Create Account

Next Season’s SHL Playoff Formatting
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2019, 07:30 PM by Hallsy.)

01-08-2019, 06:44 PMBeaver Wrote:
01-08-2019, 05:55 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote: ya thats the only option if we do a 50 game season.
It's not the only option, just the simplest. We could make just about any schedule work by pairing up each team with a rival that they play more often than the other divisional rivals:
-8 games vs rival (4 home, 4 away) = 8 games
-5 games vs division (alternate 2 home, 3 away and 3 home, 2 away) = 10 games
-4 games vs same conf (2 home, 2 away) = 16 games
-2 games vs other conf (1 home, 1 away) = 16 games
=50 games

Or we could go all-in on the 4-team divisions and have:
-10 games vs rival (5 home, 5 away) = 10 games
-8 games vs division (4 home, 4 away) = 16 games
-2 games vs other divisions (1 home, 1 away) = 24 games
=50 games

Or say fuck divisions:
-10 games vs rival (5 home, 5 away) = 10 games
-4 games vs conference (2 home, 2 away) = 24 games
=50 games

Or say fuck divisions another way, rotating which team you face 4 teams each season:
-5 games vs 6 conference (alternate 2/3 and 3/2) = 30 games
-4 games vs 1 conference (2 home, 2 away) = 4 games
=50 games

etc etc etc

If we want to keep a 50 game schedule we can do so easily with pretty much any divisional structure we want, I wouldn't pass on a more popular structure just because it makes the schedule a little bit messier.

well no shit I was just talking within the schedule builder that sths give us. There isn't a "rival" option.

I think the way to resolve those two are to reward good performances with playoff byes, if STHS allows. That way GMs still have something to strive for (your chances of winning dramatically increase with a bye) while more users get involved in the postseason.

01-08-2019, 06:44 PMBeaver Wrote: For each conference:
5th vs 8th -> winner vs 4th -> winner vs 1st -> conf finals -> finals finals
6th vs 7th -> winner vs 3rd -> winner vs 2nd -> conf finals -> finals finals

Or:
3rd vs 6th -> winner vs 2nd -> conf finals -> finals finals
4th vs 5th -> winner vs 1st -> conf finals -> finals finals

Again, I've never fucked around with STHS playoff settings so not sure what the limitations there are but we could make the play-in rounds shorter, a best-of-3 or best-of-5 or even a single game, to make the incentive for getting a bye even stronger and to cut down the wait for the the teams with byes (though I'm not sure they'll care too much).

I think a double elimination tournament (with the losers' bracket being best-of-1 until the end) would be awesome but I have no delusions of it happening.

to my knowledge you can't change playoff length mid playoffs

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next Season’s SHL Playoff Formatting - by Hallsy - 01-08-2019, 07:27 PM