Create Account

S69 PT #3: Dive February 12th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

PLAYER PROMPT - We're in the run up to the playoffs and earning points in the standings is crucial. You're in a tie game with a divisional rival, third period, and you're battling for a puck in the corner (or if you're a goalie-- a scrum in front of the net). You feel an opponents stick come up and graze your chin. It doesn't hurt, in fact it barely touches you, but you have the opportunity to try and draw a penalty. 

Written Task: Do you do it? Would your player embellish the high stick? Take the dive? Try to get a call where there isn't one? Keep in mind a powerplay could win you the game here! These are important points in a playoff race! Would you take the opportunity, or is your player too hard-nosed for that? Are you a stick to the rules kind of player, or a take any chance you can get to win kind of player? (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Show me your player embellishing an infraction against them.

HOCKEY PROMPT - A similar prompt, but talking more about hockey at large in the modern era.   

Written Task:  What do you think of embellishment calls and diving in the NHL? Do you think they're called too much? Not enough? Is it a necessary evil to make sure the referee actually sees that something happened? Even if it wasn't that bad? Do you think there are players with deserved reputations for diving? Maybe undeserved reputations? (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Show me your player in the penalty box trying to talk the ref out of making a call on you. 

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Sunday, February 12th at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB or SSL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2023, 02:44 AM by hockeyiscool. Edited 1 time in total.)

Dwight Knight has always been a hardnosed old schooled type of hockey player. Built like a tank, due to having exceptional balance and strength. He has always carried himself to not overreact to anything or embellish things that happen on the ice. However, he would definitely wince not due to the hit but due to the reaction of something going towards his mouth. Dwight has made it so far into his career without going to a dentist and he does not plan on starting now. So instead of embellishing the slight swipe to his face by holding up his hands to his mouth like so many have done before him. He instead just jerks away from the blade of the stick and carries on his normal play. The jerk should be enough to draw a penalty if the referees were paying attention anyway. His embellishment should not have been enough to draw a penalty if the referees did not see it initially. 

[160+ words]

PT Pass

[Image: Caleb_H.gif]

Embellishment calls are not called enough in my opinion. The other problem seems to be they often only call it with a coincidental call. I truly believe if the ref feels the player dove, then it shouldn't be offsetting penalties. Take the player that dove and move on. Especially now, with powerplays being at an all time high, and goals are much more frequent. Players are going to feel more inclined to dive around if they know they are getting the calls. It only takes a couple weeks of calling it more often for players to realize they cannot keep doing this. The league has to make a statement, and stop rewarding players for going down easy. They want a skill based league, then make it a skill based league. I understand the argument of "well the players stick shouldn't have been there", but these are professional athletes. They just need to do better

[Image: Svatos2.png?ex=660626ee&is=65f3b1ee&hm=4...height=350] [Image: sig.png?ex=660330ca&is=65f0bbca&hm=574bd...9bdc77fda&]

Honestly I think theres a healthy mix. Obviously there have been some super agregious flops in the past, im sure mike smith comes to mind for many of us. But I also think the refs happen to miss more obvious calls than there are players flopping. Honestly as long as we dont start mimicking some of our favourite soccer playing thespians i think the level of flopping is acceptable. Players have done stupider things to try to turn the tides in their teams favour, and if they start developing a habit of it and the refs catch wind it starts being actively detrimental as the refs will stop calling penalties drawn by that player whether its a justifiable call or not. At the end of the day if a player or a team wants to take that risk to get a slight advantage its up to them. That said we all know about makeup calls, that that 2 minute advantage really is a very minor gain when it comes to the course of the game.

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

So, as someone who doesn't watch the NHL, I can actually give some input from the perspective of a fan of other forms of ice hockey.

Specifically, college (I don't think I saw a single embellishment call in the eighty bajillion international tournaments I've watched so far). In Hockey East, they do call embellishment, but more often than not it is paired with a tripping call on the other player. We jokingly have grown to call this the Hockey East Special, one where a ref can't decided who was guilty so fuck it, they're BOTH guilty. It's a lazy cop-out for refs who are afraid to change the game with their indecision. That being said, I think embellishment is a bit overstated in the sport entirely, especially where its top levels are less about "calling by the rules" and more "game management." And while I do believe in stricter refereeing than we see normally (the crackdown on obstruction was one of like, 2 good post-lockout rule changes and it didn't even stick that long), there does have to be some sort of punishment to make sure guys don't try to game the system.

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

Code:
Written Task: Do you do it? Would your player embellish the high stick? Take the dive? Try to get a call where there isn't one? Keep in mind a powerplay could win you the game here! These are important points in a playoff race! Would you take the opportunity, or is your player too hard-nosed for that? Are you a stick to the rules kind of player, or a take any chance you can get to win kind of player? (150+ words)

Ben Jammin has been the captain of the Chicago syndicate for 2 seasons now (if my memory is correct) and he knows that he needs to provide leadership by example and will do whatever it takes to secure a victory for the Chicago syndicate

Ever since Ben lead his junior team the Kelowna Knights in penalty minutes his rookie season there, he has had it out for the refs and knows that refs like to play favourites. We all know that Ben isn't the best skater out there and if an opposing player's stick is caught between my skates, there is a high chance that I will go down and make the referee call a trip.

With how tight 1-3 is in the Central division this season, every game and point matters so getting any advantage in the second half of the season is extremely crucial to having a favourable matchup in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Home ice advantage is also key because as of this post we are undefeated at home and opponents coming into Chicago have had a tough time playing in our building.

(188 words)

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla @MattyIce for the player signatures! 

Player prompt
I would not embellish anything, as I don’t want to win when it’s not deserved, but I would actually mention that a stick did hit my face, and would let the referee decide whether it’s worth giving a penalty or not. Edžus is an honest player who respects his opponents and I believe the entire team would back him up. Being a good sport isn’t bad, in fact it shows you value respect and honesty more than the desire to win at any cost, even if you’re doing something unethical. What if, later that game, you were punished for high sticking due to the same player embellishing a play, just like you did minutes ago? Edžus would one hundred percent choose not to embellish the play, because he’s an honest guy. I’m pretty sure the coach would understand, too, even if the game is lost, because there are going to be more opportunities in the few minutes left and if you cannot capitalize on the chances, then it’s a problem.

170 words

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]

Player Prompt: Written Task:

It's a tough situation to be in, where a crucial powerplay could lead to victory with so much on the line. However, it's against the rules, and in bad faith and poor sportsmanship. No matter the cost, It would be unseemly and out of the question for Roddy to take a dive to get a soft call. Regardless of the stakes, or even the lack of consequences, even if he could get away with it and no one would ever know. It would eat him up inside for years to come. Play on, and win the game fair and square. That's what it's always been about, that's what make it worth playing. There's really not much more to it than that, so I'll just re-word it and repeat myself to get the last 30 words out. Diving is shitty hockey, and winning a game from a powerplay off a dive would feel cheap.

[Image: banes.png]

PT pass

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

Answering for the player prompt:

Vaseline Podcalzone has been around for a while now. He understands just how important those points are, especially in the midst of a tight playoff race. It has to be done. Now, the reality is, embellishment is an art. For the most part, it's going to be somewhat obvious to the official when a player is embellishing. Clutching an arm that wasn't slashed, holding the wrong leg after a tough spill, or flopping down as hard on the ice as possible after a minimal stick check. Those ones are the ones that really get players (and probably officials) upset... I mean, come on. At least try and sell it in a realistic manner.

So, this is how it goes. Slash that barely gets you, or doesn't get you? That's sell-able, within reason. Turn the head up, feign like it hurt, duck down and clutch face. I mean, it would be ridiculous to flop on the ice like a fish. Make it realistic.

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]

Written Task: Do you do it? Would your player embellish the high stick? Take the dive? Try to get a call where there isn't one? Keep in mind a powerplay could win you the game here! These are important points in a playoff race! Would you take the opportunity, or is your player too hard-nosed for that? Are you a stick to the rules kind of player, or a take any chance you can get to win kind of player? (150+ words)

I know a lot of people get extremely butt-hurt about this kind of thing. And I love it. I mean if you're not taking the potential powerplay for your team then you're not winning right. Yeah, I understand the "win with honour" bullcrap but you look me in the eye and tell me the other team wouldn't do the exact same thing if it was happening to them and they're desperate for these points just as much as you are.  I might get chirped and I might even get a bit of disrespect from not only my peers but the other teams but guess what we're on the powerplay and we could potentially win this game and the points for this game could make it or break it for our team when it comes playoff time! But like I said you look me in the eye and tell me that if one of your teammates sticks grazed the chin of an opposing player when its all tied up in the dying minutes of a game and they're not going to flop for a potential powerplay to win the game, you're lying one hundred percent. 

[Image: hammer_time_sig.png]

[Image: gXlAFBa.png][Image: 8CbZQAJ.png][Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Hockey task:

When it comes to diving and embellishment calls in the NHL or in the ice-hockey generally, we have to understand that referees are also human beings. I was in the beginning a fan of video checks in soccer and ice-hockey but nowadays I am fine to accept that also referees make mistakes and they are part of the game. There is a famous Finnish band called JVG and in one of its song they sing "If you don't cheat, you don't want to win". As a player you do everything you can do help your team to win a hockey game. In my opinion the best option would be that there wouldn't be video checks and if you are caught of diving in real time, then a referee can give you a penalty. But if you are good enough to slip away, then your team gets a reward from that and a power-play chance. Just keep it simple, please.

[Image: salming.png]

Player prompt

This is out of question, probably won't think twice about this opportunity. I definitely draw the penalty there. In fact, it is a high stick coming towards me in the heat of the game. You can't be that rational to not draw that penalty in a very important game with a lot of playoff and seeding implications. You take any chance you can get. It is no dirty style of playing, it is just normal to take that chance. The opponent should just have kept the stick low, it is his own fault to let me draw the penalty. In fact I know very well that if it would have been swapped positions, they would to the exact same thing. In playoffs and games with implications to them, you take any chance you can get and don't think twice. Let me have that powerplay and potentially score the game winning goal. Don't think twice and just take the opportunities you get.

[Image: CcmpTg8.png][Image: sakro_-_withecheck_-_Inferno.png]

Quote:Written Task: What do you think of embellishment calls and diving in the NHL? Do you think they're called too much? Not enough? Is it a necessary evil to make sure the referee actually sees that something happened? Even if it wasn't that bad? Do you think there are players with deserved reputations for diving? Maybe undeserved reputations? (150+ words)

Diving and embellishing is terrible for the sport and I am a pretty big proponent of stiff punishments when it comes to these kinds of things. Obviously if a player gets a stick in the face, the head will snap back, so I understand that kind of thing but the instances where it is clearly a player jumping or faking it in replays, those should be punished imo. I think the NHL has done a decent job of cleaning it up because I don't think I've seen as much of it as before. I am not sure what the rules are currently but I would definitely be fine having retro-active suspensions or fines where they punish players caught doing it. Whether or not you think the NHL is doing a good job, you have to admit that it isn't nearly as bad as soccer. Now that is some frustrating diving which sucks because I played the sport and it hurts when someone's cleats jab off your leg but when people watch the sport and see some of the over-acting, it makes the real injuries look fake and it gets questioned.

[ 196 words ]

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]