Create Account

S73 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time

With one season already flying by, let's take a deep breath and step back for one second here.
Task: You just played out your very first season in the SMJHL to start a new chapter in your career. Overall, how would you say you performed in your rookie season? Did you meet expectations you set for yourself individually? What do you need to improve on for next season? Were there any glorious moments that will forever be enshrined in your memory? (150 words min.)
You will receive 4 TPE for fulfilling all the requirements.
Only S73 SMJHL Rookies (S74 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.
Deadline: Sunday, November 12th @ 11:59 PM PST
Finally, as this will be the last SMJHL PT you will do, on behalf of the SMJHL PT Team, I'd like to congratulate you all for completing the first season of hopefully many great ones. We wish you best of luck in your future careers!

[Image: pyro182.gif]

Thank you hewasajazzman, Slothfacekilla, Sulo, Frenchie, and Raymond for the sigs Smile

I went into the season a humanoid, evolved peanut who had never really played hockey before and came out someone's hand-puppet that ended up underperforming.  The task goal for the season, and for all concerted efforts is still to become a goalie's best friend as a defenseman however compared to other rookie defenseman in the league it was definitely an underwhelming performance.  At one point it looked like the formula I was following was right on track as I was sitting at the top of blocked shots for rookies, but once the end of the season hit I was down to second for rookies at 161 blocked shots.  Still not a bad performance, however with such a rough plus-minus and corsi rating the question remains whether or not it was the teams universal surprising underperformance, or was there an element I was missing?  Maybe I didn't hang out in the gym enough to build up more strength?  Maybe I didn't watch the tapes enough to get a better idea of what the opposing team was going to do on offence?  Regardless, I think I have a solid baseline to build off of in the coming seasons, and in the future.

I think my rookie season was a solid learning experience for me as I had never done something like this before. Getting 40 points after many dry spells in the season was great, but I think I will definitely set the bar higher next season. Outside of points, I was able to get more comfortable with the community and able to navigate the site and such much better, which was a major goal of mine.

I think I have learned to improve on being able to build a player much more efficiently and have that player mesh better with their linemates. Going forward, the biggest area of improvement will be time management and being able to do Media. Other than that, maybe I'll look up some YT tutorials on Photoshop because I am no good when it comes to graphic design.

A glorious moment will be the race to 40 points that I had this season. It was coming down to the wire and one of our last games got skipped being shown the stats on accident so I had no idea how it went for awhile until the index was updated. When it finally was, I first saw that it was a loss and I got a little disheartened and jokingly immediately said in the locker room that we need to replay it. Then I checked out the details and saw I had a goal which put me at 40 points exactly and wrote "nevermind, silver lining".

[Image: lhlsigv2.jpg?ex=65cd244a&is=65baaf4a&hm=...5a69dcac4&]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig

Overall I think I performed somewhere around my level of expectation going into the season. Defensively, I put up a pretty good number of hits for a winger (142) and was pretty please with my low number of giveaways (44) and overall giveaway/takeaway ratio. My +/- was -11, which could obviously improve - but overall I think I just about met my defensive expectations. On the offensive side, I exceeded my own personal expectations, logging 15-30-45 good for T-4 on the team in points. This was a bit unexpected, but got a big boost thanks to my Powerplay usage. While I'm not known for my offense normally, my defensive acumen earned some PP time playing on the point. 

What needs improvement is the ability to drive the play. Overall I'm pretty disappointed with my advanced statistics, with Corsi and Fenwick both below 50 and my REL% for each being just about bottom of the team - all my teammates seem to do better when I'm stapled to the bench. This is not my intent, and so i need to find a way to improve on it for the second season and try to drive play a bit more. I'm not sure if this is something i can work on personally or would improve with different usage and tactics. Maybe my skating needs to improve, and that would help?

The glorious moment of the season for me so far was notching the GWG in games 4&5 of our opening playoff round to eliminate QCC. As a defense-first forward, that was a pretty nice contribution. Overall, my +/- and advanced stats have improved a bit in the playoffs so far, so maybe that is a positive sign for S74.  

\

When Squidwardo Tentacles first entered the league, I was hoping for around 40 points, 20 goals, 20 assists would be a great start for my SMJHL career. I was hoping to earn as much TPE as I could in order to improve as the season went on and be a ppg producer next season. Surprisingly the sim was very nice to me and started off with a hot start of 11 points in the first 8 games of the season, spending no time on the powerplay as well. By the end of the season I was able to pass my expectations and hit 55 points with 20 goals and 35 assists. While also leading the team in hits with 163 and having a +/- of 0. I was expecting to be better defensively and not hit as much as I did but it ended up working alright for my first season. Next season I'll have some improved offensive stats that I already improved (after the playoff upgrades closed unfortunately) and I plan on rounding out my defensive deficiencies over the offseason in order to not give the puck away so much. The big part of the season is finally here though, with the Yukon being given a first round bye for the playoffs, starting tonight we will be able to hopefully pull off an upset in the second round!

There were a lot of glorious moments in the Yukon locker room over the past season, from learning about the Dutch tradition of Sinterklaas, Tanner walking all over the state, Seppanen trying to stay in the top 10 in points for defenders, LHL trying to hit 40 points, my last 6 games trying to get that 20th goal that didnt come until the second last game of the season, and so many more.

[Image: TheOPSquid.gif]

Let me just start by saying it's crazy that we're already at the end of our rookie seasons, it really does feel like onlu yesterday I was thinking about the SMJHL draft and where I might end up! In terms of the rookie season itself, I'm happy with how Emil was able to perform. Being a part of a Falcons team that put together a rookie class that it really leant on for team success was highly enjoyable, and putting up 40 points as a rookie in a fairly limited role was a decent start to Emil's time in the SMJHL. I think it'd be good to get better at scoring goals next season, as I'd imagine given more responsibility I'll be called on to deliver more than I did as a rookie. Winning the team's first playoff series in a little while against Quebec CIty was definitely a massive highlight for the season and one it was great to be in the locker room for, so hopefully that playoff form continues and I get to enjoy a few more great moments with the team in my rookie season.

Code:
189 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Frøya went into the season with a decent amount of pressure on her shoulders. Being drafted 7th overall, meaning top 10 in the class and also first half of the 1st round meant that she knew she'd need to perform. She wanted to reach a 30 goal campaign and hoped to be able to reach 60 points which is most definitely a high ask for a rookie but being with her twin sister Sonja, she believed in herself. She exactly met the 30 goal mark she had set for herself, but was unfortunately one point shy from hitting the 60 points she wanted to see from herself. That being said, she was voted on being one of the alternate captains of the team in her rookie season and thus she very much could not be sad with how the season turned out. Now she stands in the middle of the rink even after being eliminated from playoffs, her one biggest regret, hoping that she can improve on all aspects of her game and prove herself worthy of becoming the next first line center for Québec City and potentially hold onto that leadership role for the future.

[Image: h1VQUxn.png]

As a Necron lord, it took a lot for me to learn the human game of hockey. Coming into the league I was putting points wherever seemed fun instead of what made me a better player. I had a lot invested into faceoffs and offense despite my position as a defender. The main issue I had was interpreting the statistics and trying to better understand how it relates to my player. Coming from other sports leagues, I'm accustomed to looking at a +/- like I'm basketball or WAR in baseball. There were advanced statistics that attempted to do the same thing, but with how much luck becomes involved with things like shot % those tend to fall flat in accuracy. So instead I just decided to become a defensive stalwart and altho that hasn't entirely prevented blowouts for the team, i would love to think I helped elevate us to not only make this playoff run, but also beat a team in QCC that had the best of us in the regular season.

Well, considering that the three rookies on the Detroit Falcons finished fairly similarly with around 40 to 45 points, I have to say not bad. This is especially true considering that we did not do special deployments like Quebec City did with Celeste Desjardins who posted insane numbers, and that we were all relatively balanced players between offense and defense. I mean, I wish that Tomlander showed a bit more offensive chops, maybe got closer to a point per game or so? But as it is, I'm not too disappointed. Detroit is also a relatively young team, and we had a terrible first 20 game schedule with many back to backs. I wonder if that schedule was not like that, if that means that Detroit could have managed to get a better result and beaten Regina or Newfoundland for second place for seeding purposes. Oh well what is left is to get as far into the playoffs as possible and see what comes out of it.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

With season one of the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League in the books for Meo, we can now look back and discuss how it went. After joining late to this years rookie class Meo missed the draft. He knew going into his draft that it would not have been a very exciting draft knowing goalies would not place very high either way. Meo kept earning and showing he can be a key member on any team and out of know where Anchorage reach out about signing. They mentioned he would most likely be a more stable backup role for them as they did draft a young goalie. He still knew this would be a big opportunity and accepted right away. The year went really well Meo went 4-2 this year (though it shows 5-7 is because when he was added to the roster for some reason he took on the previously inactive goalies 1-5 record). It was a good year coming in to give Stun a breather and though he did not get a look at playoff experience being on the bench to watch Stun's performance will help grow his game for the future.

Quote:194 words

[Image: image.png?ex=65728e45&is=65601945&hm=aa5...7eb2e58f9&][Image: vanbiesbrouck_ff.png?ex=6578c8f6&is=6566...a506d1cd1&]
Sig by adamantium

Overall, I'm very pleased with what I was able to pull off in my first season - both when it came to the performance of my team as a whole (especially when factoring in some extenuating circumstances around lines being set), and how far I was able to come as an individual player. While I joked a lot about fighting going into the season, I was ecstatic to see this was actually the highest fighting season since the sim switch - with none other than Bog Damsel leading the pack, while also managing some generational PIM stats. That said, the rest of my game was pretty lackluster. I racked up some assists and blocks, but I'm excited to continue into next year and develop on both sides of the...puck? I don't know the slang for it. I was pretty anemic on offense, and have a good ways to go and I'm very much looking forward to making the leap over the next few seasons.

I'm not too concerned about the SHL yet, there's a lot of time left down here to improve and we have plenty of strong players leaving this year with big skates to fill. You cant expect to win one and consistently compete after, but I'm going to remain hopelessly optimistic that we'll manage to pull it off with renewed spirit in a couple of seasons.

[Image: hamsahoney.gif]

Leonard Wood's first season with the Colorado Raptors went as well as I could have hoped. It was a growing year and we all grew together as a team. My statistics were average for the second line, nothing spectacular and nothing terrible. So even an average looking year for point production from a first generation player is considered a success.

There is nowhere to go but up as I build off of this year and into my sophomore season in the SMJHL. As evident from the uptick in the second half of the season, I adjusted well to the pace of the league and built chemistry with teammates along the way.

A special moment I remember is when I scored a short handed goal early in the season. Also scoring my first power play goal was memorable too.

As the Raptors are enjoying their offseason from not making the playoffs, I no longer feel like a rookie. I feel like a veteran that's ready to win.

[Image: Leonard-Wood-1.jpg?ex=65e9fdaf&is=65d788...3d17ea60e&]

Even though this sentient Cob of corn came in late in the season, I’d say it was a pretty great rookie season for the amount of time I had. I would say I hadn’t set expectations for myself but that I simultaneously exceeded them in almost every way due to talented teammates and a stellar coaching staff backing me up. Probably the thing that needs the most work for Cob O’Corn next season is his defence, closely followed by some of his future attributes. I know that those kernels can look suspiciously like a 24 pack, but I promise you that it sure ain’t. Probably the highlight of the season, while being disappointing in the end, was our first round playoff appearance where we took a team that should be better than up to the brink in the series, I just wish my player had been able to do more to help us turn them over in that series. Next season will be one of major growth for Corn O’Cob, as he gets to know his teammates better and also gets to learn his own game better. Corn O’Cob wants to be noticed next season.

[Image: zFE0mSA.png]      [Image: HKi05IH.png]     [Image: KS8UYv9.png]

My first SMJHL season is in the books and wow was it more amazing than I could ever imagine. From the ups and downs of the season to all of the great locker room memories I will remember this forever.

Performance wise the season was pretty mid on a personal level. Juan just never really had dominate performances, but was more so just doing cardio most of the time. That being said I broke the 20pt mark as a defender which was my scoring goal for my first season. Next season should be better as I actually have the capped 325 tpe so my stats aren't terrible like they were at the start of last year so hopefully I can break 30pts and a positive plus / Minus.

More important than individually the memories I'll remember from this season are our team memories. Beating St.Louis 7-0 in our first game was exciting and really bonded us rookies and our God king Net Man. Even Losing to Detroit in 5 games was fun and stirred up the begins of what I hope to be a budding rivalry.

[Image: fFccrkD.png]

The first season for me went far better then i expected and i hope it will continue to be that way i also had an amazing moment with my first career goal in the SJMHL and i can still remember every goal and point i have made this season along with that im looking to improve myself to the fullest for the next season with plenty of training and training to get better and to help yukon win the playoffs in the next season at (insert what year it is) playoffs i will mostly focus on goal scoring on the training since this season i had plenty of shots but they just didn't go in so im hoping next season more shots will go in and i will have plenty of more chances to score also so overall i feel like next season will be one of the best i will have in SJMHL

[Image: cVahF90.png]