Simulation Hockey League
Weekend Funtime: Second Round - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: Weekend Funtime: Second Round (/showthread.php?tid=78957)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- Jenny - 09-17-2017

Quote:Originally posted by ej27@Sep 17 2017, 08:04 PM

I think at this point, the entire team probably thrives on the stress of playoff hockey. I'm sure Lauks is no different. If it comes down to a goalie showdown, who do you think will take it? And what is Mia doing to prepare the team? Any big speeches? How many rookies does she have this ssn?

That's real. idk, I think Laukkanen has taken it in the past and has experience to be able to do it again. Mia isn't one for speeches, per se, she prefers to talk to everyone individually and see how they're doing so the LR hype speech can be short and simple. she's got three rooks this season, i think, all forwards, and she def makes sure to talk to them especially.

- Loco - 09-17-2017

raiders go raiders raiders

- Kylrad - 09-17-2017

Out of the four goaltenders left standing, which one will have to put up the biggest individual performance for their team to make it to the Challenge Cup finals?

Out of the remaining teams in the playoffs the Chiefs are probably pretty clearly the weakest overall. However they do have quite a solid goalie in Robert Andersson who has shown he can single handedly win games. So far this playoffs hes been just ok, but if the Chiefs want to get past the powerhouse that is the Wolfpack he'll have to put up a big performance.

- DeletedAtUserRequest - 09-18-2017

- The third-seed Renegades are up against the conference champions in Calgary. Will they be able to surprise and knock the Dragons out, and if so, which member of the team will have to step up to the plate the most to make it happen?

I think these 2 teams with New England are the 3 best teams in the league. hard to call a team with this much talent an underdog... if they win.. it dont think 'shock' would be the feeling most had. I see Calgary winning, but this should be a dog fight of a series. Def. one to watch.

- O4L - 09-18-2017

Out of the four goaltenders left standing, which one will have to put up the biggest individual performance for their team to make it to the Challenge Cup finals?

Out of the four remaining team's I think it's pretty clear that Andersson will have to put up the best performance to get his team to the finals, the Chiefs finished with the lowest amount of points out of the four remaining teams during the regular season and also had the lowest goal total. Despite that Andersson still led the league in both GAA and SVP, he will need to put up similar numbers going forward in the play-offs if he hopes to carry his team to the finals.

- MWHazard - 09-18-2017

- New England stormed through the first round and dethroned the defending Cup champions. Will they be able to ride their momentum all the way to another Challenge Cup?

New England's as good as ever, and despite their hangups this season, they're hitting their stride at the right time. I think they will be in the Challenge Cup Finals for sure. Whether they win it or not is a harder question, as I think Calgary and Texas (and the teams they beat in the first round) are all deadly.

- The third-seed Renegades are up against the conference champions in Calgary. Will they be able to surprise and knock the Dragons out, and if so, which member of the team will have to step up to the plate the most to make it happen?

Texas knocking out Calgary wouldn't be a surprise. All four Western playoff teams had fantastic seasons and all are tough outs. Texas winning would be a very slight upset at the most. I think if Georgette Pel can step up, they'll get it done.

- Out of the four goaltenders left standing, which one will have to put up the biggest individual performance for their team to make it to the Challenge Cup finals?

Pel I mentioned above. But Hunter Wong still needs to demonstrate they've got enough in the tank to hold down the fort. Calgary could stumble if Wong doesn't have it. I still think overall, Minnesota faces the toughest road to the finals, as New England is peaking. Andersson is such a good player that if he's putting up a big series, Minnesota could have a great shot to make the finals. I think it's necessary for him to do so if they're going to.

- Out of the four teams eliminated so far, which is most likely to break through to the second round next season, and why?

Biased answer but Winnipeg nearly pipped the Dragons for the President's Trophy. Regression will not hit too hard, and they have four players from S31 or younger above 1200 TPE. They could add more of those in FA. The Jets are on the rise.

- mstuk41 - 09-18-2017

- New England stormed through the first round and dethroned the defending Cup champions. Will they be able to ride their momentum all the way to another Challenge Cup?

Honestly I don't think momentum as anything to do with how games are won in the SHL. It's 100% random, yes New England has a fantastic team, and as good of a chance to win it as anyone, but it will be because they are better than the teams they are playing, and the position their coaches have set for them, rather than momentum of a first round win.

These two teams are very evenly matched, with Calgary having a better stable of forwards, while Texas is dominate on the back line. It won't be a surprise either way this series turns out. Texas was the 3rd best team overall in the regular season, but just had to play in a division that has great teams. If they move on, it will be because their defensive core and Georgette Pel shut down Calgary's high scoring offense.

- Out of the four goaltenders left standing, which one will have to put up the biggest individual performance for their team to make it to the Challenge Cup finals?

Hunter Wong is going to have to make up for Calgary's lack of top end talent on the back line. They can outscore teams, but in the playoffs it is a lot tougher to get those breaks that lead to easy scoring opportunities. With Wong playing at the top of his game, Calgary will be the favorite to move onto the Finals.

- Out of the four teams eliminated so far, which is most likely to break through to the second round next season, and why?

Winnipeg had a great regular season, and got out to a lead in the series against Texas in the first round. I see them breaking thru next year in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Honestly, I could also see Seattle breaking thru next season as well. The west is so evenly matched that on any given night any team, outside of Portland has a shot to make a run.

- prettyburn - 09-18-2017

I think they're the favorite to make it out of the East, although beating the Western champion will be difficult. People are talking about the Pack's win as "dethroning the champions", but over the past handful of seasons the Pack has consistently beat the Stars out in the post-season, so it doesn't seem at all strange to me that they've managed to do so again - the Pack is still a championship caliber team, even if they've taken a step back from their previous high points, and while it took them awhile to find their footing this season I think discounting them based on early season losses would be foolish.

Both these teams great seasons, extremely close in the standings, so it's hard to claim that a team winning is a "surprise" when they beat out another team who was only three points above them in the standings in the regular season. Texas absolutely can win this series, especially if Pel really steps up in goal - so far, she's continued to do enough, as she did in the regular season, but if she can find the star power within her this could be a smooth ride for Texas.

I think the focus is on the western goalies, both of whom have things to prove. Hunter Wong, for Calgary, has had some great years with the team, but he's starting to get older and has to show that he's still has what it takes to be a starter. Georgette Pel, conversely, is just getting a chance to show that she can take over the starting role, and this is her chance to really prove herself as a star goalie. Neither netminder had great individual stats in the regular season - while they're GAA were good, their SV % left something to be desired. They have to show that their not just solid goalies with good defense ahead of them.

Winnipeg had a really good season, and just had the misfortune of being in the extremely tight Western conference this season. They lost in a tough series to Texas, who they were neck and neck with all season, and it's easy to believe that they could go further or even all the way next season. Especially considering that they were a lottery team last season, if they can improve at all over the offseason they'll be scary next season.

- gfridge - 09-18-2017

The Jets, fsho. Obviously getting the Manius back is going to help, but I think we had a great S36 draft and those investments are going to start paying off next year. We should see some better depth throughout the lineup and that'll make a pretty big difference. I think we're close to the tipping point, and when you get deep enough in the playoffs anything can happen (especially with STHS....)

- hockeyis66 - 09-18-2017

--they were the hottest team down the stretch in the league and won their first three against Toronto before dropping two in a row and then closed the series out in game 6. minny is not going to be a push over and New England is going to roll 3 lines at them constantly that can hit and score and if New England plays their game, they should be able to make it to the finals again

--even though the renegade defense is solid, Calgary's forwards are too talented not to get their chances, so its going to be up to pel to make the big saves at the key moments to hold the dragons in check

--definitely Andersson of Minnesota. he is going to face a ton of shots and the wolfpack will be controlling the puck in the chiefs zone for a good part of the game. with the wolfpack rolling multiple lines and their defense getting involved in the offense a lot also, Andersson will be under a lot of pressure to keep the wolfpack from scoring more than 2-3 goals a game and giving the chiefs a chance to win.

--the jets are. they have a great goalie in berger who will just be hitting his first year of regression and have some great forwards in visser, fleming, bears, evans, Pellegrino that mix youth and vets. the defense is still solid in manious, weber, hale and roberston. the west is so competitive each season that any of the favorites could be out in the first round to any of the other teams since the talent levels are so close to each other.

- ToeDragon84 - 09-18-2017

New England will probably win the cup cause god is very upset with Chris Crutchfield. I don't even know what momentum means, the Wolfpack won't need it though, they have a greater power on their side heading head into their next game up 2 to none.

Yee they look like they're doing it taking the first two road games, going on a six game win streak. I say it's all been Zanarkand Abes pulling the chain, one of the most talented players buried on the third line in the entire SHL. He's currently scoring at a 1.09 P/20 pace, which has him among the best in the post-season. Abes has also scored on 20% of his shots which he can definitely keep up if the team keeps winning.

Wong seems like the answer between CAL and MIN goalies at this point being nearly half the TPE as Andersson and not having a star defender in front of him like Garbanzo. The Dragons do have great defensive forwards, but Texas has exploited a weak right side on the back end for Calgary.

Toronto is the only team with a player like Reed Laing on the rise, they also have Chris York who's like the same, but different y'kno. Those two can keep pushing them forward from here There's also Teddy Kesler coming on strong who'll be able to grow into a big player by the next post-season.

- Shmurph - 09-18-2017

A lot of people see New England already in the Challenge Cup finals without resistance but I see them hitting a wall. A wall named Andersson. maybe it's because I'm a prospect of the chiefs or because I'm crazy, but I really believe that Andersson will stand high and steady in the way of the Wolfpack, with the help of Garbanzo, Caelum, Kaalinpää and Hämäläinen.

I frankly believe that the Renegades will be the team to win it all. The have a great first forward line and one of the best defensive brigade. The one who will need to up her game at the same level of the rest of the team to be able to pass Calgary will be Georgette Pel. She already prooved that she's good enough to be in the playoff, and it's on her to proove she's really one of the best.

Andersson will need to give it all if the Chiefs want to succed and go in the finals, because his defensive brigade in front of him is less experienced and the one of the Wolfpack. Yeah, the chiefs have Garbanzo, but when in face you have Clayton, Landvik, Kosonen and Morenov, Wolfpack have a big advantage on paper. But, I believe that Andersson can do it.

The Jets is probably the team eliminated in first round who have the best overall team and a young team too so regression won't hit that hard, but they will face so many good teams in the west. That's why I think that an eastern team like the North Stars will have more chances to get through 2nd round next year.

- Phobospwns - 09-18-2017

We will, indeed, ride the momentum of our win over the Jets into the second round, and take out the Dragons. We matched up well against them in the regular season, the series has the making of a 7 game series, but the experience of Texas will win out when the lights are brightest.

- MyLittleHexx - 09-18-2017

I can easily see NEW playing all the way to another Challenge Cup. The fact of the matter is, they always field a competitive team that has depth. The group has a plethora of players with playoff experience, so they know how to handle the pressures of playoff hockey.

I don't know either team to give an educated guess, but I could see Calgary moving on to the finals. They always seem to have a good team, so it's hard to imagine the Renegades getting 4 wins on Calgary before Calgary gets 4 wins on them.

Easily it has to be Robert Andersson. Minnesota has the depth of a square. They don't have anyone to help give their top guys rest, so by the end the the game every player needs a gas mask. They aren't built for overtime, so they need Andersson to stand on his head and hope they put more pucks in the net before the other team does at the end of regulation.

In my option, it has to be the Seattle Riot. They are a young, hungry team that has the pieces to go deep into the playoffs. They will be a force next season, and teams will cower in fear when they see that the next game is against the Riot. It will be a riot on the ice, and the other team will be left black and blue after the Riot are finished with them.

- storm - 09-18-2017

The New England Wolfpack were in a dire situation around halfway through the season. The lines didn't click and both the managers and players were quickly growin frustrated. In a shocking turn of events they moved veteran defenseman Chris Crutchfield and forward Ales Smirnov. This change of personnel has sparked the rest of the team, as they have been dominating since the trade deadline. I believe they'll ride this hot streak to the Challenge Cup.

The Renegades have consistently been a good team for the past few seasons, but they've never been able to put all the pieces together for a deep playoff run. I think this year they really have what it takes to make that Challenge Cup push. Players like Durden and Allen need to stay hot and help their team as leaders on ice. If they do this I think they'll easily advance.

Georgette Pal is unarguably the least experienced goaltender of all the current playoff goalies. I believe she'll need to step up and exceed expectations to keep her team on their dominating playoff performance. If she manages a .900 save percentage or higher in most games against the Dragons I'd expect the Renegades strong forward and defensive core to help her out significantly.

Buffalo looked really good in the series against the Chiefs. If they can maintain all their pieces and make a few changes to their roster I can see them going all the way. They just need to fill some gaps and work on line combos, and they'll be a strong contender.