Create Account

Deep Dive #1: My honest opinion about SMJHL logos
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 08:23 AM by Revontulete. Edited 1 time in total.)

This is opinionated and there's no hate to any team here ♥

Armada Anchorage Armada: The Armada logo looks ripped out straight from United States Navy propaganda. From my perspective, it’s a decent logo that’s graphically simple enough to work on smaller displays but I feel the blue second ship feels a bit disjointed from the rest of the design.

Kraken  Carolina Kraken: I genuinely love this logo, but I feel it suffers from an over-reliance on orange. If there is another colour, perhaps blue, that helps break up the orange can do much to increase the recognizability of this logo from afar. Past that, I love the asymmetric nature of the name’s tilt to add to the further chaos that a “Kraken” brings. If I were to nitpick, perhaps switching Carolina and Kraken in the logo could help emphasize the one part of the logo that the logo’s visual doesn’t represent.

Raptors Colorado Raptors: I think this design is genuinely good. Contrast colours are always fantastic with each other, and using one as an accent of another is one of the best ways to use that effect. While the raptor’s design looks rather derpy, I believe that just adds to the design’s charm.

Falcons Detroit Falcons: This piece is representative of a falcon, and it does that rather well. I feel this logo is a bit too empty though, and more can be done to represent Detroit as a location as well. Otherwise, the jagged nature of this logo is unique to others.

Grizzlies  Great Falls Grizzlies: The Grizzlies has a fantastic logo that was able to emphasize the thick fur that a grizzly bear would have without overdoing it. I feel the logo is rather “busy” visually, but that comes with the territory of adding visual interest in the fur pattern.

Knights  Kelowna Knights: The colours on the Knights are great, but I feel the logo overall is rather bland, as if I’d find it used by a tech startup. I feel Kelowna could redesign the logo to add more character and visual interest to the knight so central to the team. One way could possibly add a black cutout on the helmet’s jaw that’s indicative to the team.

Timber Maine Timber: Maine’s logo is fantastic for demonstrating hints on the team’s name and location. The M integrated smoothly into the tree log as well as the axes goes the distance to really accentuate the main(e) concept of the team. The muted colours, instead of trying to rely on striking designs really ties this entire logo together cohesively.

Battleborn Nevada Battleborn: The text on this logo helps outweigh the top heavy design of the ram and helps tie its identity together. I personally love the design of this logo and if I were to nitpick, the name can be removed with the ram centered for an alternate logo in small images.

Berserkers Newfoundland Berserkers: The Berserkers logo is great, and the animal skin helmet does a lot to add character to an otherwise “angry man”. It doesn’t indicate a place (Newfoundland) but that isn’t always a bad thing. Newfoundland is a long name and would only serve to complicate an already circular and cohesive design.

Highlanders Ottawa Highlanders: I feel this logo almost falls into the category of being too much visually, but I’d like to point out a few details I personally like. The “Highlanders” banner that allows for a more broad shouldered man to stretch out of the crest, the sword into stick, and the colour shades allowing for it to look rather matte in a way other logos don’t are many ways this logo sticks out as unique.The hand feels out of place, almost a bit too cartoony compared to the rest.

Citadelles Quebec City Citadelles: Many (but not all) logo designs can comfortably fit within a square or a circle. This logo can’t do either, and is more comfortable in a rectangle. This helps with the recognizability of the design in a way not immediately recognized. I like the design, and it’s recognizable no matter its resolution. Now, this design is meant to represent a citadel. I feel to better represent that concept, the Q in the center needs to represent the protrusions of an actual starfort.

Elk Regina Elk: I don’t know if it’s intentional, but the use of the purple is phenomenal to me. The further antlers being shrouded in the shadow of the elk adds a 3D nature to this piece. This logo is phenomenal, though I don’t know what the brown shading in the antlers on the top left is about but it sticks out on its own in my opinion.

Tidal San Diego Tidals: The San Diego skyline in the background is a decent touch, as well as the sticks at the bottom allowing for a more complete, rounded feel to the logo. Making the sky a sunset to integrate the orange into the sky is also nice. The rest of the logo feels too busy though. There is an entire spectrum of grey. I know the tides affect surfing conditions, but I feel that’s a stretch to tie with the name as well. While I feel this logo could work well after being refined, it currently lacks a cohesive look.

Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows: Leaning away from the clean lines many other logos rely on, STL’s scarecrow relies on its horror aspect with a “dirtier” look. The hatching shadows on the hat and coherent design is phenomenal. It’s unique in so many ways that really makes the logo hard to miss in every possible way.

Whalers Vancouver Whalers: Vancouver puts more emphasis on the crest design which is great, but there’s a few things I don’t like about this logo. The words on the top of the crest feel plain, even if the V and R do a good job to frame the piece. The logo focuses more on the mountains that surround Vancouver than it does the namesake of the logo. The whale tail, and even less the harpoon that Whalers use to hunt the whales. It’s like the logo reversed its priorities on what it's trying to represent, but it’s nice to see a logo that at least attempts to represent the city its based in. (Sorry Seany I still love you)

Malamutes Yukon Malamutes: There’s nothing bad about this, but it feels like a furry drew this. This malamute is staring into my soul. What I do find troublesome about this logo is that it fails to represent the full, fluffy fur that a malamute has from what I’ve seen. The colours contrast poorly and the attempt to add extra blue to the eyes feels disjointed to the piece. I could go on, but I’m sorry I just don’t like this logo.

Really cool analysis. Love the deep dive

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

You what now

I'm actually so sad

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]

Approved @Revontulete

[Image: CptSquall.gif]