Create Account

Poll: Calder winner
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Artemi Panarin
0%
0 0%
Colton Parayko
0%
0 0%
Jack Eichel
0%
0 0%
Shayne Gostisbehere
0%
0 0%
Max Romi
0%
0 0%
Connor McDavid
0%
0 0%
John Gibson
0%
0 0%
Dylan Larkin
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Who will win the Calder?

Quote:Originally posted by Kinsler@Mar 30 2016, 09:59 PM
one thing i don't get about the discussion around this award.

calder trophy is for the rookie who proves to be 'the most proficient rookie in their first season of play'

its not who had the best season.

I don't think there's any doubt of this crop of rookies who is the most proficient nhl player
It's pretty clear when you put it like that

Yea and the Selke is for the "forward who demonstrates the most skill in the defensive component of the game"

But every year it goes to the best two way forward

I give it to the player that had the best season not the player I think is the best player.
Obviously McDavid is the best player.

Quote:Originally posted by TheLastOlympian07@Mar 30 2016, 09:46 PM
Panarin should win it but he probably won't get the votes because he played in the KHL for years before he joined the NHL. That never became a reason until him for some reason when no one batted an eye when Kovalchuk, Ovechkin and Malkin all played in Russia before joining the NHL and won the Calder.
I don't think the issue is that he played in the K, rather that he played in the K until he was 23 years old. Kovy, Ovy, and Malkin were 18, 19, and 20 when they started their rookie seasons. Also, Kane.

it'd be easy to vote for someone else if it was even remotely close but right now Panarin's point production has him sitting pretty in regards to Calder consideration

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Quote:Originally posted by WannabeFinn@Apr 4 2016, 01:42 AM
it'd be easy to vote for someone else if it was even remotely close but right now Panarin's point production has him sitting pretty in regards to Calder consideration
Ghost has 29 less points but in 17 less games played, as a defender. That's not too far off if he continued at his points per game he has right now, and played those extra 17 games he'd be less than 20 points behind him.

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

All the things said about Panarin ring true, but I think he's also the reason Kane is having a banner year. I think that's something to take into consideration. I'm not saying that makes him the best rookie, but with points and contribution, it will probably end Panarin IMO.

Best player is easily McDavid and had he not been injured he'd be running it away with it most likely.

Panarin running away with it now. 11 points in his past 8 periods of play.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]