Create Account

S38 Championship Week

TASK ONE: Pick either of the teams currently in the finals. Which player had to overcome the most adversity to get where they are at now? What did they have to endure before finally getting their crack at the Cup? Must be 150 words and include two specific situations that player experienced en-route to the Cup finals, whether this season or at some point during their career.

The team that has astonished me most in the playoffs is without a doubt Calgary dragons. The team that was fighting for a playoff spot has somehow made its way into the finals against the Rage. If there is one person that i have to talk about in getting here, it is definitely Randy Randleman. Many may even say that the reason why the Dragons have made it thus far is due to this man as well. He has consecutively been one of the best players in the league for multiple season. So he had to endure immense pressure of whether or not he can carry this onto the playoffs. To his delight, he did not disappoint as he led the team with 25 points. As an experienced player, he did not let conceit get the better of him and translated his hunger for victory in the playoffs. As the Dragons were fighting for a playoff spot in the beginning, Randleman made sure that his hunger can translate into the playoff finals. Another thing this legend fought against was regression. He is in his 4th year of regression and is still able to put up impressive points.

TASK TWO: Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S38 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.

The unsung hero of the s38 playoffs in my eyes is MIchael Boychuk of Calgary dragons. The story is usually told from the winner's perspective and as a result not much recognition has been given to this beast. As a defenseman he was able to put up solid 20 points which points him at the top of the league in the playoffs for defenders. His 20 points is also enough to give many forwards a run for their money. Not only is he a good scoring defenseman, he is also able to play the blue line well. Boychuk finished the playoffs with a remarkable + 12 rating, meaning he has a positive contribution to his team. He is also not shy to play the gritty game as he has 15 hits for the playoffss. The reason why many teams would also want to have him is because of his defensive capabilities. He may be the reason why Dragons were able to give the Rage a good cup run. He had 31 blocked shots in the playoffs which is only behind Windsor and Nuck from the Rage, who had 44 and 39 respectively. Boychuk is a formidable player and due to the reasons above is the unsung hero of the s38 playoffs.

TASK FOUR: What rookies or young players are looking to make a name for themselves during the Finals? How have they contributed to the team on the way to the Finals? Must be at least 150 words, and include two statistics.

In the s38 finals, there is not much competition at all since the Rage does not have any active rookies on their team. Thus, we can talk about Roman Augustus of the Calgary Dragons. Roman is a rookie of the infamous s36 rookies. There was so much hype going to this reddit draft that many thought this would become the next s20 draft but unfortunately there isn’t much to it after all. But after all said and done, there are a few blossoming flowers and Roman is one of them. Roman is currently top 3 in the s36 draft for most tpe earned. He has worked very hard to earn as much tpe he can alongside Tigole Bitties and Oisin Fletcher. Another rookie that is also working his way up is Yuri Boyka Jr, who may be right after them in terms of tpe. Roman was given that golden opportunity like few other rookies to play top minutes. He played second pairing with Pier-Luc Laflamme and did not disappoint at all. He was able to notch 9 points for the dragons and also not shy to play rough. He’s a solid defenseman and will only continue to get better as he works hard. He is easily the best defenceman of the s36 draft and is not looking to slow down. He has the intensity and determination to keep going forward and getting better. Watch out next season for this man as he will near 1000 tpe by the next playoff time.

TASK SIX: You’re the coach of a team in the finals. What changes would you make to the roster, lines or strategies of the team to give the team a better chance at winning the series? Must be at least 150 words.

If I was the coach of Calgary dragons I would have played somethings differently. For once, although I respect Pedersen like crazy, I would not have placed him on the first line. He is a season 20 player and regression has hit him really hard. The first two lines would look like the following: in a C-LW-RW format

L1: Joe kurzewski-Danni Forsberg-Randy Randleman
L2: Shane Gagner-Nicholas Pedersen-Schnitinfritz Jagr
This would allow Danni Forsberg to maximize his time on the ice as he has played so well in the playoffs. Nicholas Pedersen only managed to get 6 points due to his regression and thus minimize his time on the second line. I may even put him on the third line and bring alex mack up to replace him.

I would also change the power play line. Once again, I respect Pedersen a lot but there are players that are more deserving of the powerplay especially since they are in better form.
PP1: Joe Kurzewski-Danni Forsberg-Randy Randleman
PP2: Shane Gagner-Alex Mack-Schnitinfritz Jagr.

Joe really deserves PP minutes as he was second on the team in scoring which is only behind Randleman. I do not know how he was kicked out from PP. Also I would replace Pedersen with Mack who played tremendously in the playoffs as well.

[Image: pnI7R5r.png]

TASK THREE:
[Image: uA9HHlR.jpg]

TASK FIVE:
[Image: QdxnYqT.jpg]

TASK SEVEN:
[Image: 8ETWYvb.jpg]

TASK EIGHT:
[Image: 45OUXtB.jpg]

TASK ONE: Pick either of the teams currently in the finals. Which player had to overcome the most adversity to get where they are at now? What did they have to endure before finally getting their crack at the Cup? Must be 150 words and include two specific situations that player experienced en-route to the Cup finals, whether this season or at some point during their career.
I mean, you get this far, has every team not had some point of adversity to get where they are now? I mean, there is plenty of hurting, tiredness and everything like that to go towards the finals, but I am going to say Jason Aittokallio because this guy is a stud. You look at the great playoff performance, this needs to be shown as he definitely was one of the better players. Sometimes, there is a lot of pressure on the best players, so to come out there and do this, you deserve all of the credit. You deserve to overcome the adversity and lift that cup. He proved all the haters wrong and made sure that he was able to touch the cup. Every player in the playoffs has overcome some sort of adversity, but I think Jason Aittokallio proved a lot of people wrong in this playoffs.
Quote:Words: 150

TASK TWO: Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S38 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.
Jason Aittokallio has to be the unsung hero of the entire playoffs for the Manhattan Rage. I mean, what did this guy not do in the playoffs to impress you? I mean, he saved 93% of his shots which was the most of any goalie, by the way, with just under 700. He also had a 2.24 GAA which shows how clutch this guy can be in the playoffs. There is no doubt that you want this guy in the middle of your net in big games, he will do plenty. He also has 3 shutouts to go with his 12 wins during the playoffs. I mean, what more do you want from any goalie? He gave his team a chance to win and that is exactly what they did. There is no doubt why this guy should be the MVP and his team should thank him. I think this needs to be more shown because this performance was amazing.
Quote:Words: 160

TASK FOUR: What rookies or young players are looking to make a name for themselves during the Finals? How have they contributed to the team on the way to the Finals? Must be at least 150 words, and include two statistics.
I have to say that one of the players that is going to definitely make a name for themselves pretty soon is that of Roman Augustus for the Calgary Dragons. If you look at the stat sheet, I am sure that you will not be impressed. However, when you look at the fact that this guy is playing almost 22 minutes a night, you have to be impressed. You look at his stats though, while we are at it. He has 0 goals, but 9 assists for a total of 9 points. He also has seen 12 minutes of time in the penalty box, 24 hots, and 21 shots blocked. When you look at a guy that is supposed to be a defensive defenseman, that is exactly what you want. He can certainly get into the play if needed, Roman Augustus will likely stay back. If you are Calgary, you have to be excited to see what is next for this player. I think that he has been one of the guys that has impressed me.
Quote:Words: 176

TASK SIX: You’re the coach of a team in the finals. What changes would you make to the roster, lines or strategies of the team to give the team a better chance at winning the series? Must be at least 150 words.
This is really tough because both teams got there for a reason, but hey, I can make the decisions. First, Dani Forsberg, I mean, you have to do something with that player. Look at how unsuccessful this player was during the playoffs, I mean -4, comeon, you have to be better than that. Also, Nicholas Pedersen, are you kidding me? You are going to put up that egg during the playoffs? 3 goals, 3 assists, for six points with only -6, why are you on the first line, you should have put someone else in there. That has to be a joke, you have to be better than that. You are one of the key players, sit that guy down, find someone that can play in his place. Pierre-Luc Laflamme can find himself on the bench as well. You guys just have to be better. Give the kid a little more ice time or something, get these guys off the ice.
Quote:Words: 161

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3

Code:
TASK THREE: Design the Challenge Cup Finals logo that will be included on both jerseys. Must include S38, the SHL logo and some sort of representation for each of the two teams in the Finals.

[Image: pJoAgk0.jpg]

Code:
TASK FIVE: It’s Zamboni time! The teams have been asked by the SHL offices to re-design their Zamboni with a Finals theme. Please use your creativity on this and make it specific to one of the teams in the finals. Must include a logo from a team in the Finals and a color scheme appropriate to the team.

[Image: bvP9mlc.jpg]

Code:
TASK SEVEN: Design a t-shirt or a rally towel for one of the teams in the finals. Must include some text (a slogan), the team’s logo and a local sponsor for the giveaway.

[Image: Fu3xd7G.jpg]

Code:
TASK EIGHT: Design the Championship Banner for the S38 Challenge Cup. Must include team logo, team name and at least one render.

[Image: JYu0JSi.jpg]

[Image: Jepox.gif]

TASK THREE: Design the Challenge Cup Finals logo that will be included on both jerseys. Must include S38, the SHL logo and some sort of representation for each of the two teams in the Finals.

TASK FOUR: The one rookie that stands out in my eyes this postseason is Roman Augustus of the Calgary Dragons. The rookie defenseman had a solid regular season in the SHL, putting up a respectable 18 points in 50 games, and leading the team with 78 blocked shots. In the postseason, he managed to put up 9 points in only 17 games, and 21 blocked shots while logging well over 21 minutes of ice time per game.

Augustus put up a hefty 103 points in 176 games in juniors, his highest total being in season 36, when he put up 9 goals and 22 assists for 31 points in 50 games. Obviously the Dragons knew what they were getting in this young, two-way defensive stalwart. The Dragon management are incredibly happy with the output of the rookie blue liner, and will be looking for him to expand on his rookie season next year. (152 words)

TASK FIVE: It’s Zamboni time! The teams have been asked by the SHL offices to re-design their Zamboni with a Finals theme. Please use your creativity on this and make it specific to one of the teams in the finals. Must include a logo from a team in the Finals and a color scheme appropriate to the team.

TASK SEVEN: Design a t-shirt or a rally towel for one of the teams in the finals. Must include some text (a slogan), the team’s logo and a local sponsor for the giveaway.

TASK EIGHT: Design the Championship Banner for the S38 Challenge Cup. Must include team logo, team name and at least one render.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Task 4
I believe the unsung hero in the Shl playoffs would have to be Calgary Dragons own Roman Augustus and former crow. The young defenseman helped lead his smjhl team far in the playoffs every year and now with his hard work on and off the ice the dragons have made it to the finals. Augustus has played about twenty two minutes per game through out the playoffs and with a plus minus of -1 he has played great all season and is coming up big when needed. He is not a goal scorer but he makes up for it with assists having nine so far in the playoffs. The young defensemen age twenty two is happy with his performance so far and plans to just play his game stopping shots and having great play against the boards. The defense men is huge and at six foot six it’s hard for shots to get past him standing or dropping down to block a shot and I believe this rookie will make a huge impact on the final season.
Task 5
[Image: J3T2o46.jpg]
Task 7
[Image: qv2RrQq.jpg]
Task 8
[Image: 1mVT4zT.jpg]

[Image: wI13C3V.png]

[Image: mtDOugA.png]

[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

Bojo Box (C. Knouse)

Code:

When looking at the rosters, the guy who has struggled the most to get to the finals is, undoubtadly, Connor O'Reilly. The 15 season vet has gone through a lot of things in his career, but the finals are not one of them. He has been a defensive beast, but never has been the anchor to lead a team to the finals. Let's say he was quite unlucky with his career. He was drafted by New England, who were fresh off a cup win, but that was their only shot, which lead to a rebuild. Then he was traded to Hamilton, who were a dominant force in the mid 20's, but were on a downhill. After that he was traded to Winnipeg, who were in between their cup wins, S25 and S37. And now, Calgary. Probably one of the last, if not the last shot at the title. Lets see how that pans out.

Code:

There is no doubt in my mind, when I think that Micheal Boychuk of the Calgary Dragons is the unsung hero. He plays the third most minutes on the ice and is over point per game as a defenseman. He is an another veteran of the Calgary Dragons retirement house of a team, but his age never shows on the ice. He still is one of the best players on the ice. He is a player that any gm would want on their team. This could be one of the last times he is as productive, as the age is starting to catch up, but there is still hope he has a bit of left in his tank. The Calgary Dragons will still be a perennial contender, so he can maybe step down a bit to let the new guys take his spot as he tries to get an another cup in his illoustrious career. This guy deserved to be the mvp of the finals.

Code:

[Image: xPCEeY2.jpg]

Code:

[Image: 932LbCB.png]

Winston Windsor has had to face a lot of adversity throughout his career and none more so that in his last season in the league. The newly retired defenseman has faced tremendous amounts of pressure to go and get one last Challenge Cup before he hangs his skates. A face commonly associated with the Edmonton Blizzard, Windsor was traded to the Renegades specifically for a cup run which didn’t happen. Instead of looking elsewhere he decided to stay one more season in Texas and it ultimately paid off. Many people thought he would retire after that but he decided to push it back until S38. Instead he signed with the Rage for his final season and managed to snag yet another Challenge Cup. A freak of nature throughout his career, a legend on the blue line, he has managed to stay consistent throughout the seasons and will be remembered as one of the best defensemen in the league for years to come.
Code:
160 words

When people talk about unsung heroes they often look at 3rd line players that had a good run in terms of production. Personally I think that the unsung hero of the S38 Playoffs was Jason Aittokallio. Whilst everyone was praising the production of big name skaters on either team, Aittokallio was posting a league leading 0.934 save percentage and 2.24 goals against average with 3 shutouts on his way to a 2nd Challenge Cup. On top of that he’s played the most minutes out of any goalie in the playoffs, which goes to show you how crucial the defensive system implemented by the Rage was critical in their cup run. In fact the whole S38 playoffs finals was a show that offense wins games but defense wins championships. When people will look back at the S38 playoffs and look at the stats they’ll realize that what Aittokallio did was worthy of a Playoffs MVP performance. Anything less than that would be highway robbery by the awards committee.
Code:
167 words

[Image: XwqbKrA.jpg]

[Image: QnPBPQT.jpg]

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

TASK THREE:
[Image: YtK22DD.png]

TASK FIVE:
[Image: m3k8R62.png]

TASK SEVEN:
[Image: ASSrjUk.png]

TASK EIGHT:
[Image: Oo89lUr.png]

[Image: 32882_s.gif]

Oliver Pettyfer / Isaac Cormier Hale / Eva Lykke Aparjode

My choice for S38 playoff unsung hero is none of than then Mike Izzy from the Calgary Dragons. He had a great regular season and that carried into the playoffs just falling a game short of the challenge cup. Izzy isn’t scared of the corners and is in fact one of the first people to throw a hit leading his time with 61 hits in 17 games played which is really impressive for a young players. Another impressive stat from Izzy is his shooting percentage just over 16%. Through the 17 games played he also managed to produce 7 points on the third line and 2nd power play unit. One of the best aspects of Izzy’s game is his physical play, he gets rid of the big players and creates room for the snipers, and however it’s great that Izzy can still collect points while throwing some shoulders every now and then.
Code:
Words – 152

My choice for a young player that needs to make a name for himself is none other than Crossfit Jesus from the Manhattan Rage. He already has one challenge cup under his belt when he was called up after the scarecrows were eliminated from the playoffs in the SMJHL. Crossfit was ready to prove to everyone he could make a big impact on the team with a confirmed role. During his run in the playoffs he played on the second line where he managed to produce 4 goals and 3 assists and even 2 – Third Stars of the Game. Another impressive stat from Crossfit is his 60 shots on net in 20 games and finished the final series with +5. He was able to get the puck to the net and help his team capture the challenge cup. He was a very crucial young player for the Manhattan Rage and I think he made a great impact.
Code:
Words – 157

[Image: 8fPgXEC.png]

[Image: 4NJFoRQ.png]

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]

Falcons Steelhawks

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

Task One
Bennett Jones had an interesting route to the finals. The former first overall pick of the S28 draft pick never really lived up to the high expectations the league had for him. Already with four cups to his name, Bennett Jones didn’t have much left to prove, and was found in limbo with being traded a few times over the course of a few seasons. To recap 1) Bennett Jones failed to live up to expectations and was considered a bust, despite having 4 cups already, and 2) Bennett Jones was traded at least twice in the past few seasons. There was a lot of pressure on Bennett Jones to simply hang up the skates, but he proved that he still had a bit more hockey in him and that he’d use all the gas left in the tank. Bennett Jones faced the most adversity, and overcame it on the biggest stage of simulation hockey.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

It's pretty easy to create a player that can have a tremendous amount of success in the SHL, as long as you are meticulous in doing every update that can improve your player. Unfortunately for goalies this isn't always the case. While Forwards and Dmen can crack the lineup fairly early in their careers, Goalies have to wait their turn until they get their shot between the pipes. Being a backup in this league really must suck, and I wouldn't blame a backup for going inactive, however, that was not the case with Richard C Hocolate. Sitting behind Calgary legend Hunter Wong for season after season must have been really difficult, but Richard C. ever the professional, kept active, and waited his turn to finally take the place he deserved between the pipes as Calgary's #1 netminder. Besides the fact he had to wait his turn to get the nod, Hocolate also had to hold off a challenge to his backup role from a young upstart in Thaddius Prince. A hot prospect that fell into the category I described above. At the end of the day, Richard C endured both a lengthy stint as backup to a Calgary Legend, all while holding off the young challenge, and took the reigns as Calgary's Backstop for now and the near future.

Up to this point in the S38 playoffs my choice for unsung hero would have to be: Richard C Hocolate. Calgary's season was a bit of a mess. Starting out the year, the Dragons were horrible from top to bottom. No one more disappointing than Nicholas Pedersen, who to put it bluntly - fucking sucked. But as the season went on, Richard C righted the ship, and led the team into the playoffs as the #4 seed. Up first was the San Fransisco Pride, a heavy favorite to end the dragons season quickly. Richard C.had a different plan, stealing Game 1 in Overtime with an amazing 45 save performance, setting a tone for the series. Had it gone differently, the series would have ended in a very different way. Winning in OT in the playoffs is hard, winning two overtime games is amazing, which is exactly what Richard C did, finishing off the Pride with another stellar performance, putting the team on his back and ending the Presidents Cup winners season.
In the 2nd round Richard C again came up big in Game 2, giving up a single goal in a overtime victory that let the Dragons overcome a 1-0 deficit in the series. Fall down 2-0 and Manhattan could be playing the Jets this week.

The young player that I am looking for to make a name for themselves is Mike Izzy. An enthusiastic and vital member of the Dragons future, Izzy has stepped up this season bringing a gritty physical game, leading the team in hits during the regular season with 192, which was badly missing from a team of aging soft vets. Mike combined with Joe K are the face and future of the Dragons and will make their mark on the finals. Although Mike Izzy has struggled to find the back of the net this post season, his physicality on the ice has opened up space for other Dragons players to create. Leading the team in the playoffs with 61 hits in 17 games Izzy's physical nature has left the mark this post season, and will be a huge part of whatever success the Dragons have in the future. And as one of those aging soft vets, its nice to pass the torch on to an amazing teammate.

What I would do to change the outcome of the series is pretty simple. I would go into the sim and have Richard C Hocolate save more pucks. If only that was possible!! In all honesty though, having played in the SHL for nearly 20 seasons, and for the first time playing like complete crap, I would have played Nicholas Pedersen as little as possible, and given more ice time to players like Joe K and Randy Randleman. coming off a 21 point campaign, with playing a quarter of the year with the two superstars above, Pedersen was awful, and finally found his way on the third line, much deserved demotion. However, the last 10 games of the season, there was a glitter of hope for Old Peds. That ended quickly in the playoffs and the shitty playing continued. If there was a 5th line, that is where Peds should have played. Giving Mike Izzy more playing time could have helped change things, but I doubt it, since the sim is the sim, and randomness seems to always happen.

I've been in the finals 7 times. One finals the winning team won 4 games in OT, and got killed in the other 3. My first cup win saw the dragons go down 3 games to 0, only to come back and win it all. So random. This year was the first time I've ever seen back to back 4-0 shutouts. Crazy random shit, so bench Pedersen. Outcome would have been different.

[Image: mstuk41.gif]
[Image: 35884_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png][Image: nHs4nH0.png]