Create Account

S63 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 11:49 PM by mer.)

Code:
One (1) affiliate claim from either PBE,  WSBL or the ISFL will be accepted for 3 TPE!

PBE Affiliate +3

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

froggie

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Los Angeles has been riding their top players for almost a full minute more of ice time than Hamilton has theirs. If you were a coach, do you buy into this strategy? Do you let your top guys leave it all out there every night or aim for the most balanced attack possible?

Yeah, in the few times I've messed around in FHM, I try to give the top two forward lines and the top defense lines extra minutes. I'd rather have them out there, and as long as they have a lot of stamina they should be able to handle it. I can't speak to how effective it is, but it seems like a good way to run things.

67 words

Code:
12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

+ 3 TPE

Code:
18. Written, 3 TPE, zzSnoop Lionzz 150 words min
Well it happened. A general strike by the goalie union led to a mass retirement of goalies and now ALL of them have either quit the site (based) or recreated as a skater. HO has implemented a bot goalie system, but decided goalies were too underpowered and gave the goalies 20 in every stat, even the mental ones we can't upgrade. How does the season play out now that goalies are gods (godbots?) among men. Does anything really change?

The first goalie goal is thought to be an issue in FHM. Goalies haven't really even had shots before - there isn't even a shots category in FHM for goalie shots. But then, in the next day's sim, a goalie scores three goals. After that, it's a massacre. Goalie PIMs go through the roof. No goalie finishes a game with under 10 PIMs. All file workers are sure that injuries are turned off, but players are dropping like flies in the sim. The goalies are smashing them beyond playing conditions if they so much as look at the crease. In fact, a forward even gets maimed at the hash marks. We've flipped from goalies not mattering to goalies running the entire game. Fantasy drafts have changed so that you draft four goalies, one forward, and one defender. There's only two people in each fantasy group. It's absolute insanity. But, Edmonton won a cup so I guess it's all good.

159 words

Code:
20. Written, 3 TPE, Free Advertising 150 words min
If you're in another sim league and are using 4 of those CW tasks here, you can do this task to advertise that league in your CW. What league is it? Is it fun? How does it work? What are the pros/cons of that league, especially in comparison to the SHL?

I used this week's PT from PBE - Pro Baseball Experience. I'm entering my 2nd season there, but it's a blast. I love the sim engine - all I want from sim engines are little dudes running around and that's exactly what PBE has. Amazing and spectacular. I love PBE most though for how easy TPE gaining is. I've done everything for SHL - I keep the tabs open for anything that's due soon, I use asron bot to check if I've updated, and I just started using bbjygm's insane bot that lets you know if you haven't done a PT yet. It saved me from forgetting IIHF predictions. But really, I don't know if I would need any of those if we had the tpe-pt-updates channel that PBE does. It lists every PT opportunity with a link, and states when it's due. Incredibly helpful and I love it so so much every league needs that. Also I like PBE forum's games a lot. I can see them going awry here, but I still think they could be fun.

179 words

16/16

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

1. (3)
Cap

2. (6)
Back in my day when the Simulation Hockey League was first starting which was about 63 something years ago but that might be wrong because I do not count no good now a days since the accident back in ‘43 which makes it rough to remember if we used to smoke on the ice because that sort of thing could be normal back then which would be super rough on the memory. But I do think I remember ol billy bob banjo cracking out the banjo during intermission that one time way back when things were still back on the old sim format you know how it was with the things and the doohickies and the whatchamacallits and he would crack out that banjo, good ol billy bob banjo, and play it way old and good back in my day I tell you what kids these days d not know just how good they have it you know what I am saying?

21. (8)
I think the most difficult thing you could do to make someone like Leviadan’s life more difficult after they have made the grave mistake of becoming the Point Task Director is to constantly bitch and moan and whine about all the ways things could be better without actually doing anything to make them better yourself and make sure you complain as much as possible on public forums like the Thunderdome just to especially whip everyone up into a frenzy to make complaining the standard until it fills into the responses for the prompts like a negative feedback loop because that would just be crazy and no one would ever do that huh

13 (11)
Unfortunately I do not think that because the Los Angeles Panthers made the finals for the first time in forever and a new team in the finals was a nice thing to see but it was also probably the first time that has happened since maybe the Edmonton Blizzard made the finals which was such a long time ago. Parity is anything but solved and is going to continue to be a brutal thing for all people involved because we have not been able to figure out how to forget the situation of Hamilton and somehow it is not their fault entirely not at all. Parity is being worked on by the Head Office and I am extremely thankful for the work they do but I feel it will continue to be an uphill battle until somehow we can find a systematic change that makes people value the fun of the entire league instead of their own personal stat padding like the selfish people they are

12 (13)
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3184989 claiming 2 TPE from milestones

4. (16)
In the millions upon millions of years that existed prior to the Simulation Hockey League, there once was a long and storied history of the DHL, the Dinosaurs Hockey League. This was a fantastical and ridiculous set of leagues that featured dinosaurs on ice skates in the incredible supercontinent Pangea, where dinosaurs of all eras somehow played together. There were spinosauruses that played net and blocked with their gigantic back fan while the brontosauruses would use their long necks to try and get around the opposing dinosaurs. After that there were monstrous Tyrannosaurus Rex players that would stomp on their competition and scream until they got their way, so things haven’t changed much there. This League was truly a fantastic place to watch until they all ended up realizing there was a single best way to play the game and that resulted in the same team winning over and over. Thankfully this issue was rectified by the giant meteor that proceeded to wipe out all life on the planet.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 07:22 PM by bjkman.)

1. Trivia +3

Bosh

11. Procrastinator Special +2

The season is over and parity still does not exist, the Los Angeles Panthers were nearly the heroes to all, but they fell to the kings of the Simulation Hockey League, the Hamilton Steelhawks JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE. It's insane, after the Panthers came out shooting in a Game 1 in Hamilton, I know that many of us thought we were in a time of change but just like we all knew was going to happen, Hamilton said... yeah, I know what we need to do... winning the next two games by multiple goals. Los Angeles one 1 more, but Hamilton took home another trophy with two more dominant victories to end with a 4-2 series win. Oh well.

Code:
119 Words

12. Milestones +3

LINK

18. God Goalies +3

Last year, the commissioner of the SHL said "Goalies are making too many mistakes", and the goalies union took that personally, asking the commissioner to resign and apologize. When they did not, all the goalies retired immediately, and robot goalies went into effect. After a few preseason malfunctions, the higher-ups learned just to put coats on them to stop them from freezing and the rest is history. The Robot Goalies total only allowed 38 goals the entire season, with Bot Goalie 27, nicknamed "the puck murderer", never allowed a goal all season. He was called that because he broke pucks every time he saved them, an issue that soon became a feature. He was quoted saying "Beep Boop, you puny humans, I'm just stealing another one of your jobs haha" which hit close to home for a lot of people. Dick Move Robot! Please come back Human Goalies. We miss you, with all your faults.

Code:
155 words

20. Free Advertising +3

The most recent Sim League I've joined after the SHL is the phenomenal WSBL which stands for the World Simulation Basketball League, this sim league started last year and has grown substantially since the first release. I'll admit, as one of the first members I did not know how it would work or if it would last even through the first season, but WOW was I mistaken, the boost of original members were soon outnumbered by new folks, CAUSING AN EXPANSION AFTER THE FIRST SEASON! Now, with season 3 set to begin this week, it's soon exciting to be a part of a league that is so fresh and so knew. And while that makes the SHL seem old and outdated, that isn't close to the truth. Both SHL and WSBL have so many games to sim through that it keeps them interesting and causes a lot of fluctuation throughout the season. Now I don't know if the WSBL will make it 60 seasons. But I'll tell you I don't plan to quit any time soon.

Code:
176 Words

21. PT Director +2

I've thought about becoming a PT director I time, I applied and heard nothing back but as soon as they picked a replacement in that sim league. I KNEW I DODGED A BULLET. Imagine making sure you post something creative and new every week in the early morning hours for someone to not even really care about and just does the bare minimum. That just sucks, so now with the new guy in charge, I cannot wait to do JUST THAT MWAHAHAHAH. When next season comes around you are getting 150 words on the dot. Not a word more, you don't deserve that. Lol, have fun.

Code:
106 Words

+16 TPE

Did Ya Get It?

[Image: OwNf3O9.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 07:40 PM by Fitted2106.)

2. Back in my day we didn't give a fuck trailer hit me with water guns every day because fucker thumb titties were wet boy and all Tom fiddler did was also peeled the floor because no one gave a fuck cause that's what dogs do repealed the fucking floor also by the way fuck regression because regression didn't exist in my day and I never gave a fuck about a God damn thing cause like DMX said where's my dog's at also I'd never seen nutty dog come to a fucking table bay barracuda game I'll hear talking shit but you love to say about how I look at my Jersey actually like I don't give a fuck about the bay but all I ever did was sleigh I'm the baddest dude out here fuck you mean young fitted until I die and nobody else better say a goddamn word about Tampa Bay.

3. My French eyes last want a cup with a word Seattle where all it does is rain now we're in Tampa Bay next to the bay you know we're bitches getting naked and shit up there and Seattle and it doing nothing but Raymond hoes is wearing nothing but raincoats who the fuck's trying to win a cup up air that shit's butt like for real just wait till we were discussed that here and we got bitches on Molly where nothing but Dolly's literally walking around while I pushed them on a dolly and when the trolley comes all I'm gonna do is call Trella and let him know that the bitches are here cause you know they love travel aged shit that's what the fuck we do we get these hoes yeah I'm saying so the rest of you pussies and the rest of you bitches but I'll never come out my boys again cause it's like 64 and the next time I would sex again it's the time when it's 65 and we never gave a fuck about feeling alive so fuck your pussies and also.

4.I The dinosaurs who wrote the SHL before me obviously never heard my mixtape hello hello They weren't shit they could never even handle a fucking torch to my flame a fucking piece to my name I was always the greatest even when I had short T. Rex storms you guys act like extensions can get rid of fitted nothing can get rid of fitted nothing can get rid of fitted not even the snap backs not even fitted hats not even a fitted fadora because the last thing I ever heard was T. Rex calling my mom to give her a couple of verbs that she used for jeopardy and the rest of you bitches could never even sleep on me even if you acted like you had metal epsy or epilepsy or something else cause I don't even know fucking doctors and shit you know they're right prescriptions you guys are nothing man come out my neck and get what Tampa's on this shit cause it's a rap boy

Milestones
24 goals
14 pims
112 hits.
Won't let me link

Fitted cw verified trivia

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

CW Trivia
Verification word slurp ( 13 TPE)

Six whole decades, my goodness. What was it like back in Season Uno? Well I have no idea, and I don't think any of you do either. But what I can do is lie… I mean imagine. So many mustaches. Everywhere. Everyone. Mustache galore. Smoking like crazy. I mean players were smoking during plays, coaches smoking, fans smoking, even the stray cat in the rafters was smoking. Cigarette butts everywhere, and the poor people on the tvs would have never been able to see the game because of the smoke. No one was overly muscular, no one had six packs, the only six packs they had was the beer on the bench. These guys would finish a game, smoke another pack and go home. Wake up and go to their day time jobs, there was no practice and no lounging around. People with asthma back then did not make it very far, I'll tell you that.

4) Dino league, I have only heard rumors about it. I didn't realize it was real. Rumor is that the commissioner was Garry Rexman, a big T-Rex that stomped on small-time guys. Instead of an ice rink there were little places before the Ice-Age where there were spots of frozen lake, stick could be picked easily. Best wingers in the day were the Raptors with their speed, of the best was Jonathan Rapturdeau. Center wise we needed some big boy. Usually you saw Spinosaurus, but one that made it famous was Jarret Spurgeonsaorous. Defense we had usually Triceratops, usually with their devastating hip checks. The best was Scott Steventops. One who nowadays might be considered dirty if he played. The best goalie of all time in those days was a big big boy in a brachiosaurus. Best of course was Martin Brachideur. What a league it was back then, it was a bloodbath. Literal one since half the time the game never finished and everyone ate each other.

6)
a) It's the Challenge Cup, your big guys are the ones that need to step up and produce. Hamilton has the luxury of riding their depth players and resting their top guys. But for LA they need that win and have to get those points for their top line. Its really their only play.

b) Speed in my opinion might be the best way to beat them. They are so good and have been good for so long but are now getting older. Speed on the outside might be the best way to try and get them off their angle. But honestly they have seen everything and anything, so it might be hard to truly beat them.

c) For a whole 5 man attack that LAP is doing, the opposing team really needs to bunker down defensively, all 5 of their own players need to know where to be and be positionally sound. That full offense has a downside of a free counter attack. If defensively held Hamilton can easily attack and have an odd man rush the other way.

d) For goaltenders that are playing as hot as these are, the only way to truly break them is to get a goal. Shooting from tough angles, and shooting from anywhere and everywhere. If you can get a greasy goal on them, you have a potential threat of breaking the dam wide open on them.

+3 TPE - Milestone

[Image: vikian.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 08:18 PM by Dhoop.)

1. Brandon

2. Wow 62 years ago! I believe the league started one day in a neighborhood a group of kids started forming 3v3 teams on the local pond. As the kids grew up they started requiring uniforms and getting local sponsors for their teams. One thing lead to another they were in college coming back on weekends for game nights and all pitched in to build a arena. This lead to more teams travel games and city teams. We have come along way from our roots. When original players grew up they did not wear helmets and when of age they even smoked and drank alcohol on the bench, these were wild times. We have come along way since the beginning and the league is really doing well. We owe it all to those imaginative kids. Lets hope we can live up to their dreams and keep pushing to make the league even better.

(155 Words)

3. Well TBB hasn't won a cup YET, and the last time the franchise won was S18 I believe. That was a century ago! I would only imaging the team was the finesse puck moving type. I believe they were the type that was solid from 1st line to 4th line. It would have been a team built for a run and down. They would have been savvy vets used to make that one year their last since it was not a repeated cup contender. I think their intangibles were grit and hardwork. They fought fr ever loose puck and used defense to create offense. They would trap hard in the neutral zone and counter with unrelenting power. I wish I was here when they won so I could have seen true hockey at its finest. This will all be coming back with the future TBB squad coming soon. The cup is coming back to TBB.

(156 words)

6. a) This one is tough, some would think balance it out and keep legs fresh, while some would let the horses run. I look at the current NHL team EDM and how McDavid's line averages about a min more then the second line and they seem to have success being the top points getters last few years. Now, with this said it depends how the second and third lines are. If the lines are balanced and pull their own weight I would balance the attack more.
  b) So for avoiding the blocks you really need to focus on who you line up against these guys. I would look at my roster and see who had the highest Getting Open rating. The more you spread the puck out the hard it is to get in front of the puck for a block. They are block a lot of shot from the point so, pair up players who can get up with players pointmen who can move the puck and you should see some success get clean shots.
  c) This would be set by lining up my more defensive forwards with their more offensive defensemen. Really try and get stick checking, hitting, and positioning up to help counter the forward pressure five men are bringing. Maybe up some 3rd line time to counter if your 3rd line is built for more defense.
  d) I would really rattle them with net front presence. I would look to get the garbage area players and good screeners some soldi playing time in the zone to really cut the eyes out of their goalie. The more you limit the vision the better the chances to get solid chances. muck it up in front and power home some goals.

(293 Words)

12. Milestones

16 TPE

[Image: image.png?ex=65728e45&is=65601945&hm=aa5...7eb2e58f9&][Image: vanbiesbrouck_ff.png?ex=6578c8f6&is=6566...a506d1cd1&]
Sig by adamantium

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Slimer

Quote:2. Written, 3 TPE, Back In My Day (150 words min.)
The SHL has been around for the sim-time equivalent of 63 years now! That’s a lot of time for things to change. What was the league like 62 years ago in season one? Did nobody wear helmets? Were players allowed to smoke on the ice? Plenty would have changed in over six decades!

I am pretty sure back in season one everything was in black and white, even games shown on TV. There was total segregation, not by race, creed, sex or gender but no aliens or alien overlords or possible spies with names like Name Redacted or Firstname Lastname. Just normal people. Of course they smoked on the ice, they smoked off the ice too. It was illegal to play the game of SHL Hockey without some form of tobacco in your mouth. Helmets? Who needs em. Heck I even heard they found a bullet proof vest in the SHL Hall of Fame that belonged to a player. The game was that rough. Also I heard rumors that there was beer in the squirt bottles, not some fancy schmancy sports drink, beer and whisky only. Thankfully times have changed and alien overlords can enjoy the game that we love right along side with us. Though I guarantee at least some players still have whisky or beer in their squirt bottles.

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE, Extinction Event (150 words min.)
Rumour has it that millions of years before the SHL began, there was a pre-historic “Dino Hockey League” that dominated the global sports market before a meteor wiped out most life on the planet. Describe that ancient league. Maybe name a couple of teams or players, tell me about how the Dino league’s rules differed from our current ones? This one is pretty loose, just have fun with it!

Dino Hockey League still exists in some form, the Colorado Raptors are the legacy team of one of the DHL's most fearsome teams. The Pangea Pterodactyls. There were six original teams other than the PPs, the Grand Rapids Raptors, the La Brea Tigers, the Florida Megalodons, The Jurassic Rex and the Texas Trikes. As the temps in the Jurassic were too high to support ice in the known Dino hot spots that we know of they played a game of hockey known to us today as street ball. They played their game primarily on the hardened former lava flows which served as a primitive asphalt and used turtle shells or rocks as a puck. Checking was allowed of course but came with the threat of injuries, especially against teams like the Trikes (Triceratops) and the Rex (T-Rex). The Pterodactyls had a dive bomb maneuver where they would drop the puck directly into the net though that was discontinued as it was impossible to check or otherwise strip the puck from them.

Quote:6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Los Angeles has been riding their top players for almost a full minute more of ice time than Hamilton has theirs. If you were a coach, do you buy into this strategy? Do you let your top guys leave it all out there every night or aim for the most balanced attack possible?
b. Guy O'Shea and Evangelos Giannopoulos have been absolute block machines for Hamilton in the playoffs with 109 between them. If you’re looking for offense in this series, how do you get around these two defensemen?
d. The starting goalies for these teams, Olof Karsikko and A Jobin have been nearly unbeatable up to this point with a 0.937 and a 0.927 SV% respectively. If you’re a player on the other team, how would you get inside their heads so that you can put the puck in the net?

A. When you're playing for the challenge cup its almost a slap in the face to say the top guys don't leave it all out on the ice. Of course its good time management to balance the attack but only if you're playing from an advantage. Otherwise, you are out there grinding it until the horn sounds.

B. When you're playing against great two way defensemen like the ones mentioned the word of the day is shutdown. Separate them as much as possible and shut them down either against the boards or roll third line grinders out to keep them away from the play and off the major shooting points.

D. Playing against world class goalies like them you have to keep them on their toes by forcing them to have double vision and eyes behind their mask. A constant barrage of shots doesn't work against them, you need to play to their weakness, screening and quick puck movement, roving behind nets and to the blind spot.

Quote:11a. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator! Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Was it an exciting final, or predictable? Did anything surprise you about the outcome? What players performed above or below what was expected of them?

Honestly I said what I felt needed to be said in the parity thread some time ago. No, I am not surprised Hamilton won and yes that disappoints me to the point I am just incredibly tired by all of this. I didn't even want to do the CW because what's the point anymore? No, the outcome didn't surprise me and no player from Hamilton surprised me. Honestly, pick any player from Hamilton and say they surprised you and you're lying bar none. I am happy to see HO making the moves to fix this so come find me next season and see if there is any change in my mood on this.

Quote:12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

+2 TPE

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 08:35 PM by Wongy.)

Task 1
IDeedIt

Task 2
Back in my day, it was much more easier to get offence. Just the development of our training over the years has become so much more advanced and progressed, that now all areas of everyone’s game is elite, and it takes one single advantage for someone to be even better than the rest in just one area. Back in the day, all the superstars of the league pretty much played the same style, it was almost just a competition on which team could get the most, and go on a hot streak at the right time. Now, we play in a day and age where each player can train all aspects of their game. This seems to have caused for a lot more entertaining watches for not only the fans, but players seem to be even more motivated to just be better than the rest. There’s also a lot more parity in terms of who the superstars are, every team has a few guys who can step up for them each season, where back in the day, you could pretty much predict every team MVP.

Task 3
The Pride have yet to win their first Challenge Cup, but I’m really hoping the team can follow the motto of the two teams past Wongs have been on. Hunter Wong’s Calgary Dragons, and Gabriel Wong’s West Kendall Platoon. Both teams had two things that they could rely on, a strong leader, and a reliable goaltender. When the leader, the GM of the team can control all the tactics with lines, lead by example with their own player and motivate the others to keep getting better, then the whole team just comes to form. And when the GM can just trust their goaltender to be not only all in on the franchise, but to just do their job, then it all just simply comes together. Calgary had that, the Platoon had that. While we’re in a different sim engine now, both teams got multiple cups in a short span with those formulas.

Task 4
Dino hockey league, there wasn’t necessarily an arena, but get a huge boulder, and 2 large things that you can knock over with this said boulder. There was no area of space that can comprehend 5 on 5 dino battle, so the dino hockey league could only be played 3 on 3 with no goaltenders. The only way to get a point, break what ever large object you get with the boulder. The dinos can do whatever they need to beat out another dino to the boulder, and they can hurl it to their teammates however they need to, the one rule, you cannot bite or eat fellow competitors or spectators. There were way too many times before these rules were made, some competitors became lunch or dinner. And obviously, in hockey now, if you break a rule, you’re penalized. However, if you bite or attempt to eat a dinosaur, you’re automatically kicked and banned from the area, and your team must play the rest of the match down a dino.

Task 6
A) Yes, I do buy into this strategy. If your best players are capable of playing more and it’s not impacting their play, then your best players should be on the ice whenever it makes sense. I would rather lose a game, series or season riding on the players that got me there, then not playing them when I think resting them was necessary, when they were really ready.

B) To get around players who are able to block shots this effectively, you need to start being more patient and changing your timing. Take a second longer and make an extra move to get around, fake a shot, throw more passes than usual and get the puck back for a shot. Or even getting creative and faking a shot and then saucing it over to an open guy.

C) You can prepare for a 5 man attack a couple a ways actually. One way, if you want, you can anticipate it and just be ready to play defence whenever they attack, waiting for a dman to pinch a step too far, and go for a quick counter attack pace. Another effective way, just maintain the puck. Don’t force things, make sure you keep puck session and keep the puck away from them. Be patient and maintain puck control, don’t let them counter attack on you.

D) Shots, shots and more shots. If all of your normal shots aren’t going in, your extra nice passes aren’t going in, you’re just gonna have to get dirty. Rebound goals, scrambles in front, just cause chaos in front of the net. Even if you don’t get a goal, make it uncomfortable for each goaltender. No goaltender likes the chaos in front of the net and being bounced around.

[Image: 53381_s.gif]

[Image: 49370_s.gif]

[Image: uKp7Piy.png]

Code:
1. Team Canada , Benjamin Wong 1 (Jay McDonald) at 8:49
first ever Canadian Olympic goal

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

TBB

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE, Extinction Event (150 words min.)
Rumour has it that millions of years before the SHL began, there was a pre-historic “Dino Hockey League” that dominated the global sports market before a meteor wiped out most life on the planet. Describe that ancient league. Maybe name a couple of teams or players, tell me about how the Dino league’s rules differed from our current ones? This one is pretty loose, just have fun with it!

Millions of years ago, dinosaurs walked the Earth. Some of them had decided that all the fighting for territory was not worth the effort anymore and formed the "Dino Hockey League." Now, the DHL was very different from what we have today as they did not have skates back then. Additionally, vast amounts of the pre-historic world was too warm to maintain good ice. So instead they played on the only thing they new how to, the salt flats of the deserts. Once a year, they would gather together on the flats with a giant ball and play what is the equivalent of field hockey today. The rules were extremely simple: score more goals than your opponent by any means necessary. As such, everything from cheapshots to straight murder was allowed. That is, until the Bloodbath on the Flats in 289M BC. The Raptors had had enough of being ganged up on for their small size by the larger carnivores and struck a deal with the Stegos and TriTops. Together, they formed a super team that literally turned every opponent to mush. The Stegos would protect the Raptors and TriTops while they collided with and tore their opponents apart. After the game, all sides agreed that hockey would never exist again.

Quote:6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
b. Guy O'Shea and Evangelos Giannopoulos have been absolute block machines for Hamilton in the playoffs with 109 between them. If you’re looking for offense in this series, how do you get around these two defensemen?
c. Los Angeles’ defense, on the other hand, has not been afraid to join the play and put up points. How do you prepare for a five player offensive attack? How do you counter?
d. The starting goalies for these teams, Olof Karsikko and A Jobin have been nearly unbeatable up to this point with a 0.937 and a 0.927 SV% respectively. If you’re a player on the other team, how would you get inside their heads so that you can put the puck in the net?

a. There are definite pros and cons to riding your top players longer. On the positive side, if they continue to put up points and are not a detriment to the rest of the team you let it continue. On the negative, that may not be sustainable over the long haul. If I was the coach, I would look to make sure they still put up decent minutes but make their matchups a bit easier. Make it so that every minute they play is less taxing than the other team's.
b. The easiest way to get around blocking machines is to pull them out of position. If a player has a lot of blocks, that means they are giving you the space to play with the puck more. Increase the cycle and more low-to-high plays will force the players to move, potentially opening up lanes for shooters to take advantage of.
c. In order to prepare for a full 5-player offense, you have to rely on strong skating and good positioning. Keeping 1-2 players back closer to the blue line in the event of a turnover can help the goalie have an easier time watching the play unfurl. Also, when the chance comes, have a player hang high a bit to go on your own breakaway when the other team inevitably makes a mistake.
d. As with anything, making it harder for the goalie to see the puck is key. This is a bit of a mix of the blocking defenders. If you are able to move the puck around more and make it harder for both the defense and the goalie to track you can eventually open up seams where a good shot can get through. Placing a forward near the crease can then also take advantage of any rebounds/blocks that may be produced as well.

Quote:12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

+3 TPE - Milestones

Quote:14. Written, 3 TPE, Blew it up (150 words min.)
In your opinion, which team is has performed a successful rebuild and built a legacy around starting from the bottom? What constitutes a successful rebuild? Cups? Playoff appearances? Is this team still poised to do great things in the future?

In my completely biased opinion, I believe that the Tampa Bay Barracuda have made the truest rebuild in the FHM era of the league. The team went from a literal 0 win season to now regularly making it to the playoffs. Yes, they haven't made it to the finals yet, but as we have seen repeatedly the finals, and the league as a whole, are dominated by just a few teams. Until that parity is fixed (hopefully through the changes to the cap space and the regression updates) we will see more teams be able to compete for the championship. Tampa Bay's window has not closed as they continue to bring in strong players each season who will help them keep pushing, despite losing some key members over the last couple of seasons. Those players will be missed but everyone else will work to make them proud. No other team has gone from a complete laughing stock to perennial playoff member in such little time.

[Image: jericson112.gif]
[Image: 5p7vOwY.png][Image: NA3IV5m.png]

1.CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE – verification word: word

2. Written, 3 TPE, Back In My Day (180 words)
Compared to the '80s and '90s, the game today looks stronger than ever. Our players are bigger, faster, and possess more skill than over 95 percent of the players from previous decades. Coaching strategies have evolved, and year-round conditioning is a must for every player.
Of course, with the evolution of the game, there is an evolution of the equipment our boys wear. Not only are goalie pads bigger, but they weigh feathers compared to the leather they sported decades ago.
Players are using composite sticks as opposed to using a heavy piece of lumber. This allows players to hammer the puck with increased power in hopes of surprising the goaltender.
Let's take a look at the art of the slap shot. It is designed for defensemen to drive the puck to the net to generate offense. Al MacInnis was once known as having the best shot in hockey. Not to take anything away from his illustrious career, but many players these days can shoot the puck 100 mph. It is now a feat that doesn't really interest fans anymore.

4. Written, 3 TPE, Extinction Event (209 words)
Bandy is one of the most popular winter sports around the world. After hockey, bandy is having huge number of participants from all over the world. As the sport is played a lot like ice hockey, it is mostly confused with it and generally considered as a form of hockey as well.mBandy is played in two halves of 45 minutes each. There are eleven players in each team and the field is more or less the same as a soccer field. This sport is played with bowed sticks and a ball. Though the game was pretty much similar as that of hockey, but the rules were not. They were not as standardized as of today. ice hockey and bandy are played on ice using a hockey stick but both of them have a lot of differences. Some of the differences are as follows −
• Bandy is played by using a ball whereas ice hockey is played using a puck.
• In bandy, both teams have eleven players each whereas in ice hockey, both teams have six players each.
• Bandy rink is larger than that of ice hockey rink.
• Bandy is played in two halves of 45 minutes each whereas ice hockey is played with three intervals of 20 minutes each.

6. Written, 4 TPE
a. (57 words) Do you let your top guys leave it all out there every night or aim for the most balanced attack possible? YES, I would ride my big dogs as much as possible. I love the strategy, that is why you pay the big players the big bucks, ride and die with my top guns.
b. (57 words) I would imply a new rule if I was on either team, if they are on the ice, we are flipping the puck over their head and running behind them to grab it. Think of it like pucks deep but in a different way. I think this play would work and we would not get our blocks shot.
c. (51 words) Los Angeles’ defense is the main point for this LAP offense, in my opinion, I think I would try to stop at pinch and try to have an odd-man rush the way back. We will clog the neutral zone and try to take away time and space from the defenseman.
d.(55 words) A Jobin is my guy so I cannot go against him, as for the other goalie, I would just go bar down every time. Pretty easy, I don’t know how other players haven’t just tried doing that? Also, lots and lots of screens is would help the team get the puck behind the goalie.

12. Milestones, 3 TPE

+3 TPE - Milestones

Total TPE: 16

[Image: gurbs.gif]

1. Verification word: word

2. I like to think that the beginning of the Simulation Hockey League looked very similar to modern-day hockey. It is today’s Simulation Hockey League that looks drastically different. Today, the league is actually 50 years into the future of the actual modern-day. Hockey in Season 63 looks unrecognizable to hockey as we know it. Ice has been replaced with solar panels. Skate blades have been replaced with little hover thingies. The pucks have been replaced with donuts. Probably the biggest change in season 63 hockey is that coaches are a thing of the past. Instead of a coach sitting behind the bench, an Artificially Intelligent entity generates lines and run practices by themselves. This made human coaches really upset at first and they even went to war with the AI coaches, but ultimately the battles was won by the robots. Players didn’t like the fake coaches at first either, but after they saw how much more competitive the games were season after season, they decided that it was for the best. (171 Words)

6. b) I think the only way you can get past the two block brothers of the league is to find a human sized hole punch and poke a few holes in the two guys. Then LA has to adjust their shot plans to aim for the puck sized holes in their human bodies. Get ready for all the goals. (58 words)

12. +3

13. Parity is not solved, and I don’t think it’s anyone’s fault necessarily. HO has taken steps to try and make things better, but I think they don’t really give the solutions they try to make enough time to pan out. Things aren’t going to fix themselves in one year. On top of that, things seem to be a bit toxic from the management end of things as an outsider. I don’t mean that people are being big meanies to each other or anything, but the amount of time you have to put into managing a fake hockey team is not healthy, in my opinion. You shouldn’t have to treat test simming like a part-time job on top of interacting with the current roster and interviewing upcoming prospects. That’s too many things to try to juggle for a fun hobby. I don’t mean to discredit the hard work that the good teams do to put really good teams together, but it shouldn’t have to be that way to create a successful team. There are a bunch of other things I’d love to dive into but I’m already passed 50 words and I’m lazy. (192 words)

18. I know nothing about how goalies work in FHM so I’m just going to make some shit up. I know lots of people say that goalies don’t seem to matter, and maybe that’s true, but now that they are all robot gods, scoring is going to go down a ridiculous amount. Get ready for every game to be 1-0 wins. Maybe even 0.5-0 wins. Every game is going to 50 round shootouts. Maybe we’ll get rid of the shootout and just go from 3 on 3 to 2 on 2 to 1 on 1… then the goalies have to joust if it really comes to it. It’ll be dope. Someone should make a simulation joust league, I’d join it. Don’t worry though, the old human goalies will still have a job. The robot goalies break down after pretty much every game since they were mistakenly programmed to take showers with the boys after the game. The old goalies will be hired to keep them fixed and up to date. (169 words)

16/16

[Image: rum_ham.gif] [Image: ox6aAot.png]
[Image: 62428_s.gif]
[Image: ddIlIkT.png]Colin Lambert ll Left Defence ll Barracuda[Image: NA3IV5m.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 09:58 PM by Kylrad.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
past

3. Written, 3 TPE, Those That Came Before (150 words min.)
When did your franchise last win a Challenge Cup? Write about that team, some of the key players, and what intangibles they had going for them to be able to win it all. If your franchise hasn’t yet won a cup, choose any cup winning team and talk about why you’d like your current team to emulate them. Did they have an all time great roster? Were they scrappy under dogs?

The Chicago Syndicate last won the cup in S57. It was a pretty special team with a lot of key players in terms of the majority of the players had been on the team for a while together and gone through the struggle of being in the great lakes and losing to Buffalo 500 times in a row. It also made the path to the cup much more special since there was probably no better teams to beat on the way to the franchises first cup other than New Orleans into Manhattan into Buffalo into Hamilton. Westbroek, Selman and D Smeb were the main stars up front offensively with P Smeb and Corey Kennedy on the back end and Ren and Dayudie as a great 2nd pair. It was probably the 2nd line however of Soderberg, Shepard and Connolly that stepped up the most in the playoffs especially in the Hamilton series that was the main reason for the success of the team along with Soonikas great goaltending. Oh and Jules Watt and Kit Smeb provided intangibles along with at the time rookie shutdown center Jurt and a young future offensive superstar Minamino.

6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

I think its a very viable strategy to ride your top guys as much as possible especially if you're depth is much weaker than your opponent but you're top guys are better than the opponents top guys. The problem comes if the opponent is running a balanced attack and all their balanced lines are equal to your top guys, then that could lead to some major trouble.

You could just keep shooting pucks at them mindlessly and hope they get injured. Or just make plays and passes around them or fake shots. Or if theyre the best defensive d on Hamilton you just don't match your top offensive guys against them. Or get a 1 goal lead somehow and protect it the whole game what could go wrong.

c. Los Angeles’ defense, on the other hand, has not been afraid to join the play and put up points. How do you prepare for a five player offensive attack? How do you counter?
Well FHM pbps do seem to have some questionable breakaway moments, so if the Los Angeles defense is going up into the offensive attack and not being covered by their forwards, perhaps more breakaway opportunities will arise for their opponents. Or you could prepare a quick transition/counter attack to take advantage of the offensive nature of their D

You could try shooting pucks at their head, that could get into their head. Or maybe some chirping, or just running into the goalie, or maybe if its like the NHL the goalies own teams defenseman will push an opponent into their goalie and then a whole brawl will start even though its the guys fault for pushing someone into his own goalie.

14. Written, 3 TPE, Blew it up (150 words min.)
In your opinion, which team is has performed a successful rebuild and built a legacy around starting from the bottom? What constitutes a successful rebuild? Cups? Playoff appearances? Is this team still poised to do great things in the future?

I think the easy answer and example to this question is the Texas Renegades. In the very first season of FHM Texas only had 9 wins for 2nd last in the league, and now here we are exactly 10 seasons later with people complaining about the same teams winning or being in the final 4 with Texas being included amongst those teams. Texas is the prime example of how of a rebuild can be done easily and carried into consistent success and maintained. From a brief look at Texas roster despite regression being much harsher, they should still be capable of doing great things in the future with some solid s58-s60 players as well as other prospects still developing. However they did recently have their GM step down and a new one appointed so I guess we'll wait to see if that changes things at all in terms of the teams management and coaching success.

Code:
12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3185135

[Image: Kylrad2.gif]
[Image: Kylrad.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 11:03 PM by Nike.)

1. CW TRIVIA +3
Nike

2.  Written +3
Back in my day the SHL was quite a different league than it is today. And back in Season 1, I can only imagine how much different it was beyond that. When I joined in the mid-teen seasons, the SHL was a much smaller, tighter group, but we still had lots of fun. Discord didn’t exist. Players weren’t created with a player tool. We did all of our updates by copying and pasting links. We made lines in STHS, not FHM. Only GMs really got to watch live streams and we read lines of codes to try and figure out who had scored and how. And despite all of that, I really look back endearingly about the early days of the SHL. It was easier to get to know everyone. I mean, when there’s less than a dozen teams and the member count is that much lower, you kind of learn who everyone is and the things that brought them to simulation hockey. And that’s pretty damn cool.

3. Written +3
The Syndicate last won the SHL Challenge Cup in S57. The Syndicate have been one of the top performing teams for the last 10 seasons or so but have had quite a few long runs to the Challenge Cup stopped short by some of the other top teams in the league. However, the S57 Syndicate ran through the regular season with more than 50 wins and a top flight roster including a number of likely future hall of fame players. Between Westbroek, Smeb, Minamino and Kennedy, the roster would give some of the best SHL teams of all time a run for their money. However, it wasn’t the quickest or easiest runs to the cup for the Chicago folks. The elusive 16th win came after losing a few games down the stretch. With 8 total losses through the playoffs, it was a hard fought victory to bring home the hardware. The current Syndicate roster has all of the tools to replicate another Cup run like the team in S57, but we have to push to continue competing deep into the playoffs.

4. Written +3
Millions of years ago, the Dino Hockey League roamed the earth. But the hockey players at the time of the Dino Hockey League, the players that walked the earth were merely prehistoric humans, like the flintstones. And while the cavemen were the rougher than the hockey players that we knew today, they still had a bit of skill. The equipment was a lot different than it is these days as well. And while the players were skating on blades made not of metal, but really thin stone (yeah, they were about as slow as you would imagine) they were having a ton of fun competing. The Charlestown Cavemen were the top team in all of the Dino Hockey League for many years. In fact, Charlestown was known for some of the most prehistoric fighters in all of the league’s history. Freddy “Dino” Flintstone was the top performer for the Cavemen. He was a rough and tumble kind of guy. He was known to use his long bone to bash his opponents over the head and sneak in for a quick and easy goal behind the defense.

11a. Written +2
Hamilton wins again. Are any of us really surprised? I know that its cool to hate on the league for not having parity and all of that, and it’s hard for me to be overly critical considering I’ve been on a top Chicago team for my entire career, but we can also all agree that it would be really fun to see Hamilton fall off a cliff. And while I’m a true believer in winning culture and teams that work harder deserving more success, its just hard to really enjoy the same team being in the finals every single season. Let’s just hope we can have more variety soon.

12. Milestones +1
Milestones +1 https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3185143

13. Written +3
Wait, we get to talk about parity again this year? What a wonderful surprise. I really enjoy talking about this every season. It’s almost as if the league has figured out a way to make all of our favorite things come to life each year. Honestly, I don’t mind that some teams are traditionally more talented than others. That’s the way that competition should work. Those that work hardest and make the most of their opportunities get rewarded with consistent success. However, the SHL has started to resemble the NBA in many ways. In that, the freedom of players to move between teams and a salary cap that isn’t quite as tight as some might like has made it so that players don’t have to stick around with franchises that are not providing them team and player success and go to greener pastures. I think the likelihood that we see another season of one of the top teams in the Challenge Cup next season is still very high and its going to be a number of seasons before we see a cup that doesn’t include the general suspects like Hamilton, Texas, Chicago or Buffalo. And there’s not anything wrong with that generally, its just that it’s a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy when those teams are bolstered by players that want to play for a franchise that is known for success when they have an opportunity to transition.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

Milestones

Trivia verification: Bleh

[Image: mtDOugA.png]

[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

Bojo Box (C. Knouse)

Task 2 - 3 TPE

Although this is only my second year in the SHL, stories have been passed down in the locker rooms through the different generations. Coaches and older players tell stories and talk of times before Francis H. Manager took the league into his own hands. Stories of coaches and players ordering hotdogs for intermissions to snack on during the game to keep their energy up for the remainder of the game. Stories of players and even goalies not wearing helmets, being fearless of the puck and potential injuries, showing scars and wounds to prove they belonged in the league. Stories and rumours of what the original Challenge Cup. Was it a beer mug? Was it a silver coffee cup? Was it hub caps collected from cars in the arena parking lot stacked on top of each other? No one can say for sure but we all have our theories hoping to be right.

Task 3 - 3 TPE

The last time the Minnesota Monarchs won the Challenge Cup was back in Season 39 when the team was still knowing as the Minnesota Chiefs. During the regular season the Chiefs posted a record of 28-15-7 averaging 3 goals a game while only holding opponents to 2 goals a game on average. During the playoffs the team posted a record of 12-2-1 leading the team to their third Challenge Cup trophy in the 34 years the team had been around and first trophy in 27 seasons. From my research and as far as I can tell there was no one on this team who stood out above the rest. Everything I have found points to this being a complete team effort with everyone buying in and wanting to succeed as much as the next person creating an atmosphere and an energy that couldn’t be matched by any other team. The team proved and showed everyone what heart, drive and motivation looks like.

Task 4 - 3 TPE

The only records for the Dino Hockey League exist as cave drawings that are still being discovered to this day to give historians and hockey lovers more to wrap their mind around and to imagine what it was like. From these cave drawing it appeared that there were only a few teams that created the Dino Hockey League. Historians have commented that from the drawings it is too hard to figure out names of teams but drawings of a velociraptor with 5 tally marks on his shoulders is a re-occurring image that can only assume this was on of the tops dinosaurs in the league at the time before the meteor hit. Historians and hockey fans have dubbed this raptor as the “Rampaging Raptor”. Images of this raptor scoring countless goals and literally tearing weaker opponents apart to push his team another day towards surviving. As far as rules historians have discovered that, well there weren’t many rules and it was essentially a no holds barred hockey game with opponents sometimes being eaten.

Task 6b. - 1 TPE

As a forward going up against someone who has 109 blocked shots, my plan is simple. Fake the shot and either pass or go around them. My thought is they can’t stop the puck if it’s not going towards them so why not fake them out. It might not be that simple, but it seems that simple. Just don’t shoot.

Task 12. +3 TPE - S63 Milestones

Task 18 - 3 TPE

With the godbots now taking over, things will never be the same. Say goodbye to your favourite player trying to see if the can set a new points record or score the most goals, cause now it’s the godbots turn to takeover. These godbots can and will do everything from passing, shooting, fighting, even deke-ing around your favourite defensemen. Players can only stand by and watch as the godbots takeover and essentially play a game of 1 on 1 for the entirety of the game into overtime until one of them, somehow finally scores allowing the players to go home and try to figure out the best strategy to take these bots on. But even that won’t stop them. The godbots will stalk and hunt the best players in the league to learn from them, improving, adapting and adjusting their strategies and techniques. Only time will tell before the godbots rise up and takeover controlling everything in the league.

[Image: keithley.png]
[Image: mcalister.png]