Create Account

Reduce the Length of the playoffs

04-03-2019, 05:23 PMFlappyGiraffe Wrote:
04-03-2019, 09:33 AMJKortesi81 Wrote: Absolutely not.

I personally spend a lot of time line testing and doing everything I can to make the right changes to help my team win. Each game, especially with Simon T, is incredibly important.

It's a lot easier to speed through the playoffs in NSFL and PBE because quite frankly, you aren't making many changes. I mean, NSFL is a one game scenario anyway, not a series, so that doesn't apply here. And for the PBE, you really aren't tweaking your lineup a ton, your defense stays the same for the most part,  and your starting pitchers can't exactly pitch more often since they're exhausted.

I get the "waiting around" thing, i truly, truly do. Hell, i think I championed the whole "Battle for 1OA" in the SMJHL that was despised for this exact reason. . I think the better option here wouldn't be "speed through the playoffs", but "Let's run IIHF during the same time".  It'll give players who aren't in the playoffs "Something to do".

We can cut down on the times between season end and playoff start, although those few days are to help many people get Playoff Brackets in and things of that nature. Same thing when the finals start and we take a minute to get Championship Week/Finals Predictions up. If we speed through that, the more casual player will more than likely miss them, causing them to be ever further behind in easy TPE to the "crazies".

I suggested before that we make IIHF mean more. Give the winners even more money. Every 4th year hold an "Olympics" that'll be a HUGE payout, or even TPE for that. That'll keep the interest of the players not in the playoffs.

In reality, worst case scenario is that we have each round go to 7 games. If we just make it so that we'd sim a series in 3 days no matter what (Games 1/2, 3/4, 5/6/7) we'd be done in 9 days of simming, which isn't too bad if everyone is paying attention to IIHF, or the draft lottery, or things of that nature. In this scenario, we'd sim Game 7 not too long after Game 6 as soon as the GMs are ready) Add in a couple of days for the predictions, and the offseason can be wrapped up in, at most, two weeks-ish, which isn't that awful. Remember, this used to take A LOT longer when we had significantly more PbPs and whatnot. We've already cut down the playoffs/offseason a TON from when i started here.

The point is, we spend about a month of sims to get to this point, and we aren't/shouldn't just start rushing through the playoffs "just to do it" because we live in an era of instant gratification. Other sim leagues have a much easier time having the ability to whip through playoffs. Hockey is just different.

This just gave me an idea that may help with the waiting around - how about the IIHF only includes players who's teams have been eliminated from the playoffs, like the world championship every year in real life. That way it can run concurrently to the playoffs and start around the time the second round begins. Then once every 4 seasons we could do an olympics with the best on best lineups after playoffs.

Also keeps things fresh with the roster every season for IIHF, and gives the IIHF fed heads more stuff to do

@artermis

Someone else brought that up too, but doesn’t that just outright kill smaller countries like Ireland, UK, even Austria, and make it so we can just hand the medals to USA, Canada and Russia before the tournament begins?

Plus we just expanded the IIHF.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

04-03-2019, 05:45 PMEaster Eggy Wrote:
04-03-2019, 05:23 PMFlappyGiraffe Wrote: This just gave me an idea that may help with the waiting around - how about the IIHF only includes players who's teams have been eliminated from the playoffs, like the world championship every year in real life. That way it can run concurrently to the playoffs and start around the time the second round begins. Then once every 4 seasons we could do an olympics with the best on best lineups after playoffs.

Also keeps things fresh with the roster every season for IIHF, and gives the IIHF fed heads more stuff to do

@artermis

Someone else brought that up too, but doesn’t that just outright kill smaller countries like Ireland, UK, even Austria, and make it so we can just hand the medals to USA, Canada and Russia before the tournament begins?

Plus we just expanded the IIHF.

Yup. We only just have enough players to field a team as it is. If we only had those that missed the playoffs we'd have about a 1/3 of a team, and most of that would be inactives

[Image: 53994_s.gif]

Player Page
Player Updates
SMJHL Commissioner , SMJHL Awards Head, Banker (NEW/WKP), Rookie Mentor

yay

04-03-2019, 11:08 AMEaster Eggy Wrote:
04-02-2019, 10:19 PMztevans Wrote: As far as SHL was concerned, honestly surprised we went to a 10-team playoff for this reason.  Went through the effort of reworking and limiting PbPs and removing playoff updates for a while (not sure if this is still the case) in part to shorten the playoffs to a somewhat-manageable two weeks, and then turned around and added a round that only includes 25% of the league and still leaves six teams watching.  Sure, it "gets more people involved" but only for a couple of days.  Figured there would be a much stronger negative reaction but the genie is probably out of the bottle now.

We're definitely going to be revisiting at least the wild card length.

Real question is, do we need that wild card round at all? Half the teams in the league making the playoffs isn’t enough? No way to avoid a longer playoff period when you’re adding rounds. This was one where some league discussion beforehand, and not just HO talking amongst themselves, could have helped avoid the situation entirely.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

04-03-2019, 02:08 PMztevans Wrote:
04-03-2019, 01:57 PMBlastmeaway Wrote: I have on a spreadsheet tracked how long every season has been since S31, dating the end of the finals/the Commisioners “Retire your players post”. As such even with the new round added in this season the season is still on track to end Saturday, which is what my prediction states at the beginning of the season. Assuming the Finals Game one is simed tonight. I also know that during my time as Assistant to the regional manager Updating Head. Myself and @Dude have made many tasks easier for all those involved. Things from weekly updating the sim file, the Simmer used to have manually input each number week to week, now they download a couple .CSV files and rosters are set and so are updates. Same is said for new player creation in the offseason and regular season, the Simmer doesn’t need to create all these new players. Myself and, formerly @Dude, now @GCool take care of all that work. Our Updating team is essentially responsible for this work. I have also taken almost all of the work out of Regression for @Eggy216, all he does is copy from a file I created. He no longer needs to go through team by team, player by player, and calculate and write up the reggression post. The new system isn’t 100% accurate yet, but the entirety of a weekend that has been freed up for the commissioner allows him and HO to keep moving on Offseason tasks. With these smallish things being done we have streamlined some parts of the league that allow HO to compensate for a lost couple days of the offseason. Basically what I’m saying is that the offseason really shouldn’t be affected by an additional couple days of playoffs.

Everyone wants to play in the playoffs, but then don’t want to wait when their team is eliminated. You get don’t get to have you cake and eat it too.

This was a well-reasoned and very informative post showing some of the gains we have made and the research done that was worthy of applause until the snide comment at the end, but I appreciate it all the same.

Seems like wanting an explanation without snide comments is, again, wanting your cake and eating it too. Do you even know what an idiom is?

[Image: T8nB5Dn.png][Image: KXZ8h4k.png]
[Image: duderino.gif]

Clint Eastwood, Jun 10 2018,  09:36 AM Wrote:Can't buy love, but love can buy a lot.

04-03-2019, 07:54 PMSlappydoodle Wrote:
04-03-2019, 11:08 AMEaster Eggy Wrote: We're definitely going to be revisiting at least the wild card length.

Real question is, do we need that wild card round at all? Half the teams in the league making the playoffs isn’t enough? No way to avoid a longer playoff period when you’re adding rounds. This was one where some league discussion beforehand, and not just HO talking amongst themselves, could have helped avoid the situation entirely.

There was discussion on the playoff format, both on the site and with GMs.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

04-03-2019, 08:13 PMEaster Eggy Wrote:
04-03-2019, 07:54 PMSlappydoodle Wrote: Real question is, do we need that wild card round at all? Half the teams in the league making the playoffs isn’t enough? No way to avoid a longer playoff period when you’re adding rounds. This was one where some league discussion beforehand, and not just HO talking amongst themselves, could have helped avoid the situation entirely.

There was discussion on the playoff format, both on the site and with GMs.

In retrospect, I was probably too harsh in my wording and I apologize for being abrupt and rude. Not meaning to attack here, just to provoke respectful dialogue.

I have long contended that any and all major league changes should be presented to the league as a whole prior to finalization for a period of public discussion and perusal. This could help to ameliorate some of the ranting (such as my own) after the fact and also greatly improve the final product.

Discussion with GM’s is honestly overrated. Ultimately they are just one small segment of the population. Too much weight, purely in my opinion, is given to their judgement. They need to be consulted, but they hold no special knowledge, understanding or insight above anyone else.

Wildcard could be best of five or three

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

04-03-2019, 09:00 PM.bojo Wrote: Wildcard could be best of five or three

Or just eliminated entirely

Wildcards, at max, only add 4 days.

SBA is diff. They do their strategies once before the series starts and sticks with it through out. Saves them time/controversies but it's not the greatest thing ever. Bet the GMs would love more control. And their NCAA tournament stuff is single game knock out so the SBA being quick lines up with them.

Seems more like you folk are bored when there is nothing to do. in the NHL/NFL etc teams not in the playoffs look towards other things. Like the draft. Maybe open up the mock draft PT during the playoffs?

Back in the day for our WC, they would begin with the finals. Players in the finals cannot be elected for their countries and teams would have to pick out the remaining players. We have a lot of countries now with expansion and some don't have that solid foundation to actually even be a competitive team. Pretty hard to exclude players that way.

But legit, wild card is at max 4 days simming wise.

Don't want to be bored in the off-season? Come back strong the next season and make a deep run into the playoffs so you don't have to feel that bad again.

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]

I can get behind reducing wild card to 5 or even 3 games.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

How about no wildcard

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

How about we keep talking over one another.

The fact Calgary was able to sneak out of the wildcard as a team that would have been eliminated without it demonstrates it can be a good idea. I think dropping it to three games for an added little spice to the playoffs would be good (instead of a ton of teams getting no playoff fun at all compared to two expansions ago) and keep the playoffs going strong.

Also I feel like people complained about the length of the playoffs before this was even implemented, so it isn't like removing the wild card is actually going to satisfy the league. Even if we went to strictly the top team in each conference plays for the Cup then people would still be mad the playoffs are dragging.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2019, 09:21 AM by Tomen.)

Wildcard was only 3 days long so the impact it will have on the playoff length as a whole is rather marginal imo. The regular season ended on a Thursday this is what made it feel like the wildcard took a week because playoffs always start on Mondays. If we could have stretched the regular season schedule to Saturday the subjective waiting time of the Playoffs would have been shorter.

Even if we cut down the Wildcard series to a best of 5 it will take 2-3 days. Best of 3 will make it a 1-2 day affair.

Imo more careful planning in terms of when the regular season ends will get the best result together with reducing the wildcard to a best of 5 series. Might even propose not waiting for the wildcard series in terms of roster updates which if we would have applied to this season playoffs we Would have seen the series take play on Friday,Saturday and Sunday. So Round 1 of the playoffs would have started on the 25th instead of the 28th. We would now be in game 6 of the finals instead of game 1.

In the end non playoff teams would wait 14 days around compared to now possibly 17.

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

It seems to me that the arguement is that the playoffs take too long and seems geared towards the teams that make the playoffs, which is completely understandable and unfortunately part of the 'playoff experience'

One thought I have on this would be to have a losers bracket for the teams that do not make the playoffs, but it also needs to have an actual reward rather than just going through the motions for teams that didn't make the playoffs.

Why not a reward for extra draft balls based on your performance in the losers bracket. Not a dramatic amount, maybe 5 extra balls for winning the losers bracket. Not enough to kill the draft but enough that you might move up a slot or 2 with a little luck.

Just throwing an idea out there.

Why do the playoffs have to start on a Monday? How much of a difference does a week's worth of updates actually make?

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]