Create Account

The Thoughts of La Sombra - The SMJHL Draft [2x Draft Media]

The SMJHL draft was a night to remember. More rookies than you could count flooded into the arena to see who they would end up playing for. Amongst the sea of prospects was one Andrade La Sombra. La Sombra had been signed alongside another left winger in Literally Wizard to the Nevada Battleborn towards the tail end of the season. While La Sombra’s first time on the ice was as part of Team World during the WJC, La Sombra remarked that his time in the Battleborn locker room was filled with delight, and he had learned quite a bit around veterans and other draftable free agents alike. 

While he had done his best to impress scouts, general managers, and anyone else watching, it wasn’t up to him where he would go. The best teams in the juniors had scouted him, and La Sombra would be lying if he said there wasn’t somewhere he desired to go.

But nothing was guaranteed when it came to the SMJHL draft. Anyone could grab any of the rookies at any time. And with the amount of talent all crowded into one arena, La Sombra had to stand out as much as he could.

The picks continued to fall. The top tier of draftees continued to be grabbed. And La Sombra patiently bided his time. A few reporters noted during this time that there was little unrest on La Sombra’s face. Hiding his eyes behind tinted glasses, La Sombra seemed unbothered as they entered the second round. And as they did, the confidence was shown to be foundational.

In round 2, at number 17 overall, Andrade La Sombra was drafted by the Colorado Raptors. Scouted multiple times by this esteemed club. La Sombra gladly walked the stage and took his deep blue jersey in hand. Now, he was a Raptor; an opportunist who would take the opposing team into his talons, and tear them apart with his fast and aggressive playstyle.

Being accepted into the Colorado Raptors was a dream come true. Andrade La Sombra was going to play in the SMJHL. As a forward in his rookie season, it was bound to be a tough journey. With the support of his family, his newfound team, and his passion, La Sombra was going to take the world of hockey by storm.

La Sombra spoke to reporters during a press conference after the draft. He spoke highly of the team that had drafted him in Colorado. and when asked about his placement, spoke highly of the many teams that spoke to him over the course of the draft process.

[Image: VVaCtpodbPMK9uLZJDiaA4gYieLH18uW5i3AsrvT...GlBBgBGsOk]
“A great team that I was lucky to be a part of. An experience for the ages. To the general managers, I wish you best of luck. You will need it if you face off against Andrade La Sombra.”
[Image: SFYd-RfOQLES7JelXuo9OcD_IdSQM8TP6ebPUk94...1QrgMW0clc]
“The first to reach out to me. Answered many questions I had going into this process. Mutual interest, yes, but Andrade La Scarecrow was not to be this time.”

[Image: wj0uSy9wEOO9tC9Npz5EeENyBMmvocICh2H87YAG...epLcsjhgjE]
“I spoke to Carolina two times. Both times… I was impressed. Yes, I expect great things from the Kraken. No greater than the Raptors. But they picked very well in this draft.”

[Image: Opt_-orEL_dpObSb40td7jPK1d-J69KNQO_8nIdA...l62pVx0wxg]
“Ah, Yukon… this was more… conversation than scouting. A conversation I was happy to have. Yukon knew who they wanted in this draft, I feel. Very energetic team.”

[Image: KxJw6Ak6g2jTkwUk-xlPFEqFg68mPuqqhFT9_ZOr...ZOsULEdR5E]
“The very same. Very informal. Casual. I enjoyed it. No picks in the first round, though. Kelowna had to be picky. I do not blame them for grabbing O’Dirga… a very good prospect.”

[Image: 01EL0laHh9HfhJXHPBPGcDfonGR39omVWE5l76kS...AYDaKLUW4I]

“I am very happy with the conversation I had with the managers here. We came closer and closer to pick number six. The closer we got, the more… I feel, I was not on their radar. That is okay. We will cross paths.”

[Image: m6rF3n50n9W1qJjM_N2YGzy_etp5eXM52nOk28fE...6Lh0Cdc9lk]
“Very, very good conversation. Muy bien. I was pleased. I am confident in my ability. I do not believe I would have fallen to 22 or 28… without a trade? No chance. None. But a good team. I can not wait to face them.”

[Image: FkSNTcamXXZTMxhfq2cnlSCR1ek6Tj5Wr7megiBa...jc-dV3dS9g]
“A worthwhile conversation. They felt receptive, so to speak. To help me through the process. Through the draft. The former champions, so… a good team. Would be better with La Sombra, but they picked who they picked. The Lavoies wished to stay together, so they got their wish.”

[Image: s5nMB30nZGQEhCpvmzbY9GOGh5LNVe_OVWxLCK88...oby2NXLKh0]
“An abundance of choice for these birds. Pick 5 in the first round. None in the second. Many great prospects fell to them. They took perhaps… the greatest of all of us? But only time will tell, eh? I will show them. But… good conversations.”

[Image: yJcLZRP7LFBU14uGjyGdzTHd_o23JpIxzpIY4VmN...rUIw7dRu7A]
“The Elk were a last-moment scout. I do not blame them; they had many prospects to choose from. I was happy they reached out at all, you know? But their picks fell behind me. The Raptors seized their opportunity.”

Everyone else?

“All other teams, I did not hear from. And more power to them, you know? They knew what they wanted, and what they wanted was not Andrade La Sombra. But I will gladly show them the mistakes they may have made. As a Raptor.”

Andrade La Sombra ended the press conference soon after these comments. Only time will tell how true Andrade La Sombra’s words will become. The training with Colorado began in earnest, and La Sombra looks like a true steal in the second round. As he begins to show his aptitude on the ice, the SHL and its teams will be watching very, very closely.

Code:
922 words

[Image: 9kneOLq.png]

I was honestly surprised you were available in the second round, good luck in Colorado!

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]