Simulation Hockey League
bukss_a suspension - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+---- Forum: Suspensions/Punishments (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=226)
+---- Thread: bukss_a suspension (/showthread.php?tid=80238)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- Grapehead - 10-23-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Dangles13@Oct 23 2017, 08:41 AM

I wasn't ok with the comment. I don't like people saying stuff like "that's actually what he believes". If that is what he believes then we cannot tell him that is wrong.

As per Merriam-Webster a bigot is:

Homosexuality has often been negatively viewed by certain religions. If bukks belongs to one of those religions then we can't persecute his beliefs. We can however work towards stopping those comments from being said. I'm not trying to defend bukks in any way here. I just don't like that we as people tell someone that their opinion is wrong because it isn't the same as theirs.
I don't think you know what persecution is... But the definition of bigot is spot on. I get what you're trying to say but it's irrelevant because we aren't trying to force him to live in a cave as he would like to do to gay people Wink seems like defending this is a waste of your effort. By the way he isn't religious so just let that go lol

- RomanesEuntDomus - 10-23-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Dangles13@Oct 23 2017, 01:54 PM

Right. That is what I'm getting at. We can absolutely focus what someone says or how they carry themselves. We shouldn't allow the words to be said or certain actions to be taken but we can't change tell him to change his opinion or beliefs.

Obviously we can't force him to change his beliefs, but we can absolutely tell him that those beliefs aren't acceptable in this community. He still has plenty of options, he can change his beliefs, keep them to himself, or leave.

- Dangles13 - 10-23-2017

Quote:Originally posted by RomanesEuntDomus@Oct 23 2017, 07:01 AM

Obviously we can't force him to change his beliefs, but we can absolutely tell him that those beliefs aren't acceptable in this community. He still has plenty of options, he can change his beliefs, keep them to himself, or leave.
That is perfect. I am looking more towards other situations that arise in the future, not this specific incident.

- Waters - 10-23-2017

Quote:Originally posted by SethTrollins@Oct 23 2017, 08:50 AM

But we can because if we allow people like him to spout such nonsense then it runs the risk of becoming accepted. A person can believe what they want but when something so disdainful is said then it must be challenged otherwise we become just as bad as them through inaction.
This is the thought process of countless known dictators throughout history. We can't condemn erdogan and maduro with one breath and then vouch for censoring with the next.

- Waters - 10-23-2017

We can ban him and send the message that his comments are absolutely not acceptable im this forum but we cant condemn what he believes unless we're hypocrites, IMO. It's free speech or not. Not free speech except for stuff we don't agree with.

We need to send the message that what's not ok in most of north american society is not ok here.

Quote:Originally posted by Waters@Oct 23 2017, 02:10 PM
We can ban him and send the message that we dont agree with him on this forum but we cant condemn what he believes unless we're hypocrites, IMO. It's free speech or not. Not free speech except for stuff we don't agree with.

We are not a government that is taking away someones right to express himself, we are a private community whose people have decided that they don't want to accept this kind of ideology around here.

- Waters - 10-23-2017

Quote:Originally posted by RomanesEuntDomus@Oct 23 2017, 09:13 AM

We are not a government that is taking away someones right to express himself, we are a private community whose people have decided that they don't want to accept this kind of ideology around here.
Fair enough. Im speaking on more our society as a whole, but you are right, we absolutely do have the right to condemn his comments.

Quote:Originally posted by Waters@Oct 23 2017, 02:16 PM

Fair enough. Im speaking on more our society as a whole, but you are right, we absolutely do have the right to condemn his comments.

Oh yeah then you are right, it definitely doesn't help to just shun people with these opinions altogether. But then again, in this day and age with everyone having the chance to express himself on the internet, we are constantly surrounded by a storm of bullshit and terrible, extremist ideologies, at some point you have to isolate yourself from them and block out most of it or you'll go insane.

- WannabeFinn - 10-23-2017

There's only one thing the Head Office can really do to punish a disorderly Latvian

and that involves Chris Crutchfield eating every single potato in bukss_a's possession

while Avakael films it

"Croiky mate that's a ton of starches" - Avakael, probably

- SethTrollins - 10-23-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Waters@Oct 23 2017, 02:08 PM
This is the thought process of countless known dictators throughout history. We can't condemn erdogan and maduro with one breath and then vouch for censoring with the next.

And his opinion is a step or two away from mass genocide.

I fail to see how stopping abuse towards a section of society is the action of a dictator. I understand censorship but that's not what I'm trying to achieve here, rather I want real punishment for this offence because this has been pathetically weak. If it was a comment about race then he'd have been permanently banned in days, not suspended after almost two weeks.

This isn't censorship, it's about making people with damaging beliefs reevaluate their views because they simply do not mesh with this community and, in many cases, with western society on the whole. This punishment has failed to do that. Obviously he's unlikely to change his opinion after one perma ban on a forum but at least the message is out there that this behaviour has no place here.

[Image: lHek8MD.jpg?1]

- LB. - 10-23-2017

Quote:Originally posted by WannabeFinn@Oct 23 2017, 04:28 PM
There's only one thing the Head Office can really do to punish a disorderly Latvian

and that involves Chris Crutchfield eating every single potato in bukss_a's possession

while Avakael films it
go to hell

- Phobospwns - 10-23-2017

Really I think this whole thing has shown the disrespect for caves that's out there. Caves don't have to be shitty, ya know. They could be lavish kick ass. In that case, going back to them wouldn't be so bad, would it?

#AllCavesMatter

- Grapehead - 10-23-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Phobospwns@Oct 23 2017, 09:54 AM
Really I think this whole thing has shown the disrespect for caves that's out there.  Caves don't have to be shitty, ya know.  They could be lavish kick ass.  In that case, going back to them wouldn't be so bad, would it?

#AllCavesMatter
You might be on to something here... High end caves are going to be trending in 2018 just watch