Create Account

Song, Dupah, Konecny, Speak on SHL Draft Experience [2x Draft Media]

A brief interview with a few of the QCC rookies who were selected in the SHL draft.
(Requesting the payout for this media gets evenly split between all interviewed players who participated and wrote their parts. Myself, @CR225 and @Konelu )

With the conclusion of the S75 SHL draft, Quebec saw five of their rookie players get their names called on Saturday. To the surprise of few Demir Bellona went first overall to Montreal, just as Quebec took the dashing defenseman 1OA in the SMJHL last season. The Italian born player is seen as having incredible potential both on the ice, and as a key locker room figure; a real star amongst the rookies of not just the Citadelles, but the SMJHL as a whole. Later in the first round, Fredrik Gronlund learned they’d be joining another Canadian outfit, with Calgary calling the tall defenseman’s name. Going 17th overall, the addition of Gronlund further establishes what is a growing contingent of Quebec players to join the Dragons recently, with Ryland Murphy, and both Solberg twins also assigned to the team from Calgary. Given the lack of media available for these two star rookies, interviews were secured with the rest of the rookie class, a bit more raw, but just as eager to make their dreams of playing on professional ice come true.

Song Ju-Gong – Goalie  Citadelles

Draft: Montreal – 1st round, pick 19.  Patriotes

The young Korean goalie had a standout year among rookie players in S74. Leading the league in wins over the regular season, Ju-gong posted some of the best stats among all goalies in the competition - second in several areas only to Lukas Konecny (read below). With a 30-5-6 record in net, it was not surprising at all when the Busan born player was taken as one of the very first goalies off the board. With a 2.40 goals against average, 3 shut outs, and a 0.907 save percentage, Ju-gong undoubtedly looks like one of the best goalie prospects playing in the J.

Reporter: Thank you for your time Ju-gong, first off, how are you feeling after the Draft?
Ju-gong: It’s always such an honor to hear your name called. I want to thank my family, my teammates, and Montreal for taking a chance on drafting me. I’m just happy to know my destination and ready to get to work.

Reporter: Cameras noticed a rather surprised look on your face - and even dropped your phone upon your selection, did you not expect to land with the Patriotes?
Ju-gong: Well to be honest, they were not one I was expecting. That and I assumed I’d be in the second round based on all reports. I apologize for accidentally making a show of things. Like I said, I’m simply happy to have been named at all, I was not upset in any way whatsoever. But uh, I’d be happy to take a recommendation for a new phone.

Reporter: What are your thoughts on Montreal then? You must be excited to join your teammate in Demir Bellona?
Ju-gong: I’m excited to join them. I know their record from the last year, but a lot of their best players are still improving down here in the SMJHL. While we may take some time, I’m hopeful we can all improve together as a team and change the fortunes of Montreal. Obviously I’m happy to play alongside someone as talented as Demir. Not only are they a great defender, but a great friend off the ice as well. I’ll always have someone to enjoy Italian and Korean restaurants with. We’ve already been to everything in Quebec City, so now we can see what Montreal has, hopefully better choices.

Reporter: Do you have any goals for your career in the SHL?
Ju-gong: I simply want to help whatever team I’m on, and give m y teammates a goalie they can rely on. But honestly, I’ve spent little time thinking about the league, as all of my focus right now is with Quebec. Once I’m promoted I will give it proper consideration, but currently I simply want to win as much as I can with my Citadelles teammates.

Reporter: Any final thoughts or comments on the draft?
Ju-gong: I just really want to thank my family again, they are my support through everything, and I wouldn’t be here today without them. I will do my best with Montreal, and try not to break my phone again. Thank you for the time.

Supah Dupah – Left Defense  Citadelles

Draft: San Francisco - 2nd round, pick 34.  pride

The rookie player from Pittsburgh covered depth positions for the Citadelles, even playing out of position to help the team down the stretch. While certainly one of the under-the-radar players in Quebec, their performances in playoffs and potential to grow were more than enough to convince San Francisco to trade up to get the defenseman. Supah is not only a hard working player for the Citadelles, but well liked in the locker room by fellow rookies and veterans alike. With improved minutes certainly coming Dupah’s way in the upcoming seasons, the Pride may have found a player that can make a real difference in the bay.

Reporter: Good to catch up Supah, how do you feel the draft played out for you?
Supah: I think it was about what I expected. I thought there was a possibility of me slipping into the third round but I’m very grateful to be taken in the second.

Reporter: Was San Francisco always the team for you, or were you left guessing like the rest of us?
Supah: San Francisco wasn’t really a possibility in my mind until about five picks before they selected me when I was reached out to by them. But being able to be on the same team as lore will be really cool and it was a team I was kind of unconsciously cheering for in this past season since lore was on it.

Reporter: You enjoyed some great playoff games this last season in Quebec, would you say you’re starting to find your form at this level?
Supah: I would say so, yes. It felt like my offense finally started to show up and I improved on my defense enough where I think I was a pretty safe option to put out there with a lead. Sucks how it ended but I’m confident in this next season we’ll be even better.

Reporter: Rowan O'Beirne was recently called up for San Francisco, do you think it will help having a familiar face on the team you know already?
Supah: No doubt. Me and Rowan didn’t have too many interactions but when we did we meshed really well I think. Rowan was also a huge catalyst in me getting drafted to San Francisco so I feel a lot of trust coming from there.

Reporter: What are you hoping to achieve as a player? Both for Quebec, and San Francisco?
Supah: I wanna win championships. I will play the role the teams need of me of to win, that’s always been my mindset. I also hope I retire with the Pride as I want to be known as a very loyal and team focused player.

Reporter: Any final thoughts or comments on the draft?
Supah: Not really. But of course congrats to Demir for 1oa and all the other QCC rookies who were taken in the draft.

Lukas Konecny – Goalie  Citadelles

Draft: New Orleans – Round 3, pick 48.  Specters

A true unsung hero from Quebec’s regular season dominance this last season, Lukas enjoyed an outstanding rookie campaign. Not only did the netminder earn a league leading 6 shut outs, but also sported the top save percentage (0.917) and goals against average (1.97) of all goalies in the SMJHL. These strong numbers, along with a being a notable team player with desire to improve was enough to convince New Orleans to call the rookies name. With three season left in Quebec, the young goalie will have plenty of time to prove the Specters right in their trust.

Reporter: Thanks for making the time Lukas, to kick things off, how excited are you to end up with New Orleans?
Lukas: Thanks for having me! Yes, I am very excited to be picked by New Orleans and even more to play for them in the future.

Reporter: You’re gained a bit of attention due to your enjoyment of drinks after games, does New Orleans as a famous party city seem like the perfect match for you?
Lukas: Its the perfect match like you say, will try to enjoy my time there as much as I can.

Reporter: Despite back up minutes, you put up some of the very best goalie numbers in the entire SMJHL, is there anything you think helped hit the ground running as a rookie?
Lukas: It was definitely the defense of QCC that carried me whole season and I am thankful for their support.

Reporter: Do you have any big goals for your career, either in the SHL or the SMJHL?
Lukas: Just to have my name remembered for at least some time when I retire in the future.

Reporter: Any parting comments you have about the whole draft experience, or anything else on your mind?
Lukas: Watch me when I get to SHL, Thank you for having me!

(1,661 words. 2x Draft Media. Again, please split the payment into thirds for myself, CR225, and Konelu)

Love it. That reporter has a bright future

[Image: kcP9WEd.png]

[Image: SFLJy.gif]

Fantastic interviews from underrated players!!

[Image: h1VQUxn.png]

you're missing a qcc rookie

already forgotten sadge

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

01-20-2024, 11:05 PMKalakar Wrote: you're missing a qcc rookie

already forgotten sadge

You play for QCC?

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

01-20-2024, 11:34 PMsve7en Wrote: You play for QCC?

that's it I'm going up rn

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

i love my rookies!

[Image: Fm35hEW.png]

01-20-2024, 11:05 PMKalakar Wrote: you're missing a qcc rookie

already forgotten sadge
huh?? When did you get to Quebec?? Weird

[Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60] [Image: kahri.gif][Image: 1161116581909246052.gif?%60]