Create Account

S50 Top-100 SHL Players

You've got to love TPE non-correlation to being good player with STHS. Still good read as always!

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

09-24-2019, 03:52 AMmajesiu Wrote: You've got to love TPE non-correlation to being good player with STHS. Still good read as always!

Add more to fighting

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

Big jump for Leitner and Ulrich Wolfpack

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

09-23-2019, 05:14 PMBoucherFan12 Wrote: Kristaps Ball is put in twice :p

Also, how is this calculated; and how does the grade correlate to the numbers the player got in each season?

There are a number of voters who list 100 players in order. Their no. 1 player receives 100 points and each receives 1 less down to 1 at their 100th player. Each player gets the average of their scores and is ranked by it.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

09-24-2019, 05:25 AMFordyford Wrote:
09-23-2019, 05:14 PMBoucherFan12 Wrote: Kristaps Ball is put in twice :p

Also, how is this calculated; and how does the grade correlate to the numbers the player got in each season?

There are a number of voters who list 100 players in order. Their no. 1 player receives 100 points and each receives 1 less down to 1 at their 100th player. Each player gets the average of their scores and is ranked by it.

That's not how it works. The spreadsheet has all the players submitted. Next step is for all the graders to look at each player and put a score between 40-99 based on last three seasons performance.
See below.

[Image: Screenshot_20190924-121147__01.jpg]

As you can see theres only spots for a certain amount of players in each category. The grading differ from each person ofc. Some people thinks hits are important, some don't.

When all lists are submitted an average is created for each player and the top list is created.

RETIRED

09-24-2019, 04:11 AMToeDragon84 Wrote:
09-24-2019, 03:52 AMmajesiu Wrote: You've got to love TPE non-correlation to being good player with STHS. Still good read as always!

Add more to fighting

Yup those 12 points that I didn't redistribute with regression incoming are certainly game changer.

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

Yeehaw

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

The one thing I've never understood about the top 100 list is that even though it says the last 3 seasons are to be considered, how does someone go from completely outside the top 100 to inside the top 50 for their first appearance? If the committee didn't feel that in the seasons before this they should be in the top 100 at all, shouldn't that play into the way they are ranked now?

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

09-24-2019, 09:03 AM39alaska39 Wrote: The one thing I've never understood about the top 100 list is that even though it says the last 3 seasons are to be considered, how does someone go from completely outside the top 100 to inside the top 50 for their first appearance? If the committee didn't feel that in the seasons before this they should be in the top 100 at all, shouldn't that play into the way they are ranked now?

Technically we could smash the last three seasons average in and just do the top of the season lists instead. It might be more fair.

The way I do it is kinda tedious but i have the last three ballots open, the last three seasons and I go through the stats and try to project a trajectory in the last three seasons. Sometimes you get to the point though where a bracket of 86-90 players are full and you have to start fidgeting around to get people in our out.

RETIRED

09-24-2019, 09:03 AM39alaska39 Wrote: The one thing I've never understood about the top 100 list is that even though it says the last 3 seasons are to be considered, how does someone go from completely outside the top 100 to inside the top 50 for their first appearance? If the committee didn't feel that in the seasons before this they should be in the top 100 at all, shouldn't that play into the way they are ranked now?

What is frustrating for me as the person who has tried to find the most fair balance for players and their projected worth going forward is people look at this and judge players in a vacuum. "Well I improved by X but I went down 10 spots, that isn't fair." The problem is that you cannot just judge a player based on their own performance by itself. The average in scoring fluctuates, some players are on a downward spiral and it leaves openings for multiple players to jump up, some players have really really good singular seasons which bring them up, or potentially there are bad seasons by a player that are no longer considered because now they have put together a solid string of seasons.

You are also going to see bigger swings when we have very few votes to average out more drastic voting differences. With only four voters that isn't going to be averaged out enough.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

09-24-2019, 09:24 AMArGarBarGar Wrote:

What is frustrating for me as the person who has tried to find the most fair balance for players and their projected worth going forward is people look at this and judge players in a vacuum. "Well I improved by X but I went down 10 spots, that isn't fair." The problem is that you cannot just judge a player based on their own performance by itself. The average in scoring fluctuates, some players are on a downward spiral and it leaves openings for multiple players to jump up, some players have really really good singular seasons which bring them up, or potentially there are bad seasons by a player that are no longer considered because now they have put together a solid string of seasons.

You are also going to see bigger swings when we have very few votes to average out more drastic voting differences. With only four voters that isn't going to be averaged out enough.

What do you think would be the optimal number of voters?

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia

09-24-2019, 09:30 AMGrapehead Wrote:
09-24-2019, 09:24 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: What is frustrating for me as the person who has tried to find the most fair balance for players and their projected worth going forward is people look at this and judge players in a vacuum. "Well I improved by X but I went down 10 spots, that isn't fair." The problem is that you cannot just judge a player based on their own performance by itself. The average in scoring fluctuates, some players are on a downward spiral and it leaves openings for multiple players to jump up, some players have really really good singular seasons which bring them up, or potentially there are bad seasons by a player that are no longer considered because now they have put together a solid string of seasons.

What do you think would be the optimal number of voters?

Over 6. Ideally 8 which really gives a better sample size.

Hard to get people to volunteer though. Going through 140+ players every offseason and grading them is a pain in the ass to work through.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

09-24-2019, 09:31 AMArGarBarGar Wrote:
09-24-2019, 09:30 AMGrapehead Wrote: What do you think would be the optimal number of voters?

Over 6. Ideally 8 which really gives a better sample size.

Hard to get people to volunteer though. Going through 140+ players every offseason and grading them is a pain in the ass to work through.

We even get paid! It's a good gig, and I know there are people on this site who enjoy doing this type of thing. It's crazy you don't have a waiting list of applicants.

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia

09-24-2019, 09:36 AMGrapehead Wrote:
09-24-2019, 09:31 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: Over 6. Ideally 8 which really gives a better sample size.

We even get paid! It's a good gig, and I know there are people on this site who enjoy doing this type of thing. It's crazy you don't have a waiting list of applicants.

It is fun indeed! This and Fantasy is really the only site job I could stomach

RETIRED

09-24-2019, 06:16 AMMayuu Wrote:
09-24-2019, 05:25 AMFordyford Wrote: There are a number of voters who list 100 players in order. Their no. 1 player receives 100 points and each receives 1 less down to 1 at their 100th player. Each player gets the average of their scores and is ranked by it.

That's not how it works. The spreadsheet has all the players submitted. Next step is for all the graders to look at each player and put a score between 40-99 based on last three seasons performance.
See below.

[Image: Screenshot_20190924-121147__01.jpg]

As you can see theres only spots for a certain amount of players in each category. The grading differ from each person ofc. Some people thinks hits are important, some don't.

When all lists are submitted an average is created for each player and the top list is created.

So what do the numbers next to each season represent and what does the grade under the name represent? The number of votes? The averaged grade they got?

[Image: BoucherFan12.gif]

[Image: benzeev.gif]

06-11-2021, 05:33 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: [Image: BLUE.jpeg]
Welcome to the hall, Ben!