Create Account

Updating Issues

04-15-2019, 11:12 AMTomasnz Wrote:
04-15-2019, 10:38 AMGCool Wrote: @JNH and @Mike Izzy  I appreciate it. Good points and suggestions - I do like the idea of an [updated] update template to incorporate in the "new player package", so to speak. It might help a little bit to blow the dust off the "My First PT!" template and re-visit just how useful a learning tool it is.

Updating template is a great idea.. although I feel like it shouldn't be complusory .Just provided for use. 
Especially if an updater just posts it in every new players update thread saying. Hey if you don't have a system you like better. Try use this. 

I think on thing I would say is, I got a really good update from someone at the start of this last season. I made a rookie mistake in understanding the update scale and they were really cool and updated me with some modifications to the numbers. I was able to learn from that and appreciated the help. So if someone is trying and has been fairly good, and makes a mistake, I feel like forgiveness and guidance is good not just, sorry can't update you .

Yup, I don't think a straight update is the answer. I forget who it was, but I made a mistake near playoffs this season and they rejected my update while @'ing me and letting me know what the issue was. I corrected it, PM'ed them and they were able to adjust the update. Easy process on both ends.

I don't think people should be expected to be perfect, nor do should the updaters have to be doing people's math and updates for them. A form as mentioned earlier would be a good step towards minimizing the errors and standardizing the process.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

04-15-2019, 11:49 AMFordyford Wrote: I've been working on a really simple bit of python code to format updates consistently. Ever since I had a 70 TPE update with equipment and realised that it must've been a pain to update.

I tried writing a utility in Python to help with updating, people hate downloading stuff :(

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

04-15-2019, 12:02 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
04-15-2019, 11:49 AMFordyford Wrote: I've been working on a really simple bit of python code to format updates consistently. Ever since I had a 70 TPE update with equipment and realised that it must've been a pain to update.

I tried writing a utility in Python to help with updating, people hate downloading stuff :(

Yeah that's the problem I anticipated. It might stay as something I use to help myself update forever...

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

Thanks for the productive discussion, guys. This makes me feel much better about the state of updating heading into next season. Smile
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019, 01:58 PM by Ace.)

Having some updating consistency or assigned teams would go a long way in addressing these issues. Is there a reason we moved away from the assigned team model? Pardon my ignorance, I’ve never been behind the scenes on the updating side of things. It’s a new updater every week it seems like now.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

04-15-2019, 01:58 PMAce Wrote: Having some updating consistency or assigned teams would go a long way in addressing these issues. Is there a reason we moved away from the assigned team model? Pardon my ignorance, I’ve never been behind the scenes on the updating side of things. It’s a new updater every week it seems like now.

It was new to me when I re-entered the league. A little weird at first, but this allows the more dedicated members to get multiple teams finished, and I've enjoyed the change for the most part.

04-15-2019, 01:58 PMAce Wrote: Having some updating consistency or assigned teams would go a long way in addressing these issues. Is there a reason we moved away from the assigned team model? Pardon my ignorance, I’ve never been behind the scenes on the updating side of things. It’s a new updater every week it seems like now.

Aside from what Gcool already stated, it makes it so if an updater has something happen and are unavailable for a weekend, teams aren't left in limbo of unclaimable status. Not every updater has the same amount of time to dedicate to the task each week and not every week is equal in terms of updating a team easily. This past weekend had Regressions, Equipment purchases, Call-ups, and many people who only update monthly or seasonly coming out of the woodwork. I would say on average teams that would take me 1 hour to get through normally, took 2-3+ hours this week. That's not to talk about the variance in a team with 13 beefy updates versus a team with 3 updates of just AC and Training.

Part of the current delay is that an updater can only claim 2-3 teams on Saturday for 24 hours at noon. Then on Sunday at noon there is no limit. That is when some of the more active updaters return to help finish off whatever teams are remaining. I believe the intent of this rule is to allow all updaters a chance to update regardless of if they are available at noon on Saturday or say 9 pm for example.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

04-15-2019, 10:32 AMJNH Wrote: - Dilligent users sometimes make mistakes
- Humans in general make mistakes
- Some here are too lazy/don't feel like to check for their mistakes or ask for someone to double check
- Some still don't completely understand the updating format and process
- Math is hard

I think these are the main 5 problems and there isn't necessarily something updating can do about it unless we automate the process of adding TPE to players or have some kind of form (e.g. you put link/tpe earned from that task/stats adjusted/tpe cap into a form and it spits out a formatted update).  Then potentially we could just have the human side of things double checking that they entered the right amount.  Under these conditions, I see absolutely no reason why anyone could be upset their update was rejected because they'd have had every chance to make sure it was correct.  Sure an honest error or two may happen but it could be a step in the right direction.

I don't feel like the issue is with updating or anything you can do, I think you've done a great job directing the team and the updaters themselves have done great with updating, finding errors, notifying players and helping make changes.

Sums up my thoughts well. For me, it's usually number five, even as someone who is very particular about making the formatting as clear and pain-free as possible, I just sometimes suck at adding. And when I'm wrong, the updater tells me and I say, "Yep, I still suck at math."

I like the dialogue but at the end of the day you can't fix me being bad at math even as a well-intentioned end user.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

One thing I just learned was that you could use the player build tool to audit your own build

If anyone's unsure, go that route because it's a big help

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM by JNH.)

04-15-2019, 03:36 PMztevans Wrote:
04-15-2019, 10:32 AMJNH Wrote: - Dilligent users sometimes make mistakes
- Humans in general make mistakes
- Some here are too lazy/don't feel like to check for their mistakes or ask for someone to double check
- Some still don't completely understand the updating format and process
- Math is hard

I think these are the main 5 problems and there isn't necessarily something updating can do about it unless we automate the process of adding TPE to players or have some kind of form (e.g. you put link/tpe earned from that task/stats adjusted/tpe cap into a form and it spits out a formatted update).  Then potentially we could just have the human side of things double checking that they entered the right amount.  Under these conditions, I see absolutely no reason why anyone could be upset their update was rejected because they'd have had every chance to make sure it was correct.  Sure an honest error or two may happen but it could be a step in the right direction.

I don't feel like the issue is with updating or anything you can do, I think you've done a great job directing the team and the updaters themselves have done great with updating, finding errors, notifying players and helping make changes.

Sums up my thoughts well. For me, it's usually number five, even as someone who is very particular about making the formatting as clear and pain-free as possible, I just sometimes suck at adding. And when I'm wrong, the updater tells me and I say, "Yep, I still suck at math."

I like the dialogue but at the end of the day you can't fix me being bad at math even as a well-intentioned end user.

Yeah ideally this is where an automated form would be nice. You could just put in the link for your season predictions and say you got 3 capped & 3 uncapped. It'll tally this up & add it to your S47 PT Cap. Then you say you want X TPE to go into checking and what your checking starting value is, and it spits out

Code:
[URL=link]Season Predictions - 3 Capped 3 Uncapped[/URL]

Points Added: 6
TPE: 412
Stats Adjusted:
Checking 40 --> 46

S47 PT Cap: 3/40

Or something along those lines. It wouldn't have to be mandatory, but for those that find updating hard it can streamline the process. Input link, input capped, input uncapped, check which season's cap the capped are for, say where you want them to go and starting value and it'll spit it out for you to copy & paste. It'd be hard to use for like regression/equipment/some other stuff but minimizes the math as much as possible, more just data entry and let the form add and subtract.

If I had even a little knowledge of how to do this I'd try, but I have none.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019, 04:38 PM by GCool.)

04-15-2019, 03:56 PMJNH Wrote:
04-15-2019, 03:36 PMztevans Wrote: Sums up my thoughts well. For me, it's usually number five, even as someone who is very particular about making the formatting as clear and pain-free as possible, I just sometimes suck at adding. And when I'm wrong, the updater tells me and I say, "Yep, I still suck at math."

Yeah ideally this is where an automated form would be nice.  You could just put in the link for your season predictions and say you got 3 capped & 3 uncapped.  It'll tally this up & add it to your S47 PT Cap.  Then you say you want X TPE to go into checking and what your checking starting value is, and it spits out

Code:

Stats Adjusted:
Checking 40 --> 46

Or something along those lines.  It wouldn't have to be mandatory, but for those that find updating hard it can streamline the process.  Input link, input capped, input uncapped, check which season's cap the capped are for, say where you want them to go and starting value and it'll spit it out for you to copy & paste.  It'd be hard to use for like regression/equipment/some other stuff but minimizes the math as much as possible, more just data entry and let the form add and subtract.

I do it like:

+6 (3 capped) [URL=link]Season Predictions[/ url]

Stats Adjusted:
+6 Checking: 40 -> 43 (because everyone's weakness is CK and it's sad as hell to me)

04-15-2019, 04:37 PMGCool Wrote:
04-15-2019, 03:56 PMJNH Wrote: Yeah ideally this is where an automated form would be nice.  You could just put in the link for your season predictions and say you got 3 capped & 3 uncapped.  It'll tally this up & add it to your S47 PT Cap.  Then you say you want X TPE to go into checking and what your checking starting value is, and it spits out

Code:

Stats Adjusted:
Checking 40 --> 46

Or something along those lines.  It wouldn't have to be mandatory, but for those that find updating hard it can streamline the process.  Input link, input capped, input uncapped, check which season's cap the capped are for, say where you want them to go and starting value and it'll spit it out for you to copy & paste.  It'd be hard to use for like regression/equipment/some other stuff but minimizes the math as much as possible, more just data entry and let the form add and subtract.

I do it like:

+6 (3 capped) [URL=link]Season Predictions[/  url]

Stats Adjusted:
+6 Checking: 40 -> 43 (because everyone's weakness is CK and it's sad as hell to me)

Tongue That's fine too, I just wanted an example of how it would spit out a template for copy and pasting purposes.

loosely related, can we simplify equipment? Every time i get an idea to do something, i roll my eyes at the idea having to handle that. Banked points that go specifically to an attribute, multiple purchases, multiple tiers.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

04-15-2019, 04:51 PM.bojo Wrote: loosely related, can we simplify equipment? Every time i get an idea to do something, i roll my eyes at the idea having to handle that. Banked points that go specifically to an attribute, multiple purchases, multiple tiers.

I like what the GOMHL did with equipment a few seasons ago.

04-15-2019, 04:51 PM.bojo Wrote: loosely related, can we simplify equipment? Every time i get an idea to do something, i roll my eyes at the idea having to handle that. Banked points that go specifically to an attribute, multiple purchases, multiple tiers.

How would we simplify it?

Equipment's a bit of a cunt but I'm just not sure how we could make it easier to deal with. Need with more brain cells than myself to knock it down.