Create Account

Matviy Cajabi interview [2x Draft Media]
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2024, 08:02 AM by bobdigi9. Edited 1 time in total.)

This article has been translated from Ukrainian media outlet "Our Sport"

Joining us today is Matviy Cajabi, who has decided to take his hockey skills to North America and try to become a pro in the SHL.

OurSport: Thanks for joining us today, Matviy. How are you? Some of our readers may not be aware of the SMJHL. What can you tell us about the league and the draft process?

Matviy Cajabi: Thank you for having me! I'm doing great. excited. nervous. Draft tomorrow. This is my first time being drafted in any league I've played in. I've always just been in a team, so this experience is completely new to me.
To be honest, I didn't know much about the SMJHL or the SHL before coming to North America. One of my coaches advised me to move here to showcase my skills and improve my hockey future. I talked to some of the teams, so now I know a little bit more, like some of the teams' names.

OS: What was that experience like with the different teams?

MC: It was a little scary at first. Of course, my English is not very good, so I had to rely on my translator. I try to answer in English when I can. But I feel like I'm getting more comfortable with each interview. Most of these players that are in my draft class are used to it, so they know what to expect. I became friends with a few of them and it made it easier for me and more fun. Alexa Johansen went out of her way to make me feel at home, so I really appreciate her and all the players I got to talk to and get to know.

OS: You've never played in North America before. How well do you think your game will adapt to these leagues?

MC: Yes, that's a good question. But hockey is hockey, right? I do not know. I think it will be fine. I know there will be some adjustment period. I know the rinks are different, but I think it will be new people. Most of the hockey I played, I played on the same teams with the same players. So, we know each other. Chemistry. So now I just have to focus on my game and what I can bring to the table. I know all these teams are very good and have great players. I am sure that they will help me and make me feel part of the team.
My dad also played professional hockey in Europe, so he has some experience playing with some guys from North America. Over the years he's passed those tips on to me, so I think what some people might think I'm a typical European player, I really have the skills to suit that style of play.

OS: Do you have any indication of which team might draft you? Or where would you like to play?

MC: Not yet. I feel like the new kid on the block and not many teams have seen me play. In Ukraine, we do not have such a large reserve of players as some countries. So, you know, other kids play in big international tournaments and they get a lot of recognition. And it is fair. They are all very good players. But scouts don't come to Kramatorsk very often, you know?
So, I tried to make a good impression with the interview. Some teams only ask a few questions, while others we talked to for a long time, so the feeling after that was good. But they don't tell me "hey, we'll pick you." So, whenever a name is called at the draft tomorrow, it could be mine. I don't know when. #1! (laughs). No no. I do not know.
I currently live in Manitoba with my family. I think maybe it would be nice to play close to home? They can come to see me play, support me. So Regina is the closest I guess? But I didn't talk to Regina, that's why (shrugs).
In the end, it doesn't matter, does it? I'm far from my real home, so I could be in Regina, I could be in Nevada. I'm fine anywhere.

OS: I'm sure you have plenty of other interviews and media events lined up, so we won't keep you long. Finally, what was the best part of the experience overall? And what advice would you give to your teammates or anyone else from Ukraine who might consider you a role model and want to follow in your footsteps?

MC: It's once in a lifetime, isn't it? I don't know anyone who has done it, gone through it. I am very lucky to have the opportunity to come here and do what I love. From Kramatorsk to Las Vegas. This is madness. Look at this! (looks around).
Yes Yes. Traveling, meeting new people, making new friends, it was all very good. It's hard not being home, but all these new things are good and help me forget about home a little.
A role model? (laughs). No, I'm just Matvii from Ukraine. If someone asks me, I will tell what my mother told me. - Eat your borscht! (waving his finger and mimicking his mother's voice). Just kidding. She tells me to always work hard. It doesn't matter what. Hockey or something else in my life. I work hard so that I can always tell myself that I did my best.

Code:
Word count: 991

[Image: bobdigi9.gif]