of these three will earn less than $4M a season, these contracts bring to light a few issues with the current contract system.

Currently, there is no penalty for contracts signed where a player retires in the middle of said contract. I mean, let's be honest, shit happens. No one can see the future and sometimes retirement of a player is warranted. However, this issue is one that is seen in every major sports league. Need I remind everyone of the contracts of Rick DiPietro, Alexander Semin, or Bobby Bonilla? Part of long contracts is the risk that comes with them.

One potential for abuse comes at the hands of the players themselves, not so much the GMs. Lets use Flowseidon for instance. Let's say he just decides to stop updating his player, for now, due to issues with management or whatever. Sure, SFP could probably find a suitable trade partner. However, let's say Flowseidon's issue is with the league itself and not a specific team. He comes back every few seasons to update just enough to stay above 155 TPE throughout the latter stages of regression. After reading through the rulebook, there is no cap on the number of seasons someone's player can be active. So, let's assume this league runs another few real-life years into S90. Whoever owns the rights to Jeff Brogen is stuck with an $8M cap hit until Flowseidon decides to retire his player, or S119 comes around, whichever comes first. Sure, the likelihood of this happening is slim to none, but the opportunity is there.

For those of you who are about to say "But Fuzz, that GM can just release his player, this won't ever be an issue." Yes, you're right, they can release his player. But since he was active when he signed the contract, that GM will be stuck with half the original cap hit. You ready to have that $4M hit until S119? That's still ridiculous.

There should either be a limit to the amount of seasons you are able to sign for for every TPE tier, a cap recapture structure, or even better: both. I don't have a suggestion for the max contract lengths (something similar to the NHL's max maybe?), however I do have a suggestion for Cap Recapture (courtesy of someone I will leave unnamed for the time being): the current Cap Recapture structure in the NHL's CBA.

I will now proceed to grab popcorn and watch the shitshow that will be the comments below.

[Image: 60859_s.gif]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

No Fun League

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

abolish the cap, make this a euro league

RETIRED

Cap recapture was meant to punish teams that front-loaded their contracts to an absurd degree, so I do not see this as being the right solution.

I personally think if a GM gives someone a 69 season deal and the player fucks them over, they deserve it to make a player that let them keep them signed for their entire career hate you enough to be that petty.

Now my personal thoughts aside, I think a 20 year max on contracts would be fine to fix this issue if HO thinks that is the case.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Popcorn

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26

GM's gets to make media for additional roster money to spend on players.

RETIRED

09-23-2019, 01:32 PMZombiewolf Wrote: No Fun League

In a league that takes shitposting as serious as it does, it makes no sense that players are able to sign the most ridiculous contracts and teams incur zero penalty for doing so. People get reprimanded for posting a well known copypasta on their friend's media post, but signing for 69 seasons is somehow a thing that we let happen because "well we've got to let fun be a thing"? Come on.

Aleksi Kettu

fwiw, I fully intend on seeing my 15 season deal out to the end, and probably beyond

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

Is the length ridiculous? Yes. But the salary meets the standard. Doesn’t provide a competitive edge, really.

That being said I would support a 15 season cap on Tier 5/6 contracts.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

09-23-2019, 01:34 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: Cap recapture was meant to punish teams that front-loaded their contracts to an absurd degree, so I do not see this as being the right solution.

I personally think if a GM gives someone a 69 season deal and the player fucks them over, they deserve it to make a player that let them keep them signed for their entire career hate you enough to be that petty.

Now my personal thoughts aside, I think a 20 year max on contracts would be fine to fix this issue if HO thinks that is the case.

I mean, you're 100% right. I know that this likely won't ever amount to anything, but if it did, I know the real life equivalent wouldn't be what was implemented. There have been a few people to last up to 20 seasons, and even fewer to last longer. I personally don't see an issue with a 20 season contract, especially if someone is willing to take that risk. But to offer a contract that's over twice as long as anyone has been in league (well, even longer than the league has existed actually) is just a little absurd in my opinion.

Aleksi Kettu

09-23-2019, 01:40 PMFlareon Wrote: fwiw, I fully intend on seeing my 15 season deal out to the end, and probably beyond

Not saying you don't intend to, just used your contract as an example of an outlier. Not many have lasted that long in the league, so it comes with a lot of risk. Was just trying to point out some of the risks and why I personally think there should be a length cap on Tier 5/6 contracts.

Aleksi Kettu

09-23-2019, 01:40 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Is the length ridiculous? Yes. But the salary meets the standard. Doesn’t provide a competitive edge, really.

The salaries are both within the standard and don't provide an edge, correct. I was just trying to provide an example of how one of these contracts could really fuck a team up if things go south. Want to offer a contract that gets you signed as long as the longest tenured player ever? Sure, take the risk. It's on you. Offer a contract longer than the league has even existed??

I don't know what the perfect season cap would be, but I think having no season cap presents a risk that could really screw someone over for a very long time.

Aleksi Kettu

It does ruin the RP factor to a degree. If everyone started doing this it wouldn't look great in my opinion. Contracts should last as long as a player will reasonably expect to be useful to their team.

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

09-23-2019, 01:44 PMFuzzSHL Wrote:
09-23-2019, 01:40 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Is the length ridiculous? Yes. But the salary meets the standard. Doesn’t provide a competitive edge, really.

The salaries are both within the standard and don't provide an edge, correct. I was just trying to provide an example of how one of these contracts could really fuck a team up if things go south. Want to offer a contract that gets you signed as long as the longest tenured player ever? Sure, take the risk. It's on you. Offer a contract longer than the league has even existed??

I don't know what the perfect season cap would be, but I think having no season cap presents a risk that could really screw someone over for a very long time.
I mean, the worst case scenario would be the GM releases these players with a 50% cap penalty for a single season. It’s not like if either of these players were to go completely MIA that SFP would actually be stuck with 60+ seasons of dead weight.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

This.

When i saw the 69 season contracts, i started thinking what a "good" cap would be if we ever had one, and I had 15 seasons in my head as well.

This isn't to say i think SFP did anything wrong mind you.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page