Create Account

S63 SHL Graphics Tournament: Pro/Am & Noob
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022, 02:45 AM by Carpy48.)

The SHL Graphics Department Presents:
[Image: Jnq8wga.png]

Highly anticipated and finally back: the Pro/Am Tournament is here again for the fourth time! New and improved!
The Pro/Am & Noob Tournament!

If you're a newer member here or don't remember the previous tournaments, here is an explanation:

This tournament will combine the skills of multiple artists. In the past we've had teams of two, a so-called "pro" and an "amateur" that worked together. 
In this new edition we will go a step further and teams will have three (3) members: a "pro", an "amateur" and a "bloody beginner" (or simply a graphics "noob"). If you are interested and would like to participate, please make sure to read how this is going to work this time. 

Competitors will announce their entry by filling out this google form and posting their verification word as a reply to this thread. The form has some further explanation about each skill level so you should be able to find a level suitable to your own graphics skills.

Pros should know which level to sign up for, but if you feel you might be somewhere between noob and amateur, you have the option to sign up for both skill levels and we will put you into a group that needs a member of a certain level. If you have submitted graphics before, we will use those skills to determine your level in this situation. If you do select both levels, we will inform you before the contest starts which skill level you are signed up for. If you don't hear anything from us prior to the contest, you are in the skill group you signed up for. Either way, keep an eye out for the announcement.

When the contests starts, the noobs begin their work and submit their graphics to @Gordon Bombay ('Gordon Bombay#9919' on discord). The graphics will then be sent to the amateurs of each team who will make their edits and they will also send their graphics to @Gordon Bombay. In the third and final step, the graphics will be sent to the pros of each team who will finish everything and submit the final wallpaper to @Gordon Bombay. When all groups are finished, voting will start. Deadlines for each step will be announced later.

TL;DR:
Step 1: Sign up here as noob, amateur or professional: Google form
Step 2: Post your verification word in this thread.
Step 3: Wait for sign-ups to close and the tournament's official start. There will be another post where all "noobs" are tagged.

Sign-ups end a week from now on Thursday, February 10th (midnight EST).

Thank you all for signing up, the teams will be announced soon along with the official start of the tournament.

Next steps: First we will announce the "noobs" of each team and after we have received all their submissions we will randomly assign an amateur to each team, again wait for all their submissions and then assign a pro to each team. So before we haven't received all submissions for each level we won't know yet who will be in which team.

Content
Each graphic needs to include a render of a current or former SMJHL or SHL player. It also needs to include a jersey swap of that player's team with correct team colors as well as the player's name.
Your final submission should be a standard wallpaper size: 1920x1080px.

Creation Process
Step 1: After sign-ups have closed, the noob will make a partial graphic first. That includes an image of render on a white (or preferably transparent) background. The noob should also add a short description message that will be passed on to the amateur so they know what player is on the image. Noobs: Make sure to select an image with a high enough resolution.

Step 2: The noob will privately share their file and message with @Gordon Bombay ('Gordon Bombay#9919' on discord). The file must be a JPG or a PNG. No PSD files allowed!

Step 3: Each amateur will be randomly matched with a noob and receives the file from us to work with. We will also announce the noob/amateur duos publicly at this point, so if the amateur wishes to contact their partner, they can do so.

Step 4: The amateur will work on a jersey swap and/or add a custom background to the image. Need resources? Look here.

Step 5: The amateur submits their group's graphics (again, share it with @Gordon Bombay). They should include any information they have received from the noob and can add their own short message. Again, JPG or PNG, no PSD.

Step 6: Each pro will be randomly matched with a noob/amateur duo and receives the image their team has been working on previously. Any messages from noob/amateur will be passed onto the pro as well in this step. We will announce the final teams of 3 on the forum as well now.

Step 7: The pro will correct any visible mistakes, change the image size if necessary, add proper text and whatever they think needs to be added and then will submit the final wallpaper (JPG/PNG) to @Gordon Bombay.

Step 8: Voting commences.

Tournament
A bracket-style tournament will be voted upon by your peers. The voting will occur in the forum. You will be able to see all three versions of the final submission including the two 'work in progress' versions from noob and amateur.
Prizes

The winning team will split $18,000,000 SHL dollars (= $6M for each group member). 
The second place team will split $12,000,000 SHL dollars (= $4M for each group member).
The third place team will split $7,500,000 SHL dollars (= $2.5M for each group member).

Submissions that do not win prize money are eligible to be submitted for grading and will receive 3x (triple!) pay in the wallpaper category and this must be marked in the submission post. Only one member of the group can submit it (final wallpaper only, no work in progress version). If the pay is to be split - amongst two or all three members of the group - please note that in writing in the post, e.g. "split pay evenly between all three" or "pay half to A and half to B" or "pay everything to C".

FAQ

Am I an amateur or a professional?

In earlier contests we made the cut in how much money you have previously earned with graded graphis or how high your maximum grades have been. In this contest you should decide yourself where to place yourself based on the tasks. We might have to move some people into other levels if we can't fill up groups of 3 otherwise, but if that happens we will contact you privately.

How can I upload my submission?

There are many popular image hosting services on the internet. Imgur.com is a popular one. You can also message Gordon Bombay#9919 on discord, and drag your file into the discussion area.

Can I contact my group partner(s) once the teams have been announced?

Yes, but you don't have to. The "noob" is asked to give a short message to the "amateur" so they know which player is on the image and the amateur will forward the same information and anything else they wish to add to the "pro".

I have to drop out of the contest, because I don't have enough time to finish my task. What should I do?

Please inform us as soon as possible and don't wait until the deadline is over. That way we can try to find a replacement for you.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to @Gordon Bombay, @Carpy48 or @ctots either here or on discord (and join us in the graphics discord if you haven't done so yet).

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

turtlebabies

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Rags

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Loveproams

[Image: sulov.gif]

sburb

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

Nhamlet

[Image: Cracker_Pizza_sig.png?ex=6516546d&is=651...bb4003576&]
[Image: pride23gif.gif]

Letsgoo

this

Daisy

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Toast

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Biggest

[Image: qlfNSs6.png][Image: tfifKNV.png]
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

[Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png]

[Image: jO2Di2N.png][Image: jO2Di2N.png]

sausage

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

awordofyourchoice

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2022, 05:03 AM by FlappyGiraffe.)

Grease

Also for anyone new to graphics signing up I highly recommend using the largest size images you can since the final product needs to be pretty high resolution. Should increase your odds of winning by a good margin

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

Factotum