Create Account

S74 SMJHL PT #5 - MVP
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2023, 09:07 PM by BadWolf. Edited 2 times in total.)

Pardon the Holiday misalignment. Here is the next PT!

The Ideen Fallah Trophy for MVP as decided by the Awards Committee is the most coveted individual award in the juniors league. Who is on track to win it this season?
Written Task: Which players are in the running for league MVP? (150 words min.)
Graphic Task: Create a graphic comparing the top 3 MVP contenders. Must include team logos and renders.
Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)
Only S74 SMJHL Rookies (S75 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT. NOT S76 DFAs
Link PBE, ISFL or SSL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.
TPE will be added to the portal.
Deadline: Wed, January 3rd @ 11:59pm PST

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Taking a look at the best forward, defensemen, and goaltender, all three of these players could find themselves in the hunt for MVP by the end of the season.

Forwards: Langston Hardison-Laurent (Yukon Malamutes)  Malamutes
Currently tied for first in goals and leading the league in points, Langston has proven to be a force to be reckoned with on Yukon. Coming off a 40 point season in their rookie campaign, this left-winger has exploded onto the scene this season, looking to more than double their points total by seasons end. This performance has helped take the Malamutes from an uncertain mid-table team, to a lock for the SMJHL playoffs.

Defensemen: Leo Roze (Quebec Citadelles)  Citadelles
Last season, Quebec’s biggest weakness was having a hard time protecting their net. This season the Citadelles are top of the standings due to a huge uptick in defense performance, and Leo Roze is perhaps the biggest reason behind that increase. With an incredible 53 plus/mins (16 higher than the #2 player) Roze has been lights out on the Quebec defense, even with a pair of rookie goaltenders behind them.

Goalie: Ben Harris (Newfoundland Berserkers)  Berserkers
Flying under the radar in is Ben Harris, who in their third season has been incredible for Newfoundland. Despite having a near 50/50 split in game time with Launchpad McQuack, they are among the league leaders in almost every goalkeeping stat. 6th in wins, 4th best in goals against, 2nd in shutouts - all with a .906 save percentage. Keep in mind, this is all without being top 10 in games played, the loss column, or goals against.

I'm unfortunately not as familiar with the advanced statistics in hockey as I'd like (even if I'm familiar with the names & most being percentiles that are better as you go higher).

With regards to forwards, QCC's Jeff Hunziker seems to be a natural choice from simple volume statistics. He's #1 in Points, scarcely out of the top ten for Assists (currently 38, #10 is 39), and tied for first in goals with Langston Hardison-Laurent. But he's ostensibly out-competed by his teammate Leo Roze, a defender with an absolutely absurd +53 in plus-minus, the leader over even his own teammates by at least 16 net difference. In my opinion, that difference by itself is enough to give him a clear MVP if there were to be no further games played -- especially knowing that the first couple of lines for QCC are clustered in the +25 to +30 range for Plus-Minus.

What's especially undeniable about Leo Roze is, despite playing on an elite team, he's still eating a ton of shots. Consider that most of the defenders in the top 10 play on teams that see a substantially larger volume of shots, and only Artturi Lappalainen has any substantial advantage over Roze in sheer volume of blocked shots -- but that Quebec has only allowed 120 goals to St. Louis' 258. You could make an argument that Roze is helped by a PDO of 105.4, but there are still a half dozen players higher. If relative Corsi and Fenwick are the objective higher determinants then this may be to Roze's detriment.

[Image: qgldMOE.png]
Thanks @Amidships!

isfl +

[Image: zayn.png?ex=65e9b101&is=65d73c01&hm=c0f0...y=lossless]
Kyle Sux Lmap

Unfortunately i have no idea who is doing good outside of the Battleborn. So im just going to say my dear friend and fellow goalie Lukas Konecny now im fairly certain he doesn't even get put on the ballot but one can hope his insane rookie talent as a net minder is enough. Lukas's consistent and stellar performances under pressure have not only secured crucial victories but have also demonstrated his reliability as a goaltender. His impressive save percentage and shutout records highlight his dedication to excellence and his unwavering commitment to defensive prowess. Beyond statistics, Lukas's leadership qualities have been evident in his ability to inspire and motivate his teammates. His calm demeanor under pressure and willingness to go above and beyond to ensure the success of the team make him not only a standout goalie but also an exemplary team player. In addition to his on-ice contributions, Lukas's sportsmanship and professionalism both on and off the rink make him a deserving candidate for the SMJHL rookie of the year award and the MVP. His dedication to the sport, coupled with his remarkable skill set, make a compelling case for why Lukas Konecny should be recognized as the top goaltender in the league.

Hard to argue past Hunziker, who's at damn near a goal a game pace. Already over 50 with 10 games left in the season.

They've gotta be a shoe-in as far as I'm concerned but I'll also make a brief case for my teammate Shadow Fenix. 36G, 38A, 74P in 54 games is an amazingly well rounded stat line. They also have +4.1% relative corsi which would indicate great possession, meaning that as a center Fenix clearly drives their line and does it well. Their shooting is resting at 15% which feels a touch high but this late in the season it's hard to argue that it's going to come crashing down to Earth. Clearly Fenix just has the touch this season, and they don't seem to be letting up. They're no slouch on the power play either, netting 21 points total on it. They're a huge reason that teams are afraid to go down a man against us, so you gotta give Fenix credit for making the other team think twice about getting too physical. Tough to justify a hard stick to the wrists if you know the Raptors are extremely likely to bury one on you in the ensuing powerplay.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]

[Image: rVvuUbI.png]

[Image: dinonuggets2.gif]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png]
Credit to Amidships & sulovilen

1. Jeff Hunziker the forward for the Quebec City Citadelles is coming off a record setting season in season seventy three and now is continuing to put up absolutely incredible numbers for the Owls. He is second in the league in goals scored with an incredible fifty one so far and is one goal behind the league leader. Jeff has an impressive number of assists with forty one and totals ninety two points which is good enough for first in the entire league and boasts a plus fofrty two which is third best in the league.

2. Langston Hardison Laurent has exploded from a just okay rookie season and is now leading the Yukon Malamutes and the entire juniors in scoring with fifty two goals. He also has recorded multiple hattricks for the Malamutes and has thirty eight assists and has a total of ninety points which is second best in the entire league.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

PBE Affiliate

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid and swoosh for sigs!

Jeff Hunziker from the Quebec City Citadelles, Shadow Fenix from the Colorado Raptors, and Langston Hardison-Laurent from the Yukon Malamutes are all on pace for the Ideen Fallah Most Valuable Player trophy for this season. These players have the highest point totals, and all have high plus/minus scores. They all play for strong teams helping to elevate their sides past their opponents week to week. Hunziker leads the league at ninety-two points and a whopping forty-two plus/minus. Following Hunziker is Fenix who has a strong thirty-eight plus/minus, but only eighty-five points. At third on this writer's list is Hardison-Laurent who boasts ninety points on the season, but only twenty-nine for their plus/minus score. A combination of high points and high plus/minus indicates a general tendency for a player to be playing well on both ends of the ice which helps their team win more games. I am sure there are more advanced stats to look at to give a better view, but these two stats are a good place to start.

[Image: uMyJK4x.png]

From the St. Louis Scarecrows, a couple of players are worthy in contention despite the very rough season. The first one being shouted out should be König Wolf. He has over the course of this season become the all time leader in goals and points for the Scarecrows, to cap off a wonderful time in the J.

Another one is Nevadas wonderful goalie Just Perfection. Often standing on their head, they are one of the leading goalies in the entire league. Highest GSAA and just a standout performer on the team.

Another goalie stepping up is a little bit of a wild card, Karter Mendenhall has been lights out for the Yukon Malamutes in their quest for glory, and is one of if not the best rookie of them all. High Sv%, High GSAA and a carry performance of a lifetime, the youngling should be in consideration of the highest honors that can be bestowed upon a player in the SMJHL.

[Image: K6ykz0o.png]
Theodor Larsson
TimberTimber
pridepride

1. Quebec City's Jeff Hunziker is the leading scorer on the best team in the league. He's Number 1 in Points, Number 2 in Goals behind Langston Hardison-Laurent and has put almost 20% of his teams total Goals With the only drawback being that his teammates are so good it may detract from what he has accomplished on the ice.

2. Lily Jin Morrow Currently sits 5th in goals with 38 and 10th in points with 72 while scoring significantly less than their counterpart Lily has been putting up the numbers with a far worse team having contributed on 73 of the teams 224 goals and contributes the highest relative corsi and relative fenwick lily seems to be one of the few things keeping Vancouver out of the bottom of the league this year.

3. Just Perfection With 21 wins a .911 save percentage (Good for 2nd in the league) and a ludicrous 30 goals saved above expected Just perfection is taking one of the worst defensive teams in the league and leaving them in the top 5 in terms of total goals against.

Langston Hardison-Laurent and Jeff Hunziker are neck and neck on the skater side, with Just Perfection leading the way for the goaltenders. Hardison-Laurent leads the goals race at the moment but lags just behind their rival on assists and points. If they can build a decent lead in goals, they might just have a shot, even without taking the points lead. Hunziker is narrowly behind in goals, but has the assists and points edge. Although neither are a leader in the assists department, so perhaps that will be set aside when the final decision making is done.

Just Perfection on the other hand is having a very strange but incredibly dominant season. On the leaderboard for Wins and Losses in Extra Time, a reasonable GAA and a leader in SV%. But almost double second place in GSAA. Perfection has made a miraculous amount of saves and should be allowing so many more than they have.

I will do a check on some candidates - starting with forwards:

From QCC, LEAN ON (COCONUT MALL) and Rowan O'Beirne both have exceedingly high FF%. LEAN ON ends the season with 34 points however, not that strong of a show. Rowan O'Beirne however ends with 67 points, above PPG. Being very solid in the powerplay as well, scoring 5+18 there. To me, Rowan O'Beirne has a clear shot at taking home the award.

As for defenders, Teal'c shows up with also a very impressive FF%. 44 points with a +/- of 2 however does not indicate a clear candidate for the award. Leo Roze, not far behind in FF% instead shows a solid +/- of 60(!). Now all has to be argued as to how solid of a team that QCC actually is compared to how well equally good players have been in worse teams.

Goalie, much more difficult to evaluate. but Just Perfection has the second most saves in the league and presents a solid 91.3%. A truly solid keeper that has won games for their team and is truly a leader on the ice. To me, this is a clear favorite to win Ideen Fallah Trophy.

[Image: Halkohol_SHL.gif]

Well first and foremost I can tell you who is NOT going to win the most valuable player award and that would be none other than Ongo Gablogian, the art collector. He had an awful season and just was not good.

Anyway.

If I had to pick anyone to win the most valuable player, it would not actually be the top couple people in the points categories. If you look at them, they both are top two in points and also top two in goals, but neither of them are even top ten in assists. So I would pick a more well rounded player in Shadow Fenix. Fenix is third in points, and in the top ten for both goals as well as assists. In my opinion, I would take a more well rounded player who can dish the puck AND score over someone who is a pure goal scorer. But that is probably why the armada sucked when I was their gm.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤