Create Account

The Little Lamb

Ready to grade - 736 words

[Image: slovakia.jpg]

In Czech, the word beránek means “lamb.”  Like many cultures, there was a time when Slovak surnames also served as a distinguishing mark for the individual, rather than his lineage.  Thus, the Beránek name was bestowed upon those with kind, even-tempered demeanors.

More than a few decades later, a descendent of some unknown kind, even-tempered little lamb played a brand of hockey that instead made the opposition look sheepish.

Standing 6’8” and weighing in at 245 pounds, Roman Beránek was an imposing presence any time he took the ice.  He was already making his mark before he ever played for a professional team, representing the Slovakian national team at just 16 years old.

Beránek was eventually drafted by the Hartford Huskies of the Premier Hockey League, blocking 107 shots during a minor league season with the New England Narwhals.  By the time he got the call to the big leagues, the Huskies had relocated to Charlotte, North Carolina.  It was there that Beránek would become a mainstay for the city’s new team, the Charlotte Bootleggers.

Beránek immediately established himself as one of the best defensemen in the league, with 84 takeaways and 83 blocked shots in his rookie season.  Within three seasons, he was an alternate captain with the team.  Over the following years, he was a mainstay within the top five in the league in hits, blocked shots and takeaways. 

Beránek was the definition of the unsung hero.  He would eventually be named captain of the Bootleggers before a shocking retirement from the PHL in his late 20s, opting instead to move back overseas and play for Kohout HC in the Czech Republic.  While beloved in Charlotte for his selfless play and defensive tenacity, Beránek was never recognized with honors or awards for his defensive play, nor invited to an All-Star Game.  Without offense to match, his career flew largely under the radar for those outside the Queen City.

There would eventually be a coaching career of little fanfare.  There would also be a new hockey-playing Beránek, a genuine little lamb.

Yes, he’s only 17.  Maybe he’ll grow some more.  However, at only 5’10” and 175 pounds, it seems unlikely Zdenko Beránek will ever reach his father’s mesmerizing physical size.

“Yeah, everyone gets a good laugh out of it,” says the younger Beránek.  “I’ve heard all the usual jokes.  Were you adopted?  Was it the mailman?  Did the stork drop you off at the wrong house?”

People may speculate on Zdenko’s lineage, but there’s no guessing he shares Roman’s passion for hockey.  With that passion, he has carved out his own path to a professional career, despite a completely different skillset.

“I think he was faster at 14 than I was at 24,” says Roman with a chuckle.  “Yeah, being small helps, but he’s so damn fast.”

If Roman Beránek’s game was thunder, devastating hits, crushing checks, towering between wishful shooters and the twine, Zdenko is lightning.  One second, he’s reading the game like a professional’s son, positioning himself defensively for an interception.  The next, he’s one-on-one in front of a goalie.

“I’m not sure what’s scarier, his speed or his hands,” said one scout.  “It’s bad enough that he spreads you out with how fast he is.  Then he just does things with the puck that don’t even seem possible.”

That speed and offensive ability masks the fact that Zdenko is also a reliable defender.  Watching his father for so many years, it’s clear he learned many of the important positional nuances of defensive hockey, even if he doesn’t play with the same physical reckless abandon.

“One of the first things my dad showed me when I started getting really serious about wanting to play hockey as more than just a fun fame was a compilation someone had put on YouTube with some of his biggest hits,” recalls Zdenko.  “And he’d go back and rewind on some of the biggest hits, especially when the guy was, let’s say, overmatched.

“After it was over, he said, ‘See this? Now, the only time you’re ever getting on a video like this is by being that guy,’ pointing to some poor bastard that was bleeding out of his nose and getting peeled off the ice by his training staff.  He got the point across that I was going to have to make my own name, to say the least.”

To this point, Zdenko has done that.  However, the biggest challenge awaits, as he will soon file entry for the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League Draft. 

“I know it will be an uphill battle,” says Zdenko.  “But this is what I’ve dreamed of doing since I was a kid, so now it’s time to make it happen.”

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Roman was blocking the wrong shots in the wrong sport

[Image: 3.png]