Create Account

Cap Recapture

09-23-2019, 10:24 PMFlowseidon Wrote: @Naosu I think we need to fight because we use the same render

See I wanted to draft naosu and play you together, cause in like NHL 09 or something there was always two Kyle Palmieri's in the fantasy draft and I'd always take both.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

For what it's worth, I'd support a limit on the number of seasons for contracts if there was a push for it. I don't see a need for one with our contract minimum tiers, but I wouldn't fight against a limit. Currently there's no limit though, and I didn't see this as violating the spirit of any rule, so we had some fun with two players who have been with us their whole careers so far and who planned to stay with us their whole careers.

09-23-2019, 10:24 PMFlowseidon Wrote: @Naosu I think we need to fight because we use the same render

It looks like you're using a shaved option so I'm the evil twin with the beard.

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

09-23-2019, 10:44 PMNaosu Wrote:

It looks like you're using a shaved option so I'm the evil twin with the beard.

It depends on which of my rotating sigs you get

though I am jealous you got the 80s night one as you avi

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]

09-23-2019, 10:48 PMFlowseidon Wrote:
09-23-2019, 10:44 PMNaosu Wrote: It looks like you're using a shaved option so I'm the evil twin with the beard.

It depends on which of my rotating sigs you get

though I am jealous you got the 80s night one as you avi

he definitely has you beat on avi for sure

09-23-2019, 01:34 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: Cap recapture was meant to punish teams that front-loaded their contracts to an absurd degree, so I do not see this as being the right solution.

I personally think if a GM gives someone a 69 season deal and the player fucks them over, they deserve it to make a player that let them keep them signed for their entire career hate you enough to be that petty.

Now my personal thoughts aside, I think a 20 year max on contracts would be fine to fix this issue if HO thinks that is the case.

Exactly this, cap recapture penalties are literally calculated as the difference between the actual dollar amount paid to a player and the amount of cap-hit that was used during the time they played. If the dollar amount is more than the cap-hit a recapture penalty is applied.

The SHL doesn't use AAV, the amount of money that is paid to a player is the cap-hit for that season. We could add cap recapture penalties but it would be literally impossible to sign a contract that would cause it to apply.

(I'm sure I don't have to tell you this ArGar, just building off what you said)

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

09-23-2019, 10:14 PM39alaska39 Wrote: “Inactive players can be released from their contract with no penalty to the releasing team.”

So I think this is an interesting point. While I think this is in place so that you can sign people to fill roster spots, it does open the door for there to be no risk in situations where ridiculously long contracts are signed. There’s is a lot of this site that needs to be for fun, but this looks like a gap in that system where GMs don’t be have any incentive not to sign these deals really. Don’t think that any of the long recent contracts, be it Flareon, Infidel, Vin or Flow, were examples of GMs taking advantage of players though

Quote:"Active" and "inactive" contracts are defined at the time the contract is signed, not when the player is released.

Inactive players can only be signed and extended for 1 season deals. The only way a long contract can be ended prematurely with no damage on the budget is if the player retire. If the guy goes inactive next season, the team is screwed

Walks into thread

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4492135]

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2019, 06:09 AM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

Kinda funny to see this make a comeback after so many years, not to gain a competitive advantage like the last time but because "hihi, we so memey and original", even though it has all been done a dozen times already . Like others in here, I don't like the immersion breaking aspect of it and wouldn't be against a rule preventing this stuff in the future, but I know people have different approaches to that aspect of the league and many don't mind it. But then again I think people will grow tired of it quite quickly anyway because these kinds of contracts lose their appeal pretty quickly anyway once they aren't something special anymore but just a somewhat sad attempt to get some attention.

09-24-2019, 05:48 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Kinda funny to see this make a comeback after so many years, not to gain a competitive advantage like the last time but because "hihi, we so memey and original", even though it has all been done a dozen times already . Like others in here, I don't like the immersion breaking aspect of it and wouldn't be against a rule preventing this stuff in the future, but I know people have different approaches to that aspect of the league and many don't mind it. But then again I think people will grow tired of it quite quickly anyway because these kinds of contracts lose their appeal pretty quickly anyway once they aren't something special anymore but just a somewhat sad attempt to get some attention.

This is the hottest take in the thread for sure.

Seems people either bitch that contracts are all too similar and everyone takes minimum and it's no fun, then other people bitch that contracts should be the exact same as the NHL and we should forego any fun we might have if it would go against the way the NHL does things. I can count on one hand the number of times I've given someone a contract longer than 3 seasons, so sorry I ruined your immersion in this fantasy hockey world with my bit of fun.

How about this? If teams aren't breaking rules, breaking the functionality of the league, breaking the spirit of rules, then let's just stop trying to police every little fucking thing on this site. God. I was trying to just ignore all this stuff, but these comments about realism are so fucking sad.

09-24-2019, 07:41 AMGrapehead Wrote:
09-24-2019, 05:48 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Kinda funny to see this make a comeback after so many years, not to gain a competitive advantage like the last time but because "hihi, we so memey and original", even though it has all been done a dozen times already . Like others in here, I don't like the immersion breaking aspect of it and wouldn't be against a rule preventing this stuff in the future, but I know people have different approaches to that aspect of the league and many don't mind it. But then again I think people will grow tired of it quite quickly anyway because these kinds of contracts lose their appeal pretty quickly anyway once they aren't something special anymore but just a somewhat sad attempt to get some attention.

This is the hottest take in the thread for sure.

Seems people either bitch that contracts are all too similar and everyone takes minimum and it's no fun, then other people bitch that contracts should be the exact same as the NHL and we should forego any fun we might have if it would go against the way the NHL does things. I can count on one hand the number of times I've given someone a contract longer than 3 seasons, so sorry I ruined your immersion in this fantasy hockey world with my bit of fun.

How about this? If teams aren't breaking rules, breaking the functionality of the league, breaking the spirit of rules, then let's just stop trying to police every little fucking thing on this site. God. I was trying to just ignore all this stuff, but these comments about realism are so fucking sad.

I think @charlieconway put it quite nicely, it's about immersion. Some people aren't fans of 69-year contracts and players called Poopy McPoopface whereas others don't mind or actually see this as part of the fun. Just different approaches and we probably need both points of view in this league, even if I think that this particular thing is stupid. And just like Charlie, I don't want to police this and punish anyone for the contract shenanigans either, I just think for the future we'd be better off without it.

09-24-2019, 08:03 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
09-24-2019, 07:41 AMGrapehead Wrote: This is the hottest take in the thread for sure.

I think @charlieconway put it quite nicely, it's about immersion. Some people aren't fans of 69-year contracts and players called Poopy McPoopface whereas others don't mind or actually see this as part of the fun. Just different approaches and we probably need both points of view in this league, even if I think that this particular thing is stupid. And just like Charlie, I don't want to police this and punish anyone for the contract shenanigans either, I just think for the future we'd be better off without it.

To me the immersion argument is pretty bs. This is a game, we all know it's a game, and we all have to suspend our disbelief to some extent. Some people don't like novelty player names, some people don't like contracts that are longer than 10 seasons, some people don't like players playing in junior for 4 seasons, some people don't like teams existing in "non-traditional" markets, some people don't like a format where every team makes the playoffs, some people don't like a format where any team misses the playoffs, some people don't like any given aspect of our league. We're all here to live out some hockey fantasy, but if your fantasy requires this world of ours to function as a mirror of the NHL then you're going to have a bad time. Immerse yourself in the SHL, but realize that your fantasy may conflict with someone else's fantasy, and arguing that people shouldn't be allowed to do something simply on the basis that it makes this feel less real to you is strange.

09-24-2019, 08:23 AMGrapehead Wrote:
09-24-2019, 08:03 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: I think @charlieconway put it quite nicely, it's about immersion. Some people aren't fans of 69-year contracts and players called Poopy McPoopface whereas others don't mind or actually see this as part of the fun. Just different approaches and we probably need both points of view in this league, even if I think that this particular thing is stupid. And just like Charlie, I don't want to police this and punish anyone for the contract shenanigans either, I just think for the future we'd be better off without it.

To me the immersion argument is pretty bs. This is a game, we all know it's a game, and we all have to suspend our disbelief to some extent. Some people don't like novelty player names, some people don't like contracts that are longer than 10 seasons, some people don't like players playing in junior for 4 seasons, some people don't like teams existing in "non-traditional" markets, some people don't like a format where every team makes the playoffs, some people don't like a format where any team misses the playoffs, some people don't like any given aspect of our league. We're all here to live out some hockey fantasy, but if your fantasy requires this world of ours to function as a mirror of the NHL then you're going to have a bad time. Immerse yourself in the SHL, but realize that your fantasy may conflict with someone else's fantasy, and arguing that people shouldn't be allowed to do something simply on the basis that it makes this feel less real to you is strange.

And I think a 69 (hihi) year contract for 420M (hihihi) is pretty bs and if your fantasy and enjoyment of the league requires getting cheap attention through stuff like this that is is neither particularly new nor creative then I find that strange as well.

The thing is, none of this is new, we've gone through this whole thing before. So while for you it might be memey and cool, for others it's just lame not because of the immersion but because almost the exact same thing has already happened. People trying to outdo each other by signing longer and longer contracts, from 15 seasons to 69 to 1000, choosing stupid monetary value and pointless clauses that actually create extra work for the budget people, and then growing tired of it quite quickly and so the whole things dies down again because the third thousand year contract doesn't bring you as much attention as the first.

At the end of the day, there isn't really an "objective" answer to this anyway. I think it's stupid, you don't, case closed.

I do think that this kind of contract does break the immersion in a sense.

HOWEVER

I do not think that people really pay enough attention to contracts to where this is going to be a huge deal. After this season nobody is going to remember the deal and it will be completely forgotten. I get how it seems right now, but we have always had fluctuations of contracts. I took a pretty long-term deal back before we had contract tiers and even I forgot how long it was within a couple seasons.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

09-24-2019, 09:26 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
09-24-2019, 08:23 AMGrapehead Wrote: To me the immersion argument is pretty bs. This is a game, we all know it's a game, and we all have to suspend our disbelief to some extent. Some people don't like novelty player names, some people don't like contracts that are longer than 10 seasons, some people don't like players playing in junior for 4 seasons, some people don't like teams existing in "non-traditional" markets, some people don't like a format where every team makes the playoffs, some people don't like a format where any team misses the playoffs, some people don't like any given aspect of our league. We're all here to live out some hockey fantasy, but if your fantasy requires this world of ours to function as a mirror of the NHL then you're going to have a bad time. Immerse yourself in the SHL, but realize that your fantasy may conflict with someone else's fantasy, and arguing that people shouldn't be allowed to do something simply on the basis that it makes this feel less real to you is strange.

And I think a 69 (hihi) year contract for 420M (hihihi) is pretty bs and if your fantasy and enjoyment of the league requires getting cheap attention through stuff like this that is is neither particularly new nor creative then I find that strange as well.

The thing is, none of this is new, we've gone through this whole thing before. So while for you it might be memey and cool, for others it's just lame not because of the immersion but because almost the exact same thing has already happened. People trying to outdo each other by signing longer and longer contracts, from 15 seasons to 69 to 1000, choosing stupid monetary value and pointless clauses that actually create extra work for the budget people, and then growing tired of it quite quickly and so the whole things dies down again because the third thousand year contract doesn't bring you as much attention as the first.

At the end of the day, there isn't really an "objective" answer to this anyway. I think it's stupid, you don't, case closed.

How does your head not explode from being so uptight?